Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more curious about why real life statistics about car ownership, regardless of the validity thereof, mean anything in the context of customizing cars in a racing game.

So just because most people in real life wouldn't customize and modify their car in real life, we shouldn't be able to in a darn video game? That sounds totally ridiculous.

That's like saying you can't respawn in Battlefield because you can't in real life. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm more curious about why real life statistics about car ownership, regardless of the validity thereof, mean anything in the context of customizing cars in a racing game.

I agree whole heartedly with this, generally speaking people who are really into driving will make some kind of modification to their car. Customisation and after market tuning is a pretty major part of owning a car (At least to me it is)

In saying that, the more power you add to a car the harder it is for the body to keep up.. so in some ways the restrictions make sense.

I'm just interested to see where he gets this statistic from or whether it was just fabricated, intended to make his point stronger.

This game really needs to be able to limit pp, hp, and weight simultaneously. The grip hack adds pp. Loads of it. Add too much and the car will do an endless wheelie, or drive on two wheels around turns. It will drive horribly and go off track and out of control on every bump.

I do hybrid cars myself, but sometimes you don't want to see hybrids in races. Like in leagues. I can tell most cars are modded by ride height, wheel width, engine noise, or by general speed. If i have a hp and weight limited lobby, i'll switch it up to pp for a quick bit as a way to catch modders. Really catches them off guard. I don't mind them, as long as you are honest with your specs, and are willing to take no for an answer.

95% of people will instantly believe your post if you throw in a made-up statistic, even if it has nothing to do with the matter at all. :lol:

72% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

But your not customizing cars in game, your customizing them in an
outside program.

It is marketed as the real driving simulator, so real life statistics are relevant.

Regardless of that, legitimate car racing leagues have terms and conditions which the teams and drivers must abide by. Modding game saves goes against the terms and conditions specified by PD/Sony, which all of us agree to every time there is a firmware or software update.

It could also be detrimental to future games - manufacturers may not grant licenses if their virtual product is being tampered with by people that are trying to compensate for something.

It is marketed as the real driving simulator, so real life statistics are relevant.

Regardless of that, legitimate car racing leagues have terms and conditions which the teams and drivers must abide by. Modding game saves goes against the terms and conditions specified by PD/Sony, which all of us agree to every time there is a firmware or software update.

It could also be detrimental to future games - manufacturers may not grant licenses if their virtual product is being tampered with by people that are trying to compensate for something.

That's actually pretty true.. Thinking outside the thinking box. In a long run modder/hackers are only hurting the developers in the end. Motivation, permissions, licenses, time, effort, money, etc. So now they have to stop working on GT6 so that they can fix this unnecessary altering going on.. Give everyone of them a round of applause. IF you love the game you shouldn't be destroying it. ([Offtopic mod] Did you guys know "altering" is censored in GT5? well the "tering" is.

I agree whole heartedly with this, generally speaking people who are really into driving will make some kind of modification to their car. Customisation and after market tuning is a pretty major part of owning a car (At least to me it is)

In saying that, the more power you add to a car the harder it is for the body to keep up.. so in some ways the restrictions make sense.

I'm just interested to see where he gets this statistic from or whether it was just fabricated, intended to make his point stronger.

GT5 gives us modifications and tuning settings to play with. Engine swapping, X1 chassis swaps and 3000hp Civics are not common practice outside of Vin Diesel movies.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so excuse me for saying anything that's already been said. I voted No, but only because the option I wanted wasn't there. I think they should knock it on the head, but I think they should adopt it and introduce it as part of the game. I'm not talking about the ridiculous hybrids, I'm talking about simple drivetrain, engine and chassis swaps.

PDiddy have massive resources available to them, compared to the people who are sat at home in their bedrooms and man caves already doing exactly the sort of modding I'm talking about. It should be little effort for them to code it up and release it via an update...

{Cy}

So now they have to stop working on GT6 so that they can fix this unnecessary altering going on.. Give everyone of them a round of applause. IF you love the game you shouldn't be destroying it.

A bit over-dramatic... I doubt it will take so much manpower or resources to "fix" this issue that they will need to "stop working" on GT6.

Although, given PD's previous record of delaying GT releases... any reason is a valid reason. :sly:

When was the last time you took a 2.4 litre V8 out of a Ferrari F1 car and put it into your Honda Civic?

Did you mount it horizontally?

Why the f:censored: would you do that?

:rolleyes:

Because yes, I meant fitting an F1 engine in a Civic when I said "engine swapping".

Apparently you don't understand that people want to fit sensible engines into their cars.

So, you are saying that isn't common practice?

I have had 9 cars, and have never swapped an engine. Out of all of my friends, family and work colleagues, over a 20 year period, I know of one engine swap - a 2 litre Nissan motor into a Datsun 1600

*serious*

OK, engine swaps are commonplace. But only the vaguely sensible ones. Shoehorning an F1 motor in a Civic is, frankly, ridiculous, and anything like it has only happened once or twice before (the Espace F1, Transit SuperVan etc.).

I'm talking about the numerous engine swaps that people are doing in (for example) drifting, IRL and in GT5. Just look at all the big drifting series and I bet that nearly all of them have had an engine swap.

*serious*

OK, engine swaps are commonplace. But only the vaguely sensible ones. Shoehorning an F1 motor in a Civic is, frankly, ridiculous, and anything like it has only happened once or twice before (the Espace F1, Transit SuperVan etc.).

I'm talking about the numerous engine swaps that people are doing in (for example) drifting, IRL and in GT5.

Common place among niche groups is an oxymoron

*serious*

I'm talking about the numerous engine swaps that people are doing in (for example) drifting, IRL and in GT5.

LS-powered RX-series Mazda's, Porsche Boxer engines in Subarus, Rotaries in VeeDubs. If this realistic style engine swapping isnt in GT6, people are just going to find ways to hack that open too.

I seriously think that this being as widespread as it is, they'll have not much choice then to let it slide. The rate this is moving, they ban 1 and 2 more have hybrids.

But only the vaguely sensible ones.
There is no such thing. Swaps are either possible or not, and there isn't a lot keep a swap from being impossible.

Shoehorning an F1 motor in a Civic is, frankly, ridiculous, and anything like it has only happened once or twice before (the Espace F1, Transit SuperVan etc.).
Thus possible and valid, without argument. We should be able to do it.

Limits for the sake limits are just terrible. Aim for realism.

How common Is engine swapping in real life. Hmm out if every person I have ever known in 30 years, 1. 1 person who put an old m5 engine into an older BMW.

The hybrids break the pp system and give the users an unfair advantage over others.

Should be banned. Simples.

I can only surmise that ecocet is a troll based upon his continued ignorance and his forza SIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back