The war on ISIS.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 3,128 comments
Daesh armored brigade exercises in Iraq.
IjDAT7RITVk.jpg

SApOaP4rtKw.jpg

rRiIJ-Kl5Pc.jpg

ilqcfBbHBPk.jpg

OfDPoaceDuY.jpg

bI5yr-zGwtw.jpg

23zJuDeAg8Y.jpg

ThMshff0OgE.jpg
What bothers me seeing these pics; wouldn't our satellites pick up on their little 'wargames' with tanks and armed vehicles in an instant? So we can scramble some jets and blow them to smithereens? Seems like they are very out in the open here and they seem to get away with it...

What bothers me seeing these pics; wouldn't our satellites pick up on their little 'wargames' with tanks and armed vehicles in an instant? So we can scramble some jets and blow them to smithereens? Seems like they are very out in the open here and they seem to get away with it...

No. In the 65,000 square miles of Iraq there are about 1,600,000 motor vehicles not including agricultural stuff. If they know where to look then they'll find them (and sometimes they do), otherwise the idea that a satellite will just be able to pick those out of a total overview is scifi for now.

Satellites are not live surveillance assets, they also require highly skilled personal to interrogate the image. This is easy when you know where you're looking, it's no so easy when you're scouring an entire dessert for what is probably a dozen vehicles.

Well seems i thought our tech was a bit more advanced then :D
We have ground-scanning airborne radar (both British and American) and some great IR and Optical systems (again British kit is quite good at this), and its probable there's a few CIA satellites that could spot a vehicle from thermal signature, but they all lack that super wide area ability and omnipresence.

Well seems i thought our tech was a bit more advanced then :D
I'm more familiar with aerial detection, but the best range you tend to get with a front line radar is on the order of a few hundred miles under the absolute best conditions. Ground looking radar will probably have shorter range than ones scanning the air, and the velocity of the radar has an impact on performance. It's better to fly slow than fast, which naturally makes it take longer to scan a given area.

We have ground-scanning airborne radar (both British and American) and some great IR and Optical systems (again British kit is quite good at this), and its probable there's a few CIA satellites that could spot a vehicle from thermal signature, but they all lack that super wide area ability and omnipresence.
I think it's more of a political issue, actually Western countries are ruled by burocrats that tell us they'll decide everything they have to "in the next meeting", yeah, next meeting, the "next meeting" mantra forever. If they really want to wipe them out, they have everthying they need to do it. Problem is they don't really care.

They only ones actaully doing something are the Russians. Even France stopp'd bombing as far as I know.

I think it's more of a political issue, actually Western countries are ruled by burocrats that tell us they'll decide everything they have to "in the next meeting", yeah, next meeting, the "next meeting" mantra forever. If they really want to wipe them out, they have everthying they need to do it. Problem is they don't really care.

They only ones actaully doing something are the Russians. Even France stopp'd bombing as far as I know.
:odd:

Utter rubbish. Western and Russian experience in Afghanistan tells you that fighting an insurgency that uses the population to hide and is made from dispersed units of 10s and not brigades and battalions is a challenging target.

The Russians have had greater success purely due to numbers of low-cost cold-war era aircraft they've been willing to deploy, whilst the West have found their force-multiplier of ISTAR and precision unable to make up for a lack of airframes in the air.

France's full throttle is an aircraft carrier, Britain is using planes shortly due for retirement and the US are still recovering from temporary financial limitations that are still having an impact on supply chains.

Yes you can peg this back to politics if you want, but it's a much longer term issue than the current desire to finish the job.

If they really want to wipe them out, they have everthying they need to do it. Problem is they don't really care.
The focus of many militaries up to the 1990's was the Cold War and fears of it going hot, which would be a large scale traditional nation vs nation war. This is a very different thing from counter insurgency, and using tools designed for the former to fight the latter is expensive and inefficient. It's one of the reasons why the arguments around the retirement of the A-10 is so heated. It's pretty outdated and vulnerable with regards to its original task, but it performs well as a COIN aircraft. It's scheduled to be replaced by the F-35. While that plane has many advantages over the A-10, those advantages are only going to be readily apparent against a large and highly advanced force.

The focus of many militaries up to the 1990's was the Cold War and fears of it going hot, which would be a large scale traditional nation vs nation war. This is a very different thing from counter insurgency, and using tools designed for the former to fight the latter is expensive and inefficient. It's one of the reasons why the arguments around the retirement of the A-10 is so heated. It's pretty outdated and vulnerable with regards to its original task, but it performs well as a COIN aircraft. It's scheduled to be replaced by the F-35. While that plane has many advantages over the A-10, those advantages are only going to be readily apparent against a large and highly advanced force.
Russia is bombing with Su-24's accompanied by Mig fighters. No new tech either.
But still effective since deash are running away in Libia.

Oh and yes, they have submarines that could lunch nuclear warheads anytime.
US have submarines as well.

Russia is not using MiGs in this operation. The newest planes operating are Su-30 and Su-34.

This has been going on with varying intensity since the 80's. You can certainly do damage with airstrikes, but it hasn't yet done anything decisive. They are also expensive, which is a very real military consideration.

Can't use them in areas near civilian populations, you wouldn't want to use them anyway as you would only cause more problems for people living there even if they're outside of the immediate blast zone. Then later down the line you'll be wondering why all these "terrorists" are angry with you.

But the consider that up until recently the vast majority of airborne ground attack weapons have been designed to destroy MBT or mass infantry.

The British Brimstone is actually a non-fragmentation device that has a very low collateral damage compared to, for example, a paveway. But only the Brits on Tornado have the ability the drop them at this time, and we've barely a dozen Tornados we can fly in theatre at a time.

This morning in a Parisienne suburb a man entered a nursery school before schooltime and entered a classroom where a teacher was preparing for the day. He stabbed her in the neck (not a serious injury, fortunately) and reportedly shouted "This is for Da'esh". BBC.

EDIT: As pointed out later by @Dennisch... the teacher lied about the whole thing. Bizarre.

Last edited:
I think we will see quite a rise in stabbing incidents coming our way. Everyone has a kitchen full of them.

I think it's time to buy protection.

Can't use them in areas near civilian populations, you wouldn't want to use them anyway as you would only cause more problems for people living there even if they're outside of the immediate blast zone. Then later down the line you'll be wondering why all these "terrorists" are angry with you.
I don't care what they think and what they are angry for. They are just a group of neo nazi criminals hidden under a religion flag. Enough reasons to keep bombing until the last of them is sent to hell.

I don't care what they think and what they are angry for. They are just a group of neo nazi criminals hidden under a religion flag. Enough reasons to keep bombing until the last of them is sent to hell.

I don't think anyone's too worried about terrorists being hit with ordnance. The question is whether or not we should try to avoid hitting the schools/hospitals/civilians/children around them. I suggest we should.

You either misunderstood @Exorcet's post or you genuinely don't care.

I don't think anyone's too worried about terrorists being hit with ordnance. The question is whether or not we should try to avoid hitting the schools/hospitals/civilians/children around them. I suggest we should.
Problem is these cowards are hiding in school hospitals but nobody wants to risk their men on a ground campain. I can understand that, so who wants to fight keep bombing instead.
Collateral deaths? Well I'm really sorry for them but I'm also sorry for the 130 people died in Paris because Western Countries allowed these criminal to grow and become a serious threat. They are like a virus and it's time of pest control.

Problem is these cowards are hiding in school hospitals but nobody wants to risk their men on a ground campain. I can understand that, so who wants to fight keep bombing instead.
Collateral deaths? Well I'm really sorry for them but I'm also sorry for the 130 people died in Paris because Western Countries allowed these criminal to grow and become a serious threat. They are like a virus and it's time of pest control.

So killing innocent civilians like-for-like is, as you put it, "pest control"?

So killing innocent civilians like-for-like is, as you put it, "pest control"?
Killing terrorists is pest control. Collateral deaths are the bad side of war. But with this blindness and "forever wait" attitude daesh become a threat for the whole World.

We reached the point that is time to do something. We can't keep the peace only through flowers and fancy speeches.

Killing terrorists is pest control. Collateral deaths are the bad side of war. But with this blindness and "forever wait" attitude daesh become a threat for the whole World.

We reached the point that is time to do something. We can't keep the peace only through flowers and fancy speeches.

You call bombing innocent people trying to get on with their lives "keeping the peace"?

Explained already. Read again.
No one target civils on purpose. If it happens when it happens they are called "casualties" for a reason.

Yes, because they're casualties. Kind of tells itself.

The question you failed to answer was "do you think that's okay"? If you do think it's okay then who cares about the people in Paris, they were collateral in a war by Islamic State, right?

Back