Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio d'Italia 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 178 comments
Awesome from Charles.

Incredibly dumb from McLaren.
You don’t win championships like this.

Max finishes p6 and has a laugh.

Last edited:
Only teams not challenging for the drivers championship start saying the constructors championship is what they are after…
They'll want the drivers for sure, but constructors is number 1 for a team, Ferrari are also very very close in the constructors as well to Mclaren and Red Bull, start messing around with needless team orders and you suddenly find yourself in P3 and looking a bit stupid.

They'll want the drivers for sure, but constructors is number 1 for a team, Ferrari are also very very close in the constructors as well to Mclaren and Red Bull, start messing around with needless team orders and you suddenly find yourself in P3 and looking a bit stupid.

Nonsense.

Congrats to Charles, Ferrari, and the Tifosi, but yo... what the heck?

I thought McLaren would gap the field. Not sure if Oscar passing Lando so early was a good thing, but I wasn't expecting the Ferrari to not munch its tires and be so quick. Good on them.

Stoked for KMag and Albon getting points.

Nice points for McLaren, but damn...

hWGBKil1b9fpR5go1f.webp

McLaren has the faster car, but the Ferrari used that against them with their ability to save the tires. 👍

Quite frankly, while I'd love nothing more than for Norris (or anyone) to take the title from Max, I think that Max is still the favorite to win the WDC this year, and today kinda solidified that. As long as the other top teams are fighting and stealing points from one another, and as long as McLaren continues to have issues with race management, then I think Max will still grab the WDC if he remains consitent, albeit by a rather thin margin. I do think McLaren will steal the WCC from Red Bull, though.

Last edited:
Hard to be mad when a Ferrari winning makes the crowd goes nuts like that. Damn that's awesome. 😮

Last edited:
To you, but you seem to think Lando is the center of the universe so not surprising you think that.

No he isn’t. Grow up. But I also don’t think swapping 2 drivers on a straight is somehow risky and could put you on the back foot in the constructors race.

Every team that has spawned world champions in the last 20 years has commited to one driver at least at the half way point in the championship.

With the exception of Ros/Ham of course - and look at how messy that got.

McLaren not committing to their leading driver is not only baffling, it’s honestly a bit immature.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, while I'd love nothing more than for Norris (or anyone) to take the title from Max, I think that Max is still the favorite to win the WDC this year, and today kinda solidified that. As long as the other top teams are fighting and stealing points from one another, and as long as McLaren continues to have issues with race management, then I think Max will still grab the WDC if he remains consitent, albeit by a rather thin margin. I do think McLaren will steal the WCC from Red Bull, though.
I agree with you apart from the race management thing, they have made some glaring errors this season, like Silverstone, but today isn't one of those days. Yea people will say they cost Lando points but they didn't really, Lando cost Lando points, they were allowed to race and Lando wasn't fast enough. They aren't going to risk a needless switch whilst pursuing a race win.

Last edited:
I agree with you apart from the race management thing, they have made some glaring errors this season, like Silverstone, but today isn't one of those days. Yea people will say they cost Lando points but they didn't really, Lando cost Lando points, they were allowed to race and Lando wasn't fast enough. They aren't going to risk a needless switch whilst pursuing a race win.
Eh, I dunno. Today was absolutely better, but I think McLaren is still trying to adjust the position they're currently in. Out of nowhere, they suddenly have the fastest car overall on the grid, and they have 2 #1 drivers under them, with one fighting for a championship, and another being clearly capable of regular race wins. With the whole "Papaya Rules" thing, I feel like the team is still trying to figure out if they can have their cake and eat it, too, and that may bite them in the ass later in the long run.

Last edited:
Piastri laying down a marker would have meant more had he gone on to win the race. McLaren just look silly; are they aware that they're fighting for the title?

Full credit to Ferrari. A poker game strategy and the gamble paid off.

No he isn’t. Grow up. But I also don’t think swapping 2 drivers on a straight is somehow risky and could put you on the back foot in the constructors race.

Every team that has spawned world champions in the last 20 years has commited to one driver at least at the half way point in the championship.

With the exception of Ros/Han of course - and look at how messy that got.

McLaren not committing to their leading driver is not only baffling, it’s honestly a bit immature.
That's why Red Bull have Perez, Mercedes had Bottas, Red Bull had Webber. They didn't need to take that decision because there was a clear no.1 before a wheel was turned, especially with Verstappen and Hamilton, with the exception as you say of the Rosberg years.

Oscar and Lando are both number 1 drivers, if Landos ability was a big as his ego then, again, it wouldn't be a factor because he'd be clear, but he isn't and Oscar is getting better every race.

Piastri laying down a marker would have meant more had he gone on to win the race. McLaren just look silly; are they aware that they're fighting for the title?

Full credit to Ferrari. A poker game strategy and the gamble paid off.
But it's Ferrari who made them lose, not themselves. Doesn't matter what way round they finish 2-3 for the title. Yes it matters for the drivers but Lando didn't have any pace so that's on him.

I think they made the right call letting Oscar make a run for the lead b/c there was always the chance Charles' tires would've fallen off or caused Charles to make a mistake for McLaren to pounce. Swapping them around so Lando would end up w/ just 2 more points (in retrospect now) when there's a 62 point lead vs. a much, much closer battle now for the WCC.

If Lando wants to make a real shot at Max, he's gotta perform better. The poor pole starts are becoming a bit of a running gag.

Last edited:
Thoughts:

Colapinto is miles better than Sargent. Good work Williams, albeit too late. Great debut drive.

Norris really needs to work on his lap 1, it's gonna kill him

Red Bull love to try and get other teams (usually Mercedes) into trouble

McLaren are prioritising constructors over drivers. Maybe rightfully so, but might cost Norris in the end. That's at least 10 points now Norris (in my opinion) has rightfully lost out on which could have been avoided with ruthless team orders.

Ferrari - for once, I applaud their strategy and bravery. Well done

The close racing / fight we all wished for has probably handed Verstappen another title, in a strange way. Or if not, it's helped Max maintain a lead that exceeds the situation in reality. If only the first 4/5 races weren't so one sided!

Last edited:
That's why Red Bull have Perez, Mercedes had Bottas, Red Bull had Webber. They didn't need to take that decision because there was a clear no.1 before a wheel was turned, especially with Verstappen and Hamilton, with the exception as you say of the Rosberg years.

Oscar and Lando are both number 1 drivers, if Landos ability was a big as his ego then, again, it wouldn't be a factor because he'd be clear, but he isn't and Oscar is getting better every race.

Sure, but one of them is ahead and has a shot at the title.

Many teams have had a “let the drivers drive” policy in the first half of the season in the past.

But once one driver pulls ahead he gets the #1 treatment - at least for the rest of the season.

This is not about Oscar’s or Lando’s feelings.

This is about winning the championship you are competing in.

Last edited:
Monza delivers something special yet again. This championship has really come alive and I’m sure we’ll see more quality action in the remaining rounds. See NASCAR? You don’t need stupid gimmicks to make things interesting!

Sure, but one of them is ahead and has a shot at the title.

Many teams have had a “let their drivers drive” policy in the first half of the season in the past.

But once one driver pulls ahead he gets the #1 treatment - at least for the rest of the season.

This is not about Oscar’s or Lando’s feelings.

This is about winning the championship you are competing in.
They're in a closer fight in the constructors, with Red Bull and Ferrari, think they're pretty focused on winning that. If Verstappen was leading the race then yes, maybe, but he wasn't so the gain isn't outweighed by the risk or the constructors.

View attachment 1385780

With 2 more points Kmag should receive a race ban exceeding his allowed penalty points. Bearman in the Haas at Baku?
Yeah in theory that's a race ban and Bearman in the seat, but it's the FIA so let's see.

Wouldn't shock me given Bearmans F2 position if he jumped in the Haas and never gave it back.

They're in a closer fight in the constructors, with Red Bull and Ferrari, think they're pretty focused on winning that. If Verstappen was leading the race then yes, maybe, but he wasn't so the gain isn't outweighed by the risk or the constructors.

Again. Swapping them on the straight yields the exact same amount of constructors points.

But not without risk, simply isn't worth it for 2 points that he hasn't earned.

100% without risk. Slow down on the straight and let your teammate pass. They have don’t it before.

Last edited:
100% without risk. Slow don’t on the straight and let your teammate pass. They have don’t it before.
You can't guarantee zero risk. It also was pointless anyway hence why they didn't bother so it's a non argument anyway.

Again. Swapping them on the straight yields the exact same amount of constructors points.
The alternative you're referring to only benefits Lando closing the gap to Max from 62 points as it now stands, to 60 points b/c it means Oscar has to slow down from Charles. But, with the strategy they finished with taking a gamble on Charles' tires not lasting, they kept the chance that not only does McLaren close the gap to Red Bull even more, but Lando would also benefit in his WDC hopes.

There's 8 rounds left, if Norris wants to make a run, he's got to put himself in a position where the team must prioritize him. Letting Oscar pass & stay ahead set the tone for McLaren to prioritize him instead.

Last edited:
There's 8 rounds left, if Norris wants to make a run, he's got to put himself in a position where the team must prioritize him.

I’d argue he already is in that position.

He’s 43 points ahead of Oscar and 63 behind Max. 🤷‍♂️

You don’t win championships like this. You just don’t.

I’m sorry, but if McLaren end up losing the drivers championship by points Oscar took from Lando in the second half of the season they will look like idiots.

And no, the constructors title will not make up for that.

Back