You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,206 comments
The aim of this project was to create a car developing as much downforce as possible.

The result of twork was a massive-looking chassis made of carbon-fiber honeycomb panels. At the back of the chassis (above the fuel cell) the material was relatively thin. However, where the suspension is mounted there are multiple layers of carbon-fiber. The design took FACC three months to complete. Protofab was responsible for mounting the bits to the chassis and John Mills made the bodywork. Other Ford divisions were also involved with the car. The glass division created a windshield that was half the thickness of a standard windshield.

Early testing was positive although further development was required.

After alterations the cars were entered in the Road America 500 mile race. Zakspeed driver, Ludwig, partnered Tim Coconis with Geoff Brabham and Bobby Rahal driving the second car. Surprisingly, the cars finished first and third. The Ludwig/Coconis car won, assisted by the rain, which allowed the engines to run with less stress.

The drivers complained about the heat and the engine being weak. Chassis development would be hampered because it was difficult to keep the car running long enough. Unfortunately there was little budget to spend on development.

The car was campaigned in the 1984 IMSA season. The best results were a fifth place by Ludwig at Sears Point. In mid-season the motor capacity was increased from 1.7 to 2.1 liters. Unfortunately, there was fuel injection failure, engine mounting bolts shearing, and throttle linkage failures.

It was doomed not for its innovation, but for lack of engine power and reliability - and lack of money.

If you want to find out more, go to this page:
http://trackthoughts.com/2010/03/07/imsa-ford-mustang-gtp/

The smallest-capacity pickup in the world - officially! :D (yes, it's Lotus Elise Pickup. 100% legit)

Netcomposites_Lotus_pickup.jpg

That gives the Hummer H2 SUT a run for its money in the shortest bed competition. :dopey:
05.H2.SUT.extdrv34.jpg

Look at the MINI l posted a few days ago. It might be smaller.

Bugatti ID90 Concept

Last edited:
I was at a resteraunt today and there was a picture on the wall of a car with 8 wheels. It was a really old car, 20s-30s? And had 4 in back and 4 in front. And they weren't like dualies.

About a week ago, my dad was showing one of the people who work for him some of his favorite brochures from Japan. One of them was this...

toyota_cavalier_6236.jpg

A 'Toyota' Cavalier. Just a rebadged Chevy Cavalier.

ilikewaffles11
About a week ago, my dad was showing one of the people who work for him some of his favorite brochures from Japan. One of them was this...

Why? Worst move ever! At least the Prism made some sense.

I don't think it's a Noble M12. Seems more like some kit car, with someone who had plenty of money to spend. Some Ferrari wheels and what I think might be a Ferrari badge on the front?

Yet another JDM van I'm interested in. :dopey:
TOYOTA_NOAH_NO_5151_USED_CAR.jpg

Called the Toyota Noah.

The cool thing about the Toyota Cavalier was that there was a full TRD package available for it :cool:

5099602550_6ccf7c65e5_o.jpg

Upon re-looking at that it's a bit ricey by today's standards, but it's very period correct.

Autech also took a whack at making it's own car as many of you probably know since Speedhunters and 7tune both profiled it :)

1989_Zagato_Autech_Stelvio_03.jpg

When you look at that one-off Ferrari from the front, it looks really sad. As if it is trying to say :Kill me.

^ Thanks exigeracer! 👍

BT -> Just stumbled at Jalopnik and saw this:

Witt Sea Lion *Worlds fastest amphibious car*
178648.jpg

178646.jpg

178641.jpg

^ And yes, its for sale too! :dopey:

toyota_cavalier_6236.jpg

Why? Out of all the cars they could have used, why a Cavalier? They could have at least put some effort into disguising it.

^ Similar to the Geo/Chevy Prizm program as the Toyota Sprinter sedan in JDM-land.

TRD Cavalier
l.jpg

295kg3.jpg

5099602550_6ccf7c65e5_o.jpg

Toyota Cavalier GT300
5099584696_d60eb495fe_o.jpg

Latest Posts

Back