2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
And here we go again with NBC telling us for the 1 millionth time that Harvick has never been eliminated. :banghead:

Edit: And there's the dumb 4 team chant

Tbh this was one of the better races of the year. Battles up front were really fun to watch.

Heres to hoping roof flaps deploy next week.

That's the second time she's interviewed Kurt Busch after this race. :lol:

For a moment I almost forgot that Kurt Busch has won a race this year. I thought he was gonna get eliminated this round, but I guess not.

Chase is gonna have to win at Talladega.

So, looking at the 2 Daytona races, and the one Talladega race this year... I am a bit curious.

Daytona and Dega are very similar. Dega is a bit longer, and wider, but aside from that they are about the same. The racing is the same, the speed is the same, so that makes me wonder-

Why did we see a blowover, and a weight shift in the same race at dega, but similar scenarios happened this year at Daytona, yet mostly everyone stayed on the ground. Is it just chance or is there actually something behind it, I wonder? Chris Buescher had a massive weight shift, but cars were spun similarly as fast at Daytona (Kurt Busch), and they stayed on the ground. Do the cars run a higher ride height at Talladega, compared to Daytona? With Kenseth's blowover it was more just being unlucky when he got hit because it screwed up his wheel, therefore the roof flaps didnt even stand a chance, but still, I am curious as to Dega had more violent accidents than Daytona, even when the crash setups were similar...

What's your guys' opinions?

So, looking at the 2 Daytona races, and the one Talladega race this year... I am a bit curious.

Daytona and Dega are very similar. Dega is a bit longer, and wider, but aside from that they are about the same. The racing is the same, the speed is the same, so that makes me wonder-

Why did we see a blowover, and a weight shift in the same race at dega, but similar scenarios happened this year at Daytona, yet mostly everyone stayed on the ground. Is it just chance or is there actually something behind it, I wonder? Chris Buescher had a massive weight shift, but cars were spun similarly as fast at Daytona (Kurt Busch), and they stayed on the ground. Do the cars run a higher ride height at Talladega, compared to Daytona? With Kenseth's blowover it was more just being unlucky when he got hit because it screwed up his wheel, therefore the roof flaps didnt even stand a chance, but still, I am curious as to Dega had more violent accidents than Daytona, even when the crash setups were similar...

What's your guys' opinions?
I would think they would run lower ride height at Dega since handling isn't usually a problem like Daytona but I just think most of the crashes we saw were people getting hit at the right spot at the right time.

I just think most of the crashes we saw were people getting hit at the right spot at the right time.
Agreed. It's impossible to precisely replicate the exact speed, rotation, pitch, yaw, location on the track, air-flow over the car, air turbulence created by surrounding cars, and angle(s) of impact from other cars.

You could have 200 multi-car accidents where there are no identical circumstances, no matter how similar they all look.

Those little variables are the difference in a safe wreck, and four barrel rolls. It's why they probably can't engineer a car that will never flip over, while still traveling at these speeds. You can't predict every possible outcome.

True.

However... Now that i think about it, the weight shifts in NASCAR have often come from an abrupt right. Mark Martin in 2009, Buesher 2016, Dale Jr in 2010, Kenseth in 2009, Bowyer 2007, even Dale Sr in the 97 Daytona 500... Obviously the cars have the weight set to favor left turning, if the weight were to be even, would that help prevent anything, do you think? Or is it simply all of the extra saftey parts that mess with the balance that much? Obviously cars will flip and toss and turn no matter what. Hell, just this year in the K&N series someone rolled the car at 10 mph, however I do think it has something to do with the weight. Perhaps theres a way to even out the weight without destroying the cars handling?

Forgive my ramble. :embarrassed:

True.

However... Now that i think about it, the weight shifts in NASCAR have often come from an abrupt right. Mark Martin in 2009, Buesher 2016, Dale Jr in 2010, Kenseth in 2009, Bowyer 2007, even Dale Sr in the 97 Daytona 500... Obviously the cars have the weight set to favor left turning, if the weight were to be even, would that help prevent anything, do you think? Or is it simply all of the extra saftey parts that mess with the balance that much? Obviously cars will flip and toss and turn no matter what. Hell, just this year in the K&N series someone rolled the car at 10 mph, however I do think it has something to do with the weight. Perhaps theres a way to even out the weight without destroying the cars handling?

Forgive my ramble. :embarrassed:
There isn't really a feasible option. The survival cell is going to keep it off balance

There isn't really a feasible option. The survival cell is going to keep it off balance
They could add weight to the other side. I think some actually do, because I recall an issue with Kevin Harvick and bean bags recently...

They could add weight to the other side. I think some actually do, because I recall an issue with Kevin Harvick and bean bags recently...
It would take some thinking and design but I think it could be possible to redistribute the weight to cancel out the survival cell from the ground up. Though I'd like to know the weight of the cell and its impact on the car now that it's been brought up.

Or take all the ballast and dump it beside the driver. :P
I hope they give him a special paint scheme to commemorate his final start.
Either a cool collage livery or something done up like his Interstate Batteries car when he won the championship would be awesome.

They set the bar illegally high, so let's see what they come up with this time
32cj-layout.jpg
-

Sadly, I doubt he'll even be mentioned if he isn't involved in a wreck. The Chase and the points for the cutoff will be way to important to NBC for them to talk about a guy making his final start, especially if he's been running part time for the last few years, even if he is a past champion.

I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel right to use his old livery and suit scheme.

Edit: The scheme isn't unique to Dale Sr, Neil Bonnett used it when he was sponsored with Goodrich, so I guess it isn't as big of a deal as I first thought it was since it's not unique to anyone.

Last edited:
I think people need to let it go. It's been almost 16 years. Hell, even Ayrton Senna's family let Simon Pagenaud use his helmet at Indy in 2014. I'm fairly certain the family is in support of this.

I think people need to let it go. It's been almost 16 years. Hell, even Ayrton Senna's family let Simon Pagenaud use his helmet at Indy in 2014. I'm fairly certain the family is in support of this.
That's why I edited my post.

For the record, I have no idea if this is Bobby's last start or not. Just that it's his last of the year and I don't know if he plans to come back next year.

I wish he got another shot in a JGR car in the XFINITY Series this year. He made it one lap before getting caught up in a wreck not of his doing.

For the record, I have no idea if this is Bobby's last start or not. Just that it's his last of the year and I don't know if he plans to come back next year.

I wish he got another shot in a JGR car in the XFINITY Series this year. He made it one lap before getting caught up in a wreck not of his doing.

Or maybe, Joe Gibbs will let Bobby Labonte do one final Xfinity start in the NOS 18 car at Homestead. One can hope.

I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel right to use his old livery and suit scheme.

Edit: The scheme isn't unique to Dale Sr, Neil Bonnett used it when he was sponsored with Goodrich, so I guess it isn't as big of a deal I first thought it was since it's not unique to anyone.
Am I picturing a Mom-N-Pops ham #31 car from.... 1994?

Back