Capp Cup v3.0 - SEASON 3 COMPLETE! DSGERBC CHAMP!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,699 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be opening my lounge in about 20 minutes from now.

Lounge is now open for pre-qualifying practise.
Come on over for a taste of Irish Coffee!

Qualifying starts in:
img.php

If you've not already done so, add me on PSN - RDAardvark

Last edited:
The race room is open! Join RDAardvark's lounge for some pre-race practice.

Last edited:
Hi, this is the tune that allowed me to go under 1'02" on Tsukuba. The good thing is that the tune is very easy, don't spin easily, very safe . it' s ok on Suzuka too .

CAPPUCCINO RM

LSD Front 8/12/5

Suspensions settings:

Ride Height -10/00

Spring Rate 10.5/10.2
Extension 10/6
Compression 8/7
Anti-roll bars 1/1
Camber 2.6/1.8
Toe -0.22/+0.25

Brake Balance 6/10

Enjoy.

I agree Lancer, the second race was a blast. Trying to chase Owens down, shaving off a tenth here or there was pretty intense. Thanks for keeping it clean and letting me by after the little incident in the final hairpin. You are a gentleman and a scholar sir!! I wasn't paying as much attention as I should, figuring we were just going to try and catch Owens and then battle it out for first, I should have kept paying attention to you right behind me...lol.

We did have some connection issues last night. Wardez appeared and then disappeared and then reappeared like a ghost and was finally booted for good in the second race. Same with Praiano. Cam was lagging and I think even you Lancer lagged a bit at the beginning of the second race. Probably was a network thing, as I almost black screened the first race, as the screen cleared with about 1 second left in the race countdown. Reminder to everyone to clear their cache from the options menu in GT5, under maintenance I believe. I do it just about every day now.

OH and to Schad and anyone else, I noticed that you Schad have your car set up to shift at around 9000 rpm. We've had lots of testing and practice and can tell you that around 8000 is the ideal shifting rpm. Any more than that and while the engine sounds like an angry hornets' nest, it's more noise than power, much like a Harley...lol. Check the power curve and see how dramatically it drops off after 8000 rpm. Set up your gearing so you can shift at 8000 rpm and top out slightly under 8000 on the fastest part of the track, to allow for some drafting rpm. You'll be a couple tenths faster at least.

Edit: I'll try and make todays race but I'm working on and off and it's hard to say at this point...

Thanks for the heads up about the gearing Johnny. I realised this was happening and was trying to work out how to fix this, unfortunately gearboxes are my weakest area when it comes to tuning. It caused me some serious problems coming out of the final turn, and in turn caused me to hold up the faster drivers on couple of occasions.

If you or any of the other guys could help me out with this a bit. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'd also like to apologise for that incident on the first lap of race one, though I feel I wasn't at all at fault for that. Haven't seen the replay, but I think Cami had lost control of his car, hit me on the inside, causing me to shunt into Owens and someone else. I then tried to give position back to Owens and the other driver, only to let Cami take the positions from all 3 of us...

Hi, this is the tune that allowed me to go under 1'02" on Tsukuba. The good thing is that the tune is very easy, don't spin easily, very safe . it' s ok on Suzuka too .

CAPPUCCINO RM

LSD Front 8/12/5

Suspensions settings:

Ride Height -10/00

Spring Rate 10.5/10.2
Extension 10/6
Compression 8/7
Anti-roll bars 1/1
Camber 2.6/1.8
Toe -0.22/+0.25

Brake Balance 6/10

Enjoy.

I'll have to try this out. I was having a lack of mechanical grip on the final turn. That combined with poor gear ratio setup, was slowing me down coming onto the final straight. Speaking of gear ratios, would you be willing to share your setup, Praiano?

I believe the transmission setup in the Tuning Shop section is the one praiano provided, there are instructions on how to set it up for different tracks. I use it and do very well with it.

Great races today, even though we had a screwy starting grid for some reason. I experienced one of the greatest benefits (IMO) of the reverse grid today, getting to battle with Brosif for the lead over 3-4 laps and then trying to hang on to his bumper for the rest of the race. Figures that my best ever Capp Cup finish comes during a non-points race. Lol

Race 1 Results

imagegqj.jpg

Race 2 Results

imagejzj.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to try this out. I was having a lack of mechanical grip on the final turn. That combined with poor gear ratio setup, was slowing me down coming onto the final straight. Speaking of gear ratios, would you be willing to share your setup, Praiano?

As Brandon mentioned above, just go to the first post, go to the links and find "Click Here for Capp Cup Tuning Shop" and you'll find an example there and the method for adjusting it for different tracks. You only need set it up once, then just move the final gear ratio up or down to set the top speed for the particular track. The example provided will probably work well, as is, for Suzuka East. Just make sure and do a couple of test launches in first and adjust first up or down so you get a good launch.

Some close racing today. Looks like Praiano has put his car together well and it's very gracious of him to share the tune he used today to finish within 7/10ths of Brosif who as many of you know, is about the fastest around in the Cappy on any track.

Congrats Brandon on your solid finish today. Good to see you moving up the ranks!!

Yes ,my gear setup is the same always,the only fine tune is the first gear for the start, after this ,don't use it anymore. for Suzuka just set the final gear to a lower value to increase the speed. Final of the straight +- 7900 to 8100 rpm, the most important i think is to pass the sequence of S turns at good rpm ,between 7000 and 7400 rpm.

Wardez is right, if you're within 1 second or so of the fastest times then you're doing alright.

Here are the qualifying times from Tuesday if it helps.

imageueo.jpg

imagebxf.jpg
:( Looks like I have work to do.

Regarding Suzuka: Curious how many of you guys are lifting and downshifting to 3rd through the middle S's (turns 3 and 4 of the group of S's) that go up the hill towards the ferris wheel? I am running consistent mid 55s, with some 55.3s. I know the target mentioned was around 55 flat with a couple of the crazy guys like Yuri probably hitting mid 54s.

I try to get through there with just a lift and no downshift, with mixed results. If I get a good entry line into the 4th turn in the esses (right hander) then I can keep the power down. However if I don't get a good exit out of the 3rd S then my entry to 4 is totally blown and I really have to back out of it. This is one of those tracks where screwing up one turn can ruin the next 3.

#27 aceboy127 (aceboy127): Blue / Grey
Tuesday: sometimes
Friday: yes
Saturday: no
primary points night: friday

I try to get through there with just a lift and no downshift, with mixed results. If I get a good entry line into the 4th turn in the esses (right hander) then I can keep the power down. However if I don't get a good exit out of the 3rd S then my entry to 4 is totally blown and I really have to back out of it. This is one of those tracks where screwing up one turn can ruin the next 3.

What Stig said.

Ace, great to see you over here.

I was finding that I could get through S4 in 4th with power down (again with good entry like you said), but am feeling like I need a quick lift which makes me feel like I need to go down to 3rd on the S3 (left hander). Will have to do a couple where I keep it in 4th and a couple where I go to 3rd, look back at the replay and see what the MPH is (every time I try to look at the MPH when driving I muck it up =).

In regards to my registration update.
Car is sky blue, silver wheels.
Tuesday yes (primary)
Friday yes
Saturday no

Regarding Suzuka: Curious how many of you guys are lifting and downshifting to 3rd through the middle S's (turns 3 and 4 of the group of S's) that go up the hill towards the ferris wheel? I am running consistent mid 55s, with some 55.3s. I know the target mentioned was around 55 flat with a couple of the crazy guys like Yuri probably hitting mid 54s.

I stay in fourth gear through the esses with a slight lift to get the front end down when necessary. Running mid-55s will put you right in the mix of things and with the draft of the front stretch you shouldn't have any problems making clean passes into T1.

Any idea what the lowest RPM is you are hitting staying in 4th? I know this car does better between 6500 and 8000 compared to anything over 8000. I think my ears are deceiving me in terms of power.

Gentlemen, I don't know about you but I think Suzuka is going to be incredibly close racing! Judging by the times I'm seeing posted, and the availability of the draft on the straight and even through the esses, I think you'll be able to throw a blanket over the field during qualifying, and barring no major incidents, a very close field at the end.

Don't forget also, bump drafting is a real possibility down the front stretch but be careful not to be bumping too close to the first corner. Check out the videos at the beginning of this thread if in doubt. If you fall behind, try and hook up with someone down the front stretch and instead of passing and repassing, bump each other down the straight and perhaps gain a second or so on the cars in front of you. At the All-Star break at Monza last season on RH tires, Wardez and I hooked up in the second race to pull out a 17 second advantage on poor Brandon, whose drafting partner I believe got punted from the race due to server issues. We were 10 seconds faster in the second race compared to the first, overall, mostly due to the bumping, and that was reverse grid too.

Although there were no formal complaints lodged for the Pre-Season Tsukuba events, I did watch the replays and I'd like to make a comment or two.

I discounted the first lap stuff and the lagging and still there were a few of what I'd call "divebombs". If anyone is in doubt, please review the videos in the Cappuccino Cup Racing School in the OP. Don't forget, a divebomb at Tsukuba, in 2nd gear results in a bump off the racing line, and perhaps getting the rear end out. A bump going into the first corner at Suzuka going nearly 200 km/h in 5th gear will result in much worse. So let's try not to dart out at the last second and try to be nose to nose with someone when entering the corner, and if you're not, then give up the racing line and try again later.

Also, if there is an incident, Lancer provided a good example of what to do to correct the situation on the track. We got together in the last hairpin at Tsukuba, I got pushed a bit off the line but nothing major, Lancer took the place from me, but then when it was safe, after the last corner and on the front straight, he clearly pulled over and let me by, gentleman racer that he is. You don't need to pull over right away, you don't need to slow right down. Keep up your pace, stay on the track and when you can safely do it, pull over, reduce your pace slightly and let the other racer by. You don't need to penalize yourself excessively by slowing down dramatically.

Be patient. The only thing that matters is the last lap and your position at the checkered, not on lap 3. If you're in a group of 2 or 3 or 4 guys battling it out lap after lap, it's great fun to swap spots lap after lap. But it also increases the chances of an unfortunate incident in which both or all of you could lose positions. Try to position yourself for the checkered flag. Sometimes that means being in the lead at the last corner, sometimes it means being set up to draft to the finish line.

At the race I mentioned above in Monza last season, Wardez and I swapped bumping positions a couple of times but we both knew coming out of the last corner it would be every man for himself. There was no need to constantly jockey for position lap after lap, and we both knew that. We worked together to make sure we finished 1-2, without crashing each other out. Lots of other guys have hooked up over the previous two seasons to do that very same thing, and very successfully.

Lancer and I did basically the same thing in the second race Friday at Tsukuba, without the bump drafting, just being careful with each other, not making any crazy passes, so we could battle it out on the last lap for the win. If you saved the replay, watch the last lap from Lancer's perspective, in the bird's eye view. I protect the inside on the back straight, Lancer swings outside, we go through the sweeper side by side, no contact and at the flag the difference is 0.054!! It's awesome!! With racing like that I don't care if I win or lose, unless we're playing for real money...lol..I am just happy to be a part of it.

Also, if you are running in a pack of a couple or more guys racing for third, 5 seconds behind the leader with a few laps to go, you aren't going to make up 5 seconds in these cars in 5 laps, without bump drafting, they are just too close and the leaders are too consistent and fast. Your race is for third, so that's what you position yourself for. Know your limitations and live to fight another day...lol. Better 3rd or 4th, than being stuck in the sandtrap without a wedge!!

Good luck and good racing!

^I actually was bump drafting you with what little draft Tsukuba gave me. If I felt it was safe I was all over your back bumper.

Johnnypenso
Gentlemen, I don't know about you but I think Suzuka is going to be incredibly close racing! Judging by the times I'm seeing posted, and the availability of the draft on the straight and even through the esses, I think you'll be able to throw a blanket over the field during qualifying, and barring no major incidents, a very close field at the end.

Don't forget also, bump drafting is a real possibility down the front stretch but be careful not to be bumping too close to the first corner. Check out the videos at the beginning of this thread if in doubt. If you fall behind, try and hook up with someone down the front stretch and instead of passing and repassing, bump each other down the straight and perhaps gain a second or so on the cars in front of you. At the All-Star break at Monza last season on RH tires, Wardez and I hooked up in the second race to pull out a 17 second advantage on poor Brandon, whose drafting partner I believe got punted from the race due to server issues. We were 10 seconds faster in the second race compared to the first, overall, mostly due to the bumping, and that was reverse grid too.

Although there were no formal complaints lodged for the Pre-Season Tsukuba events, I did watch the replays and I'd like to make a comment or two.

I discounted the first lap stuff and the lagging and still there were a few of what I'd call "divebombs". If anyone is in doubt, please review the videos in the Cappuccino Cup Racing School in the OP. Don't forget, a divebomb at Tsukuba, in 2nd gear results in a bump off the racing line, and perhaps getting the rear end out. A bump going into the first corner at Suzuka going nearly 200 km/h in 5th gear will result in much worse. So let's try not to dart out at the last second and try to be nose to nose with someone when entering the corner, and if you're not, then give up the racing line and try again later.

Also, if there is an incident, Lancer provided a good example of what to do to correct the situation on the track. We got together in the last hairpin at Tsukuba, I got pushed a bit off the line but nothing major, Lancer took the place from me, but then when it was safe, after the last corner and on the front straight, he clearly pulled over and let me by, gentleman racer that he is. You don't need to pull over right away, you don't need to slow right down. Keep up your pace, stay on the track and when you can safely do it, pull over, reduce your pace slightly and let the other racer by. You don't need to penalize yourself excessively by slowing down dramatically.

Be patient. The only thing that matters is the last lap and your position at the checkered, not on lap 3. If you're in a group of 2 or 3 or 4 guys battling it out lap after lap, it's great fun to swap spots lap after lap. But it also increases the chances of an unfortunate incident in which both or all of you could lose positions. Try to position yourself for the checkered flag. Sometimes that means being in the lead at the last corner, sometimes it means being set up to draft to the finish line.

At the race I mentioned above in Monza last season, Wardez and I swapped bumping positions a couple of times but we both knew coming out of the last corner it would be every man for himself. There was no need to constantly jockey for position lap after lap, and we both knew that. We worked together to make sure we finished 1-2, without crashing each other out. Lots of other guys have hooked up over the previous two seasons to do that very same thing, and very successfully.

Lancer and I did basically the same thing in the second race Friday at Tsukuba, without the bump drafting, just being careful with each other, not making any crazy passes, so we could battle it out on the last lap for the win. If you saved the replay, watch the last lap from Lancer's perspective, in the bird's eye view. I protect the inside on the back straight, Lancer swings outside, we go through the sweeper side by side, no contact and at the flag the difference is 0.054!! It's awesome!! With racing like that I don't care if I win or lose, unless we're playing for real money...lol..I am just happy to be a part of it.

Also, if you are running in a pack of a couple or more guys racing for third, 5 seconds behind the leader with a few laps to go, you aren't going to make up 5 seconds in these cars in 5 laps, without bump drafting, they are just too close and the leaders are too consistent and fast. Your race is for third, so that's what you position yourself for. Know your limitations and live to fight another day...lol. Better 3rd or 4th, than being stuck in the sandtrap without a wedge!!

Good luck and good racing!

+1 to all of this. There were a few semi-ugly incidents during the preseason races but there were also many examples of very good racing and gentlemanly conduct. There will always be some incidents but it's how we react to the incidents that matters. We don't expect everyone to be perfect and we aren't here to give out penalties for every little incident, but we do expect everyone to try their best, learn from your mistakes and above all treat your fellow drivers with respect. If everyone does that then we won't have any problems or the need for penalties. The Capp Cup does attract a lot of people who are new to online racing so there are some growing pains to be expected, but I would much rather help them become better at their racecraft then scare them off with a bunch of strict rules and punishments. So far it's worked out swimmingly. :)

On to new business, I too am looking forward to racing at Suzuka East, I haven't competed there very much and I think it will produce a new kind of racing for the Capp. It can be a very easy and a very difficult track all at the same time, but that also makes it more rewarding when you get it right! The one thing I've noticed about the track so far is that more people seem to be close to the same lap times of 55.xxx seconds so this should prove to be quite exciting! Of course it also has the potential to be very hazardous so I think I'll try to hold a practice session tomorrow night where we can do som 5 lap races and get used to that draft going into turns 1 & 2 before we kick off the points races. 👍 Details will be posted tomorrow.

Hi guys,is it possible if I move my tuesday slot to saturday?As I have cca training on mon,wed and fri.

You can race any day you want as long as it's not full, no problem.

We declared our main nights just in case there were full days, that's all. It's not super official.

I have updated some things in the OP's. After our discussion about conduct yesterday I've re-worked the PENALTIES section to be more fitting of the Capp Cup.

I've also added a new section to the bottom of the Racing School section called RECOMMENDED READING. It's a collection of threads from GTP that we think might be of some use to drivers in both their Capp Cup events and general GT5 activities. If anybody knows of some other threads we can add here, send them my way!

Planning on being on tonight somewhere between 7:30-9:00 est, hope to catch you for some practice.

That's probably about when I'll be on. Should have a lounge open by 7pm EDT for some free Suzuka practice so everyone can get a feel for the draft.

If we get enough people I might try to do a little group photoshoot, do a 1 lap race but have everyone line their cars up side-by-side in a certain area of a track and then save the replay so I can get some shots in photomode. 👍

I've been making some tweaks and additions to the all the OP's (posts #1-7). No major policy changes or anything, just cleaning things up a little bit and adding some new content/re-wording some things. I'll be doing more of this over the next few days, so if you have a few free minutes please read back through them and let me know if you have any questions.

I'm down for some testing as well. I'll probably hop on in a minute or two and set up my own lounge. Add me if anyone's interested in testing a little earlier. I'll of course be joining Stig's lounge once that's up.

I'm down for some testing as well. I'll probably hop on in a minute or two and set up my own lounge. Add me if anyone's interested in testing a little earlier. I'll of course be joining Stig's lounge once that's up.

You're not in your lounge... but I am. I'll be practicing in my lounge until Brandon has his stuff set up.

Had a ton of fun for the brief time I was on (well the first race...the second one sucked on my part...thought I could pass Johnny on the outside and ran off into the grass). Hoping the competition is that close tomorrow night. I seem to sike myself out with lap times, tend to run better and cleaner in a pack. Still a crap load to learn about this online racing. Thanks for the patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back