Shootings and explosions in Paris.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 915 comments
Again, 100% true. However, we are not exactly at war
So we just need to hope not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and keep going with our lifes like nothing happen'd. Problem is wrong places and wrong times are increasing drammatically fast.

Perhaps we declared war on Da'esh at some point?

Hollande did call this an act of war, and the UK and France are buddies. So perhaps there's a war, but they just didn't tell us yet?

Perhaps 7. Like Paris. Any reason to not help another 9.9999993 million because of that?
If the next 7 do a better job and kill 1000 people, would it still be worthwhile to help the others? If it's not 7 but 700 and they kill 10,000 is it still worth it? Is there no other solution that doesn't involve mass, permanent migration?

But it's less than 1% that are terrorists.

Also, the amount of lives saved by letting in refugees is higher than the amount killed in the Paris attacks.
So Sirian refugees are more important than French citizens?
No one should be allowed to trade life of innocents from his country to save people from another.

Wonna be a hero? Go die yourself for your ideals, not the others.

They declared war on us. I say, give it to 'em.
Indeed, we always want to be the ethical and political correct ones. They don't take that into account, not even human rights so why would we?

Ah yes i hear you say; "because we are better than them", and meanwhile our people continue getting shot up in the street, but at least we have the moral high ground no?...

There's probably a bunch of chicken***** orchestrating the attacks, carried out by easily brainwashed retards, who are too scared to blow up themselves.

Most likely. It's very much evident in the form of Islamic hate preachers in the UK who will brainwash young Muslims to go and join and fight for ISIS and Islam but haven't got the balls to do it themselves.

Whats the saddest thing of all (or the most frightening), is that our governments can basically do nothing to stop this.

There are things that can be done but many of them would infringe on human rights and civil liberties. If, to curb terrorism, those rights and liberties are breached then where does it stop? If, in protecting the masses, a few must be deprived of their rights and liberties then a case may be argued that it is necessary but who is just enough to make that decision?

So Sirian refugees are more important than French citizens?

Who said that?

No one should be allowed to trade life of innocents from his country to save people from another.

Who said that?

Wonna be a hero? Go die yourself for your ideals, not the others.

Exactly what ISIS are doing and they are heroes to themselves.

If the next 7 do a better job and kill 1000 people, would it still be worthwhile to help the others? If it's not 7 but 700 and they kill 10,000 is it still worth it? Is there no other solution that doesn't involve mass, permanent migration?

Problem is they still exist.

So we just need to hope not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and keep going with our lifes like nothing happen'd. Problem is wrong places and wrong times are increasing drammatically fast.

I did not say that, nor do I think this can be allowed to continue. The post was a response to a subdiscussion that was focussed on capturing terrorists and what to do with them. You're right that these things are increasing, and that is not on but then perhaps it is a time for the governments to actively declare war on the so called Islamic State and get the job done once and for all. That being said though, that is more difficult when you have them in someone elses country.

They declared war on us. I say, give it to 'em.
Sure thing. Where do we do that? Only dropping bombs into someone else's country is a bit rude and risks innocent lives.

Nevertheless, we must follow our own laws. If the UK has not declared war on Da'esh, the killing of "Jihadi John" is a state execution without trial on the basis that he is an enemy of the state. If that's how the UK operates, I'm an enemy of the state too.

Indeed, we always want to be the ethical and political correct ones. They don't take that into account, not even human rights so why would we?

Ah yes i hear you say; "because we are better than them", and meanwhile our people continue getting shot up in the street, but at least we have the moral high ground no?...
When we abandon our values out of fear, they win.

Their goal is to sow fear. They want to provoke anti-Islamic feeling to increase the persecution of Muslims in our countries in order to justify their existence and hatred, and to recruit more people for their cause.

A million Muslims flee them to come to us and we respond by saying that some of them must be terrorists... and that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We are lucky here in Europe as weve only let in 1 million Syrians recently. Phew thank god it wasnt more.

I'm not sure on this years figures, but going by last years, the majority of the refugees aren't from Syria, only about 30% (which was 79,000).

@Famine wasn't it a US airstrike that killed Jihadi John, or am I wrong on that?

Sure thing. Where do we do that? Only dropping bombs into someone else's country is a bit rude and risks innocent lives.

Nevertheless, we must follow our own laws. If the UK has not declared war on Da'esh, the killing of "Jihadi John" is a state execution without trial on the basis that he is an enemy of the state. If that's how the UK operates, I'm an enemy of the state too.
When we abandon our values out of fear, they win.

Their goal is to sow fear. They want to provoke anti-Islamic feeling to increase the persecution of Muslims in our countries in order to justify their existence and hatred, and to recruit more people for their cause.

A million Muslims flee them to come to us and we respond by saying that some of them must be terrorists... and that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
As always you make good points, but you're also forgetting reality here.
The Daesh declared war on all infidels and the west, they're actively fighting a war, neither the UK nor anyone else has to officially declare anything else beyond, only one side has to. Also, I don't see how we abandon "our" values if we fight them all out. We abandoned our values when we created that mess, now we have to clean up.

When things like this happen I not only feel for the victims and their families, but the countless Muslims that will be ran through the wringer because of this. I know several people who practice Islam, and they're no different than anyone else I know except their from the Middle East originally and not Michigan. They're good, kind, normal people that will probably now have to endure another onslaught of idiots thinking they're out to kill everyone. Extremist will ruin anything and everything, especially in a world where the media turns incidents like this into infotainment and tried to sway popular opinion in the name of ratings.

I'll be curious to see what the response is from the world after all the hashtags, lights, and whatnot subside. I really hope this isn't going to step-up and make more conflict in the Middle East than there already is.

If I'm not mistaken there was never a 100% confirmation, the Air Force was just "certain" they hit him.

I suppose a body would be needed and a positive ID made to confirm. Still, if it was him, it seemed inevitable that death would find him so I can't say I'm surprised.

@Joey D - I don't think these events are directly going to effect anything in the Middle East. It's clear that this Islamic 'war' is being waged against Western populations (outside of the ME, of course) and the focus should be to deal with it in these regions, not impose more suffering on the Middle East. That said, if the root cause is dealt with, and that happens to be in the ME, then I suppose that is where action should be taken, but not at the expense of the innocent masses.

When things like this happen I not only feel for the victims and their families, but the countless Muslims that will be ran through the wringer because of this. I know several people who practice Islam, and they're no different than anyone else I know except their from the Middle East originally and not Michigan. They're good, kind, normal people that will probably now have to endure another onslaught of idiots thinking they're out to kill everyone. Extremist will ruin anything and everything, especially in a world where the media turns incidents like this into infotainment and tried to sway popular opinion in the name of ratings.

I'll be curious to see what the response is from the world after all the hashtags, lights, and whatnot subside. I really hope this isn't going to step-up and make more conflict in the Middle East than there already is.

On that topic, I saw these two articles, the first that relates to what you just said in many ways.
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/11/14/paris/
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2004/10/12/ignorance-is-no-excuse/

@Famine wasn't it a US airstrike that killed Jihadi John, or am I wrong on that?
Good question, and one I don't know.

Of course if it was it changes the complexion of the execution somewhat - I believe that the US has declared war "on terror" (whatever that means) and the person in question is not a US citizen and not protected by the Constitution. But then Al-Sawlaki and his son both were and that didn't make much difference at the time.
As always you make good points, but you're also forgetting reality here.
The Daesh declared war on all infidels and the west, they're actively fighting a war, neither the UK nor anyone else has to officially declare anything else beyond, only one side has to.
Actually we do. It's in the Geneva Convention.

Of course the problem, as I alluded to earlier, is that Da'esh is not a state or nation and the Geneva Conventions deal with nations. It's an ideology - and you don't fight ideologies with autonomous missile strikes.
Also, I don't see how we abandon "our" values if we fight them all out.
Killing our own citizens without trial on the basis that they are a threat to the state is a complete abandonment of all principles of law. We are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law by our peers. We have no capital crimes, so execution is not a valid punishment.

Incidentally, we sit here and lambast Da'esh for decapitating, crushing with tanks or throwing off towers 'their' citizens that they say are a threat to their 'state', while using remote control rockets to kill our citizens that we say are a threat to ours.
We abandoned our values when we created that mess, now we have to clean up.
It's wrong to say that we created 'that mess', but certain individuals like Tony Blair - who fabricated intelligence to justify an actual war in Iraq - certainly haven't helped. He absolutely needs to be brought before a war crimes court.

Or just killed with a drone strike. After all, after what he did, does he really deserve a trial...

Part of me wants to agree with you, but if we throw our justice system out the window just because we know the outcome, does that not make (for that moment) as bad as they are?

After what Nathan Matthews did, does he really deserve a trial?
After what Harold Shipman did, does he really deserve a trial?
After what Rolf Harris did, does he really deserve a trial?
After what Ian Watkins did, does he really deserve a trial?

At what point do you draw the line and say "this person does not deserve a trial due to the magnitude of their crime"? Of course that's exactly what a trial is for - to establish guilt (from the presumption of innocence) of the crime in the first place.

That notwithstanding, there is no crime in the UK for which one can be found guilty that carries with it the sentence of execution.

Extrajudicially executing one of our own citizens is a complete abandonment of every principle of law and establishes an extremely dangerous precedent - you can be executed without trial anywhere on Earth for being an enemy of the state.

Of course that statement itself would be classed as seditious, so now I'm in the crosshairs...
What war?

The UK killed a British citizen with a drone strike in Syria. No part of that is war to my knowledge.

Perhaps we declared war on Da'esh at some point?
I'm sorry that I have the wrong opinion to the rest of the forum.

This is something I agree with 100% and even now everyone does exactly what they want them to.

I'm sorry that I have the wrong opinion to the rest of the forum.

Mate, there is nothing wrong with your opinion. There are valid reasons for what you say and valid reasons for what I say. At the end of the day, we are here really to debate, discuss and learn more.

Didn't he apologise for his lies recently? Trying to weasel himself out of a trial?
Not even that. He apologised for the intelligence being wrong.

Which it wasn't until he faked it.

I wouldn't say the the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan was completely responsible for the rise in terror attacks.

If that was the case then (in a similar situation) the Tibetans would be attacking and killing the Chinese left, right and centre for completely taking over their state. The big difference here are the religious cultures. There's no way Buddhist teachings can be twisted to inspire or justify acts of violence, but Islamic teachings...well that's a different story. The people behind these attacks are using the Qur'an as a means to justify their actions.

I wouldn't say the the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan was completely responsible for the rise in terror attacks.

If that was the case then (in a similar situation) the Tibetans would be attacking and killing the Chinese left, right and centre for completely taking over their state. The big difference here are the religious cultures. There's no way Buddhist teachings can be twisted to inspire or justify acts of violence, but Islamic teachings...well that's a different story. The people behind these attacks are using the Qur'an as a means to justify their actions.
Any religion can have a radical group in it.

Isn't it possible for the UK people to start a trial against that lapdog?
Jeremy Corbyn seems to think so - though he's properly mental.

I suspect if he ever did go to trial and was convicted, the UK would never have to worry about an 'Islamic' terror attack again.

The passport found on one of the suspects was registered in October on the Greek Island of Leros.

And in Belgium police have arrested a man who might have ties with the blown ups in Paris.

Latest Posts

Back