Gran Turismo 7 takes center stage in an all-new State of Play, arriving Wednesday at 2pm Pacific:

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 1,381 comments
Which, to me, just shows that there’s something fundamentally wrong in the world.
Not really as...
I’m a Swede, and I can’t think of a manufacturer that I would be less excited about than Koenigsegg, but kids today think anything with much horsepower is cool it seems. I’d rather have a two stroke SAAB.
...It's a subjective preference. Both positions are equally wrong, right, and valid.

Kids have always been that way. What posters did you have on your bedroom walls as a kid, SAAB 900 and Toyota Corrola or Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari F40?
I guess you’re right. Well, I was never one of those kids. That’s not to say I don’t like super cars though, but only a certain kind. To give you an idea, I do like the Ferrari F40, but I’m not a fan of the Bugatti EB110 or the Jaguar XJ220. A present day example would be that I like the GMA T.50, but I’m not a fan of whatever Koenigsegg or Bugatti comes up with.

Last edited:

Attachments

• BingoGT7.png
    BingoGT7.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 14
Which, to me, just shows that there’s something fundamentally wrong in the world.

I’m a Swede, and I can’t think of a manufacturer that I would be less excited about than Koenigsegg, but kids today think anything with much horsepower is cool it seems. I’d rather have a two stroke SAAB.
It’s kinda subjective at the end of the day though dude

Plus GT is like the only big racing game that still doesn’t have Koenigsegg at this point. I get why they wouldn’t introduce them into GT Sport with its initial focus on GT racing but the inclusion of their cars feels kinda overdue now

I just want Lotus! Is that so much to ask? They have been completely absent since Geely bought them, so they must be somewhat hostile.

I just want Lotus! Is that so much to ask? They have been completely absent since Geely bought them, so they must be somewhat hostile.
More likely expensive, more than Sony/PD want to pay anyway, as other titles have featured Lotus since the Geely purchase.

It's nothing to do with Geely (or rather ZHG; Geely is a brand just like Lotus and Volvo, it's Zhejiang Geely Holdings that bought it). It's a contract dispute due to a rolling reduction in payout value over time and probably the year's delay on GTS.

More likely expensive, more than Sony/PD want to pay anyway, as other titles have featured Lotus since the Geely purchase.
That's more or less what I meant by hostile. It could be that it's cost or a relationship breakdown or image thing that Geely won't budge on. Either way I am hopeful.

It's nothing to do with Geely (or rather ZHG; Geely is a brand just like Lotus and Volvo, it's Zhejiang Geely Holdings that bought it). It's a contract dispute due to a rolling reduction in payout value over time and probably the year's delay on GTS.
Well that's vaguely to do with Geely (Holdings) since they own the company, but you're saying the contract dispute was happening regardless of whether Lotus was owned by them or not? Is there an article on the subject or is this the scuttlebutt?

That's more or less what I meant by hostile. It could be that it's cost or a relationship breakdown or image thing that Geely won't budge on. Either way I am hopeful.
I just don’t get it like how is putting your car in a video game hurting your company or costing your company money? I am truly confused!

Well that's vaguely to do with Geely (Holdings) since they own the company...
... but Lotus still controls its own PR and marketing. As do Volvo, Polestar, and LTI. I've worked with them all - and ZHG for that matter!
but you're saying the contract dispute was happening regardless of whether Lotus was owned by them or not?
Yes. In essence Lotus and PD (maaaaaaaaaaybe Sony; the precise nature of who agrees licensing contracts is a bit opaque) agreed a contact that would see Lotus paid a certain amount annually for inclusion in GT Sport, and the value dropped each year - rather than being a big fat lump sum.

UK car manufacturer PRs speak regularly - in fact the pool of PR staff seems to rotate frighteningly fast, to the point you'll speak to the same person at three different manufacturers in two years, but they also meet and compare notes on various things. Including which journo has crashed what...

Anyway, I spoke to a Lotus representative at an event in summer 2018 about the subject, and they related to me that Lotus found out it was being paid less for its cars than a brand it considered a peer was getting (the peer was not named; I guess it was McLaren, which is the only vaguely comparable brand).

I've never had the next bit confirmed, but the year's delay on GT Sport likely that Lotus got less money (game wasn't out yet, so no money; a year ticked off, so the money reduced and the first payment was less). Another alternative is that, with the year's delay, the other manufacturer had agreed a more recent and more highly valued contract. They're not mutually exclusive either, of course.

Is there an article on the subject or is this the scuttlebutt?

I just don’t get it like how is putting your car in a video game hurting your company or costing your company money? I am truly confused!
From what I remember the amount PD were paying was less then it was paying everyone else. Lotus were not happy, They were still talking, in 2019

Attachments

• lotus.PNG
    lotus.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 13
... but Lotus still controls its own PR and marketing. As do Volvo, Polestar, and LTI. I've worked with them all - and ZHG for that matter!

Yes. In essence Lotus and PD (maaaaaaaaaaybe Sony; the precise nature of who agrees licensing contracts is a bit opaque) agreed a contact that would see Lotus paid a certain amount annually for inclusion in GT Sport, and the value dropped each year - rather than being a big fat lump sum.

UK car manufacturer PRs speak regularly - in fact the pool of PR staff seems to rotate frighteningly fast, to the point you'll speak to the same person at three different manufacturers in two years, but they also meet and compare notes on various things. Including which journo has crashed what...

Anyway, I spoke to a Lotus representative at an event in summer 2018 about the subject, and they related to me that Lotus found out it was being paid less for its cars than a brand it considered a peer was getting (the peer was not named; I guess it was McLaren, which is the only vaguely comparable brand).

I've never had the next bit confirmed, but the year's delay on GT Sport likely that Lotus got less money (game wasn't out yet, so no money; a year ticked off, so the money reduced and the first payment was less). Another alternative is that, with the year's delay, the other manufacturer had agreed a more recent and more highly valued contract. They're not mutually exclusive either, of course.

A nicely comprehensive answer! All of that sounds pretty plausible. I guess the next question is whether the bridge is now burned for a while or not. Surely they'd want they're new Emira in the game to help with publicity.

A nicely comprehensive answer! All of that sounds pretty plausible. I guess the next question is whether the bridge is now burned for a while or not. Surely they'd want they're new Emira in the game to help with publicity.
It didn't seem all that unfriendly at the time, but it is so strange Lotus hasn't come back "soon" - as it said in 2019! - and is in all sorts of other crap.

Fun aside related to ZGH, I chatted with Polestar before COVID in something I did for ZGH (although I've never seen where the article got published; I got paid, so whatever) and it said it only appeared in NFS Heat because Ghost offered it the hero car status, and it wasn't interested in just being one brand among many as in Forza/GT/etc.

Is the Ferrari P4/5 Competizione owned by Glickenhaus? I wonder if that's the reason it hasn't been included yet, as James Glickenhaus did say something about Sony's offer not being enough for the license.

Kids have always been that way. What posters did you have on your bedroom walls as a kid, SAAB 900 and Toyota Corrola or Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari F40?
:lol: raises hand I did have the Saab 900 SPG on my wall. Also, a slant nose 911. A 1990 9000Turbo was my first car. :D No Lamborghinis and Ferraris. :)

Is the Ferrari P4/5 Competizione owned by Glickenhaus? I wonder if that's the reason it hasn't been included yet, as James Glickenhaus did say something about Sony's offer not being enough for the license.
The guy has pretty much made enemies of most publishers after posting what can only be described as a "trash-take" on racing games on Twitter. Would post it myself but he pretty much blocks anyone who ratios him.

You prob know this bit of trivia, but the Lotus Evora was in the GT Sport beta! It was subsequently removed before release.

The guy has pretty much made enemies of most publishers after posting what can only be described as a "trash-take" on racing games on Twitter. Would post it myself but he pretty much blocks anyone who ratios him.
I genuinely don't know what ratioing is, but I googled Glickenhaus racing games twitter, this was one of the first few results...

1643743321423.png

... IIRC Jim has posted here, and he's posted on other forums I frequent too, having seen the state of some of his posts it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he just didn't know how the twitter app worked! He's a year younger than my Dad... my Dad managed to start a group call with 10 people on Facebook messenger whilst trying to reply to a comment on Facebook.

Lot of the recent Glickenhaus controversy comes from him tweeting saying that everything except real cars on real tracks in a real race is meaningless BS - but he eventually clarified that he meant hypercar manufacturers that haven't ever entered a real race boasting about their laptimes (up to you to decide if that's the truth or a coverup for angering the entire simracing community).

Last edited:
Back