Slightly Mad: GT5's damage isn't "quite so realistic"

• Thread starter Tenma
  • 176 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, whinge, whinge, whinge. We get a major evolutionary step forward in GT history with the inclusion of damage, and at the slightest suggestion that it might not be absolutely perfect, people start throwing the toys out of the pram. There's a reason why I don't come into this subforum anymore, ad this thread is the perfect evidence of why. It's like the in-car views that will only be available for a handful of cars: a big piece of news, but it's still not good enough for some people. And the constant movement to have working reversing lights in the game, as if working reversing lights will make a great racing game into the ultimate racing game.

I knew I should have stayed out of here. I'm not going to pick al your toys back up because I know you'll just throw them out fo the pram again.

It's been like this since Gamescom really, it's actually improved a little since then IMO, though it will get worse again as TGS passes doesn't matter what is shown there.

its hard to keep the damage consistent. the main problem is trying to find a damage system that will keep all the car makers happy while still being somewhat realistic yet easy to deploy.

Why would they have to do that? None of the licensed cars in GT 5 are damageable.

^I wonder if they would say wearing helmets in a WRC is unrealistic as well.

They are Need For Speed. They should be the last people to accuse something of being unrealistic.

It's like a KKK member calling Al Sharpton a racist...

Well, Al Sharpton has a very different past than his present. Read up on his history.
But anyways, Yeah, Need for speed hasn't been the slightest bit of real other than the fact that manufacturers allow their cars to be on a progressively worse racing game. Seriously ever since Rivals 2, they have been utter crap. Racing and Story mode don't belong together.
I wonder if they would say that having 2 people inside a WRC car to be unrealistic as well.

that guy was talking bs but i honestly believe that the best car damage to ever come out of a game, was in burnout paradise. although maybe slightly overdone.

Need for Speed SHIFT may not be a Hardcore SIM but it should be quite realistic.

NFS is a series that doesn't always use the same devs. Many of the people making SHIFT are the same people who made GTR 2.

SHIFT is gonna be a great game.

I think everyone is missing the real importance of this article. Developers have damage regulations!!! That means that GT5 could take damage to a new level of simulation with body deformation in some of the 'premium models'. Also this could lead one to believe why Porsche doesn't want part in GT.

But anyways, Yeah, Need for speed hasn't been the slightest bit of real other than the fact that manufacturers allow their cars to be on a progressively worse racing game.

Well, NFS has a very different past than its present. Read up on his history

:sly:

Why would they have to do that? None of the licensed cars in GT 5 are damageable.

I guess that all those impreza videos coming out of gamescom were just fake after all :'-(

I'd take this with a pinch of salt tbh. I mean, these guys cant even spell, if you look closely they have added one F too many in their new game title. :)

You're trying a bit too hard there, unless PD announce anything officially... everything is speculation.

You're trying a bit too hard there, unless PD announce anything officially... everything is speculation.

Are you talking to me?

If you are I don't understand. Maybe I missed something but as far as I know Polyphony HAS officially announced that it will only be the race and rally cars that have damage modeling.

however tha side cage is a particularity of modern race cars... also jgtc and FIA cars have it in the side door...
what are they spoking about??? the developers of gtr2 are huge, but this game names Need for Speed, not gtr2.... and like he said "our title is not a sim" so bye bye ....

Maybe I missed something but as far as I know Polyphony HAS officially announced that it will only be the race and rally cars that have damage modeling.

No they haven't. All there was to that was a news on the japanese website that was leaked and pulled back with weird translation regarding that issue so, I don't call that official if it's not been announced properly.

Just saying...

Are you talking to me?

If you are I don't understand. Maybe I missed something but as far as I know Polyphony HAS officially announced that it will only be the race and rally cars that have damage modeling.

Nope, they have not. A while ago KY said maybe limited to race and rally cars but nothing has been officially announced. The news that was pulled from the official website said nothing either except some confusing thing about interior damage of premium 170 cars.

Oh and race and rally cars are "licensed" cars also.

Jay
Nope, they have not. A while ago KY said maybe limited to race and rally cars but nothing has been officially announced. The news that was pulled from the official website said nothing either except some confusing thing about interior damage of premium 170 cars.

Oh and race and rally cars are "licensed" cars also.

But in an interview since the leak KY has flat out stated that that leaked list was accurate.

I may not know all the details but some things are definitely obvious. Roughly ( if not exactly ) 170 cars will have damage and the others won't. I don't see any other interpretation.

Also at gamerscom only the players car was damageable ( even if it was crashing into another race/rally car ). I certianly hope that changes for the final game.

And while race/rally cars may be licensed in some way, I've never heard of any manufacturers having any problems with damage to those kinds of cars.

The core issue is that car manufacturers don't want their cars to appear unsafe. This isn't an issue with race/rally cars.

I'm also starting to have serious doubts as to weather or not the excuse of "car manufacturers won't let us" was ever really true.

But in an interview since the leak KY has flat out stated that that leaked list was accurate.

But we don't even understand the article properly and no where does it bring up race and rally cars at all.

He says it's "unrealistic" because it must have neons instead of a rollcage.

Why is it that when another developer talks about GT, it's just this horrible thing, but whenever polyphony does the same thing, then that's just fine. O_o

Please, I want a link where PD is talking about another developer. I Have never seen that.

Jay
But we don't even understand the article properly and no where does it bring up race and rally cars at all.

Maybe you're right but in my own mind there is very little confusion.

From what I've seen there has only been two interpretations.....

1. All cars will have fully modeled cockpits but only 170 "premium" models will feature damage modeling.

2. There will be 170 "Premium" cars with damage modeling and cockpits. The rest of the cars will have no damage modeling or even cockpits.

#2 is just a ridiculous interpretation in my mind so the obvious answer is #1.

As for the number 170, it seems obvious to me it's only for the race/rally cars. Infact when KY, in the past, talked about simulating damage he flat out said they they were getting close to being able to simulate damage on race cars. He never said anything about damaging licensed cars.

Why is it that when another developer talks about GT, it's just this horrible thing, but whenever polyphony does the same thing, then that's just fine. O_o

Well according to a latest PS3 magazine I have bought (Play) they confirm that damage will be on all cars. I believe the 170 means interior damage.

Still this magazine also says we shall see real time weather changes!

Maybe, but like I said we still don't understand properly so we can't claim it as fact until we do.

He says it's "unrealistic" because it must have neons instead of a rollcage.

Please, I want a link where PD is talking about another developer. I Have never seen that.

I'm not defending either side, I'm just saying that both sides do it.

An example that comes to mind is in the past when Polyphony was asked about implementing damage modeling, their response was that it's just not possible to simulate damage to their standard yet and they just won't do it untill it can be done "properly". Basically snubbing their nose at ALL other developers efforts with damage modeling thus far.

And the worst part is, is that when they finally DID implement damage modeling it didn't blow other damage models out of the water. Infact it's quite a bit inferior to most other damage models out there and left most people and the media disappointed.

The "competition" are playing dirty, dirty games...:grumpy:

Indeed and what makes me laugh is there won't be a NFS Shift demo on PSN store or Xbox marketplace.

Very odd especially as EA are very good at releasing demos. This speaks volumes to me and suggests they aren't that confident and fear the effects of a demo could have on the sales. This reminds me of RacePro as I was nervous about the lack of a demo and after playing it I fully understood why!

Well according to a latest PS3 magazine I have bought (Play) they confirm that damage will be on all cars. I believe the 170 means interior damage.

Still this magazine also says we shall see real time weather changes!

If I'm wrong then I have no problem admitting it, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that magazine doesn't know what it's talking about.

I say this because I can't remember the last time a magazine told me anything that I didn't already know atleast a month before it was printed.

Infact I have bought 3 separate magazines ( since E3 ) that claimed to have new info about GT 5 only to see some journalist talk about the E3 vid that we've all seen long ago with absolutely no new info whatsoever.

Gaming magazines are a very poor source for information..... this wasn't always true though.

I'm feeling quite jaded towards magazines at this point, can you tell? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back