GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,041 comments
I'm not able to see any leaderboards for qualifying on Race B as I'm stuck at work for a bit yet, is anyone able to shed some light on what cars are attaining something close to the Mazda3? @GrumpyOldMan @TheNormsk @TechnoIsLove
I have done a 26.2 (iirc) in the McLaren, which is pretty decent. Took me about 25 minutes.
I'll be trying the SLS and some others tomorrow to see what's doable, I have a strange 'thing' with me not wanting to use the meta car lol.

I have done a 26.2 (iirc) in the McLaren, which is pretty decent. Took me about 25 minutes.
I'll be trying the SLS and some others tomorrow to see what's doable, I have a strange 'thing' with me not wanting to use the meta car lol.
I understand that "thing". I really prefer to not have the races be pretty much a one make, and in this case I also don't love racing FF cars.

Since my "home" track of Watkins Glen is in the Daily Races I'll be there this week. I just went with the BMW M3 Endurance as that was on the top of the leader-boards. I found the M3 really easy to drive and I had no problems with it. I set a 1:45.5XX for now and look to improve that tomorrow.

I then did 3 of Race A as it's fun for me. I set a lazy qualifying time to be in the middle of the pack. I finish P2 in the first race, P10 in the second race after a visit with Barry R., and P3 in the final race. I doubt I'll do anymore this week, but I had to get a few in.

I'm not able to see any leaderboards for qualifying on Race B as I'm stuck at work for a bit yet, is anyone able to shed some light on what cars are attaining something close to the Mazda3? @GrumpyOldMan @TheNormsk @TechnoIsLove
The only thing I can do well in right now is the Mazda. And I'm not doing great in that. This track has always had nuances that I just don't understand at all. I look at what a leader does, with the same car and the same assists (none to speak of), and it just doesn't do the same thing when I do it.

For example:
1696900026499.png

The leaders are able to approach T4 in 4th, then downshift to 3rd with some minor braking, and flow smoothly around T4. I feel like I need to brake quite a bit more and downshift to 2nd before I barely make the corner and stay on the track.

When in a race, I'm always backing people up here, and it's 50/50 whether someone will just bump me off the track.

Race A

So I decided to hit race A for the first race of today, its Me and one other in the R32, A Bugatti, and the rest are Pagani’s. Race starts and it looks like everyone decides to use their nitrous, absolutely putting a good gap in the group leaving myself, the other R32 and one Pagani. Halfway down the first stretch 3 cars crash, our little 3 car train blows right through. We’re caught back up in the first turn, and there goes another Pagani.

Down the backstretch, its all about jockeying/draft bumping for position, and I end up last in the train of cars right before turn 3, pulling in on a fast draft. I knew I had a full bottle still, and I hit it right before the curve. I had this win, both cars ahead had zero in the tank, The other R32 is right there but Im pulling harder, taking 3rd, and thats when the 2nd place car hits 1st place causing me to hit 1st also RIGHT AT THE FINISH LINE! The collision gave me a 2 second penalty and I finished in 7th… 😂

TLDR: R32 Vs Pagani Field, came from the back of a fast paced field, almost winning, only for the leaders to crash in the last 500 feet and give me a penalty 😂

Last edited:
My DR decline has started!

After posting a good QT for race B I entered a race. Started Q4 and was doing well in 4th on lap 4 when braking into the corkscrew the car veered right into the gravel. There was wear on the tires but not much but I never experienced that reaction before.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 1.27.08 AM.png

And it just carried on even though I was steering left.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 1.28.16 AM.png

That dropped me to 8th. Then on the next lap it did it again. Exactly as before. That dropped me to 13th which is where I finished.

I mention this as this is the first time with the Mazda3 on racing softs with tire wear. I had no issues at all with QT with the car and for the first 3 laps the car was fine and composed. Then laps 4 and 5 it was a disaster into this braking zone. While the wear did not look much it may be just enough to unsettle this car.

While the damage was done, I broke earller and gentler for the last lap and that was okay. This was all with brake bias at +3.

I then did some more QT and then entered a race with BB at +4. My hope is that with more bias to the rear it should leave the front to not fight the steering and tire wear so much. That felt good in QT but I did not get to race. I would have been Q3 but the race never started and just exited out after 40 minutes on hold. My only glitch race of the day.

Last edited:
I honestly burst out laughing at this 😂 😂 Thanks for starting my morning so well :cheers:

@TheNormsk add me on my 2nd account too 😛

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-09 at 21.05.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-09 at 21.05.10.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

After posting a good QT for race B I entered a race. Started Q4 and was doing well in 4th on lap 4 when braking into the corkscrew the car veered right into the gravel. There was wear on the tires but not much but I never experienced that reaction before.

View attachment 1294009

View attachment 1294010

That dropped me to 8th. Then on the next lap it did it again. Exactly as before. That dropped me to 13th which is where I finished.

I mention this as this is the first time with the Mazda3 on racing softs with tire wear. I had no issues at all with QT with the car and for the first 3 laps the car was fine and composed. Then laps 4 and 5 it was a disaster into this braking zone. While the wear did not look much it may be just enough to unsettle this car.

While the damage was done, I broke earller and gentler for the last lap and that was okay. This was all with brake bias at +3.

I then did some more QT and then entered a race with BB at +4. My hope is that with more bias to the rear it should leave the front to not fight the steering and tire wear so much. That felt good in QT but I did not get to race. I would have been Q3 but the race never started and just existed out after 40 minutes on hold. My only glitch race of the day.

I think if you brake too late on that crest, the car gets light on the front and loses all grip, had it happen to me in the Swift. FF cars don't like it at all. Just got to brake a touch earlier to Pushto those front wheels I to the tarmac.

I managed to reach the 1:26 mark, barely, in the most unexpected of cars for me. I noticed when I hopped into it that the line of sight was great and, aided by AWD, I could get on the power much earlier than in a lot of other cars.

Attachments

• 1000014337.png
    1000014337.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 13
The massive use of RouteX will be perhaps the reason for not renewing my PSplus. A track that is not even suitable for 400 or 1000 meter tests, insists on appearing in daily races, to the detriment of others that are much more interesting. Another reason is the total absence of a rally, and the recent increase in the annual fee, ruined everything.

I think if you brake too late on that crest, the car gets light on the front and loses all grip, had it happen to me in the Swift. FF cars don't like it at all. Just got to brake a touch earlier to Pushto those front wheels I to the tarmac.
I'm not sure that is the case. I put too much effort into this but I compared my braking points from lap to lap.

DR B Brake comparison.jpg

The number is the pixel count in the image to my braking marker, the "3 line". In the first three laps I was braking closer to that line, in fact lap 2, my fastest lap was a lot closer. Then lap 4 the car veers right as it did on lap 5. There I was much further back but I was also in traffic there. Lap 6 was cautious and that seems like an eternity to brake.

Steering angle is very similar in each case as well though in lap 4 there was just a smidge right more bias. That may have been what it took though that does not explain lap 5. Looking at the replay it is still a weird one for me and it is frustrating as I would like to know the cause so it doesn't happen again. I still think it may be related to tire wear. The car may just be very sensitive as wear was not a factor last week.

I'm curious if others find wear to be a handling issue with the Mazda?
I managed to reach the 1:26 mark, barely, in the most unexpected of cars for me. I noticed when I hopped into it that the line of sight was great and, aided by AWD, I could get on the power much earlier than in a lot of other cars.
Well done on the time. I've known this car to be very quick in the right hands but I have not figured out how to extract the best from it yet however I have improved a lot since the last time I tried to drive it. Any tips?

I'm not sure that is the case. I put too much effort into this but I compared my braking points from lap to lap.

View attachment 1294089

The number is the pixel count in the image to my braking marker, the "3 line". In the first three laps I was braking closer to that line, in fact lap 2, my fastest lap was a lot closer. Then lap 4 the car veers right as it did on lap 5. There I was much further back but I was also in traffic there. Lap 6 was cautious and that seems like an eternity to brake.

Steering angle is very similar in each case as well though in lap 4 there was just a smidge right more bias. That may have been what it took though that does not explain lap 5. Looking at the replay it is still a weird one for me and it is frustrating as I would like to know the cause so it doesn't happen again. I still think it may be related to tire wear. The car may just be very sensitive as wear was not a factor last week.

Well done on the time. I've known this car to be very quick in the right hands but I have not figured out how to extract the best from it yet however I have improved a lot since the last time I tried to drive it. Any tips?
Strange. It happened to me around lap 4 I think but don't have a replay. Was very weird when it happened, felt I did everything the same. But I was also in traffic at the time. Just completely veered off into the wall to the right, even though full lock left. Tidgney had mentioned about it in his weekly lap guide. Take a look at that see if that helps? Also the Ferrari and other MR cars can get very weird in that corkscrew.

Got Forza today, it's actual comical how much better their online system is than Sport Mode. It feels like they went "Right, why is Sport Mode bad?" and then they proceeded to not do the things that make it bad.

There's car variety, rotating tracks, event variety, low downtime between races, attached qualifying and proper practice sessions. I can literally complete a race, get a menu that asks me if I want to queue for the next race (on a new track!) and I will have about 5 minutes before the race starts, in which I can set my qualifying lap for the starting grid.

In GT, that's 15 minutes of hotlapping by myself. In here, it's 3 laps of a qualifying shootout. It's amazing. PD need to learn from this.

View attachment 1294089

Where is the steering angle indicator?

Edit: found it but it blends in to that bonnet.

You are different parts of the track, I don't think it's a braking marker thing I think it's a positional thing.

The steering angles are similar but the car is left and right of the tire marks meaning the angle over the camber change is fractionally different?

Maybe? I don't know to be honest

Last edited:
Where is the steering angle indicator?

Edit: found it but it blends in to that bonnet.

You are different parts of the track, I don't think it's a braking marker thing I think it's a positional thing.

The steering angles are similar but the car is left and right of the tire marks meaning the angle over the camber change is fractionally different?

Maybe? I don't know to be honest
The forum recompression of the image made it hard to see. I added indication to the image below.
DR B Brake comparison.jpg

I also posted my full race recording as well, though YT is being slow to process so it still may be 45 minutes before you get 4K.

The pertinent parts are lap 4 and 5. At the time, the lap 4 incident did not look bad on video but I could feel the wheel loaded and no matter what I did it just steered off to the right. Rewatching I see the ABS doing its thing but I wonder, in hindsight, if letting off the brakes would have helped with correction? The issue there is that braking is pretty much on the limit anyway so letting off would only just put me in the gravel anyway.

I also reviewed the turn prior to see if there was any chance of dirty tires affecting this? Nope. So still not sure what. I did get hit and do a full sideways slide on lap 1 that caused me to lose 3rd place. Perhaps tat accelerated wear as well.

I think I just have to be hyper cautious with this combine in later laps. Still think this is a tire wear thing.

Last edited:

View attachment 1294009

View attachment 1294010

I then did some more QT and then entered a race with BB at +4. My hope is that with more bias to the rear it should leave the front to not fight the steering and tire wear so much. That felt good in QT but I did not get to race. I would have been Q3 but the race never started and jus
exited out after 40 minutes on hold. My only glitch race of the day.
Hmmm, I always wondered if it was a brake locking thing or my controller was giving up. Guess my controller ok

The forum recompression of the image made it hard to see. I added indication to the image below.
View attachment 1294124

I also posted my full race recording as well, though YT is being slow to process so it still may be 45 minutes before you get 4K.

The pertinent parts are lap 4 and 5. At the time, the lap 4 incident did not look bad on video but I could feel the wheel loaded and no matter what I did it just steered off to the right. Rewatching I see the ABS doing its thing but I wonder, in hindsight, if letting off the brakes would have helped with correction? The issue there is that braking is pretty much on the limit anyway so letting off would only just put me in the gravel anyway.

I also reviewed the turn prior to see if there was any chance of dirty tires affecting this? Nope. So still not sure what.

I think I just have to be hyper cautious with this combine in later laps. Still think this is a tire wear thing.

100% lifting off the brakes would have helped.

A few reasons and I don't know if they directly contribute to the issue you experienced are:

- LSDs take time to work, especially in front wheel drive cars and the camber change doesn't help.

- rear brake bias does help flatten braking profile but at the cost of ultimate braking force (it's why the big discs and pistons are up front)

- I personally think actually running a slightly forward brake bias is better for gentle high speed turns and the type of hair pins here as you are largely trying to tuck the front end in, which dragging the back doesn't do. And they are very much mostly partial pressure zones that stay in the FWD envelope and if you brake early and get the turn in won't suffer from the understeer.

I genuinely believe the single most thing that has made me faster is coming off the brakes earlier. Even in those dive bomb situations brake hard come off them and turn runs me wide yes but still on the alternative line or still in the race.

What I do for the corkscrew is 2 braking zones the one at the marker, hard straight line but fractionally lift at the crest to let the car fall closer to the road and then squeeze hard again until I'm at roughly 55mph to cut the first apex.

I think I learned from last week the key to controlling the Mazdas diff is to drive round the road surface changes

Edit: abs will have a problem if your front wheels go airborne as it doesn't know the landing speed so the lock up will happen much quicker vs full contact lock up. Similar to planes landing gear puffing smoke because of the rotational differential your caliper would have stopped the wheel rotating.

This is all maybe what if stuff though. Or conjecture to be proper :)

Edit 2:

If you aren't asking the front wheels to brake hard, turn and put power down at the same time then it is a strategy to drive like the front is pulling the rear round rather than trying to make it drive like a 4wd car imo

Last edited:
100% lifting off the brakes would have helped.

A few reasons and I don't know if they directly contribute to the issue you experienced are:

- LSDs take time to work, especially in front wheel drive cars and the camber change doesn't help.

- rear brake bias does help flatten braking profile but at the cost of ultimate braking force (it's why the big discs and pistons are up front)

- I personally think actually running a slightly forward brake bias is better for gentle high speed turns and the type of hair pins here as you are largely trying to tuck the front end in, which dragging the back doesn't do. And they are very much mostly partial pressure zones that stay in the FWD envelope and if you brake early and get the turn in won't suffer from the understeer.

I genuinely believe the single most thing that has made me faster is coming off the brakes earlier. Even in those dive bomb situations brake hard come off them and turn runs me wide yes but still on the alternative line or still in the race.

What I do for the corkscrew is 2 braking zones the one at the marker, hard straight line but fractionally lift at the crest to let the car fall closer to the road and then squeeze hard again until I'm at roughly 55mph to cut the first apex.

I think I learned from last week the key to controlling the Mazdas diff is to drive round the road surface changes

Edit: abs will have a problem if your front wheels go airborne as it doesn't know the landing speed so the lock up will happen much quicker vs full contact lock up. Similar to planes landing gear puffing smoke because of the rotational differential your caliper would have stopped the wheel rotating.

This is all maybe what if stuff though. Or conjecture to be proper :)
This is great advice. I would say my greatest gain in performance was with my new pedals and the additional brake control that gave me. That changed the way I brake and it is till evolving. I agree in that I saw good gains in braking earlier and then easing/coming off sooner for control and ultimate speed through the corner. I also use a secondary brake if needed but that is often more the case of turn 1 when I am not 100% sure my braking point from start position. I often forget to continue to do that through the race and tend to focus on QT brake points that don't always work because of traffic and fuel weight.

After running the 3 all week with BB+3 for good results I tended to defer to that. You may be right in that this is not the track for that even though it works for QT. I'll try again at 0 to perhaps -1.

👍

Last edited:
This is great advice. I would say my greatest gain in performance was with my new pedals and the additional brake control that gave me. That changed the way I brake and it is till evolving. I agree in that I saw good gains in braking earlier and then easing/coming off sooner for control and ultimate speed through the corner. I also use a secondary brake if needed but that is often more the case of turn 1 when I am not 100% sure my braking point from start position. I often forget to continue to do that through the race and tend to focus on QT brake points that don't always work because of traffic and fuel weight.

After running the 3 all week with BB+3 for good results I tended to defer to that. You may be right in that this is not the track for that even though it works for QT. I'll try again at 0 to perhaps -1.

👍
Does it work for QT? Are you number one?

Genuinely try it, but remember subtly you are braking to dive the nose hard forcing the turning tires in so short and smooth or hard at the hairpins but drive drive drive out of the corners. I think coasting is faster to but it's all driving style stuff

Does it work for QT? Are you number one?
Rub salt in the wounds why don't you? No, not number one but I am just a humble pleb. Good for me and faster than some of the fast crowd here, but not Nebu level. It'll be interesting to see what happens to QT as I lap with different BB settings. I'm currently 1:27.104. Hopefully I'll get into the 1:26 zone next run.

Rub salt in the wounds why don't you? No, not number one but I am just a humble pleb. Good for me and faster than some of the fast crowd here, but not Nebu level. It'll be interesting to see what happens to QT as I lap with different BB settings. I'm currently 1:27.104. Hopefully I'll get into the 1:26 zone next run.
Im teasing mate.

Unfortunately not. I've only done about 4 laps in each car I've tried so far, FR layout isn't working for me on this track like last time, I tried the Vette, Viper and Supra.

Mid-engine cars were a bit better but I still wasn't as consistent with them as when I tried a couple of all-wheel drive cars.

The first one I did was the Lamborghini Huracan, and I'll give that one another go after settling in with the Evo because I've probably picked up a bit of pace just from the repetition of all the cars I've been trying.

Before I get into any racing yet today, I'll probably do some more qualifying while trying out the GTR and perhaps the WRX. I think all-wheel drive is the way to go for me on this one.

Last edited:
I got my qualifying time down to a 1:45.2XX at Watkins Glen which helped my grid position by a bit. I know I have a 1:44 in me, just need to get there.

My first race put me in P9. I thought I would be higher honestly, but nope. I started on the hard tires and had some great side by side racing in the opening few laps. Some contact, but it would be fine in any racing series so no big deal. I pit the end of lap 4, but cross the pit line. The driver in front of me was way slower than I anticipated and I had to move out of the way as not to take them out. I went in the pit lane way too fast as I forgot you need to enter way slower than I was. I tried to get around them on pit exit, but crossed the line again. So, a 6 second penalty for my troubles. In the end I finish P10. Not the best result, but the battles I had were fantastic so that made up for it.

Race 2 started weird as it froze as the track loaded, and 2 cars didn't take off when the race stated. So, there were 2 stationary cars on the exit of turn 10 until they quit/disconnected. One of the stuck drivers said they were still on the "warm up" screen so who knows what PD did to make that happen. I started on the soft tires by accident so off I went. I was doing great until on got on the hard tires while everyone was on the soft tires who blew by me. I just got out of the way and finish P11.

I didn't race at all last week. I've finished 2 Race Bs today, and 2 have been stuck on the loading screen for quite some time with no way to back out except for closing the game. I understand everyone's frustrations now.

I suppose I'll just treat it as a time trial and race everyone's qualifying times. Anyone can feel free to add me on PSN, rde1138.

Last edited:
Since my "home" track of Watkins Glen is in the Daily Races I'll be there this week. I just went with the BMW M3 Endurance as that was on the top of the leader-boards. I found the M3 really easy to drive and I had no problems with it. I set a 1:45.5XX for now and look to improve that tomorrow.

I then did 3 of Race A as it's fun for me. I set a lazy qualifying time to be in the middle of the pack. I finish P2 in the first race, P10 in the second race after a visit with Barry R., and P3 in the final race. I doubt I'll do anymore this week, but I had to get a few in.
Its actually the m6 not the m3. I actually gave the m3 a try and it is awfully slow around WG. Love the sound and the exhaust crackles though.
I am now set on the m6 but the thing feels like a boat and ir tries to kill you out of slow corners. Have to either shift up a gear on exit or be extra careful with the throttle. But it is the Meta around WG. I suppose the genesis should be quite strong here too. Will definitely give it a go.

Welcome to the club! Lost 5 points because I finished DFL in my first and only race this week.
So, I finished my second race just now. Start P11. Well, actually I was initially seeded P11. By the time the race started, I was P2 out of a field of... 2. "Captain Slowly" was P1, which is where he was in the full field. I was just happy not to get lapped.

So in the first race I lost 5%. I gained 6% here. And trust me when I tell you that I totally and completely suck at this track (so far, anyway).

The strangeness continues...

Back