The war on ISIS.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 3,128 comments
That doesn't tell me much.

It's an article by a sports journalist (Jack McKinney) who's true inquiry nature took him to North Ireland, not Lebanon. The article itself is based on a Jerusalem Post article written in 1986 by Benny Morris, whom I quote:

"A Jewish state would not have come into being without the uprooting of 700,000 Palestinians. Therefore it was necessary to uproot them. There was no choice but to expel that population. It was necessary to cleanse the hinterland and cleanse the border areas and cleanse the main roads. It was necessary to cleanse the villages from which our convoys and our settlements were fired on."

He is a Zionist, and was during the Syrian-Israeli conflict back in the agitated 80's. I can't just take that information as fact value because they are based on "gossip" (McKinney hear from Morris, who deduct it somehow).

Sounds believable though, true, not so much.

It smacks of propaganda and, despite being a great story, it feels "not true". Still, as @Johnnypenso said, there's the source :)

Uhmm... But KGB doesn't exist anymore (succeeded by FSB), and Hezbollah is currently fighting on Assad's side...
It's a story that originated in the 80's. Whether or not is true is one thing, but there are other stories out there about how different Russia tackles terrorism. I believe one article even quoted Putin that there would be no mercy, even if hostages were involved.

Anonymous has apparently discovered several new ISIS plots, and communicated them to the authorities. But due to the attacks being scheduled for this Sunday, Anonymous has taken upon itself the necessity to release certain information.

snippet:

"The Atlanta attack is just one of a slew of ISIS-led rampages allegedly set for Sunday. The terrorists also plotted out attacks at concerts, colleges and churches in Europe and Asia, Anonymous said.

Possible terror targets include a Five Finger Death Punch heavy metal concert in Milan, Feast of Christ the King celebrations in Rome, University Pastoral Day at Lebanon’s Holy Spirit University, an event at Al-Jihad mosque in Indonesia and two music shows in Paris."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ck-wwe-event-atlanta-report-article-1.2442582

edit: tree'd by Ken!

It's a story that originated in the 80's. Whether or not is true is one thing, but there are other stories out there about how different Russia tackles terrorism. I believe one article even quoted Putin that there would be no mercy, even if hostages were involved.

It certainly seems from (relatively) recent hostage situations involving Sunni/Sufi muslims that Russia takes quite a hard line in resolution. Beslan met with a heavily armed and pretty brutal response (incredibly shown live in detail around the world) and during the Moscow theatre siege fentanyl gas was pumped in that killed terrorists and hostages alike. Sadly this remained a secret for 8 hours afterwards so doctors (when ambulances were finally allowed to collect patients) didn't know which antidote to use.

Don't **** with Russia, that's all.

I didn't know about the others. Hopefully, none of the attacks come to fruition. Also, bravo Anonymous.

"...Haas detailed the callous terms people in the program used to describe children, such as "fun-size terrorists" and "tits (terrorists in training)," and said that one motto was that you have to "cut the grass before it grows too tall." The attitude, he said, was "anything you could do to remove their humanity." He knew heavy drinking among operators was the norm, and he eventually started using bath salts, and developed a cocaine addiction after he got out of the Air Force..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/drones-isis-terrorism-barack-obama_564e03d6e4b00b7997f99af0

Beslan met with a heavily armed and pretty brutal response (incredibly shown live in detail around the world)

Beslan happened they way it happened because the terrorists started to kill their hostages by setting off 2 bombs. The Russians couldn't do anything else than attack full force and hope for the best.

The Russians couldn't do anything else than attack full force and hope for the best.

Using tanks and rockets in a situation with school-age hostages doesn't leave much hope. The Russians were there three days beforehand so they'd have opportunity to prepare more thoroughly and to arrange medical cover for those who survived... they did neither, remember?

It certainly seems from (relatively) recent hostage situations involving Sunni/Sufi muslims that Russia takes quite a hard line in resolution.
After the bloody attack on Budyonovsk in 1995, it became clear that no talking to terrorists must be. And I wouldn't refer to those scumbags as "Sunni/Sufi Muslims"...

and during the Moscow theatre siege fentanyl gas was pumped in that killed terrorists and hostages alike. Sadly this remained a secret for 8 hours afterwards so doctors (when ambulances were finally allowed to collect patients) didn't know which antidote to use.

Don't **** with Russia, that's all.
It is true that more hostages were killed by the gas than the terrorist bullets, but actually the gas was meant to put people to sleep not to kill them. Some have suffocated (breath blocked by tongue after sudden knockout) and some weren't helped by the medics in time. But if the gas wasn't used, the terrorists could activate a huge bomb they brought in that could destroy the whole building and bury all 916 hostages with it.

Using tanks and rockets in a situation with school-age hostages doesn't leave much hope. The Russians were there three days beforehand so they'd have opportunity to prepare more thoroughly and to arrange medical cover for those who survived... they did neither, remember?
Tanks were to breach the walls with AP shells so the Spetsnaz could enter the building and get the hostages out. And do you still believe the rockets cool story?

It is always possible for a couch expert to plan a counter-terrorist op of any level. ;)

Tanks were to breach the walls with AP shells so the Spetsnaz could enter the building and get the hostages out. And do you still believe the rockets cool story?

Unless you suggest that the Russians were allowing the broadcast of a fake feed... I saw it myself.

Some have suffocated (breath blocked by tongue after sudden knockout) and some weren't helped by the medics in time.

Because no streets were cleared for ambulances and the medics weren't told which gas had been used.

It is always possible for a couch expert to plan a counter-terrorist op of any level. ;)

And to rebuff facts, of course ;)

Don't think it's been posted, but China has reportedly thrown its hat into the ring after a Chinese hostage was executed, & 3 members of the China Railway Construction Corp. were killed in Mali.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/china-declares-war-isis-after-6862200

It claims at the end, that China (nor Norway who also lost a citizen to execution) has joined the US or Russia in air strikes in Syria. Though, I think the idea of China & Russia coming to your door may still be a scarier thought than the US.

Anonymous has apparently discovered several new ISIS plots, and communicated them to the authorities. But due to the attacks being scheduled for this Sunday, Anonymous has taken upon itself the necessity to release certain information.

snippet:

"The Atlanta attack is just one of a slew of ISIS-led rampages allegedly set for Sunday. The terrorists also plotted out attacks at concerts, colleges and churches in Europe and Asia, Anonymous said.

Possible terror targets include a Five Finger Death Punch heavy metal concert in Milan, Feast of Christ the King celebrations in Rome, University Pastoral Day at Lebanon’s Holy Spirit University, an event at Al-Jihad mosque in Indonesia and two music shows in Paris."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ck-wwe-event-atlanta-report-article-1.2442582

edit: tree'd by Ken!
I wonder if the terrorists got smart for a second, knowing Anonymous was on to them, and are now planting fake stories in order to simply cause chaos and general terror, not to mention economic loss to the it's enemies.

I wonder if the terrorists got smart for a second, knowing Anonymous was on to them, and are now planting fake stories in order to simply cause chaos and general terror, not to mention economic loss to the it's enemies.

I agree.

I do think that Anonymous shutting down ISIS comms isn't necessarily a good thing, particularly if they shut down routes that are already being surveilled. Still, if they genuinely find data that national intelligence agencies have been unable to then that has to be to the good, I guess.

It's a matter of when, not if, will the worlds super powers blow up Damascus completely.
Very sad for the innocent, although this has been the case throughout history.
Where did evil come about in this randomly built universe?

Unless you suggest that the Russians were allowing the broadcast of a fake feed... I saw it myself.
Unless you suggest that the Russians are heartless beasts who would kill their own children without a blink of an eye. I don't know how common is this stereotype on the West and who spreads it, but...

What I heard about is the using of thermobaric rockets of RPO-A "Bumble-bee" flamethrower. But according to the investigation report of 2006, they were used after 6 p.m., in the final part of assault, when it was known that no hostages were left in the school, to aviod further casualties to the task force. Otherwise, all lifeforms in the building would be fried out. I don't think there were idiots to do so (if you do, a citation would be nice).

I doubt it. ISIS response was apparently to tell its members to use other lines of technology that Anonymous could not possibly hack.
Unless you suggest that the Russians are heartless beasts who would kill their own children without a blink of an eye. I don't know how common is this stereotype on the West and who spreads it, but...
Personally, I don't suggest that at all. I think it's just an unfortunate side-effect that Russia has sometimes caused by feeling like they've been pushed to a last resort. To be more blunt, I'm rather fascinated by the rough, hardened attitude that Russia has cultivated from.

I doubt it. ISIS response was apparently to tell its members to use other lines of technology that Anonymous could not possibly hack.

Personally, I don't suggest that at all. I think it's just an unfortunate side-effect that Russia has sometimes caused by feeling like they've been pushed to a last resort. To be more blunt, I'm rather fascinated by the rough, hardened attitude that Russia has cultivated from.
If they are using tech that Anonymous can't hack, then how did Anonymous get wind of the attacks?

If they are using tech that Anonymous can't hack, then how did Anonymous get wind of the attacks?
I believe they told them to switch how they communicated. Either way, I'm sure all it does is persuade whomever to search for ISIS even more.

ISIS introduces the "frankentruck" to the fighting:
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015...nken-truck-on-kurds-something-out-of-a-movie/
ISIS is now welding metal plates onto trucks, loading them with bombs and a suicide bomber and driving into enemy lines, then setting off the bombs. American soldiers have named these new deadly weapons “Franken-trucks,” which the radical Islamist troops use six to eight of per operation, according to Gersten.
frankentruck-420x315.jpg

It's an odd idea - an obvious target from a long way off. I guess this is what drones are for...

Obvious target, but you're going to need to hit it with something pretty substantial to actually stop it.

Part of me is always impressed by the ingenuity applied to the problem of killing the most amount of people with the most basic of supplies.

Obvious target, but you're going to need to hit it with something pretty substantial to actually stop it.

Part of me is always impressed by the ingenuity applied to the problem of killing the most amount of people with the most basic of supplies.

They'd get into more places with a standard Hilux. Not quite as newsworthy though.

Latest Posts

Back