Should there be a mode in GT which allows full access the all the cars immediately?

• Thread starter phantomzm
  • 165 comments

Should there be an mode in GT which allows full access the all the cars immediately?

• Total voters
Grinding is such a chore.

This is Gran Turismo. Not Pokemon.

-

For someone doing two to three jobs and watching kids at odd hours when not working, a videogame habit is difficult to sustain.

-

For that same person, a videogame habit that requires you to run the same hour-long race series a hundred times over simply to earn money rather than for the thrill of victory is too much like hard work. In GT3, doing that hour-long series to win F1 cars of different colors was fun. But that's a commesurate reward for the amount of work. Nowadays, GT has been hit big-time by the inflation bug. You have to race many more hours to afford that single unicorn... That doesn't require skill. It just requires you to not have much else to do with your life.

-

The thrill of "owning" a car and customizing it with new paint and wheels, as well as choice upgrades are a good argument for "Career" mode. Otherwise, an "Arcade" mode (with Career Physics, mind you) with a simple "unlock" system would help decrease the dragging, grinding nature of the single player experience.

Forza 4 has at least a couple hundred cars ready for arcade and split screen racing. GT6 has something like 20. Even GT5 had maybe 50+ cars in arcade mode, and there were enough prize cars to build up a decent collection as well.

I propose trust fund mode.No work or effort required; simply sit on your lazy duffs and expect the world served on a silver platter ( work is for real people that have that elusive traight... reality in their lives).

i would have hade more fun with GT6 if all cars were available to use from start.
even now i havent used all cars i'd like to race with and dont want to repeat and repeat boring races, specially when GT dont have a proper race creator.

Forza 4 has at least a couple hundred cars ready for arcade and split screen racing.
Forza 4 has all the cars available in arcade mode from the start, and it also allows players to access all of their career garage cars in arcade mode. I remember spending a good deal of time on my first week with the game just doing practice laps in arcade time trial.

How do you know? It just sounds like you're taking how you feel and applying it to everyone else. If people had to play career mode in order to customize, tune, and upgrade cars, then there's still purpose in it. And personally, that wouldn't be my only reason to play career mode. I also play it because it allows me to do races and events that aren't possible in arcade mode.
Just common sense. Work and reward, thats the point of career mode. If there's a reward without work, USUALLY (not always) there is no work.

FS7
Forza 4 has all the cars available in arcade mode from the start, and it also allows players to access all of their career garage cars in arcade mode. I remember spending a good deal of time on my first week with the game just doing practice laps in arcade time trial.
That is the reason why I play Forza 3 and 4's arcade mode, because GT6's arcade is quite poor.

Just common sense. Work and reward, thats the point of career mode. If there's a reward without work, USUALLY (not always) there is no work.

If we had all of the cars in the game in arcade mode for GT6, it'll be a reward for all of us, but long, hard and tiring work for PD.

I propose trust fund mode.No work or effort required; simply sit on your lazy duffs and expect the world served on a silver platter ( work is for real people that have that elusive traight... reality in their lives).

Plenty of people worked to buy GT6 as well as the PS3 that they're playing it on, so I still don't see your point here. Wanting games to be fun isn't an unreasonable request.

Work and reward, thats the point of career mode.
You're missing the point. We're talking about arcade mode, not career.
Video games aren't full time jobs, they're just entertainment. The whole talk about "work and reward" is as irrelevant as completion percentage & trophies. Different people have different concepts of reward (eg: my concept of reward is having a good competitive race, which is totally non-existent in GT6 offline).

Like I said before it's fine having to acquire cars to customize and use in career mode, but it would be nice if all the cars were available from the start in arcade mode, so that I could test drive them before buying, as well as spend my time driving cars I like, not grinding credits.

FS7
You're missing the point. We're talking about arcade mode, not career.
Video games aren't full time jobs, they're just entertainment. The whole talk about "work and reward" is as irrelevant as completion percentage & trophies. Different people have different concepts of reward (eg: my concept of reward is having a good competitive race, which is totally non-existent in GT6 offline).

Like I said before it's fine having to acquire cars to customize and use in career mode, but it would be nice if all the cars were available from the start in arcade mode, so that I could test drive them before buying, as well as spend my time driving cars I like, not grinding credits.
In arcade mode I agree, access to all cars but you cant change anything to them, only tires.

In arcade mode I agree, access to all cars but you cant change anything to them, only tires.

Do you remember the fact that we can quick-tune our cars in arcade mode in GT4? I hope we can also have that, but instead of boosting the power by up to 20%, make it 50%. And for dropping the weight, instead of 10%, make it 20%. We can also adjust their transmission settings too. Having all the cars in the game plus quick-tuning like this = ultra-fun arcade mode.

A mode where you can drive all cars anywhere would take a little bit of the fun of GT. In the Pokemon games, most of the time you have to start from scratch and people collect them all anyways. GT is totally different from Pokemon, but the same principle applies, collecting cars is one of the biggest appeals to the GT personally.

However options are also good, an arcade mode where you get cars as you progress in the game would be good, but not all cars should be driven from the start, it takes away a little of the working for a common goal that GT is, known for.

On another note, it would be awesome if future GTs allow you to transfer cars between games like from GT6 to 7 or whatever.

However options are also good, an arcade mode where you get cars as you progress in the game would be good, but not all cars should be driven from the start, it takes away a little of the working for a common goal that GT is, known for.

But GT4 had an arcade mode with tons of cars available from the start?? It didn't hurt the collect them all feeling one bit when I played it

Grinding is such a chore.

This is Gran Turismo. Not Pokemon.

-

For someone doing two to three jobs and watching kids at odd hours when not working, a videogame habit is difficult to sustain.

-

For that same person, a videogame habit that requires you to run the same hour-long race series a hundred times over simply to earn money rather than for the thrill of victory is too much like hard work. In GT3, doing that hour-long series to win F1 cars of different colors was fun. But that's a commesurate reward for the amount of work. Nowadays, GT has been hit big-time by the inflation bug. You have to race many more hours to afford that single unicorn... That doesn't require skill. It just requires you to not have much else to do with your life.

Was trying, a while back, to get people into conversation about this; completely agree

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/could-removal-of-in-game-currency-work.308551/

In arcade mode yes, but career mode and online, no. The only
exception would be picking a car online for spec racing or shuffle mode (if they ever re-implement it)
Why not? How is your game impacted if I have that option and you also have the option of a traditional GT style career mode?

That's not my goal, my goal is to drive cars, enjoy the physics, race online and tune. I daresay I'm not alone. GT has the worst career mode of any "sim" in the last 15 years and I have no interest in slogging through it to "earn" cars or money. So I'd ask the same question. How is your game affected if you retain the option of the classic career mode, and others have the option of a sandbox mode?

So I'd ask the same question. How is your game affected if you retain the option of the classic career mode, and others have the option of a sandbox mode?

Because if you're not with me, you're against me. And if you don't think and feel the same as I do, then that implies I could be wrong. And I can't be wrong, ever, under any circumstances, therefore you and your non-agreeing ways are not only wrong, they're evil! EVIL I SAY!! :mad:

Kinda the same way gay marriage damages the sanctity of straight marriage. You know, the ones that have a 50% divorce rate. Sanctity indeed. :rolleyes:

Sorry, you probably wanted a logical answer. I'm fresh out of those. :lol:

I enjoyed this feature in Forza3/4 (it was also in GT4 arcade mode) I always wanted it in GT5/6. Ofcourse I am talking about Aracade mode, just for fun !
At least in GT6 we have every car (?) available to buy as new from the begining.That is a BIG step forward.
I play Gt`s from GT1 but I never enjoyed cycled used cars.
Look at Gt5 , some people where obsessed with collecting all cars,used with 0/0/0 and such. That was MADNESS.

I cought my self want every car in the game..In the end I didn`t enjoy the game at all. GT6 is ok as it is ,but I wouldnt mind a completely unlocked Arcade mode version

Yeah. Shame on those people who have to work and have no time to grind just so they can buy cars they need for that next championship!

Finished 3. Finished 4. Had no desire to finish 5 due to the relentless grinding. Have only driven 6 at work... ironically.

I vote for a 'try before you buy' mode. Sorry, but I'm not keen on risking 10-20 million hard earned credits on a car that PD thinks is worth that much. The most expensive car I own in GT6 is the Muira (15 mil) and although it's fantastic, it's not worth that much in my opinion. Let me take it on a limited practice lap on a given track rather than blindly buying it. Granted there are license tests and events where you can experience a car without purchasing it, but you wouldn't invest in a car IRL without test driving it first, would you?

Last edited:
I vote for a 'try before you buy' mode. Sorry, but I'm not keen on risking 10-20 million hard earned credits on a car that PD thinks is worth that much. The most expensive car I own in GT6 is the Muira (15 mil) and although it's fantastic, it's not worth that much in my opinion. Let me take it on a limited practice lap on a given track rather than blindly buying it. Granted there are license tests and events where you can experience a car without purchasing it, but you wouldn't invest in a car IRL without test driving it first, would you?

Save yourself the trouble, no car is worth 10-20 million in GT.. no car is worth more than about 750k... they are only priced like that because they are objects of desire... a concept that will no longer exist if everything is free.

Why not? How is your game impacted if I have that option and you also have the option of a traditional GT style career mode?

That's not my goal, my goal is to drive cars, enjoy the physics, race online and tune. I daresay I'm not alone. GT has the worst career mode of any "sim" in the last 15 years and I have no interest in slogging through it to "earn" cars or money. So I'd ask the same question. How is your game affected if you retain the option of the classic career mode, and others have the option of a sandbox mode?

If there's a sandbox mode, then it may become more popular and PD might think "why not remove GT mode all together?"
That alone might affect me, and that's no good for me. I get that people want to drive the cars they payed for, but if you can drive any car offline on any track, it removes a bit of the rarity of that car. For me it's more about the journey than the destination, for some people it's not and I respect that. Either way it would be nice to have MOST but not all of the cars in arcade or another mode, because if all of them are there, why have GT Mode at all? Why have credits at all and why have structure? Then it just turns into PCars or a Simbin game, which I'm not a fan of. For some people it's fine but for some no. PD is going to have to come up with a way for most people to they what they want, I wish them good luck, cause they are gonna need it.

P.S. A test drive mode like GT2000 would be awesome.

If there's a sandbox mode, then it may become more popular and PD might think "why not remove GT mode all together?"
That alone might affect me, and that's no good for me. I get that people want to drive the cars they payed for, but if you can drive any car offline on any track, it removes a bit of the rarity of that car. For me it's more about the journey than the destination, for some people it's not and I respect that. Either way it would be nice to have MOST but not all of the cars in arcade or another mode, because if all of them are there, why have GT Mode at all? Why have credits at all and why have structure? Then it just turns into PCars or a Simbin game, which I'm not a fan of. For some people it's fine but for some no. PD is going to have to come up with a way for most people to they what they want, I wish them good luck, cause they are gonna need it.

GT Mode is career mode, and all console games have some kind of career mode as the foundation of the series. I can't see it disappearing any time soon so you can rest easy. The real solution as I've proposed many times is simply to give us options, provide several paths through the game, and allow us the ability to choose how we approach the GT experience. A dedicated offline and online career where you have to earn everything is essential IMO, but the ability to simply drive any car or take any car online and race should also be a core element. The big mistake on PD's part if there is one, is in not making the different elements mutually exclusive at our discretion. Some people may be ok with a garage full of cars while at the same time going out and buying a Vitz to compete in the Sunday Cup while others may want the garage empty before embarking on their offline career. The game can cater to both of us quite easily with some simple programming that a rookie could probably do over his lunch break on his iPhone.

I don't want to see you or anyone lose their classic GT career mode but at the same time, if that's the only path through the game in GT7, I won't buy it. I wouldn't even have played GT6 beyond the first few hours if it weren't for the money glitch that allowed me to fill my garage and skip the whole terrible (IMO) offline experience.

PD won't remove GT mode because GT mode has customization, online play, photo travel, specific career races/challenges, etc...

I'll mention Forza again, because I play a LOT more career Forza 4 than arcade Forza 4 despite the fact that arcade Forza 4 lets me drive a whole lot more cars. Mostly, this is because career Forza 4 lets me buy and customize my own cars and I am perfectly happy to work for that.

What I'm NOT happy to do is spend literally hours grinding the same race over and over just to try out one single car. I can get around 500k every 10 minutes with the Red Bull X challenge, which equates to 20 mil in 400 minutes or alternatively nearly 7 NONSTOP HOURS grinding the same race over and over and over just to buy one of FIVE different cars worth 20 mil. So if I want all 5, and they're certainly all cars I want to drive, that's nearly 35 HOURS. Or of course I can actually get a job and buy cash cards, in which case it would cost me £500 to buy all five of those cars. At this point it would literally be cheaper to buy an Xbox One, Forza 5 and a live subscription for at least a couple of years. It doesn't really make sense from a marketing perspective when you can buy the full version of your competitors game for cheaper than a virtual Miura in your own.

That turned into a very big rant very quickly but I really am annoyed at the lack of common sense possessed by PD most of the time.

EA had this option (paid cost) for NFS S2U instant all-car ownership.
That makes more sense to me than the current pay for credits option.
Last I checked, main reason for credits is buy cars, some of which are 20M.

no.jpeg

I don't care if it's arcade or simulation. That's just wrong.

Forza 5 lets you try any car in the game in both Free Play AND Online. You won't get any money of Xp for "renting" a car, but at least you can try the car out to see if you want to go further with it. GT6 should do what GT4 did at the very least; almost all the cars in GT6's arcade mode are crap anyways.

Back