Theory on the Audi R8 LMS Ultra Handling

140KG added weight and 611bhp with RS online. EDIT : Just did a 2:02
I did 2:02:7xx in my non Phoenix R8 Ultra with changed oil on Bathrust. My average laptime there is 2:04. It feels like in GT6 R8 suffers some very sudden and aggressive weight transfer

Running same amount or very close amount of downforce on ANY car is bad IMO, it will give instability on mid to high speed. I always keep moderate differences to make it almost neutral balanced.
Noticed a writing error in my setup post.
Downforce rear should read as 730 in stead of 370 ! :D

TC doesn't stop weight transfer. In GT6 it's exaggerated.

Lol no. In a straight line yes, but through the corners?

GT3 cars have loads of aids. All they need now is to switch them off and have some really fun racing :lol:

I agree with you that we can't talk about these cars, because we didn't drive them in real life. But there are person that can talk about it.

It hasn't a bad handling in real life according to the person in the video.

I've already stated why you can't compare those either, as have other people.

Edit: it must have been in a different thread, I'll find it later when I have time and edit this post again.

Edit2: Here's my post from the Ultimate Driving Simulator, for MR cars thread:

The Audi R8 LMS in stock form is difficult to drive, and as I've stated in other threads before along with how I came about the information, the R8 suffered from handling issues until sometime during the 2012 racing season. Not saying that's why it handles like it does in GT, but considering they modeled and set the physics for that car back in 2008 it's possible those issues are still built into the car in GT. And before you flame me for that, think about other car models PD has shortcut on and ask yourself if it's really that far fetched.

As for the Chris Harris video, that has no validity to how the car in GT should drive. There is no way of knowing what kind of set up was on that car, and knowing how car companies operate when someone reviews their car, I'm sure Audi put a very driveable setup on that car and not something a racing driver would get on a circuit during a race or qualifying session to get the best time.

And as someone else pointed out, either in this thread or the other, the R8 LMS has 12 different stages of TCS and 10 different stages of ABS, all driver adjustable from within the cockpit, which could have factored into that review as well.

Last edited:
Lol no. In a straight line yes, but through the corners?
Then do your braking on straight, wait for body to restore from that weight transfer and dive in corner, if not then brake bias is affecting also on cornering.

I've already stated why you can't compare those either, as have other people.
Being honest, you've been accusing people of having never driven an R8 LMS so their argument is invalid, but have you ever driven one?

Then do your braking on straight, wait for body to restore from that weight transfer and dive in corner, if not then brake bias is affecting also on cornering.
I think our words are getting a little lost in translation - I was saying that brake balance has zero effect on how a car weight shifts as you turn the wheel (unless you're braking of course, but i'm referring to simply turning in and watching the thing spin). I've never had an issue on turn in or when braking, it's the exit that always gets you.

I think our words are getting a little lost in translation - I was saying that brake balance has zero effect on how a car weight shifts as you turn the wheel (unless you're braking of course, but i'm referring to simply turning in and watching the thing spin). I've never had an issue on turn in or when braking, it's the exit that always gets you.

May I suggest to adjust rear damper to something like compression 3 / extension 9 or compression 4 / extension 10 :)

I've tried everything. Everything. I'm at a point where i'm in comfortable 2:03s at Bathurst, I think 2:02 are the absolute physical limit for this thing. And it's not when i'm accelerating out of corners, it's stable then, it just completely gives up gripping sometimes.

I've tried everything. Everything. I'm at a point where i'm in comfortable 2:03s at Bathurst, I think 2:02 are the absolute physical limit for this thing. And it's not when i'm accelerating out of corners, it's stable then, it just completely gives up gripping sometimes.

Have you tried my tune ? Is 2:02 with RH tire and 528 HP ?

I've had a look, but the one posted in my thread suits my driving style a little better :)
(ahem~ragged edge~ahem)

I've had a look, but the one posted in my thread suits my driving style a little better :)
(ahem~ragged edge~ahem)

So you haven't even tried it, and just by looking you made that decision, that's cool :) I will drive the R8 LMS Pheonix, see if I can improve my tune again, shave another second maybe on 528HP at Bathurst :D Last update was on 1.03.

No, I did try it. Still think the Phoenix blows the socks off the plain ultra.

IDK then. I'll keep experimenting.

If you are using large toe in to make the rear more stable, that may cause the car to have tendency to understeer. I have tried some tunes before I made my own, most of them uses large toe, ballast and max aero or racing soft :(, I tune it in a way it works on racing hard with stock aero and gearing, no ballast, while still quick on 599PP. I just did high 2:04s at Bathurst with RH and 528HP - I am going to make a few tweaks, so far this LMS is quicker than my oil changed Z4, SLS and GTR GT3 at Bathurst.

I've got it to the point where huge amounts of rear toe in make it neutral. If I tease it into corners it stays planted.

Being honest, you've been accusing people of having never driven an R8 LMS so their argument is invalid, but have you ever driven one?

I never accused anyone of never having driven the R8 LMS so you can stop putting words in my mouth.

I've got it to the point where huge amounts of rear toe in make it neutral. If I tease it into corners it stays planted.

What's the time it can do on RH and 528HP ( 599PP ) at Bathurst ? I think 2:05s is generally good on RH, with oil change, it should do 2:03s. Too much toe usually make the car harder to turn in.

I agree with you that we can't talk about these cars, because we didn't drive them in real life. But there are person that can talk about it.

It hasn't a bad handling in real life according to the person in the video.
This is a person driving the car NOWHERE NEAR THE LIMIT with eAIDS turned on. His opinion of the car compared to how it is driven in game is pretty much irrelevant.

What's the time it can do on RH and 528HP ( 599PP ) at Bathurst ? I think 2:05s is generally good on RH, with oil change, it should do 2:03s. Too much toe usually make the car harder to turn in.
About a 2:04 if I tried. It still oversteers sometimes with 0.80 toe in.

About a 2:04 if I tried. It still oversteers sometimes with 0.80 toe in.

Just had a look at your tune, it says RS tire and 2:05s possible.

BUMP -

I Fixed the R8 LMS!

The Audi R8 LMS is probably the most hated car in GT6. After a lot of running, i've made it bearable and actually quite quick. 2:05s are possible at Bathurst.

Audi R8 LMS ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12
Racing:Soft

Ride Height - 50/50

Spring Rate - 15.90/23.40

Compression - 4/5

Extension - 3/3

ARB - 6/4

Camber - 0.0/0.0

Toe - -0.05/0.80

BB - 3/1

Limited Slip Differential

Initial torque - ~/8

Acceleration Sensitivity - ~/35

Braking Sensitivity - ~/5

Downforce - 400/900

I got this setup by playing around. A logical range of values have illogical results, so it's hard to judge where you are with it. Do not rag this about at low speed - it will spit you off. Please enjoy.

Time to get my other GT3s finalised...

You should be lapping in less than 2 minutes with RS tire.

I've altered the setup since then, RH is only about 1 second off.

I never accused anyone of never having driven the R8 LMS so you can stop putting words in my mouth.
You have a problem with people putting words in your mouth...
Have you driven an MR in real life? Seriously, because If you have you wouldn't disagree with me. I never said difficulty was realism, so you can stop putting words in my mouth.

Try doing some research on how the R8 drove on debut. I don't come on these forums and make 🤬 up

You have a problem with people putting words in your mouth...

Because twice you've accused me of saying something I did not. So yes, I have a problem with that.

I've also edited my reply to @Zelalem so maybe you should go read that.

I just quoted what you said... You have a problem with not knowing what you said.

I see, so the downforce at the rear might be slowing you down if you are using max value. The straight after 1st turn, conrod and the chase are crucial for good lap time.

Back