GTAV - General Off Road Discussion | LS 4x4 Crew

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 3,098 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best off-roader for scaling steep ascents?

I thinks its arguable, depending on driving style and steadiness, between the Rebel, Dubsta, and Baller. Those 3 seem to get the most hype, anyways. I like the Rebel best for climbing.

I thinks its arguable, depending on driving style and steadiness, between the Rebel, Dubsta, and Baller. Those 3 seem to get the most hype, anyways. I like the Rebel best for climbing.

In "crawling mode" the Baller, Off Road Mesa and BeeJay do quite well. Haven't tested many others. Really depends on the difficulty of the trail.

Anyone know what vehicles cause the Jeep Grand Cherokee to spawn and where they spawn the most?

Took me a while but I got one and it climbs pretty well, true 4wd system aswell.

0_0.jpg

The coquette climbs good when you bomb everything at high speeds and it can take a beating LOL
0_0.jpg

Then it wouldn't start so I used a jerry can.
0_0.jpg

The Cherokee sucks. :P

Seriously, the ground clearance is crap. It was bumping and scraping over the smallest bumps. Needsless to say it got a bad review from me. (Will post them later in the week)

dmqqso.jpg

This thing is a BEAST offroad! Lots of ground clearance and very good at slow rock climbing or vertical climbing.

dp75aw.jpg

All the cars in my garage are AWD besides 1 car. I am saving 1 more space for the Corquette or Bugatti.

34445jb.jpg

The orange truck is also very good offroad.

2qxm9w9.jpg

A couple of my other offroad / rally vehicles.

Last edited:

Approach angle is great, departure is terrible. It climbs nice, but the rear bumper gets hung up on everything.

Edit: This reminds me. If you like using the BeeJay, don't put the winch on the front, it takes away from your approach.

What? I used it for 2 hours straight yesterday rock climbing and hill climbing. I was pretty sure it was 4x4. If its only rwd then its REALLY dang amazing for rwd. I will check it out again tonight.

Last edited:
This seems an appropriate place to ask, but has anyone found a noticeable change in handling by changing the suspension? I had a go in a friends Mesa with lowered suspension and it felt noticeably stiffer to my own on stocks. Not massively so but enough to make me get confused as to whether it was placebo or real.

I then tried a Futo on-road stock V race suspension and found similar results. Again not a huge difference but I found myself less likely to be spat into a big slide at speed on the curves around Vinewood Hills. Am I going mad or is there actually any change?

What? I used it for 2 hours straight yesterday rock climbing and hill climbing. I was pretty sure it was 4x4. If its only rwd then its REALLY dang amazing for rwd. I will check it out again tonight.

I checked last night, definitely RWD. Otherwise I would have kept it, but your looks pretty awesome.

I checked last night, definitely RWD. Otherwise I would have kept it, but your looks pretty awesome.
Thanks and dang, it sure is amazing offroad for only being RWD. I honestly couldn't tell. Thought for sure it was AWD the way it climbed hills and rocks.

I found a funny bug with that truck. If you put a friend in the back and have them crouch down (click left analog stick), they don't fall out unless you roll the truck upside down. :lol: So it can hold up to at least 4 players. Maybe more.

This seems an appropriate place to ask, but has anyone found a noticeable change in handling by changing the suspension? I had a go in a friends Mesa with lowered suspension and it felt noticeably stiffer to my own on stocks. Not massively so but enough to make me get confused as to whether it was placebo or real.

I then tried a Futo on-road stock V race suspension and found similar results. Again not a huge difference but I found myself less likely to be spat into a big slide at speed on the curves around Vinewood Hills. Am I going mad or is there actually any change?

Since this is the off road thread mainly dealing in 4x4 trucks and SUV's, I've never installed suspension on them as lowering them for off road use is a no-no. :P

Exactly. If anything we wish we could raise our offroad vehicles.

With that said, does anyone think they will be adding monster trucks with a future DLC? Those were in San Andreas but not in GTA5. My guess is they might come later. But obviously not for free. If they do add a monster truck lets hope it is truly 4x4.

They've said all DLC will be free, so shouldn't cost anything. But at this point I just want better 4WD damnit! :P

Since this is the off road thread mainly dealing in 4x4 trucks and SUV's, I've never installed suspension on them as lowering them for off road use is a no-no. :P

I have the same philosophy on my Mesa, I spend most of my downtime off-road in the thing when not on jobs with friends. I thought people would have tried the suspensions as it's a key component, depending what sort of off-roading you do a slightly stiffer, faster reacting, suspension set up might be desirable.

Maybe for Rally cars, I think there's a Rally thread in here somewhere. I prefer to keep the stock suspension (would actually prefer a lift kit) for most Trucks and SUV's.

XS
I've been trying to figure that out too. From what I've seen experimenting with the Rancher, off road tires only work well literally off road. I mean no trails, nothing with hard ground. I was able to traverse any trail easier with SUV tires than stock or off road. What I would do is drive the Rancher up Chilliad, drive it back down, change the tires and go again. The Rancher seemed to pull up hills much easier with SUV tires. Off trail, like I said off road tires worked best. After finding this out I changed the tires on my Sandking to SUV tires and it does better on trails now too.

However, some tires that have big rims are fitted only to low profile tires. Wouldn't that cause some problems?

R1600Turbo
It's on my "to do" list.

These are the vehicles I have tested so far:

Where's the Baller?

I prefer the newer Baller, feels less bulky on the trail. It also resembles the new Grand Cherokee, which I am also a fan of. :D

Mudd
I prefer the newer Baller, feels less bulky on the trail. It also resembles the new Grand Cherokee, which I am also a fan of. :D

Not exactly the Grand Cherokee.

I'd say the Dodge Durango rather, which is the Bravado Gresley in the game. Too bad it's too hard to find that cool looking SUV.

Anyway, according to a wiki, the offroad performance of a Gresley is very good, even with it's lowered stance

Edit: After what seemed like an eternity, I finally found this one in Grand Señora Desert. :)

ba3ed64f7963e6ff59fd5e865c94f29f.jpg

Last edited:
I think that one was meant to only be 2WD for some reason. And the other Jeep (Cherokee) is horrible off road, just FYI. :lol:

Found both of these to be true. Did the wall test with the stock Mesa, 2WD. Had been working on a Seminole, still sucked with all the help I could give it. What a disappointment. Lost my character save... again. There goes hours of work and hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain. Got back to level 25, two car garage, and one Mesa Off-Road. This is the second time, thanks R*!

Last edited:
Not exactly the Grand Cherokee.

I'd say the Dodge Durango rather, which is the Bravado Gresley in the game. Too bad it's too hard to find that cool looking SUV.

Anyway, according to a wiki, the offroad performance of a Gresley is very good, even with it's lowered stance

Tested it tonight. It is very good off road, minus the ground clearance. I was definitely surprised. Good car for some of the easy to medium trails and one I would use during meets for trails of the M6 or lower variety.

Might do a Canis Mesa Off Road only meet in a couple weeks. Going to get my very own this weekend, then will get everything together for the meet. I figure that's a good car to use for those that are lower in level and can't afford or haven't unlocked many upgrades

R1600Turbo
Tested it tonight. It is very good off road, minus the ground clearance. I was definitely surprised. Good car for some of the easy to medium trails and one I would use during meets for trails of the M6 or lower variety.
You did test the Gresley? Good job!

What about the Evoque/Sport-based Baller? I'm guessing it might be good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back