Playstation 3 System Update Thread

What are you trying to imply? that they're probably not editing it out because we might get yet another system update soon?

I'm not implying anything as I really have no idea why Sony has not updated it. I only find it very odd that they haven't considering in the past, they have updated the online manual at the exact same time that they released the previous system updates.

As for a possible reason being that they are already coming out with a new update, it still doesn't make sense why they haven't updated the online manual.

For instance, when they released 1.30 back in December, they followed it up a week later with 1.31 and then a week after that 1.32 - each time they had updated the online manual for each of those updates.

That said, you may be right, and that 1.8x is coming out soon, and they decided this time to wait for it before updating the online manual.

it's strange that they would wait for any reason though, considering that this update has a few items that would need explanation to the average user

As I suspect all current PS3 owners are already well aware of, System Update 1.8 was released last week.

However, for the first time Sony has not updated the online PS3 manual.

I thought maybe they have it hidden, and like the previous system manuals, by replacing the "current/index.html" to the system number, 1_80 it might show up, but no.

Very strange.
Well it took them a couple weeks, but the online manual is now up to date with v.1.80 - seems like the IT guys at Sony were caught sleeping at the wheel. :)

The problem I had was whenever you turned on the console, you could see the setting had reverted back to Limited, despite the option still being on Full. The update has fixed that now.

I've been reading that it's not quite 100% fixed. Apparently, the Full setting (now that it stays put) only affects Blu-ray and video files. Games, both PS/2 and PS3, still play in Limited. And there's some confusion as to whether it's actually passing the full color range.. some people are reporting that it's not.

What does this mean? Don't bother. If you calibrate your TV to the new setting, it will only work for half of the stuff you play.. everything else (like games) will end up mis-calibrated and won't look right.

(insert string of profanity here) Seriously, if you're going to "fix" something, at least make sure that what you're fixing is actually worth using.

I've been reading that it's not quite 100% fixed. Apparently, the Full setting (now that it stays put) only affects Blu-ray and video files. Games, both PS/2 and PS3, still play in Limited. And there's some confusion as to whether it's actually passing the full color range.. some people are reporting that it's not.

What does this mean? Don't bother. If you calibrate your TV to the new setting, it will only work for half of the stuff you play.. everything else (like games) will end up mis-calibrated and won't look right.

(insert string of profanity here) Seriously, if you're going to "fix" something, at least make sure that what you're fixing is actually worth using.

Uhh, "won't look right" as in they'll still look the way they were designed to look?

And uhh, how many users here have Full Range HDTV's, raise your hand!!

I do. The option certainly works on my TV. I believe your TV needs a 10-bit processor, but I'm probably talking out of my ass.

Uhh, "won't look right" as in they'll still look the way they were designed to look?

*reluctantly raises a furiously shaking hand*

I notice a difference on my rinky-dink Wal-mart special with an HDMI > VGA cable. Does that mean it's a full range HDTV? Or something else?

I notice the difference, but didn't care for it. I had to adjust all my settings all over again.

So, I tried it again, today, and adjusted my picture settings. Looks great. Thank Petey I've got a set that won't adjust your settings when you switch video sources (inputs).

I do. The option certainly works on my TV. I believe your TV needs a 10-bit processor, but I'm probably talking out of my ass.

I'm sure you would see a difference anyway. Not because the TV has 10-bit (or higher) video processing, but the offset is probably different. The PS3 is set to wide-gamut color (10-bit), but the HDMI connection has to negotiate down to 8-bit. The resulting offset can change how the colors & black levels appear, but you wouldn't be able to view the actual wider color range.

Unless, of course, your TV is HDMI 1.3 compliant, in which case it probably has at least 10-bit video processing. What TV do you have?

Um.. you don't know much about monitor calibration, do you? Calibrating your TV for full-range will mean altering the calibration for limited-range signals. Since I don't plan to waste my time in trying it, I couldn't tell you exactly what the results will be, but they certainly won't be correct. I'll let someone with more patience explain it to you.

Jeremy Ricci

*raises hand* And mine's not even top of the line. What are you playing on?

Sorry, Jeremy, but I'm still not at the point where I'm bowing and scraping at the Alter of All Things Sony. It's a good system, to be sure, but don't be so blinded by your blatant fanboyism that you can't even acknowledge that the system still has some kinks to be worked out.

We've been through this before, you know. I highly suggest you stop responding to my posts, since you obviously never agree with them. Does this forum have an Ignore feature? Ah, yes we do. I suggest you use it. I just did. Goodbye.

Speaking of the updates, is anyone else starting to find it annoying that Sony hasn't implimented a patch-style update system? Instead of downloading a small 1MB file that would simply update the firmware, we end up re-downloading the entire firmware package every time they make a minor change. I killed my bandwidth this evening running downloads on the computer, so it took my PS3 over an hour to download a .01 update that I won't even use.

*raises hand*

I'm sure in the Virtua Tennis demo it never flipped back to Limited, as it is more richly colourful and contrasty than I ever remembered it, even when turning the TV settings down - same in the GTHD demo.

Or does this only apply to the full game (I don't have one to try)?

I can't speak for your sources, but their observations are nothing like what I have seen on my PS3 when switching from full to limited.

I have my PS3 set at Full and it has not at all had a negative impact on PS3 games, so why on earth would I want to change my displays settings?

Besides, games are not held to the same video standards as movies, and thus no matter how perfectly your display is calibrated, you are going to find that from one game to another, you'll have to fine tune your video settings should you want to have the best possible presentation each time. It has nothing to do with the "Full" color range setting on the PS3.

I think most gamers are not going to be bothered with this, and for those that are, if you truly felt you needed two different calibration settings, then that should be very easy to do. Even my cheap 8-year old JVC 480i composite only 20" CRT TV in my office has the ability to save different video settings into memory.

Seriously, if you're going to "fix" something, at least make sure that what you're fixing is actually worth using.
They did, and I for one am enjoying the results.👍

Um.. you don't know much about monitor calibration, do you? Calibrating your TV for full-range will mean altering the calibration for limited-range signals. Since I don't plan to waste my time in trying it, I couldn't tell you exactly what the results will be, but they certainly won't be correct. I'll let someone with more patience explain it to you.
I have tried it, and as expected, it did NOT alter the calibration. I ran the same colometer tests with and without full, and it did not change the color temperature of the display.

I killed my bandwidth this evening running downloads on the computer, so it took my PS3 over an hour to download a .01 update that I won't even use.
Odd. It only took less than a minute to download the 1.81 update via my PS3's WiFi to my wireless router. What kind of connection and download speeds do you get from your ISP? Maybe your ISP or the servers were having some problems.

My system prioritizes based on a first-come, first-served basis. I'm also only on a 768K DSL connection. Cable requires a minimum of $60/mo, so they can kiss my ass. Anyway, I was downloading around a Gigabyte of stuff on my computer. The first one was getting maybe 50K/sec, the second was getting about 15K/sec. The PS3, as the "last" one, was probably getting about 5K/sec, essentially dial-up speed. Once the computer stopped, the PS3's speed jumped and it finished in no time. It was about an hour to get to 50%, then about five minutes to finish the remaining 50%.

Your TV will have to be recalibrated to take full advantage of the expanded RGB range. Currently, my TV is set up so that the brightest color that the television is capable is displaying is equivelant to 235. Anything brighter than 235 is effectively invisible, because it's all crushed into simply pure white. Ditto for anything below 16 on the black side. An output signal of 16 is the darkest that my TV is set to display. Once the PS3 is spitting out a full 0-255, the display has to be recalibrated to display those new colors. Otherwise, you're not actually seeing any of them.

The problem comes from the fact that the system doesn't display everything in that way. Once the TV is set up for 0-255, an output of 16-235 is no longer "pure black" and "pure white" as the TV displays it.

That's about as far as I can explain it... you either get how calibration works or you don't. And just because the display changes when you go from Limited to Full doesn't necessarily mean that the system is actually passing WTW or BTB. You need to perform certain tests in order to determine that. It may also depend on your connection between the system and the display. I didn't read all of the in-depth stuff on the AVS threads, I simply got the part where not everything on the system utilizes the full range, and that it doesn't always pass BTB. So I'll wait until it's confirmed by people who are better at this than I am before I bother trying to recalibrate my TV.

Odd. It only took less than a minute to download the 1.81 update via my PS3's WiFi to my wireless router. What kind of connection and download speeds do you get from your ISP? Maybe your ISP or the servers were having some problems.
He's not the only one. This update took at least half an hour to download - and several times before it, it failed to finish. I've never had that happen to me before.

G.T
He's not the only one. This update took at least half an hour to download - and several times before it, it failed to finish. I've never had that happen to me before.

Call your ISP. It's definately a problem with your connectivity and signal strength. Basically, your ISP times out and the connection is cut. The PS3 servers are very consistent and fast, and only extremely saturated area's (like CA and NY) have issues with download speeds.

If you normally don't take a long time, then it's your ISP.

I only brought it up because the "other console" does it patch-style. The download is very small and takes only a minute or two, even on my slow connection.

The "hook up your controller" option is also a bit annoying. Wouldn't be so bad if the cable was longer, but I have to get up and stand next to my TV for five minutes while the thing updates, then disconnect it and go back to my couch.

Call your ISP. It's definately a problem with your connectivity and signal strength. Basically, your ISP times out and the connection is cut. The PS3 servers are very consistent and fast, and only extremely saturated area's (like CA and NY) have issues with download speeds.

If you normally don't take a long time, then it's your ISP.
Oops, I forgot to mention is was actually my router. :dunce: I rebooted it and the speed was back up again.

I only brought it up because the "other console" does it patch-style. The download is very small and takes only a minute or two, even on my slow connection.

The "hook up your controller" option is also a bit annoying. Wouldn't be so bad if the cable was longer, but I have to get up and stand next to my TV for five minutes while the thing updates, then disconnect it and go back to my couch.

"patch style" is also the reason that there is a chance that the system can brick and you have to send it back to MS (at your expense) to get it fixed.

With a full flash of the firmware you leave no room for problems. This is why, ultimately, the PS3 has been a significantly more stable machine than the 360. "Patching" an OS is just not something you should do, especially when you keep patching more and more over time (looks at Windows OS).

And why would you stand next to your HDTV for 5 minutes? It asks you once to hook up the controller and then press X. The rest is automated and it'll restart on it's own...

Sony's got the right idea, especially when it only takes users all of a few minutes to update, and if their PS3 downloads too slow, you can get it from Sony's website and it takes a few minutes, put it on a thumb drive, CD, DVD, CF card, MS Pro, etc etc etc. Patching is the worst possible route to take.

I'm in South Texas, and although it didn't take me less than a minute, it certainly took less than five minutes to download and install 1.81 update, also via my wireless router. Some people would definitely get more benefit by upgrading their Internet Service than complaining about Sony's useful updates.

Took me around 3 minutes to download, but that was slow compared to what I usually get. That vid of the Motorstorm interview thats 300mb+ took about 10 minutes to download. I usually get about 300 to 400 KBps.

Back