American Le Mans Series Season VI [Round 6: Monterey 01/11/2013]

What should the damage type be for this season?

• Light Damage (With Cautions)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Light Damage (No Cautions)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Heavy Damage (With Cautions)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Heavy Damage (No Cautions)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FlyinHawaiian77
Just chill James. Its only pre season. You looked ok in practice. Race situations your different. Your goal should be to just have a clean race. Instead of trying to race others. Just take the little steps first.

Ya I was trying.

Great racing tonight. Stormy and I were fighting tooth and nail for the majority of the race. I totally forgot about PC until they were right behind me. Sorry if I slowed either of the PC's down.

Just chill James. Its only pre season. You looked ok in practice. Race situations your different. Your goal should be to just have a clean race. Instead of trying to race others. Just take the little steps first.

I think I'm going to like this PC class. I didnt have anything for Seth tonight. It'll take a lot of work to get where he and Ant are. I need to learn to drive through traffic first. I dont think I ever got by Polar without making contact. Sorry man.

I made a few big mistakes, but if you can go for about 18-20 laps around Laguna on the same tires, you will be good. I was able to get into the high 1:15s after my 2nd pit stop. You came in right behind me, so I was pushing to get some good laps after coming out the pits. I ended up going 1:16.0 on the 2nd lap out, then did the 1:15.8 the 3rd lap out.

Sorry about driving so defensively. Didn't mean to drive like that. I noticed how it might come off like that during the race. I accept any punishment given if given.

Sorry if I came out so harshly but I just hate it when I get involved in accidents in the opening laps when I tried to be as cautious as possible. It happens in every singe league I run in, my luck is ridiculous.

Here's some stats for you guys.

I qualified with a 1:16.40x for my fast lap which is about 1.9 seconds slower than LMP from last season.

My best racing lap was 1:15.8xx which is 1.3 seconds slower than the pole time from last season.

Last season Anthony used the same car (Pescarolo Judd GV5) with specs of 520hp/900kg. So down 37hp and +50kg with the same car I would have qualified 3rd, a half second ahead of Sinladar's Toyota TS020.

This post isn't to brag about how fast I went. I'm illustrating a point in that there may be a need for personal or team BOP like IRL ALMS. Like last season I was penalized with a weight gain for my Bentley (even though I wasn't winning) because of the nature of the tracks 'favoring' my car. That's last season, but I don't see why it can't come into affect this season as well. IRL in fact at Petit LeMans, the Ferrari's of ESM were given a slight power boost to be more competitive (they ended up winning). Instead of penalizing the winner and slowing him down, speed up the competition. It's just a friendly suggestion.

I've been racing this series since season 2 and I've never asked to be a steward, or any type of position of authority. All I'm asking is that you take into consideration what I'm proposing. No one likes BOP or the use of it, but sometimes it's needed. To save this series from getting stale with the same repeat winner(s) I think my idea should be looked into.

Last edited:
Bah sorry guys. I left just before to sort out my router, as I noticed when ghskilla rejoined the lobby that I couldn't see him on track, but he didn't have a loading bars under his name like spork, Mock or guto. That means trouble, as unlike the guys that I have loading bars for, I don't merge or ghost through that car, because THAT person's connection still registers me as tangeable.

What took the mickey even more, I managed to get my NAT type from Type 3 to Type 2, yet when I re-entered the lobby to watch the race, it d/c'd me almost instantly, while I was able to stay and run laps on Type 3 connection before ghs left. Work that out, lol.

Either my internet is bogus, or GT5 has very dodgy servers.

Sorry if I came out so harshly but I just hate it when I get involved in accidents in the opening laps when I tried to be as cautious as possible. It happens in every singe league I run in, my luck is ridiculous.

Ya I know. What happen in the second corner? Did someone miss the breaking point? Also on a side note my Falkens ran really well & I'm dropping UPS as my sponsor.

Tez_SP17
Bah sorry guys. I left just before to sort out my router, as I noticed when ghskilla rejoined the lobby that I couldn't see him on track, but he didn't have a loading bars under his name like spork, Mock or guto. That means trouble, as unlike the guys that I have loading bars for, I don't merge or ghost through that car, because THAT person's connection still registers me as tangeable.

What took the mickey even more, I managed to get my NAT type from Type 3 to Type 2, yet when I re-entered the lobby to watch the race, it d/c'd me almost instantly, while I was able to stay and run laps on Type 3 connection before ghs left. Work that out, lol.

I know what you mean. I couldn't see CND the whole race, spork and geto was jumping on my screen. What happened at the second corner? I was on the inside then all I seen was your car floating to the wall in my rear view mirror.

I need to learn lmp cornering better or go back to gt. Because (that being my first time in the car with no practice) I was doing gt cornering and braking and bleeding time for it. Lucky that hairdryer trick worked, but the time it took kept me from practicing at all. gt and prototypes are clearly not driven the same. I learned that when I braked early at every corner and then didn't use more than half the track at track out. :(

GT5 Servers appear to have been restored to a fairly robust state, at least slightly better than before the recent 'issues'.
Here's a few tips - Find out your ISP's Domain Name Server(s) IP address (DNS). Set your PS Internet connection manually and set the DNS numbers in the 'specified DNS' (i.e. DNS = manual), and enable UNPnP and test it.
Is your PS is wired to a router? Not wireless?
Also, clearing your cache before you go in to the GT Life area or join a lobby helps, too. (Options, Network).
Also, if the room is set with race quality = high, and voice quality = low, this helps bandwidth issues, too.
I apologise in advance if you feel I'm patronising you in any way. Just trying to help. :)

Scribbles71
GT5 Servers appear to have been restored to a fairly robust state, at least slightly better than before the recent 'issues'.
Here's a few tips - Find out your ISP's Domain Name Server(s) IP address (DNS). Set your PS Internet connection manually and set the DNS numbers in the 'specified DNS' (i.e. DNS = manual), and enable UNPnP and test it.
Also, clearing your cache before you go in to the GT Life area or join a lobby helps, too. (Options, Network).
Also, if the room is set with race quality = high, and voice quality = low, this helps bandwidth issues, too.
I apologise in advance if you feel I'm patronising you in any way. Just trying to help. :)

Thank you, that makes sense. I'll try that out!

Here's some stats for you guys.

I qualified with a 1:16.40x for my fast lap which is about 1.9 seconds slower than LMP from last season.

My best racing lap was 1:15.8xx which is 1.3 seconds slower than the pole time from last season.

Last season Anthony used the same car (Pescarolo Judd GV5) with specs of 520hp/900kg. So down 37hp and +50kg with the same car I would have qualified 3rd, a half second ahead of Sinladar's Toyota TS020.

This post isn't to brag about how fast I went. I'm illustrating a point in that there may be a need for personal or team BOP like IRL ALMS. Like last season I was penalized with a weight gain for my Bentley (even though I wasn't winning) because of the nature of the tracks 'favoring' my car. That's last season, but I don't see why it can't come into affect this season as well. IRL in fact at Petit LeMans, the Ferrari's of ESM were given a slight power boost to be more competitive (they ended up winning). Instead of penalizing the winner and slowing him down, speed up the competition. It's just a friendly suggestion.

I've been racing this series since season 2 and I've never asked to be a steward, or any type of position of authority. All I'm asking is that you take into consideration what I'm proposing. No one likes BOP or the use of it, but sometimes it's needed. To save this series from getting stale with the same repeat winner(s) I think my idea should be looked into.

What's wrong with what we have? We changed this year to keep it from being "stale".

What's wrong with what we have? We changed this year to keep it from being "stale".

Did you read what I said? It's not fun or fair for others trying to race for a win when the same guy keep winning. Some people are just faster in general, so it might be a good idea to help out some of the slower guys with a little break. Being only 1.5 seconds off LMP from last season with -40hp and +50kg should give you an idea of what I'm concerned with.

The GT servers have been known to cause issues, and as stated by Polyphony in their news feed, the services apparently have been restored. Evidently, paople are still experiencing random disconnects and/or otherwise latency issues.

Ya I know. What happen in the second corner? Did someone miss the breaking point? Also on a side note my Falkens ran really well & I'm dropping UPS as my sponsor.

I noticed a couple of dive bombs on the first lap at the Andretti Hairpin (turn 2). Remember that there will be no dive bombing and first turn heroes on the first lap as explicitly explained in the Rules and Regulations. If you have not read the Rules and Regulations yet, I strongly advise you to read them. There is a link in the OP for the Rules and Regulations in the Rules and Regulations section. If you are unable to read them (i.e. you can't view Google Docs on a mobile device), you have to let me know. It is the driver's responsibility to know and understand the rules. Failure to adhere to this rule will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the penalty system (meaning you can be disqualified).

Also, please note that I am not directing this towards you James.

I'm not sure why you'd need to know your public IP address for your network settings for your PS3, but you can also find your ISP's speed, as well as it's PING's data. If you're having trouble just trying to connect, you can also run a trace route to see where the issue may be occurring.

The DNS settings needs to be set with a reliable DNS server. I typically use Google's servers as that seems to solve any DNS errors I get.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly, and, after a hard reset of the router, have had no problems since. Clearing your cache will usually help as well. I have NAT type 2, UPnP enabled. So there really shouldn't be a problem if you have these settings.

There were a couple of "laggy" people in the lobby last night, but everyone else was fine. I can tell that Spork and TT13 couldn't see each other as they raced.

Race quality is set to high (4 stars), as my bandwidth can handle it, and the voice chat is set to off to maximize bandwidth with race quality.

Also, try not to have any other device that uses your bandwidth heavily, or not connected at all. Apple products have been known to be bandwidth hogs.

The GT servers have been known to cause issues, and as stated by Polyphony in their news feed, the services apparently have been restored. Evidently, paople are still experiencing random disconnects and/or otherwise latency issues.

I noticed a couple of dive bombs on the first lap at the Andretti Hairpin (turn 2). Remember that there will be no dive bombing and first turn heroes on the first lap as explicitly explained in the Rules and Regulations. If you have not read the Rules and Regulations yet, I strongly advise you to read them. There is a link in the OP for the Rules and Regulations in the Rules and Regulations section. If you are unable to read them (i.e. you can't view Google Docs on a mobile device), you have to let me know. It is the driver's responsibility to know and understand the rules. Failure to adhere to this rule will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the penalty system (meaning you can be disqualified).

Also, please note that I am not directing this towards you James.

I'm not sure why you'd need to know your public IP address for your network settings for your PS3, but you can also find your ISP's speed, as well as it's PING's data. If you're having trouble just trying to connect, you can also run a trace route to see where the issue may be occurring.

The DNS settings needs to be set with a reliable DNS server. I typically use Google's servers as that seems to solve any DNS errors I get.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly, and, after a hard reset of the router, have had no problems since. Clearing your cache will usually help as well. I have NAT type 2, UPnP enabled. So there really shouldn't be a problem if you have these settings.

There were a couple of "laggy" people in the lobby last night, but everyone else was fine. I can tell that Spork and TT13 couldn't see each other as they raced.

Race quality is set to high (4 stars), as my bandwidth can handle it, and the voice chat is set to off to maximize bandwidth with race quality.

Also, try not to have any other device that uses your bandwidth heavily, or not connected at all. Apple products have been known to be bandwidth hogs.

I couldnt see the other storm guy or one of the PC's. If I moved my PS closer to the router would that help?

I didnt have a problem seeing anyone last night. Didnt notice any of the lag that others saw.

My connection is wireless and I almost never clear my cache. It always says I'm NAT type 2 and bandwidth is high. Havent done anything to make my connection better.

Only thing I can think of is ISP. I had satelite internet before I switched to cable. And I also had an old school router. I guess the router would count as an upgrade to the connection. But after those were upgraded, everything was smooth.

Did you read what I said? It's not fun or fair for others trying to race for a win when the same guy keep winning. Some people are just faster in general, so it might be a good idea to help out some of the slower guys with a little break. Being only 1.5 seconds off LMP from last season with -40hp and +50kg should give you an idea of what I'm concerned with.

And.....

Spork, I suggest you wire the playstation to the router. That's what I do and I've had hardly any issues. If it's too far to wire it you can buy a long cable or move it closer. I think it's faster and more stable if it's wired.

The thing is I cant move the router because it's connected to the phone in the kitchen and my room is on the other side of the house. And even if my parents would let me move the playstation to the kitchen the table is too far and running a wire would make people trip over it.

Sounds like a dilemma! You weren't lagging when we were practicing for the USCC series James and I made. I'm not sure what the issue was for ALMS. I guess just try to delete the cache before you race online. It's better if you don't have others using the internet unless you have high speed internet like cable and a wireless router that's rated at 50mbps at least. I like to have double what the highest speed available is your ISP provides, just to be secure.

I'd rather lose on spec, though I get your point about one person always winning. I just need more practice. I've never been an LMP guy. It makes me potentially want to drop back down, because I'm used to GT cornering, using the full corner and full apex with longer braking and stuff like that.

I think I can get it. But my pace is abysmal. Which I don't understand because I'm only a second or two off pace most times on rFactor. Which makes me think there's something exploitably different in GT5 physics than more realistic sims. Because I feel like I'm cornering correctly, yet even in GT most people were faster than me substantially. Maybe because of later braking or later apexes that this game allows. I don't know, I'm really stumped because I've been at this for a while now and just don't "get" it.

How am I getting 1:20s at Seca when you guys are getting 1:15s? I'm familiar with the track, I know every corner and how to approach it in a GT car. Why doesn't it translate right, and why am I so damn off pace?

P.S., Spork, sorry if I hit you at any point. I never felt contact, so hopefully I didn't throw you off the track or anything.

Oh no you're all good all the times I went off track it was my own fault. I was really losing concentration at the end.

FlyinHawaiian77
I didnt have a problem seeing anyone last night. Didnt notice any of the lag that others saw.

My connection is wireless and I almost never clear my cache. It always says I'm NAT type 2 and bandwidth is high. Havent done anything to make my connection better.

Only thing I can think of is ISP. I had satelite internet before I switched to cable. And I also had an old schooltype router. I guess the router would count as an upgrade to the connection. But after those were upgraded, everything was smooth.

I have NAT type 2 bandwidth very high too. I'm wired to the ps3. Cable internet and also have a router that was top of the line 3 months ago.

I'd rather lose on spec, though I get your point about one person always winning. I just need more practice. I've never been an LMP guy. It makes me potentially want to drop back down, because I'm used to GT cornering, using the full corner and full apex with longer braking and stuff like that.

I think I can get it. But my pace is abysmal. Which I don't understand because I'm only a second or two off pace most times on rFactor. Which makes me think there's something exploitably different in GT5 physics than more realistic sims. Because I feel like I'm cornering correctly, yet even in GT most people were faster than me substantially. Maybe because of later braking or later apexes that this game allows. I don't know, I'm really stumped because I've been at this for a while now and just don't "get" it.

How am I getting 1:20s at Seca when you guys are getting 1:15s? I'm familiar with the track, I know every corner and how to approach it in a GT car. Why doesn't it translate right, and why am I so damn off pace?

P.S., Spork, sorry if I hit you at any point. I never felt contact, so hopefully I didn't throw you off the track or anything.

I agree. I'd rather lose with an equal spec than win with an unfair one any day.

P.S. I saw everyone last night, and no one had any lag problems on my screen.

The cars aren't equal everywhere, they never will be. But over a season they should equal out with the different tracks favoring different cars.

The thing is, the Judd GV5 is half a second faster than the C60 hybrid at most the tracks I've ran. That's with or without the extra wing from GT Auto. The Courage Peugeot is so twitchy it's retarded to drive. It's too sensitive, and almost the opposite of the Audi R10 in the game. While the R10 seems to be bad with turn in and switchbacks, the Courage is good but too good. Too much steering input wants to make the car turn around. But if you don't steer hard you won't make the turn correctly. I'm not trying to get a handout because I'm using the GV5. I want the cars on pace with eachother, and the GV5 is faster.

Really wish I was American.

Very good work in the OP. Looks a really attractive series.

Looks really well organised and I wished there was a European GTP variant haha.

Back