cars you hate, vent out your anger here

• Thread starter alfiD
  • 365 comments
The X6 is stupid, but utterly fantastic to drive for a two-plus ton SUV.

Still utterly stupid, pointless and useless.

-

I want mine in red, with the three liter turbo six.

-

Oh lordy, the FF argument again? We just spent the entire day hooning Toyota 86s, Hyundai Genesis Coupes and the new MINI Coupe S. Guess what? Some people actually preferred the MINI. And that includes me. Better over rough road surfaces than the 86, more agile than either rear-drivers in traffic and pretty keen to change direction. The 86 and Coupe have better balance in long, continuous... errh... loooong sweepers, but that's about the long and short of it. And the MINI has the best automatic of the lot, to boot. (Yes, we also drove manuals, and the manual 86 is the most delicious new rear driver around since the MX5)

Easy to hate something you've never driven.

I've only ever driven three or four cars over the past few years that I actively hate. And three of them were rear wheel drive. The front driver only gets included because the brakes failed on me going downhill, and the handbrake was utter rubbish.

-

That said, on Honda: The Fit is brilliant, the new Civic is a comfortable commuter, if rubbish to drive, the Accord is a boat, the CR-V is the last car any soccer-mom will ever need (and that's a compliment) and the Odyssey is a barrel of laughs for such a big van.

Last edited:
2002_Alfa_Romeo_166_Gold.jpg

This.
With it's stupid lights, and it's stupid grill, and it's stupid bonnet and it's stupid bumper, all accumulate into one stupid droopy face.

bomb.gif

sleepgo.gif

I don't know, I've always sort of liked the 166. It had a unique look in its segment, and represented a bit a of departure from the traditional big sedan. 👍

Also, while we're on the subject of ludicrous cars:

Words don't even begin to describe this Pinto-based nightmare...

- Huge (fiber)glass chin? Check.
- Fake hoodscoop? Check.
- Gutless engine? Check.
- Stickers? Check.
- More Stickers? Check.
- Huh? You found still more stickers? Ok, check.
- Severely damaging the Mustang name? Check.

This thread is an entertaining read to be honest. :dopey:
I'm okay with new niche models, but car makers should at least make an effort to make them look decent. If Audi can do it with their cars, why can't BMW? The X6 looks like the nasty love child of an X5 and a 6-series. BMW know better than this.
When I was a washing/detailing cars during the term break, I disliked the X6 even more.

In addition to all the things mentioned above, like being over-priced, aesthetically challenged and and lacking purpose it's just irritating.

Its tall but you still bang your head getting in and out of the back (I just finished a Range Rover at that point but still, Im short.), it's hard to get in and out of for something so big, the rear seat lacks space, the trunk is a pain to use and it's a biatch to clean/detail. Its also hard to park. Forget rear and side 3/4 visibility. And it just feels too big.

Last edited:
I don't know, I've always sort of liked the 166. It had a unique look in its segment, and represented a bit a of departure from the traditional big sedan. 👍

Also, while we're on the subject of ludicrous cars:

Words don't even begin to describe this Pinto-based nightmare...

- Huge (fiber)glass chin? Check.
- Fake hoodscoop? Check.
- Gutless engine? Check.
- Stickers? Check.
- More Stickers? Check.
- Huh? You found still more stickers? Ok, check.
- Severely damaging the Mustang name? Check.

It's too bad that engine had all the crap done to it to severely limit it's power. A motor that churned out 300hp at the flywheel several years prior and now couldn't even touch 145hp was just pathetic.

Bigbazz
8My car is FF and it's great, pretty fast with excellent handling, and its 10 years old this year. The time of FF cars being terrible understeer buckets was long gone even when my car was made, there are some awesome FF cars these days. I drove a Citreon DS3 the other day, a sportier model... Now usually I don't really like Citreon they just never appealed to me but this was a real great car, looked great and was quality built and it drove like a dream, no understeer and the brakes were real good.

To the guy above talking about Mini's, my dad used to own a rally mini in the late 70s/early 80s, I hope it makes you feel better knowing that it ended up in 2 pieces in the middle of a field, he killed it dead! As for the new style mini, I've not driven one but If its anything like the GT5 new Mini then those things are great cars, again FF.

The days of FF cars boing boring, slow, understeering buckets are just so long gone. I can understand a hate for the Honda Civic based on the type of people who want to own it, street racers, tuners, drag racers etc. But that largely came from it being a great car in the first place, amazingly reliable engine, great handling and an excellent starting point for tuning, it was these reasons that the car was also adopted for track racing and even rallying. By all accounts the Honda Civic (i'm thinking of the 90s) was a great car, your dislike for it seems to be more around the people who are associated with owning it..

But I get that, completely. As I said BMW's are often seen as cars driven by wankers and drug dealers, and I never liked the styling on them. I know they are amazing cars, not just good cars, but I'd probably never buy one.

Never said it wasn't a good car. Simply that I don't like it. That's what this thread is about. Sadly, I don't see Citreons for sale where I live =(.

Ooh... This is going to be a shocker, but I seriously do not care for Dodge. Right now, and in recent years... I think what they've made is crap. The Magnum wagon had a good bit of style and I actually did like it, but the Charger/Challenger/Journey/etc?

Sorry, but the Camaro... looks better, handles better, and all that. (Yes, I've ridden in every single car mentioned.)

On the subject of FF cars... I co-own with my dad a '93 Del Sol Si. (It has the SOHC with V-Tec.) We got it after the last car we had (a 86 Jetta) finally kicked the bucket and after the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight (1992?) died as well.

That little car is a hell of a lot of fun to drive. The backroads of Pennsylvania are the perfect playground for the thing. Compared to the other Hondas, it's heavy, but when you look at it from a wider perspective - it's relatively light.

We've actually done no exterior modifications whatsoever at the moment, and we don't plan to, besides replacing the left front fender and replacing the rear deck with a wingless one (If you've ever driven one at night, the wing catches the light off of the back... it's actually a bit annoying.) Only thing I've personally done is put an Akina Speed Stars sticker on the back window...

It's not so much the car that I hate, more the drivers of SUVs, especially the ones from GM and Ford. I always see just one person inside them, so I really wonder why the need for such a big, fuel-inefficient car.

I get the idea that people who drive SUVs only do so because they themselves are terrible drivers, and need a big cushion around them in case of an accident.

I disagree. Just because there is one person inside of them doesn't mean they drive it for a cushion. My dad owns an '02 Excursion an most of the time he drives alone. He needs the seats every other week for me and my sisters and he needs the space for transporting work supplies.

I don't get the Ferrari California, least pretty, messiest looking Ferrari ever IMHO.

When the new California was first announced I was pretty excited, since I live in California. I was imagining myself being able to afford one and rolling around in it. But taking a closer look at it, it is pretty bubbly and sort of tall. They should offer a hardtop version, if they do, then that is just awesome.

There's an article floating about the internets called "No, you are not entitled to your opinion.".

The upshot of it is that retaining an opinion that is based on poor information and poor reasoning after you've been shown better information and better reasoning is effectively saying that you're stupid - and no-one pays any attention whatsoever to stupid people's thoughts because they're stupid.

You're entitled to any opinion for which you can reasonably argue and that can be defended with reason. Then it will be given equal weight to any other opinion that can be reasonably argued and defended.

That's pretty harsh, although true, I think. But he/she does kind of say that if they drive an ff and they like it, well they like it. But about this article. I looked it up and, it was written by a philosopher. I mean, that's cool that he's from a university. But the fact that he is a philosopher just bugs me. Maybe if there was an actual scientific study proving so I would take it as fact, until then, it is just the philosophers opinion :) (and it seems that they are talking about law or something, something easily proved and disproved). By the way I'm assuming you are the moderator or someone important on these boards, nice to meet you. I just signed up last week when I ran into these boards while searching on what car to use at the Historic Car cup. I tried the recommended cars with no success.

Now on his/her view on ff, well, I can't really agree or disagree because I don't know if they mean for racing or for daily driving. Most ff are good school work cars, like the Nissan Sentra (I use to own one), saves gas, and is a fine work of engineering. And yes I think it is better than most Hondas. However I would never try to race it, since it wasn't originally intended for that. Plus I wouldn't want to ruin my car. But that is just my "world view" on this.

As for the arguing on ffs, that's a difficult one, since one can't hold the handling of a few or the experience of a few people driving them and liking how they drive as a "law" saying that it is truth and that any other opinion is wrong. It is like grabbing a couple people who love to eat at McDonald's and having them say "I been eating this for a while I don't see how it is bad for you, if you disagree, well look at bob and tim and mary over here who agree with me."

Still love the concept of all these cars people hate that they probably haven't driven. Or driving like two resolutely average front-drive cars and deciding all FWDs are rubbish.

I have to say, as reasons to hate a car go, it crippling you over a period of several years is fairly convincing :D

That said, I've driven a BINI (a few of them in fact) and they are quite entertaining. You need one of the new Coupes - they don't have back seats :D

This might have some truth to it. The people who drive those big rig trucks experience injuries with their back. I think they call it sciatica.

Hey people sorry about all the other multi quote post, I couldn't find how to do the multi quote on one post thing on the mobile app version of this.

A FWD road car is about as suited to racing as a RWD road car. In other words, you need to do quite a bit of work on either.

-

FWD is inferior in the dry, from an outright speed standpoint, but it's more stable and in wet conditions, can outperform RWD competitors. FWD in the past has seen great success in rallies, as it possesses the on-throttle stability benefits of AWD without the additional weight and complication.

When I'm on the racetrack, I appreciate RWD. But when hooning around in the dirt or threading my way down a particularly tasty downhill, full of off-camber turns, dips, bumps and tricksy corner combinations, a good FWD is my weapon of choice.

Older Sentras are good track cars if you have one with the punchy SR20 motor (not that piece of garbage QR25). Civics are even better due to the wide range of suspension and engine options, but it's typically a matter of taste.

-

Hating on Hondas because of the people who drive them is just as silly as hating Nokias because terrorsts use them as bomb-triggers.

Last edited:
The 2010 Dodge Charger. My ex had one and I hated every mile I spent in the car. Ironically, that car was why we got together - I was admiring it in a parking lot and she walked up, we talked about it, one thing led to the next, etc. Anyway, that thing was the biggest POS I've driven in a long time. The ride was horrible, the interior was beyond cheap, the car was full of creeks, rattles, and odd noises, it was ridiculously slow - my Durango beat it up to 70 mph, it was hard to see out of, it's blind spots where alarmingly huge, and it seemed like it was at the dealership for breakdowns more than it was on the road. And this car had less than 20,000 miles, and she did a really good job keeping up on regular maintenance, so it's not like it was neglected. It's not even like it started deteriorating faster than a car should, it's like Dodge knowingly sold an unfinished, problematic, squeaky lemon. What an unbelievable turd. We had to rent a Kia Forte one time and I remarked how much nicer the Kia was than her Charger, which led to a night on the couch lol.

Last edited:
Where are these roads? :lol:

Yeah, that was a little tongue-in-cheek :sly:. But there's some great coastal roads we went on in the Far North...was a pity though that we were on them in a Kia Grand Carnival.

Still, FWD cynics need to drive the truly great bum-draggers we have these days. RenaultSport models in particular. I've had some great fun in a 182 Cup Clio.

Murcie_LP640
Yeah, that was a little tongue-in-cheek :sly:. But there's some great coastal roads we went on in the Far North...was a pity though that we were on them in a Kia Grand Carnival.

Still, FWD cynics need to drive the truly great bum-draggers we have these days. RenaultSport models in particular. I've had some great fun in a 182 Cup Clio.

Sadly, no Renaults here =(. At least not that I know of.

XS
The 2010 Dodge Charger. My ex had one and I hated every mile I spent in the car. Ironically, that car was why we got together - I was admiring it in a parking lot and she walked up, we talked about it, one thing led to the next, etc. Anyway, that thing was the biggest POS I've driven in a long time. The ride was horrible, the interior was beyond cheap, the car was full of creeks, rattles, and odd noises, it was ridiculously slow - my Durango beat it up to 70 mph, it was hard to see out of, it's blind spots where alarmingly huge, and it seemed like it was at the dealership for breakdowns more than it was on the road. And this car had less than 20,000 miles, and she did a really good job keeping up on regular maintenance, so it's not like it was neglected. It's not even like it started deteriorating faster than a car should, it's like Dodge knowingly sold and unfinished, problematic, squeaky lemon. What an unbelievable turd. We had to rent a Kia Forte one time and I remarked how much nicer the Kia was than her Charger, which led to a night on the couch lol.

Yeah. I think the problem with most american car companies ( and even companies that don't make cars) is that they try to find the most low cost way of manufacturing something. They fight tooth and nail to lower the cost ( sometimes their job depends on it). So they use a whole bunch of really cheap materials, methods, etc. And this leads to a 20, 000 problem for the consumer. Who by the time they are done making payments on the car it might be worth 11, 000, if they took really good care of it.

Personally I love the X6, but I'm not going to bother arguing about it, you allowed to not like it obviously but I just wanted to point out that niche cars don't appeal to everybody - they wouldn't be niche if they did. Also, no use to you does not equal pointless, it has a point, you just don't agree with it.

With all due respect, you don't have to argue or agree with me since this thread (like the massive majority here) is reserved for opinions, which is why I said that is pointless to me, I never stated my opinion as fact, mind you. ;)

I actually love the 166, it's pretty imponent when you see it in the metal and it's a very different used buy. I really crave it.

:lol:
I'm going to guess that you bought it thinking it had a DOHC? ;)

No. We wanted the better fuel economy, plus the model year (1993) didn't come with one in the States. That didn't matter, and for $300 how can you go wrong? For a first car... I consider myself damn lucky to get it.

And yes, this is a daily driver, despite it being cold here and it being a convertible. No intention of taking it racing, I was being facetious by adding the sticker because I have the skill level of Itsuki Takeuchi (I'm a rookie at driving, yes.)

Last edited:
It's too bad that engine had all the crap done to it to severely limit it's power. A motor that churned out 300hp at the flywheel several years prior and now couldn't even touch 145hp was just pathetic.

Hehe, tell me about it! :ouch: The late '70s in general was definitely a bad time for muscle cars. The Mustang was the example I chose to go with because I thought it was the most egregious violator, but all 4 companies suffered for sure. As you say, all the engines that within the space of a few years went from fire-breathing monsters to anemic shells of their former selves. I suppose most of those stickers and flares 'muscle cars' could be put into this thread, eh?

Hehe, tell me about it! :ouch: The late '70s in general was definitely a bad time for muscle cars. The Mustang was the example I chose to go with because I thought it was the most egregious violator, but all 4 companies suffered for sure. As you say, all the engines that within the space of a few years went from fire-breathing monsters to anemic shells of their former selves. I suppose most of those stickers and flares 'muscle cars' could be put into this thread, eh?

Yeah performance car from the '70s was pretty bland, though I did like the mid-late '70s 'Vettes. The Mustang doesn't look that bad in person but it definitely isn't great. What they should have done was take a 2 door Maverick grabber, make it slightly larger and flare the fenders, and stick '71-'73 era Mustang taillights on it with a a modified '69/'70 GT500 front end.

Trucks from the '70s and '80s....quite the opposite. Those really shined then.

Yeah performance car from the '70s was pretty bland, though I did like the mid-late '70s 'Vettes. The Mustang doesn't look that bad in person but it definitely isn't great. What they should have done was take a 2 door Maverick grabber, make it slightly larger and flare the fenders, and stick '71-'73 era Mustang taillights on it with a a modified '69/'70 GT500 front end.

Trucks from the '70s and '80s....quite the opposite. Those really shined then.

The Trans-Ams from the latter half of the 1970s were pretty cool, but that was mostly because of their Bandit-ness, and because I'm a sucker for anything wearing a black-and-gold colour scheme. I remember seeing a Mustang II at a car show once though and thought it looked very squished in person. Those Australian Falcons would've made a cool Mustang over here, though. Can't comment on period pickups as I know very little about them, but I surmise they were built like tanks, because I see quite a few on the roads still.

No. We wanted the better fuel economy, plus the model year (1993) didn't come with one in the States. That didn't matter, and for $300 how can you go wrong? For a first car... I consider myself damn lucky to get it.

And yes, this is a daily driver, despite it being cold here and it being a convertible. No intention of taking it racing, I was being facetious by adding the sticker because I have the skill level of Itsuki Takeuchi (I'm a rookie at driving, yes.)

I meant it as a joke.
(Itsuki wants to get the twin cam Levin, but finds out that he's actually bought a single cam version.)

The Trans-Ams from the latter half of the 1970s were pretty cool, but that was mostly because of their Bandit-ness, and because I'm a sucker for anything wearing a black-and-gold colour scheme. I remember seeing a Mustang II at a car show once though and thought it looked very squished in person. Those Australian Falcons would've made a cool Mustang over here, though. Can't comment on period pickups as I know very little about them, but I surmise they were built like tanks, because I see quite a few on the roads still.

Ahhhh I forgot the Bandit. I liked them all, particularly '75-'79. As for trucks, most had 400+ cube engines and were built like absolute tanks, MPG, hauling capactity etc remains unchanged even now....but new trucks lack that special something....built to last......need I say more.

These are not vehicles I hate, just using an example for AMC.

1979 Ford F250
79ford.jpg

1979 Chevy 2500HD
10232593_20118210938.jpg

How can some people possibly judge a car by the driver alone is well beyond me.

Judge it by it's heritage, it's styling cues, it's performance / economy factor. Not by who or what drives it.

I meant it as a joke.
(Itsuki wants to get the twin cam Levin, but finds out that he's actually bought a single cam version.)

That's what my guess was. No offense taken, and then I realized 10 seconds after I posted that was very similar to what Itsuki did... I need to go rewatch it, spent good money on the full season sets from Funimation this Christmas.

/offtopic

Has anyone mentioned the Pontiac Aztek yet?
Read the first bit of the entry - I can see what the idea was behind the Aztek, but... it failed. Miserably.
280px-2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg

My dad likes this. He says he likes the style. I can't help but wonder if he's gone insane - I'd rather have a Yugo than a Aztek.

FireEmblem10
That's what my guess was. No offense taken, and then I realized 10 seconds after I posted that was very similar to what Itsuki did... I need to go rewatch it, spent good money on the full season sets from Funimation this Christmas.

/offtopic

Has anyone mentioned the Pontiac Aztek yet?
Read the first bit of the entry - I can see what the idea was behind the Aztek, but... it failed. Miserably.

My dad likes this. He says he likes the style. I can't help but wonder if he's gone insane - I'd rather have a Yugo than a Aztek.

I remember when the aztec came out. Ugly car. Some people actually rushed to buy it, one of my neighbors still has one.

How can some people possibly judge a car by the driver alone is well beyond me.

Judge it by it's heritage, it's styling cues, it's performance / economy factor. Not by who or what drives it.

If tools drive a car it ruins it for me and I'd never want one. It's the biggest reason why I could never bring myself to own a Miata. The car itself is fine, I just don't want to be associated with what I see as the majority of the owners. All older cars are the same way for me, I do like muscle cars but when I'm around many muscle car owners/enthusiasts they make me facepalm hard.

I do find it funny when people hate the Prius just because it's a hybrid. I can understand the owners being smug and full of themselves but it isn't a bad car, nor is it out to destroy the automotive world. I don't want to own one, but I don't actively hate the car.

As far as cars I hate? I can't think of much. I had to live with a 4 cylinder Mazda6 as a rental car for 2 weeks and I pretty much hate every fiber of that car because it can't get out of it's own way and is a horribly uncomfortable place to be. Maybe not in rental trim it's an OK car, but I don't think I ever want to try.

Joey D
I do find it funny when people hate the Prius just because it's a hybrid. I can understand the owners being smug and full of themselves but it isn't a bad car, nor is it out to destroy the automotive world. I don't want to own one, but I don't actively hate the car.

I do actively hate the prius, but not because it's a hybrid, in fact there are hybrids I quite like, but because of what it represents. The fact that Toyota has literally sacrificed everything important to a car in the desperate pursuit of fuel economy appals me. They've completely removed the fun, the power, the practicality, the comfort, everything, just to get a few more MPG's. And that to me is stupid and inexcusable.

I am not very fond of the entire Scion brand. Or anything Toyota these days.

It's mostly the Scion TC I can't stand. Almost every TC that I have seen was being driven by some tool who drives far too recklessly. That and the car is pretty slow to begin with, and is really only in existence to please the younger, "tuner" crowd.

I do actively hate the prius, but not because it's a hybrid, in fact there are hybrids I quite like, but because of what it represents. The fact that Toyota has literally sacrificed everything important to a car in the desperate pursuit of fuel economy appals me. They've completely removed the fun, the power, the practicality, the comfort, everything, just to get a few more MPG's. And that to me is stupid and inexcusable.

It's a car built for a specific market, not everyone is an automotive enthusiast.. And I don't understand what's so bad about the pursuit of fuel economy.

If tools drive a car it ruins it for me and I'd never want one. It's the biggest reason why I could never bring myself to own a Miata. The car itself is fine, I just don't want to be associated with what I see as the majority of the owners.

I'd be curious to know what the majority of owners you see are like because the majority I've seen and met seem like normal people and people I don't mind being associated with. You should stop worrying about what people think of you.

Back