2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
K&N series, Wheelen series, and other low tier series get on fine. Back before it was even the Busch series there werent top tier drivers, and I love watching those races. I dont like watching Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick winning half of the races in the season. I think the limit should be 5 races. Fair enough to me. But regardless, this is the best thing to happen to Xfinity in a long time.
To add to this, this year I've been starting to watch the K&N/Whelen races when they come up on NBCSN, very entertaining, and fewer gimics. Good hard old school racing. 👍

I blame Mark Martin personally.
I don't. He never ran as many races as these guys do now. I blame the two driver system that started in the mid-2000's as the start of the problem we have now.
s-l225.jpg

For xfinity to thrive, it needs to stop following the Cup teams all around the United States. Let it go back to being a regional development series with lots of Saturday night short track races in and around the southeast, to cut expenses. 24-25 races would be plenty.

They could even host day-night doubleheaders with the truck series, to give fans more value for their ticket price.

Things change over time and with that change you either adapt or get left behind.For starters there is no need for NXS to have 33 races.

Than they can either suck it up and sponsor a Cup team or settle for a Xfinity drive

We can tell them that all day but at the end of day, they aren't listening.

Dollar General was with a Nationwide Only team and who they jump to suddenly? JGR, a Cup team. Before that, they only would sponsor KHI ( at team owned by a Cup Driver) if Harvick was driving. Both times, who did they leave? Burney Lamar, a Nationwide driver

Z-Line Designs was originally a sponsor for Kevin Conway but who did they jump to afterwards? Kyle Busch, a Cup Driver.

Hell, Monster Energy was originally with Ricky Carmicheal when he was trying to get into NASCAR but who did they jump to? KBM, a team Owned by a cup driver and ONLY driven by two cup drivers.

I know its at this point a running gag that a Cup driver just shows up to a lower series race and just drives away but unless there is ANYWAY to convince Corporate America that Cup Drivers aren't the only things in NASCAR, its not stopping until the series stops. Even then, will anyone be willing to watch this new one when they don't recognize most of the field? Is there any sponsor that ISN'T a NASCAR mainstay willing to back this?

K&N series, Wheelen series, and other low tier series get on fine. Back before it was even the Busch series there werent top tier drivers, and I love watching those races. I dont like watching Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick winning half of the races in the season. I think the limit should be 5 races. Fair enough to me. But regardless, this is the best thing to happen to Xfinity in a long time.

Except none of them are the "National Touring series" (AKA, the ones that get the big Live TV coverage and ratings that NASCAR is obsessed with) Guess what is though? The Truck Series and the Xfinity Series.

And

Dollar General was with a Nationwide Only team and who they jump to suddenly? JGR, a Cup team. Before that, they only would sponsor KHI ( at team owned by a Cup Driver) if Harvick was driving. Both times, who did they leave? Burney Lamar, a Nationwide driver

Z-Line Designs was originally a sponsor for Kevin Conway but who did they jump to afterwards? Kyle Busch, a Cup Driver.

Hell, Monster Energy was originally with Ricky Carmicheal when he was trying to get into NASCAR but who did they jump to? KBM, a team Owned by a cup driver and ONLY driven by two cup drivers.

I know its at this point a running gag that a Cup driver just shows up to a lower series race and just drives away but unless there is ANYWAY to convince Corporate America that Cup Drivers aren't the only things in NASCAR, its not stopping until the series stops. Even then, will anyone be willing to watch this new one when they don't recognize most of the field? Is there any sponsor that ISN'T a NASCAR mainstay willing to back this?

Except none of them are the "National Touring series" (AKA, the ones that get the big Live TV coverage and ratings that NASCAR is obsessed with) Guess what is though? The Truck Series and the Xfinity Series.
And that's why its time to let them fail, its time to let them fail and start over. They should not have anywhere near the amount of races as cup teams. They should not be dependent upon sponsors. They should not have any cup drivers. They have to stop pretending to be the cup series. The Xfinity and Truck series' need to be the Indy Lights/GP2 and Trucks Pro Mazda/GP3/F3.5. They are SUPPORT, they are DEVELOPMENT. NASCAR doesn't make money on them, just look at the bloody attendance. Its all the more reason to start anew, and get it right. Have cup teams setup satellite units and junior teams, and let them pick and choose drivers to bring up the ranks. Cut the schedules, cut the TV budget, and reign in the mess.

Than it will fail regardless of them capping Cup drivers as the series as a whole is in rough shape.

Sponsors want exposure and it's hard to get that when the networks only care about the top 10 even if they are separated by seconds while the rest of the field is in a close battle.

but unless there is ANYWAY to convince Corporate America that Cup Drivers aren't the only things in NASCAR, its not stopping until the series stops.

That will happen because with this rule there won't be as many Cup drivers so the lower tier drivers will get more air time.

Even then, will anyone be willing to watch this new one when they don't recognize most of the field? Is there any sponsor that ISN'T a NASCAR mainstay willing to back this?

Going by the ratings of races away from the Cup series they should be fine. Road America, Mid-Ohio and Iowa all were in the 950,000-1,000,000 range compared to the usual of 1-1.5 million. Sure it's a decent drop, but it's still quite a bit higher than what most series' can manage.

And

And that's why its time to let them fail, its time to let them fail and start over. They should not have anywhere near the amount of races as cup teams. They should not be dependent upon sponsors. They should not have any cup drivers. They have to stop pretending to be the cup series. The Xfinity and Truck series' need to be the Indy Lights/GP2 and Trucks Pro Mazda/GP3/F3.5. They are SUPPORT, they are DEVELOPMENT. NASCAR doesn't make money on them, just look at the bloody attendance. Its all the more reason to start anew, and get it right. Have cup teams setup satellite units and junior teams, and let them pick and choose drivers to bring up the ranks. Cut the schedules, cut the TV budget, and reign in the mess.
Amen, especially on the satellite teams. Then again JR Motorsports is already a satellite team, so, some improvement

I remember going to Nazareth in the late 90`s and early 2000`s seeing Busch team match up and beat Cup teams. I think the difference is today the Cup teams put so much more into the Xfinity Series financially.

:lol: Tony's Halloween costume

I wonder who the woman is next to him? Is that his girlfriend?

And maybe as far as 2018, I hope that's the plan. It would seem kinda soon for Byron to make the jump after one year in Xfinity, unless he does really well next year IMO.

Bowman could maybe jump in that car. After this season it would be crazy to think he won`t have a cup ride in the next two years.

:lol: Tony's Halloween costume

I think Halloween/All Hallows Eve/Dio de los Muertos/whatever else it's called is the only holiday I thoroughly enjoy as an adult, and this is a big part of why. If I had a nit to pick, it's his shoes.

It's a nice shop, but that's all as they don't return to Charlotte this season and I doubt he jumps in again this year, even in a lower series. If it's a sponsor unveiling, I am interested.

For xfinity to thrive, it needs to stop following the Cup teams all around the United States. Let it go back to being a regional development series with lots of Saturday night short track races in and around the southeast, to cut expenses. 24-25 races would be plenty.

They could even host day-night doubleheaders with the truck series, to give fans more value for their ticket price.
All of this. Still run Daytona with the 500 and Charlotte with the 600. I really like them going to more road courses too. They can go with the Sprint Cup to the 1 mile or less tracks, but limit the number of races on tracks longer than 1 mile to maybe 5 a year. Same with the truck series.

All of this. Still run Daytona with the 500 and Charlotte with the 600. I really like them going to more road courses too. They can go with the Sprint Cup to the 1 mile or less tracks, but limit the number of races on tracks longer than 1 mile to maybe 5 a year. Same with the truck series.
Why not cut back on repeating tracks further as well? More road courses, race at tracks either of the other two race at, give it a little more independence. Trucks can do that too.

I know this is oversimplifying the idea, but as I cant seem to shake the habit I've gotta ask. How would y'all handle the movement of drivers between series in the permanent sense? Not so much, say, Jones moving up as Elliott Sadler dropping down? I see two arguments and two analogies. First, the "American Football" progression where it's a one way trip, and if you don't make the cut, game over...actually, that sounds like F1 as well. Hmmh... anyway, second is the Major League Baseball approach, where players are promoted and demoted fairly regularly, and kinda what happens now.

That could also be a pointless rambling question and a waste of time, and I apologize now if it is as I am an idiot.

I think Halloween/All Hallows Eve/Dio de los Muertos/whatever else it's called is the only holiday I thoroughly enjoy as an adult, and this is a big part of why. If I had a nit to pick, it's his shoes.

It's a nice shop, but that's all as they don't return to Charlotte this season and I doubt he jumps in again this year, even in a lower series. If it's a sponsor unveiling, I am interested.

It's a tease for his 2017 scheme

You know, I just thought of something as well for both Trucks and Xfinity: Why not in addition to running those tracks like they used to, also have some of them as combo races with lower divisions like the Pro Series, the Modifieds (which they sorta do with Bristol) and even both the Canadian Tire and Toyota Series? It'd give the fans a great deal of racing and have all the development driver talent.

That and its hell of a lot more likely then my personal wish to see a Canadian Tire Series/Toyota Series crossover race at Mexico City and Montreal.

I suggest if NASCAR wants to increase attendance to any/all of their events then open up the paddock for free. I have only met 1 driver (Ryan Newman, Daytona 2002) attending 10 or so Cup races and have never been in a Cup car. For comparison, I have been in 10 or more IMSA cars, met countless drivers and team members/owners. I believe interacting with teams adds to the experience. Hell, even last year at WGI we had Jason Rabe visit us at our camping spot.

I like this idea and it is from someone who is related to the experience.

Back