New! Japanese 90's Challenge

• Thread starter bigburt82
  • 107 comments
The Car: Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX (J) '97, Racing Soft tires, ABS1 no other aids.
The track: Trial Mountain Circuit (Reverse)
Best Lap: 1:34.922 (Driving Automatic Transmission, no cuts taken.)
The Goal: Under 8:00 for the race.

Cool opening shot at Grand Valley. I don't remember them having the camera in a low front shot and panning across the nose then to the side of the car. Maybe I just didn't notice before, but thought that looked cool.

I had the same thought. You didn´t notice it before, because it wasn´t there :) PD has changed something there. Quite nice imo.

The Car: Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX (J) '97, Racing Soft tires, ABS1 no other aids.
The track: Trial Mountain Circuit (Reverse)
Best Lap: 1:34.922 (Driving Automatic Transmission, no cuts taken.)
The Goal: Under 8:00 for the race.

I'm going the other way Dee, grabbed a '97 Civic from the NCD. I'm trying to get it as close to the AI as I can. Down to 410PP on Sports Hards, might have to either lower the PP a bit more or drop to Comforts Softs :ouch:

I bet you're loving chucking that Curore around :sly:

I had the same thought. You didn´t notice it before, because it wasn´t there :) PD has changed something there. Quite nice imo.

Haven't they changed the camera angles for all the races?? I only did the first two or three last night and they all seemed to have changed cameras. Nice, but still tedious as hell, just let me race the damned car..!!

{Cy}

The Car: Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX (J) '97,

As a fan of tuned small cars, I think I'll give your tune a try. I read about it a while ago (Kei/small car seasonal?), but never tried it as I was busy with my Honda Z.

Anyone braved the Midget yet?

Cool opening shot at Grand Valley...

I remember on the small car seasonal (track was reversed) you had a shot from behind and all the cars did a weird synchronized jink to the right!

As a fan of tuned small cars, I think I'll give your tune a try. I read about it a while ago (Kei/small car seasonal?), but never tried it as I was busy with my Honda Z.
Please do.:D
I'm working on an update but so far not much difference in performance.
For my tune just add ballast at position 50 until you get down to 450PP. Should be able to reach that without use of power limiter unless you use a mid RPM turbo and manual transmission.👍👍

Hi,

I had by a quite a long time my Acura NSX '91 RM at my garage with no use. So, detuned, sports medium and there I went. Way too easy, even with aero set to minimum, nice track selection tough.

Delicate Challenge:

Premium Acura NSX '91 on Comfort Softs
, only sport full intake/exhaust package, stock suspension, stock everything else. small Ballast near the front, Brake 5/4 and very careful driving all over the place, except for the long straight. (and awesome drift into the blind right tunnel)

Lap Times 1:49:75 for the win.

Trial Mountain Reverse is the only track I need in this seasonal.
The lead car will be an Aero 96, breaking well away from its pack, you need to chase that car down. safely. Good luck!

Mitsubishi 3000 series 4WD, tried one, and like it too, doesn't feel to 4wd'ish

Last edited:
Used my Mira for trial mountain and got 1.35s - 1.37s.
Same car as mine should be good for 1:34s maybe 1:33s with a good driver using manual transmission and racing soft tires.:cheers::gtpflag:

Mitsubishi GTO. Standard with comfort softs. Closest I got to "racing".

Just found out the Suzuki Alto RS-Z is very good around Monaco. It's size helps you just skim all the armco.

Fully tune it.

Sports Hard.
10/90 on the torque centre controller, so almost rear drive.
Up all the torques on the LSD.
Use handbrake a lot!!!!!!

Thank you for the suggestion.

Can you use this even though its not from the '90s? I was sad when I saw the Nissan EXA is from '88. :guilty:

So far, the Toyota Soarer is probably the most fun... an engine overhaul, some new shocks and gearbox and its away laughing. Also ran the Toyota Sera and Honda Insight for good fun!

Going to throw the Mazda Lantis/323 at it later... a lot of fun little cars, anything that you can wind up to about 200hp, and around 1000kg is good fun... drop down to 130hp for more of a challange...

That was a dyslexic typo.
I meant NISSAN 300ZX 2-seater (Z32) ('98).

Still have two to go but having fun used RX7 for first events sports soft

Took 97 Skyline for another even stock bar Sport softs & a lot of understeer.

But most fun so far was at Monaco use the Mazda Autozam AZ-1 '92 , that was fun race car had full tune not sure what tires I used but its was very twitchy.

took two laps to get the hang of it & passed the lead car with last few bends left, should find a good set up now but real fun. now to use another car for next event:tup:

I used my Midnight Purple R33 Skyline GT-R V-Spec '95 with 450pp (I had to detune it to 300bhp) and I easily beat them, much easier than I was expecting.

Anyone braved the Midget yet?

I remember on the small car seasonal (track was reversed) you had a shot from behind and all the cars did a weird synchronized jink to the right!

I'm going to, but not now because i don't feel like racing.

Please do.:D
I'm working on an update but so far not much difference in performance.
For my tune just add ballast at position 50 until you get down to 450PP. Should be able to reach that without use of power limiter unless you use a mid RPM turbo and manual transmission.👍👍

Or not...could have sworn I bought it ages ago but isn't in my garage :dunce:

So I tried the Midget at Trial Mountain. Never used it before so threw everything at it, and Sports Softs. Had to tweak the gears and suspension a bit, won by 3.5 secs on second attempt. First time I did roll it on that big bank - at end of start/finish straight on the reverse.

What a laugh. Another 👍 for the Kei cars

@noisiaturismo: wasn't too much of a race on Trial Mountain with the S3 tyes - I made loads of mistakes

Or not...could have sworn I bought it ages ago but isn't in my garage :dunce:

So I tried the Midget at Trial Mountain. Never used it before so threw everything at it, and Sports Softs. Had to tweak the gears and suspension a bit, won by 3.5 secs on second attempt. First time I did roll it on that big bank - at end of start/finish straight on the reverse.

What a laugh. Another 👍 for the Kei cars

@noisiaturismo: wasn't too much of a race on Trial Mountain with the S3 tyes - I made loads of mistakes
Send me an FR on PSN and I'll send you one all set up at 450PP.:D
Same user ID there as here.👍👍

That was a lot of fun. The Autozam was hilarious - such a crazy engine sound.

The skyline was a re-revelation as I haven't driven them yet this version, apart from the GT-R in the early seasonal but that's not a Skyline anyway. It's so capable! I bought one in the UCD, and it was within regs, but once I'd changed the oil and restored the engine, it was at about 453pp. I had to add a surprising amount of weight (about 180kg) to make it qualify, but even on confort softs it blitzed the opposition on trial mountain.

The RX-7 was epic too! Stock but with comfort softs it was so easy to drift, and win, on Fuji.

I think the key with this competition is to put rubbish tyres on decent cars, and just have fun mucking about on the way to a victory.

Tuning underdogs is fun too though.

Ah, the options - this contest really took me back to the days of GT1 and 2, and that's no bad thing.

Anyone else found any quirky car options for this event?

Always good fun to match tyres with the AI and set your chosen car near the lower end of the PP range, to see how you get on. Allowing for starting at the back, if it is too hard just dial in a bit more power until you are taking the lead half-way thru the last lap, hopefully that should make it a nice challenge. Turn up the PP if you need to grind for credits or prizes. Looking forward to dusting off an Integra type R. :)

Good fun in a stock RX-7 '91 rolling on sport hards. Won Grand Valley by 0.055s, proper slipstream drag down to the line. Did spin out a few times while I was getting used to the car

Just had a great race at Monaco. spun at the end of the first lap, got 27 secs before the leader and ended up winning the race at the last moment. It's fun when things like that happen.

Stock MR2 Spyder '99 at Toscana,wish me luck.:)

I have to say I'm disappointed at how easy that was to win..:indiff: most laps were in the 1:49.xxx-1:51.xxx range my best was a 1:45.836 in race 2. I laughed when someone said they were going to try a Daihatsu Midget (sorry if you were offended by that) but I'm now thinking that if you could get it close to 100hp with race tires it'd be easy.👍

Edit:Tires used were comfort soft's.

Last edited:
I bet I have 300 cars that qualify. All races were easy to win. I had one car that I could only get up to 350pp, so I tried it, I won at the very end of the last lap.

This seasonal is best to get out all those cars I bought and didn't drive.

I'm running out of things to buy. I have all the cars in the dealer, and about all the UCD and all the OCD. Buying parts is all I have left to buy

I bet I have 300 cars that qualify. All races were easy to win. I had one car that I could only get up to 350pp, so I tried it, I won at the very end of the last lap.

This seasonal is best to get out all those cars I bought and didn't drive.

I'm running out of things to buy. I have all the cars in the dealer, and about all the UCD and all the OCD. Buying parts is all I have left to buy

Well to be fair I'm buying cars to collect all the paint chips,which car was it that you could only get to 350pp?

Legnum VR-4 station wagon straight from the UCD to Toscana, no mods, stock tyres, red oil light all the way!! Leading by the end of lap 3 pulling consistent 1:46's. :D

This is fun! 👍

Going to try my K-car now Cappacino time! :)

4th at Grand Valley East Section,Peppy little car but needs a little more power,I ran it 450pp exactly 133hp racing mediums.

Last edited:
So far have used cars around the 400 mark without any mods and comfort softs . This is a really easy seasonal with even cars, much more fun to be had with weaker cars at 350 onwards though

Some of the japanese cars handle too well, even on comfort softs. The 91 NSX is amazingly easy to drive on CS tyres and I gave a mildy modded s13 a run out and that barely moved at the back end under full throttle.

Back