2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
From Jayski:
  • NASCAR: JGR strategy didn't violate 100% rule: NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O'Donnell, appearing on "The Morning Drive" on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Monday, said he did not expect the sanctioning body to take action against Joe Gibbs Racing for its strategy of dropping three cars to the back of the pack during Sunday's Chase elimination race at Talladega Superspeedway. O'Donnell said employing that strategy did not constitute a violation of NASCAR's 100% rule. "I would say that they do not fall into that," O'Donnell said when asked about the 100% rule. "The spirit of that rule is really to prevent somebody from intentionally allowing another teammate to do something that would not be really within the spirit of the rules of the race. In this case, we look at the strategy decision that the team made, and they executed it. ... In this case, that wouldn't be something that we look at that violated that rule."(NASCAR). The 100% rule: "NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event" (ESPN)
    AND #20-Kenseth finished 28th, #20-Edwards 29th and #18-Busch 30th at Talladega, good enough to advance to the semifinal round of the Chase for the Sprint Cup. The three Joe Gibbs Racing drivers never made much of a move, dropping to the rear of the field before the green flag ever fell and staying there throughout the day.(ESPN)(10-24-2016)

I was curious to see if NASCAR would react to the Gibbs cars not making an attempt at racing yesterday. Much to my surprise, it was actually addressed. Not surprisingly, nothing will be done about it. While it annoyed me having Kenseth on my fantasy team, I understand their strategy and am fine with it. I think NASCAR is right in not penalizing them, but it doesn't exactly jive with their 100% rule.

They would have looked really dumb to penalize JGR because teams usually do try to stay to the back up until the end just because of the big one. If there would have been a big one (which there normally would have given the chaotic final lap but thankfully wasn't), they would have finished better than they did. NASCAR penalizing them would basically say that one of the longest standing restrictor plate survival methods isn't deemed permissible. That wouldn't have made sense since literally every team has at one point or another used that exact same method to ensure a finish.

Not to mention they werent the only ones. Literally after every restart, Tony Stewart dropped to the bottom and backed up. So there would easily be 10 people or more that would be penalised because of that.

I understand that's been happening for years. I'm used to seeing guys stay back to avoid trouble, but they always try to make a run in the closing laps. The drivers yesterday didn't even make an attempt to charge to the front on the last restart. They just laid back all the way to the finish.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't have any issue with what they did. Their strategy was smart. Simply stay out of trouble. It was just different in the fact that they didn't try at the end. They left poor Denny to fend for himself. :lol:

Chuck Norris Approves.gif

Chuck Norris..... thats too funny. Maybe they couldnt find someone like David Spade or one of the Baldwin brothers to show up.

New limits for Cup drivers in lower series

Cup drivers with more then five years experience are limited to 10 starts in Xfinity and 7 starts in Trucks. They can also not drive in Xfinity and Trucks chase events and Xfinity Dash 4 Cash events.

New limits for Cup drivers in lower series

Cup drivers with more then five years experience are limited to 10 starts in Xfinity and 7 starts in Trucks. They can also not drive in Xfinity and Trucks chase events and Xfinity Dash 4 Cash events.
Still too lenient, but a step in the right direction.

Better late than never.

Sadly, I could see the big teams finding a way to work around this rule, such as Joe Gibbs. Example: They could put Kyle in the 18 for 10 races, and possibly Erik Jones for the rest.

Better late than never.

Sadly, I could see the big teams finding a way to work around this rule, such as Joe Gibbs. Example: They could put Kyle in the 18 for 10 races, and possibly Erik Jones for the rest.
That's 20 out of 33 for Xfinity.

It's a start.

Its the beginning of the end.

Say goodbye to your sponsors and possibly your series. Won't be Nascar's fault When Corporate America decides to take their money somewhere else.

Its the beginning of the end.

Say goodbye to your sponsors and possibly your series. Won't be Nascar's fault When Corporate America decides to take their money somewhere else.

Exactly. Seems like everyone wants this but when Cup regulars aren't in the races nobody ever talks about the race. Sponsors pick Cup drivers like NOS Energy and Monster did for Kyle Busch. They paid for Kyle pretty much. Same with a lot of the winning cars like the 22. I predict big sponsors pulling out and the series drying up but maybe not immediately since Cup regulars are allowed some races. If and when NASCAR really tightens the rules on Cup drivers it's bye bye Xfinity Series.

Every other series on planet earth manages to run development series' without top tier drivers, sponsors and TV packages. I see no reason why NASCAR can't either, unless they expect the series to continue on as is.

That's because unlike those other ones, NASCAR has never had its development series completely run without the top drivers. Its got to the point where with now corporate sponsors clamoring for the Cup drivers, they are stuck in a position where they NEED those sponsors and what do they need to bring those sponsors for those series? Cup drivers.

Every other series on planet earth manages to run development series' without top tier drivers, sponsors and TV packages. I see no reason why NASCAR can't either, unless they expect the series to continue on as is.
Which nobody in this country seems to comprehend. A development series, is only supposed to grow talent, not a premiere series.

I think the main issue is, a lot of big companies giving out sponsorships don't want to sponsor unprooven talent. Sure, the top five guys in the series will have full sponsorship, but the rest of ths field may have issues. No sponsorship means less money to run, less money to run means fewer races run by a lower end team. Less races run by a lower team means diminishing fields.

That's because unlike those other ones, NASCAR has never had its development series completely run without the top drivers.

Things change over time and with that change you either adapt or get left behind.For starters there is no need for NXS to have 33 races.

Its got to the point where with now corporate sponsors clamoring for the Cup drivers,

Than they can either suck it up and sponsor a Cup team or settle for a Xfinity driver.

they are stuck in a position where they NEED those sponsors and what do they need to bring those sponsors for those series? Cup drivers.

They only need the Cup drivers because they've overshadowed the younger guys to the point where they can't get any attention. Hell this rule may even help build some strong driver-sponsor relationships that end up in Cup (sort of like Napa and Elliott).

Exactly. Seems like everyone wants this but when Cup regulars aren't in the races nobody ever talks about the race. Sponsors pick Cup drivers like NOS Energy and Monster did for Kyle Busch. They paid for Kyle pretty much. Same with a lot of the winning cars like the 22. I predict big sponsors pulling out and the series drying up but maybe not immediately since Cup regulars are allowed some races. If and when NASCAR really tightens the rules on Cup drivers it's bye bye Xfinity Series.

Sadly, I fear that you both are right on the money. Imagine if, back in 2007, Aric Almirola was allowed to run the entire race. More than likely, Rockwell Automation might have pulled their sponsorship. Same reason why Drew Herring, for some reason, didn't get to race in the 54 at ALL when Kyle Busch was hurt last year. Fear that Monster would have pulled their sponsorship. The thing is, these days, corporate sponsors play a huge factor in NASCAR. And back in those days, they probably wanted Cup guys in the field back in 2006-2010.

Tough, its called starting from scratch. Many championships and classes of racers have gone through this over the years. It's time to grab the eraser, and start remapping their development series. You CANNOT have your support/devlopment pool squandered by this kinda trash, its a joke. Have the cup teams run the Xfinty cars, have them prepare their future drivers, cut the number of races, its not like there's people flocking to their races anyway.

Does Indy Lights have major sponsors? No. Does GP2/3 have major sponsors? Barely. Are either competing to be major championships? NO. Neither is Xfinity. It's existence is almost pointless in its current state. The premier drivers don't know when to stop bullying the people trying to show they can drive, and the premier drivers should BE KEPT OUT. Everybody besides Nascar seems to have a grasp of that fact. There's no bloody point in it right now.

Last edited:
I personally believe that for them to start fresh with Xfinity, it has to die first. It's been through so much with how it's been, it's essentially in it's DNA at this point. The trucks are salvageable. But Xfinity will need a rebirth, that's all there is to it.

K&N series, Wheelen series, and other low tier series get on fine. Back before it was even the Busch series there werent top tier drivers, and I love watching those races. I dont like watching Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick winning half of the races in the season. I think the limit should be 5 races. Fair enough to me. But regardless, this is the best thing to happen to Xfinity in a long time.

Back