RVR's 1st Annual 525PP European Car Shootout!!! Final Tester and Tuner Results! :D

• Thread starter Akira GT
  • 1,341 comments
Oh…well, if I do remember anything from my short joyride in it was that it was rather woolly, it rolled a lot for a supercar…and 200hp less? That's…~420hp?! How flat is the power and torque curve?!

It's a sure thing to be stupidly flat. :D

I think if people get on the bandwagon I'm going to have that 600PP shootout with a limit on power limiter use. No offense to those with it, I just don't like it.

Oh…well, if I do remember anything from my short joyride in it was that it was rather woolly, it rolled a lot for a supercar
Yeah, but it's meant to be for excitable street driving, not all out lap times. ;) Take it to GVS and see what I mean. 👍

…and 200hp less? That's…~420hp?! How flat is the power and torque curve?!

Reasonably flattish. The figures are going up tonight anyway. But at the moment, I need a hp break, so I'm off to play a few hands of poker. 👍

It's a sure thing to be stupidly flat. :D

I think if people get on the bandwagon I'm going to have that 600PP shootout with a limit on power limiter use. No offense to those with it, I just don't like it.

I totally agree with this. 👍 Allows people to play with things uniquely, and not just slap on all the parts and then limit the power. :cool:

Reasonably flattish. The figures are going up tonight anyway. But at the moment, I need a hp break, so I'm off to play a few hands of poker. 👍

And then you'll lose all your money and then your monkeys will starve :D And I'll walk into the remains of GME and go joyriding in them :lol:

I think Onboy has CyKosis1973's Caterham. It would be good to add this to the OP or in the tune itself.

Should be detailed at the bottom of the build. Maybe shoulda stuck it at the top. OnBoy is indeed kindly hosting for me...

{Cy}
EDIT - Hi BigBerry, I'm up in your neck of the woods at the moment. Spending the week on Loch Awe. Amazing part of the world...

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm driving Temetias's Opel Speedster now, and with grip set to real, it feels very strange and disconnected, but when set to low, it handles like a dream and I adore it!

I only did 1 lap on low compared to 6 laps on real and low was over a second faster, so we need to make sure everyone knows were driving with real grip

I didn't know that either... However, I did my tuning mostly with real, but tried to balance between both, for drivers driving with low.

Just to confirm, GTLife - Practice - Laguna Seca - Grip Reduction Real?

Hmmm. I'm driving Temetias's Opel Speedster now, and with grip set to real, it feels very strange and disconnected, but when set to low, it handles like a dream and I adore it!

I only did 1 lap on low compared to 6 laps on real and low was over a second faster, so we need to make sure everyone knows were driving with real grip
According to the rules in the OP the only thing specified is the track - Laguna Seca. The rules don't state whether the tests be run in practice mode or in an online lobby or what grip reduction should be set to. The important thing for the test drivers is that all tests be conducted under the same conditions. Actual time isn't as important as a fair and level test. The times should show close to the same spread regardless of grip reduction. You would probably find a larger discrepancy in times testing in an online lobby as the different physics would effect the cars but even then the results should be fairly consistent. Again the important thing is that all cars be tested in the exact same manner.

Just for reference I conducted my tuning using low for grip reduction so my car will most likely suffer much worse results using real grip than cars tuned exclusively using real grip reduction testing on low. This is my fault and not a reflection of the drivers skills or testing methods.

Remember as Harvey Wallbanger always says...
Drive hard and have fun!:cheers::gtpflag:

Last edited:
I tested offline in practice mode with grip reduction - real .

I just went online with a C63 AMG I tuned for the shootout its a dog online haha.

Like some others I assumed grip=real, but its not mentioned in the op.

Ive no idea now my Countach handles online, badly I fear :D .

If you all so desire, I'm good with re-doing the runs I've already finished with grip on real. I don't think it will make too much difference to my times as so far, I'm almost religiously sticking to the tarmac. When I drop any wheels on the dirt I end up backwards in a fence anyway.:grumpy:

If you all so desire, I'm good with re-doing the runs I've already finished with grip on real. I don't think it will make too much difference to my times as so far, I'm almost religiously sticking to the tarmac. When I drop any wheels on the dirt I end up backwards in a fence anyway.:grumpy:

No need fo that if you have stayed on the tarmac, I think. The difference ain't that bad IMO. :)

No need fo that if you have stayed on the tarmac, I think. The difference ain't that bad IMO. :)

I'd sort of hoped that might be the response I got. I did the real thing for the FF shootout, and I know it's a little thing, but having to change the setting each time I did a run gave me the pip. I did a couple of runs on low after I'd finished my testing for S&Gs and didn't see any noticeable difference.

No way to use my tune "ONLINE" mode. My car spin more than "TAZ". For the grip configuration ,this do not affect cars and tune but only drivers. So ,for this it can be the way everybody decide. But one way only for every testers.
Personally, i like to drive on asfalt only, i can cut some grass only in low speed chicane like the one at Suzuka before the straight for example, that's all.
This will be a great shootout, just would like to see a RUF RGT....:guilty:. Next time.

Very good, 3 out of 18 tuners can't be wrong. Unless Dylan over-rules with his one vote to rule them all, I'm going to call that a majority vote (it's a wonderful thing, my reality).

bigberry
Power limiter should be maximum 5% id say.

Let them use the power limiter as much as they want, it starts hurting them when they limit more than 5%. If they want to take the hit, I say let them. It's only hurting them not helping.

Last edited:
Results are trickling in! Initial run of 10 laps yields the following (notes to follow soon):

1'29.427 - Audi R8 4.2 (Praiano63)
1'29.533 - Lotus Evora (Zero_speed)
1'30.220 - Audi R8 4.2 (Jackthalad)
1'30.256 - BMW M3 '04 (AssassinTuner)
1'30.517 - Audi R8 4.2 (Dylans1o)
1'30.618 - BMW M3 CSL (CSLACR)
1'30.681 - BMW M3 '07 (Dr_Slump)
1'30.843 - Audi TTS (ACSR421)
1'30.991 - Lamborghini Countach LP400 (Bigberry)
1'31.043 - BMW M3 CSL (Slayer1002)
1'31.322 - Pagani Zonda C12 (GFxJG)
1'31.511 - BMW M5 '05 (-raVer-)
1'31.563 - Audi Pikes Peak Quattro (XDesperado67)
1'31.660 - Lamborghini Gallardo (Mafia_boy)
1'32.120 - Pagani Zonda C12 (MadMyk)
1'32.207 - Opel Speedster Turbo (Krenkme)
1'32.496 - Lamborghini Miura (Shmogt)
1'32.961 - Opel Speedster Turbo (Temetias)
1'36.908 - Caterham Seven Fireblade (CyKosis1973)

Notes...

Lotus Evora - Zero_speed - 1'29.533
Loving the brakes on this car! They have a sense of urgency without being harsh and catchy. The car steers well on and off the binders. Aesthetically, this thing is killer! I love me an orange car but that carbon hood really does something for it. Not that aesthetics really matters but...

Audi R8 4.2 - Jackthalad - 1'30.220
Unbelievably good brakes. Had to keep adjusting my points up to get the max out of them. For an AWD I didn't notice much in the way of understeer and did notice that it was well planted coming out the Corkscrew. On aesthetics again, the matte paint looks very nice on this car.

BMW M3 '04 - AssassinTuner - 1'30.256
Back end is slippery on power as expected from an M3. Better than some of the FRs, worse than others; high middle we'll say. The brakes feel nice and tight which helped turn in the most consistent times I've done so far.

Audi R8 4.2 - Dylans1o - 1'30.517
Feels a bit squirmy on hard braking and, strangely, like it was losing grip as the tires warmed up. Best lap was done on the first go with the others getting ever slightly slower. Will be interesting to see what a second run will do for this one.

BMW M3 CSL - CSLACR - 1'30.618
The rear was very sensitive to power on exit and had me sliding around quite a bit at the start of the laps. It does turn very smoothly and the brakes just kind of do their job without any drama. Another car that should yield interesting results on a second run as this was the first to hit the tarmac.

Audi TTS - ACSR421 - 1'30.843
Quite a bit of understeer on power, which seems more pronounced in higher speed corners. Turning while braking moderately to full on will light up the outside front tire every time.

Lamborghini Countach LP400 - bigberry - 1'30.991
Just a bit of understeer on power but fairly easily dealt with. Brakes are hard but work well for the car. Good through the Corkscrew and overall a stable feel.

BMW M3 CSL - slayer1002 - 1'31.043
Pushes just a tad on exit but also has a slippery rear in slower corners. Took some getting used to and should be better on a second run.

Pagani Zonda C12 - GfxJG - 1'31.322
Very small sweet spot in this car where you can get a good run. Switches back and forth between under and oversteer very easily.

Pagani Zonda C12 - madmyk - 1'32.120
Good brakes on this one but it does have some push on exit. Felt quite fast but I couldn't get the power down as soon as I would have liked.

Opel Speedster Turbo - Krenkme - 1'32.207
Very slidey out back with a bit of understeer on entry. Just felt...sluggish to turn in to the corners.

Caterham Seven Fireblade - CyKosis - 1'36.908
The time belies how much fun this thing is. Such a blast to rev the nuts off the Fireblade! Difficult in the tighter corners. I think that the lightness and lack of power just didn't match well with the course.

Last edited:
This will be a great shootout, just would like to see a RUF RGT....:guilty:. Next time.

I posted my Pagani so early, then tuned a RGT that is probably faster than the Pagani. It did not make it into the contest, but I posted it in my new tuning garage (see signature below).

I have a couple other cars I will post soon that I thought were good enough for the shootout - RUF 3400S, Ferrari California, BMW Concept 1 Series tii, TVR Tamora. Well maybe not the Tamora, but it is a heck of a lot of fun in the British Lightweight seasonals. :dopey:

Anyway, great contest that is so open ended, so many choices for cars. I'm looking forward to the results!

No way to use my tune "ONLINE" mode. My car spin more than "TAZ". For the grip configuration ,this do not affect cars and tune but only drivers. So ,for this it can be the way everybody decide. But one way only for every testers.
Personally, i like to drive on asfalt only, i can cut some grass only in low speed chicane like the one at Suzuka before the straight for example, that's all.
Yes, anyone that dares attempt my car in an online lobby probably won't make it around the track - ever.
I've never noticed a difference between "real" and "low" grip reduction on the tarmac, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Can't wait for the Testers to be unleashed.

I saw a Telsa Roadster today. (surprised I was ) I wonder if it would be good for this event, I know Telsa is Americano, but its still a Lotus Chassis. Be funny testers running out of battery.

Yes, anyone that dares attempt my car in an online lobby probably won't make it around the track - ever.
I've never noticed a difference between "real" and "low" grip reduction on the tarmac, so that shouldn't be a big deal.
But my car is a 4wd SUV...that means its faster off the tarmac right?:crazy::D

@Cykosis Cool my friends fish there all the time, im from Paisley . Pompey=Portsmouth right ?

Yes indeed Sir, building boats in conjunction with some of your countrymen on the Clyde. Been to Glasgae today as it goes.

I'd like to say I'm missing being a bit more involved in the action here, but I've been in the hot tub all night..!!

Back