GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,058 comments
It's very interesting to see how quiet this thread has been this week.

Edit: I think personally for the daily B racers this one is a tough combo and coupled with the wait it out dr inflation of last week has made people reluctant to race.

Pure speculation but I find it interesting.

Edit2: spelling

I have raced more this week than for a very long time. And enjoyed it very much. Haven't written much in here about it though.

I just don't understand how thirsty people are in the daily races.

I've done nearly 4000 of them in GT 7 and still don't get why people can't brake?

In fact I would go as far as to say the people I play against online drive worse than the AI and exhibit the same behaviour as the AI like turning in to people running them wide, not conceding positions.

Its just really weird to watch standards fall so low

Since PD does absolutely nothing to improve the driving standards the games, those who see this solely as a computer game where you do anything allowed by the game.to win, degrades the people who see it as a racing simulation so they sink to the games levels.
Unfortunately that makes.it worse for everyone.

Since.PD obviously have no idea how to make a penalty system work they should just penalise every contact based on force and penalise all that are in contact. Sure, we would get a lot of undeserved penalties but the dirty drivers would get.more and fall down into a lower SR grade.so the rest of us can race in peace

Last edited:
I have raced more this week than for a very long time. And enjoyed it very much. Haven't written much in here about it though.

Since PD does absolutely nothing to improve the driving standards the games, those who see this solely as a computer game where you do anything allowed by the game.to win, degrades the people who see it as a racing simulation so they sink to the games levels.
Unfortunately that makes.it worse for everyone.

Since.PD obviously have no idea how to make a penalty system work they should just penalise every contact based on force and penalise all that are in contact. Sure, we would get a lot of undeserved penalties but the dirty drivers would get.more and fall down into a lower SR grade.so the rest of us can race in peace
I think there was a time that the penalties were almost perfect in GT Sport.
Or maybe I just imagined it...Utopia.

There where a couple of times they where. At release and then again about 2 years in
But penalties ultimately penalise what they teach the offline players to play like.

Here is the rub, people can race and accept where they finish. Try hard or just suck it up.

The whole DR thing shapes people's behaviour by its nature as it incentivises being higher up, so people do that and they probably don't race as much as I do.

SR should be a thing, but conversely a grinded top whatever TT isn't the way to do this.

The amount of people that sit on pole with no lap 1 or race pace is tragic, then you have P2-6 trying to win the first corner.

I dunno if it's a penalty issue more a mindset issue quite frankly.

But penalties ultimately penalise what they teach the offline players to play like.

Here is the rub, people can race and accept where they finish. Try hard or just suck it up.

The whole DR thing shapes people's behaviour by its nature as it incentivises being higher up, so people do that and they probably don't race as much as I do.

SR should be a thing, but conversely a grinded top whatever TT isn't the way to do this.

The amount of people that sit on pole with no lap 1 or race pace is tragic, then you have P2-6 trying to win the first corner.

I dunno if it's a penalty issue more a mindset issue quite frankly.
I agree on that but I don't know how to teach the proper mindset. I do know that "don't make yourself look bad" has no affect what so ever.
So a combination of penalties and higher payouts based on SR might work.

I agree on that but I don't know how to teach the proper mindset. I do know that "don't make yourself look bad" has no affect what so ever.
So a combination of penalties and higher payouts based on SR might work.
So here is a funny thing, I can put top 100 times mostly in anti meta. Veyron at Fuji.

I've briefly held A and A+ ratings and they mean absolutely sweet FA.

I like racing, I don't really enjoy the fast stuff but racing is racing.

I suspect the single make touring car stuff early in the release played to my learning curve. This fascination with meta GT3 cars and to a degree GR4 cars rubbish if I'm honest. Oh a gr2 car or a gr1 but there is weather. Its a bit bit meh.

… but conversely a grinded top whatever TT isn't the way to do this.

As one who might fall into this statement I will say that part of the issue is that being able to grind a QT chasing a ghost who is faster than you is very different than QT with no rabbit in front. I’m definitely slower if I try to qualify without a ghost.

PD could resolve this by forcing a 5 minute qualifier be before the race while not allowing ghosts. That way the starting grid would be reflective of the current drivers/cars performance.

Edit:
Had planned to race this evening some more but I just crushed one of my fingers doing landscaping work which hurts like heck. So probably not using my wheel for a few days….

Last edited:
As one who might fall into this statement I will say that part of the issue is that being able to grind a QT chasing a ghost who is faster than you is very different than QT with no rabbit in front. I’m definitely slower if I try to qualify without a ghost.

PD could resolve this by forcing a 5 minute qualifier be before the race while not allowing ghosts. That way the starting grid would be reflective of the current drivers/cars performance.
I think a pre race QT is a must in the modern world.

You are 100% right and it balances nicely as good days, or dialling in over a couple of races really opens the result up.

A link to a post I did some time ago in GT Sport forums. Pretty sure that GT7 has found itself exactly in the same place:

Post in thread 'PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-system-is-still-a-piece-of.378725/post-13496066
I mean Sport Mode in GT7 is like 99.9% identical to how it was in GT Sport and anything different is done worse. So, not much of a surprise the same criticisms apply.

I've felt no reason to go back to Sport Mode with the new Forza having such a good online system, and unless PD overhaul Sport in its entirety, I see no reason this will ever change.

Edit:
Had planned to race this evening some more but I just crushed one of my fingers doing landscaping work which hurts like heck. So probably not using my wheel for a few days….

I think a pre race QT is a must in the modern world.

You are 100% right and it balances nicely as good days, or dialling in over a couple of races really opens the result up.
I have said this before, but the limited qualification mechanic is already right there in the game for PD to implement. If you just used the best time from the immediate pre-race FP session as the Q time then you get a much better version where you're not repeatedly dealing with unicorn q laps from people who can't replicate that pace. It also means you can set q times sometimes and still choose to run any race from the back.

It's so easy to do. Why not test it on race A or B for a couple of weeks and see how it goes?

Man, not only did PD copy the daily but they also removed the cool time of day settings they used for it last time.
Last time around it ended on a beautiful sunset that lit up the clouds orange, it was awesome. Now it's just generic "Sunny Afternoon" the whole race.
Bummer.

1698055384083.png

1698055396414.png

Question: Per the article above for race B and C, "Settings: Partially Allowed – Brake Balance". Does this mean suspension tuning is disabled?

Question: Per the article above for race B and C, "Settings: Partially Allowed – Brake Balance". Does this mean suspension tuning is disabled?
Yup, just BB this week. If suspension tuning was allowed I'd flag it in the overview and say specifically what's allowed in the text.

Probably mistake from last week under race A in the news (Power, Tires, Settings & possibly start Type?).

Race A​

• Track: Alsace – Test Course Reverse, 5 laps
  • Car: Volkswagen Sambabus Typ-2 ’63 – Garage/Rental Car
  • Power/Weight/PP Limit: 600PP
  • Tires: Sports Soft
  • Settings: Adjustable
  • Start Type: Grid Start with False Start Check
  • Fuel use: 1x
  • Tire use: 1x

I have said this before, but the limited qualification mechanic is already right there in the game for PD to implement. If you just used the best time from the immediate pre-race FP session as the Q time then you get a much better version where you're not repeatedly dealing with unicorn q laps from people who can't replicate that pace. It also means you can set q times sometimes and still choose to run any race from the back.

It's so easy to do. Why not test it on race A or B for a couple of weeks and see how it goes?
I'm not really seeing what you people are. At all. Moreso the opposite if something, drivers with really fast quali laps when they appear usually breeze away towards a lonely and easy victory. Not always but mostly.

I'm not really seeing what you people are. At all. Moreso the opposite if something, drivers with really fast quali laps when they appear usually breeze away towards a lonely and easy victory. Not always but mostly.
The higher up in ranking the more that is true. In C and B, at least low B it's much more common that the polesitter is either lights to flag or if makes a mistake have no race craft in traffic. Can only run fast on the Q line.

This weeks guide for you! Not a huge fan of this week just because it's a repeat week and I think that they are 3 combos that most are not overly fond of. I do like Lago Maggiore Reverse as it's one of my better tracks, but if people don't like it, it's a choice of a Samba Bus or Hard tyres and it's not the best. Feel like mediums for B would have been better.

I'm interested to see to what extent wheel users can gain a tyre management advantage in Race C. If the difference can be mitigated by decent pit strategy then it could be a doozy of a race.

Edit: decent pit strategy or car choice

Last edited:
Last week was interesting for me, DR-wise. Started DR A at 16%, finished DR A at 13%. This is the longest I've managed to stay in DR A.

1698070625401-png.1297450

I suspect this week will end that streak, if my past performance at Interlagos is any indication.

I wish we could have Interlagos on soft tires. That would be fun.

Attachments

• 1698070625401.png
    1698070625401.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 31
The higher up in ranking the more that is true. In C and B, at least low B it's much more common that the polesitter is either lights to flag or if makes a mistake have no race craft in traffic. Can only run fast on the Q line.
And this is why I run a TON of practice laps before I go racing. Sure, they're technically 'qualifiers' but that's not what I'm there for. RA was a great case-in-point. My QT was nothing to write home about (1:18.4xx) but I was still placed P3 - P12 to start (low-A/S). The first couple of races made it plainly obvious that I was meh qualifying there, but even worse racing there. Went back, ran more laps, figured-out what it was like to drive on the rest of the track, not just the racing line, and was FAR less irritating to others.

In the end, though, I would much rather qualify in the moment versus counting on something I did two days ago when I was exhibiting rare, alien-like focus. While I could pretend I'm that consistent, I'm not. And if I'm not, that means I'm in the way. I think it would make for better racing. 👍

:cheers:

Last week was interesting for me, DR-wise. Started DR A at 16%, finished DR A at 13%. This is the longest I've managed to stay in DR A.

I suspect this week will end that streak, if my past performance at Interlagos is any indication.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do get to see your DR percentage. I know we get the progress bar, but how do you see the exact percentage?

In the end, though, I would much rather qualify in the moment versus counting on something I did two days ago when I was exhibiting rare, alien-like focus. While I could pretend I'm that consistent, I'm not. And if I'm not, that means I'm in the way. I think it would make for better racing. 👍

:cheers:

Sure, the idea of on-the-fly quali laps before races really does make you think how they could shake up the online ecosystem!

We already have fuel/tyres, weather & tuning options as variables to think about. Having certain races which feature quali laps would shift the demographic in another different way, rewarding people who are able to lap well consistently and also whilst under a little pressure.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do get to see your DR percentage. I know we get the progress bar, but how do you see the exact percentage?
Not a stupid question. Use something like kudosprime.com, or my program GranTracker, which as a dedicated thread here. Whichever you use, the process of determining the percent is the same: Take a screenshot of your Profile page, and the website or program examines the progress bar in the screenshot pixel-by-pixel to take an educated guess at the percent.

It sure would be easier if PD provided an interface to allow us to find this information from the game itself, but alas, they haven't done that.

Last edited:

Just curious where you find the charts/data

Thanks

I now see your earlier reasponse thanks

I have to say I'm so underwhelmed this week with the races.

It's going to be the first week in a very long time (3,700 online races) that I'm not going to even try.

Such a shame that with all the parameters they have they stick to repeating events and removing some of the best ones like single make Cup sequence races in A.

An oval with a meta car each time
A 33hp meme race again etc

Why don't they just add ranked and unranked versions of ABC and actually focus on racing that resembles the real world rather than show me a video on sportsmanship of real cars racing and then drop another awful A, whilst also repeating B and C.

I'm a staunch fan of this game and franchise but even for me it's starting to wear thin now.

well dang. I like the group C combo this week and might be competitive. Started a race this afternoon in Q3, but several well known A+ drivers lurking in the back without qualifying. Sure enough, they pass by the time I take my pit. No problem, I expected that. Still running in the top half.

What I didn't expect was my controller suddenly deciding to exhibit stick-drift. I steered (or rather didn't steer) directly into the wall before the hairpin. Lock the children up, foul words were uttered at loud volume. Luckily I didn't hit another driver, just the wall.

I have the Edge which has replaceable components, a stick is 20$. I'll dig out the original, but it was showing some signs of drift as well, iirc. Might have to sit out racing a bit. But I am really looking forward to the manu race at GV this weekend. We'll see if I can get it fixed before then. (Why couldn't it have been the nations's ssrx race this week?! Really don't care if I miss that one.)

Back