[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have to like or support Hillary to be a Democrat and simply go along with, and go through the motions of supporting her simply...

I just keep getting tripped up there. I know you think you can vote Democrat without voting Hillary but... you can't. Not for president. Not this time.

Mark my words, Joe Biden will be the Democratic candidate. No sense investing too much worry on Hillary.

I just keep getting tripped up there. I know you think you can vote Democrat without voting Hillary but... you can't. Not for president. Not this time.
You're reading it too literally and I'm not trying to be literal. The question came up as to how people can support Hillary when she hasn't really done anything outstanding in her political career(paraphrasing). I'm saying you don't have to be a rah rah rah Hillary supporter to be on her side. You might prefer someone else, maybe feel the Bern, but Hillary is likely the Democratic nominee so you go with the flow. She's your person because she's part of your party, not because you think she'll be a great President or she's done so much for the country, but because she's a Democrat and that's enough for many people. Doesn't matter who you put on the stage, the vast majority of people usually vote D or R, regardless of who wears the monkey suit.
Mark my words, Joe Biden will be the Democratic candidate. No sense investing too much worry on Hillary.
The Democrat and Republican side of things are ripe for a potentially successful late entry. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Smilin' Joe Biden or even Al Gore throw their hat into the ring at the late stages after Hillary and Bernie attempt to devour each other.
:sly:

I can see this whole Presidential race turning out to be such a massive trainwreck. Hillary in prison, Donald without GOP support. I wonder what kind of juicy details will emerge from other potential candidates, seeing that this is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from over.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to invest everything I own in the popcorn business.

I can see this whole Presidential race turning out to be such a massive trainwreck. Hillary in prison, Donald without GOP support. I wonder what kind of juicy details will emerge from other potential candidates, seeing that this is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from over.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to invest everything I own in the popcorn business.
That's the beauty of Trump though. He's gotten this far without GOP support and the more vociferous they are against him, the more it sets him up as the outsider breaking down the Washington cartel. It plays right into his hands. If they start to cooperate, he comes across as the guy who conquered the cartel and still won't play into their hands.

That's the beauty of Trump though. He's gotten this far without GOP support and the more vociferous they are against him, the more it sets him up as the outsider breaking down the Washington cartel. It plays right into his hands. If they start to cooperate, he comes across as the guy who conquered the cartel and still won't play into their hands.

Great time to not be an American. :lol:

She's your person because she's part of your party, not because you think she'll be a great President or she's done so much for the country...

It is weird to me that people vote for people they don't like or don't think would be good in the position they're voting for them to be in. The false dilemma, that you must pick from the top two, is impressively good at getting people to choose something they don't want. This is the same technique you use on a toddler. She doesn't want to wear a bib but if you offer the red bib or the blue bib she picks one and is content. Are adults really that easily duped? Apparently so.

Great time to not be an American. :lol:
What's more worrying to me is not Hillary vs. Trump, it's the level of partisanship displayed on both sides and the lack of willingness to cooperate and find common ground to get things done. Contrast that with Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton for example. Such cooperation now seems like something that could only have happened a century ago. Both sides are so dug in and so unwilling to be seen as aiding and abetting the enemy, I fear massive gridlock on just about every issue for a long time to come. If The Donald wins and the Pubs retain control of the House and Senate, they'll probably go crazy passing as much legislation as they can while they hold all the cards and I don't think that's a good thing either at this point.

What's more worrying to me is not Hillary vs. Trump, it's the level of partisanship displayed on both sides and the lack of willingness to cooperate and find common ground to get things done. Both sides are so dug in and so unwilling to be seen as aiding and abetting the enemy, I fear massive gridlock on just about every issue for a long time to come. .

That's nothing new. The whole world is already looking forward to the usual poopthrowing.

What's more worrying to me is not Hillary vs. Trump, it's the level of partisanship displayed on both sides and the lack of willingness to cooperate and find common ground to get things done. Both sides are so dug in and so unwilling to be seen as aiding and abetting the enemy, I fear massive gridlock on just about every issue for a long time to come. If The Donald wins and the Pubs retain control of the House and Senate, they'll probably go crazy passing as much legislation as they can while they hold all the cards and I don't think that's a good thing either at this point.

The establishment thinking is that the D's will win control of the Senate in '16, but lose it back to the R's in '18.

Meanwhile, the House will be retained by the R's, but weakened by fewer seats and increasingly hamstrung by the Tea Party side.

I fear massive gridlock on just about every issue for a long time to come.

That's the best case scenario. When the government is actually able to do stuff we get things like Obamacare which are obviously unconstitutional, suck money, don't work, and that we'll never be rid of.

If The Donald wins and the Pubs retain control of the House and Senate, they'll probably go crazy passing as much legislation as they can while they hold all the cards and I don't think that's a good thing either at this point.

The Donald and the Republicans aren't exactly happy with each other at the moment. Not so sure they'll be working together.

That's nothing new. The whole world is already looking forward to the usual poopthrowing.
I've never seen this level of partisanship before. I mean the rhetoric was always there but when it came down to getting things done, usually the two sides could come together and get something done. Essentially there's been gridlock for 6 years now. I don't see it ending anytime soon no matter who wins, unless of course they take the Senate and House too.

I've never seen this level of partisanship before. I mean the rhetoric was always there but when it came down to getting things done, usually the two sides could come together and get something done. Essentially there's been gridlock for 6 years now. I don't see it ending anytime soon no matter who wins, unless of course they take the Senate and House too.

Ooh, you mean that bit of political Warfare. I completely agree with you on that. It's more a fight to cockblock one another than actually running a country.

If Trump is going to make this nomination and get to the presidency, he's going to need a VP who is massively qualified and will quell the concerns of the doubters on both sides of the aisle.

I suggest Chuck Hagel, Republican Senator for many terms who works well across the aisle, and who served two years as Obama's Secretary of Defense.

I would not put it past The Donald to do something never before seen in American politics. Nominate Ivanka Trump as his running mate.

No, he's going to need enough rohypnol to put entire states to sleep for 24 hours.
This seems like an easy win for the Democrats, but Reagan was also a celebrity that didn't get taken seriously in his early political career.

Don't count him out, especially in this day and age of celebrity reality obsession.

Reagan was also a fairly popular governor with the good graces to be running against Jimmy Carter.

Running against Hillary Clinton is what? Unlucky? She's the most widely hated democrat candidate for some time.

Running against Hillary Clinton is what? Unlucky? She's the most widely hated democrat candidate for some time.
Since... Jimmy Carter, perhaps?

Edit: Oh. I see. I phrased it badly. What I meant was that when Reagan defeated unpopular Democratic candidate Jimmy Carter he had already made the transition to popular (ish) political figure, including his bid for Presidency in 1976.

Last edited:
Reagan was also a fairly popular governor with the good graces to be running against Jimmy Carter.
This is why I said his early political career.

Similarly, Arnold Schwarzenegger was supposed to be a joke candidate.

Never trust the American public to make sense.

I'd definitely agree, it's just that I still can't conceive of Donald Trump running for president having any success in the primaries being the default republican candidate winning the presidential election.
And you just pointed out the issue with predicting what Trump will do. Every step of the way the experts have predicted his demise. When he could pretty much do anything and not lose, then it was to be a contested convention. That can still happen, but it would be PR suicide for the Republican Party at this point.

And Republicans hate Clinton enough to turn out in large numbers to stop her, even at the cost of their principles. I'm already seeing people I know saying the Never Trump people need to think long and hard about giving Clinton the election.

If Hillary is smart she will help get Gary "Trump's a 🤬" Johnson into the debates. Her biggest threat will be Sanders write-ins. There's no meaningful media coverage for a write-in movement, but she can get Johnson in the spotlight and have him hurt Trump.

I think a brilliant Trump move would be trying to get Johnson, or one of the libertarian primary losers to run as his VP. It would counter the thing most likely to hurt his chances. I could see John McAfee doing it.

I'm not sure that Jimmy Carter was "hated". He had the misfortune to preside over a very difficult time in US history - sort of the opposite of Bill Clinton who had the good luck to be President during the immediate post-Cold War period, a time of great economic growth. Carter was & is quite a remarkable man.

I'm not sure that Jimmy Carter was "hated". He had the misfortune to preside over a very difficult time in US history - sort of the opposite of Bill Clinton who had the good luck to be President during the immediate post-Cold War period, a time of great economic growth. Carter was & is quite a remarkable man.
I recall that my mother voted for Jimmy Carter in '76 because he was a "Born Again Christian". (She had caught religion in the early 70's.)

Jimmy Carter truly is a great person, but he was a feckless president.

This was on prime time network TV, all three channels, back in the day when there was nothing else to watch - Before cable TV.

At the time there were hostages being held in Iran, and the economy was crap. There is no hope, no optimism there at all.

Ronald Reagan would announce his run for the Presidency four months later. We all know what happened after that.

Last edited:
sort of the opposite of Bill Clinton who had the good luck to be President during the immediate post-Cold War period, a time of great economic growth.
The elephant in the room was that the Republicans had a majority in congress, and they forced Clinton to govern from the center.

I'm not sure that Jimmy Carter was "hated". He had the misfortune to preside over a very difficult time in US history

...and approached it by continuing one of the big economic screw ups of recent history. Monetary policy was running the country into the toilet starting with the end of the Nixon administration through Ford and Carter.

- sort of the opposite of Bill Clinton who had the good luck to be President during the immediate post-Cold War period, a time of great economic growth.

dot com boom/bubble was a major factor in that.

I was watching the Fox business channel (FBN) a few minutes ago. Judge Andrew Napolitano said that there is an internal debate between the Russian Foreign Ministry and the Russian FIS (KGB) whether or not to release the 20,000 emails it has that were hacked from Hillary Clinton and/or Sidney Blumenthal. I can find no other mention of this shocking news elsewhere on the internet.:confused:

*Edited upon viewing 2nd airing of Judge interview with Stuart Varney.

Last edited:
I was watching the Fox business channel (FBN) a few minutes ago. Judge Andrew Napolitano said that there is an internal debate in the Russian FIS whether or not to release the 20,000 emails it has hacked from Hillary Clinton and/or Sidney Blumenthal. I can find no other mention of this shocking news elsewhere on the internet.:confused:

Ex-Judge Napolitano often makes for interesting listening but it wouldn't surprise me to find that Fox are the only people carrying this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back