An open letter to those that are better.

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 134 comments
In this race I had 4 people all quicker than me for the whole time. I was amazed at their restraint and how respectfully they all drove. There was no way I was letting anyone through though! Yep, I was driving in the middle of the road, parking on the apex and trying to back them into each other, changing my corner entry one lap to the next.

In this race I had 4 people all quicker than me for the whole time. I was amazed at their restraint and how respectfully they all drove. There was no way I was letting anyone through though! Yep, I was driving in the middle of the road, parking on the apex and trying to back them into each other, changing my corner entry one lap to the next.

I'm confused... those behind you didn't give you "3 or 4 corners" to get out the way before getting "heavily aggressive" with you?? Why didn't you just get out the way anyway?? Just who do you think you are??

Tongue L GIF by Tommy Toskonaut

James Franco Flirt GIF

I'm confused... those behind you didn't give you "3 or 4 corners" to get out the way before getting "heavily aggressive" with you?? Why didn't you just get out the way anyway?? Just who do you think you are??

Tongue L GIF by Tommy Toskonaut

James Franco Flirt GIF
No one was more surprised than me. I was fully expecting to be heavily aggressed 😆

Dutch driver didnt seen to be very clever. First, unable to put you enough pressure nor trying alternative lines, and then making a silly mistake when all 3 got penalties. He could simply waited behind and get past all 3 at the penalty serving area

He is a good racer that knows how to defend his line, who are YOU to judge?

No, they really don't have that obligation. In all circumstances I'm aware of in real life racing it is always on the faster car to find a safe way to get past the slower car. Some series use blue flags to indicate "give way", others don't.

For example in Indy Car racing it is perfectly legal and moral for the last driver on the lead lap to be as wide as they can be to avoid going a lap down and it is on the faster car to pass. Same with NASCAR.

In multi-class endurance racing again, onus on the faster car to find a way around, and specifically the slower car is instructed to remain on the racing line so that they can be predictable.

The slower car has the obligation to be predictable and safe, but has zero obligation to let the faster car through. The faster car has the obligation to make the pass safely.
Wrong.

It’s nuanced.

If a car in the same class is about to be lapped. But fighting to stay on the lead lap. That’s considered fair game. If they where multiple laps down they’d be given blue flags.

A faster, higher class, car is expected to make their way past safely. The slower car is expected to stay on the racing line.

This is an open letter to those who are " better "

Just because you are better does not make you privileged, does not give you the right to run off the road those that are "slow".

It does not give you the right to ruin the fun and race of those that are not as good.
I am one of those that is not good, I'm average, yes maybe above average and I'm trying my damndest to improve.
I'm also very happy to have a good race but it always seems to get ruined by somebody who is impatient and cannot wait for the right time to make a decent pass therefore he feels it's his right to push me out of the way, shove me off track, and or put me into a wall.

I am sick and tired of this behavior, I enjoy the daily races I try to have fun with them, I do try to raise clean and when I do not I back off, apologize, and try to resume the race as best I can, others I've seen just barge their way through not caring about ruining other people's enjoyment and experience in racing. This has got to stop, please.
Its a bit complicated, theres no real consequences and damage its disable or only temporary in oficial sport mode races...

Back in GT sport i learned some things, avoid short daily races..., even against A/S drivers its a roullet theres no repect.
Championship(FIA in GT sport) races people care more about the rules and respect a bit more.

The best its private leagues with real damage and with an organization that punish people that dont respect the rules of racing.

Also theres the catch cause slow drivers and even some fast drivers, its an old mentality actually, some drivers think every position at any given time have to be fought or battle for it...
Even in F1 the new drivers have the mentality of getting the best result and for that you need to know what position your fighting for in the grid...
If the leader pit first and you get in front of him cause you didnt pit its wrong to fight him or try to slow him down cause your like 40 seconds of the pace on overall time of the race...

In many cases people dont have those simple notions and awareness.

Last edited:
No, they really don't have that obligation. In all circumstances I'm aware of in real life racing it is always on the faster car to find a safe way to get past the slower car. Some series use blue flags to indicate "give way", others don't.
There's an exception to this, and it's popularity is probably the source of a lot of the confusion around this issue.

It's Formula 1.

F1 blue flags are mandatory, I believe it's you have three blue flags to get out of the way of the car behind or face a penalty. There's still the onus on both drivers not to have an accident, but the driver being shown the blue has to make a very real and demonstrable effort to make sure that the driver behind has a safe and easy way past.

This is very much not the norm, the vast majority of racing series do not treat blue flags like this for a number of very good reasons. But F1 is probably the motorsport most likely to be watched by casual racing game players, and so one can see how there might be a mistaken assumption that what happens in F1 is the standard for all motor racing.

There's an exception to this, and it's popularity is probably the source of a lot of the confusion around this issue.

It's Formula 1.

F1 blue flags are mandatory, I believe it's you have three blue flags to get out of the way of the car behind or face a penalty. There's still the onus on both drivers not to have an accident, but the driver being shown the blue has to make a very real and demonstrable effort to make sure that the driver behind has a safe and easy way past.

This is very much not the norm, the vast majority of racing series do not treat blue flags like this for a number of very good reasons. But F1 is probably the motorsport most likely to be watched by casual racing game players, and so one can see how there might be a mistaken assumption that what happens in F1 is the standard for all motor racing.
Well said. In my mind the responsibility falls to both drivers. Ramming people out of the way is totally unacceptable, but riding "in the middle" around corners when you know you've got far faster drivers on your tail is almost as bad. When I'm the slower one I'll take the outside lane when cornering or just get off the line in general if it's on a straight. Just seems like the right thing to do. And if you're the slow guy in last and you're actively defending being lapped you deserve to be bumped out of the way if a couple of friendly taps doesn't get the message through. If you happen to qualify ahead of a faster racer, defend away, that's part of race craft, but if it's a driver that is lapping you it's just a dbag move to defend at that point. Sportsmanship cuts both ways and just because a driver is slow it does not give them the right to slow everyone else down.

This is an open letter to those who are " better "

Just because you are better does not make you privileged, does not give you the right to run off the road those that are "slow".

It does not give you the right to ruin the fun and race of those that are not as good.
I am one of those that is not good, I'm average, yes maybe above average and I'm trying my damndest to improve.
I'm also very happy to have a good race but it always seems to get ruined by somebody who is impatient and cannot wait for the right time to make a decent pass therefore he feels it's his right to push me out of the way, shove me off track, and or put me into a wall.

I am sick and tired of this behavior, I enjoy the daily races I try to have fun with them, I do try to raise clean and when I do not I back off, apologize, and try to resume the race as best I can, others I've seen just barge their way through not caring about ruining other people's enjoyment and experience in racing. This has got to stop, please.

Since PD in their infinite lack of wisdom removed the option to limit public lobbies by driver rating, I've had one or two experiences of running into the back of someone slow by accident. It's almost always because they braked about 20 metres too soon. But I'll always stop and wait and give a flash of my lights.

Also sometimes the timing can be out by a long way, making it seen like someone punted you deliberately. It's extreme too. Check this evidence out!

From my pov, PD are at fault and it may not always be deliberate. The other guy might not even know!

Back