You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,207 comments
Roo
A Mini racer called Harry Ratcliffe in the 1960s tried that with a Buick engine mounted in the back of a Mini, driving the front wheels:

Time has not been kind to it, though.

2009_06140130.jpg

Unrestored with a little patina, people love that :)

I know Porsche, just like most automakers, has a dizzying array of long forgotten concept cars. I'm not a concept car expert but I never knew Porsche had tried the four door sedan more than once - actually three times which led to the Panamera. I can't believe I haven't seen these cars before.

This is the first attempt at a Porsche Sports Sedan, the Troutman Barnes 911 Sedan.
Porsche-1967-911-sedan-a-Mad4wheels-Troutman-Barnes.jpg

In 1967 Dr. William Dick, a Texas Porsche dealer, contracted Troutman and Barnes to build this one-off 911 sedan. The car was built on an almost unlimited budget and some factory support. The rear suicide doors are such for a reason - they're actually regular 911 doors, modified slightly, and mounted backwards.

The next attempt at a four-door sedan was the result of a Porsche-AMG partnership in 1986. This four-door 928 "S4" was built as a prototype but given to Heinz Prechter, CEO of the American Sunroof Corporation in Detroit.
87-Porsche_4Dr_Sdn_DV-08_AI_04.jpg

A year and a half later, Porsche went at it again with the 1988 989 Concept. Featuring a 300hp V8, the car was actually very refined and beautifully finished for a concept. Built under watch of Ulrich Bez (now head of Aston Martin) and designed by Harm Lagaay, the car was slated to be put into production in the early 1990s. The project, however, came to a halt when Ulrich Bez left Porsche in 1991. Originally claimed to have been destroyed, Porsche has since stated that the 989 concept is in storage.
24944d1156767172-porsche-989-concept-four-door-porsche-never-went-into-production-989_3.jpg

A progression:
porsche-911-sedan-troutman-barnes1.jpeg

porsche_989.jpeg

porsche-panamera.jpeg

Sources used:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/archive/112_0909_original_porsche_four_door/
http://www.carscoops.com/2009/06/porsche-four-door-sedans-of-past-or-how.html

image.jpg
image.jpg
Something that I didn't know about. A SVO mustang. I don't know if this is something really special or not, but something I don't know about.

^ Its not a special model it just has SVO side exhaust from the Ford Motorsport SVO performance catalog. Some time in '00 the catalog was renamed Ford Racing performance parts.
I used to have them going back to '97 but sadly they got lost when I moved.

m2bIAQCIDYXEOuV0qt0kN7g.jpg

ford_motorsport_2000.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. If I remeber correctly it sounded like a Beetle when it left the show.

Did you take a look at the lettering in front of the rear arch?

There's no way I can make out what it says because of the shot angle. But it might help find out who the kit manufacturer is.

Last edited:
Did you take a look at the lettering in front of the rear arch?

There's no way I can make out what it says because of the shot angle. But it might help find out who the kit manufacturer is.

If I did I certainly don't remember, this was about a month ago.

Roo
A Mini racer called Harry Ratcliffe in the 1960s tried that with a Buick engine mounted in the back of a Mini, driving the front wheels
What amuses me is the first line - "possibly the quickest Mini in the world, with 155 bhp fitted neatly in the boot".

Makes me wonder if it ever got its power upgrade - as with that kind of power and a boat anchor in the back of the car I'd be surprised if it was significantly quicker than the works Coopers of the time, which were knocking on the door of 100 bhp. And of course, we've seen some crazy stuff since - bike-engined Minis, VTEC Minis etc.

What amuses me is the first line - "possibly the quickest Mini in the world, with 155 bhp fitted neatly in the boot".

Makes me wonder if it ever got its power upgrade - as with that kind of power and a boat anchor in the back of the car I'd be surprised if it was significantly quicker than the works Coopers of the time, which were knocking on the door of 100 bhp. And of course, we've seen some crazy stuff since - bike-engined Minis, VTEC Minis etc.
What surprises me is that no one I can think of has ever done a rotary Mini. That would probably get you the best bang for your buck in terms of power vs. space and weight.

B. Engineering Edonis V12 Twin Turbo
B+Engineering+Edonis+Rear.jpg

I had a supercar calendar in 2003 with that thing filling the February slot. Rear end is a glorious mess that I still have trouble making heads or tails of, and the front looks so dopey it's laughable.

45452_322684.jpg

And it was still the best part of that calendar.

Wasn't there a quad turbo V12 Edonis?

I believe all 21 Edonii that were available to buy had the larger, higher boost twin-turbos. Some of the earlier test versions probably used quad-turbos hooked up to modified V12 units from the EB110 SS, before they went and blew up half a dozen of them.

^ Its not a special model it just has SVO side exhaust from the Ford Motorsport SVO performance catalog. Some time in '00 the catalog was renamed Ford Racing performance parts.
I used to have them going back to '97 but sadly they got lost when I moved.

I still have some Ford Motorsport parts from before it was called Ford Racing.

The one thing that made the Edonis more bonkers than the EB110 is that they increased power but converted it from 4WD to RWD.

XS
This is a carryover from the Rate the Vehicle thread. A gem from when I was a child. I remember this having a bit of a "5 seconds of fame" in the early '90s. The Zender Fact Four:

That's actually a real car!? I only remember it as a Hot Wheels car. I always thought it looked like it had been designed too realistically to be a Hot Wheels original car.

258 mpg VW Concept.
vw1.jpg

I wish they made it, I want one.

Sadly, it stayed a concept, but hopefully the updated concept will be produced.

VW L1, twin cylinder diesel, mid 100s mpg.
vw_l1_09_05.jpg

Last edited:
This was a Mustang II. Optional body kit you could order O_O

wildduece2.jpg

And the brochures for verification...

wildduece5.jpg

wildduece4.jpg

wildduece.jpg

wildduece3.jpg

Back