GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
This is why I hate to watch England play against affeminate, diving, ref-influencing, face-grabbing, wind-up merchants like Portugal. Every few minutes one of them goes down like (s)he's been shot and then gets straight back up as soon as the ball's gone out of play. It happens every time and the officials stand there and let it happen. There are teams who play with dirty tactics and then there is Portugal.

Incidentally, I actually did put money on Portugal to win. I was expecting it and didn't want this match to be a complete loss. At least I made a profit on the cheating bastards.

Am I blind or did Ronaldo (Brazil) receive his yellow card while being inside the penalty box? The card was ridiculous, but if the ref gives it, then it is a penalty.

Tres bien les bleus!

Fact: 9 out of 11 players in my fantasy football team have been sent home :lol:

France outplayed Brazil throughout the whole game.

I'm not usually a fan of the French, but I actually want them to go all the way now simply because they've been the only team that's left in that hasn't dived that much. Really hope that they'll be some technology in future tournaments to clamp down on it. That way we won't be cheated out by Portugal 3 tournaments in a row.

Oh well, my English friends are all gutted, and my Brazilian friend cried in the pub... not a good time to tell them I have a fiver on both Germany (8-1) and France (14-1) to win the World Cup ;) :sly:

this smacks of german engineering, will italy dive themselves into the final or join portugal in the playoffs?

lucky i have'nt been betting this cup or it would have all gone to the charity

I feel a bit disappointed. I wanted a Brazil/Germany final. But the way France (Zidane in particular) played today, they were bound to win. Brazil didn't get forward enough in the first half, and they paid the price.

Brazil, like England, got what they deserved during this tournament. Despite a collection of great individuals, both failed to play as a team. Brazil will still have a good chance during the next World Cup, so will Argentina (by then, Messi and Tevez will be at their prime). England, meanwhile, will have most of their big-name stars past their prime in 2010.

Now it looks pretty wide open for the World Cup. But I think Germany will win it.

Mr. Boy
I feel a bit disappointed. I wanted a Brazil/Germany final. But the way France (Zidane in particular) played today, they were bound to win. Brazil didn't get forward enough in the first half, and they paid the price.

Brazil, like England, got what they deserved during this tournament. Despite a collection of great individuals, both failed to play as a team. Brazil will still have a good chance during the next World Cup, so will Argentina (by then, Messi and Tevez will be at their prime). England, meanwhile, will have most of their big-name stars past their prime in 2010.

Now it looks pretty wide open for the World Cup. But I think Germany will win it.

I'll be backing Italy, personally... Though Portugal may be able to con their way to it.

deutschland ist weltmeister!
g16.gif

Italy play too defensive, if they score first the rest of the game will see at least 8 players behind the ball. It's not that entertaining to watch so I personally hope Italy don't get to the final. I wouldn't mind seeing Germany win the cup, it must be somethng to win the world cup on home soil.

Man, Brazil played like crap today, Barthez barely touched the ball. We deserved to lose and france deserves to be in the same finals, Zidane was awesome. I would like to see Portugal in the final but I'm guessing it will be Germany vs France.

The worse part of it is I won't be leaving work sooner on wednesday. :(

Go France. Group H ftw.

WTF is wrong with ESPN? Why can't they just pronounce the simplest names correctly? Linda Cohn is a stupid moron. Who the hell says "enn'ree"?

Back