You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,207 comments
1981 AMC Spirit AMX Pace Car, one of 5. Has a 450hp turbocharged 250ci (3.9L) Inline 6.
Picture-123.png
Picture-134.png
Dat wiring.

I was searching on craigslist (because I like looking at cars that I could possibly by often) and well; I found out about this car:
The Reo Flying Cloud, I don't know much about it, but it looks like an interesting car.
reo-flying-cloud-10.jpg

The original name for the Porsche 911 was the 901, but Peugeot filed a lawsuit against Porsche because the name had three digits with a zero in the middle. Peugeot won, and Porsche had to change the name.

And after the '1007' name pronunciation issue raised by the Bond franchise, the shoe sort of ended up on the other foot more recently.

The 901, what would eventually become the 911, as said above, was also meant to have larger rear seats, important because if you've ever sat in a 911, any one of them, you know that nobody over the age of 8 months should be back there.

1977 Pontiac Can Am

009x1large.jpg

Hooniverse
For the total sum of $1,214.43, the Can Am Option Package could be added to a LeMans Sport Coupe with the louvered quarter windows. The package consisted of the following:
T/A 6.6 400-cid 4-barrel Pontiac V8 (or Olds 403 if sold in California)
Power front disc brakes
TH400 heavy-duty automatic transmission
Power variable-ratio steering
Rally RTS handling package
(..and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with performance.)

Unfortunately, Can Am production ended prematurely, when the mold used in manufacturing the unique “duck tail” spoiler was accidentally damaged. It’s interesting to note that the exact same circumstances surrounded the discontinuation of the duck tail spoiler that was produced (in very limited numbers) for the 1972 GTO. There is some controversy over exactly how many Can Ams were produced; depending on the source, the final tally stood at either 1100 or 1377.

Waaaaat?

Not the most desirable car, but still one I've never heard of, and a really weird way to go out of production.

Lol. Where did Pontiac get the idea of naming it after Can Am? "I know, lets take the name from a race series of fire-breathing 1100hp sports-prototypes - which we have no association with - and give that name to a 200hp warmed-over 2 door saloon/coupe - based on the our LeMans model - which is also named after a race sports-prototypes which we nothing to do with."

Makes total sense.

Lol. Where did Pontiac get the idea of naming it after Can Am? "I know, lets take the name from a race series of fire-breathing 1100hp sports-prototypes - which we have no association with - and give that name to a 200hp warmed-over 2 door saloon/coupe - based on the our LeMans model - which is also named after a race sports-prototypes which we nothing to do with."

Makes total sense.

Oh, the irony of it isn't lost on me! American manufacturers seemed to go through a phase in the 1970s where they snapped up every exotic-sounding, vaguely racing-related locales (Chevy Monza, Pontiac Grand Prix, Dodge Monaco anyone?) for which they had virtually no involvement with. Counter that with many British and Italian marques which usually celebrated their successes (or past glories) on those very grounds, occasionally labeling their cars as such.

I suppose one exception would be the Dodge Daytona, but "Monte Carlo Rockingham" or "North Wilkesboro Thunderbird" or "Road America Maverick" just doesn't sound right.

Here's one from lil ol' New Zealand that I didn't know about until our company made some moulds for them.

K_Salon_Prive.jpg

Would be an interesting drive, 7L V8 at 600hp, and 980kg. (Uses the corvette LS7-V8 motor).
Comes topless too.

Here's one from lil ol' New Zealand that I didn't know about until our company made some moulds for them.

K_Salon_Prive.jpg

Would be an interesting drive, 7L V8 at 600hp, and 980kg. (Uses the corvette LS7-V8 motor).
Comes topless too.
Is that a Can Am (again with the names...)? I remember seeing the topless version somewhere.

The new Lamborghini Hurácan
huracan-3-4.jpg

The only reason I just found out about this car a few minutes ago is that I had neglected to check UltimateCarPage for a while. It's the successor to the Gallardo, already has nearly as much power as the Murcielago had, and while at the moment I still think it looks a bit too much like it's predecessor, I thought the same about the Aventador until I had a really good look and fell in love with it.

Knight 7, discovered via this Best Motoring Super Battle, but can't find any other info:

Here another video of it on Best Motoring..skip to 4:47
It's called a Knight Sports Final Evolution FD3S. It's a modified RX7 (FD).

The Chevrolet Captiva, which is an Euro Chevrolet SUV and I already don't like it. It just doesn't strike me as something I would buy.

You could do a lot worse when buying Korean seven-seaters. Of course, it's nowhere near as good as a Santa Fe.

Scratch that... Ssangyong is dead...

SVX
Those are also known as Mazda Familias/Mazda 323s right? Even hotter versions of those. :dopey:

Laser/Lynx/Tierra/etcetera... lovely cars, once upon a time... :D

You could do a lot worse when buying Korean seven-seaters. Of course, it's nowhere near as good as a Santa Fe.
I have to agree on this, I've took a ride in a Santa Fe recently and I thought it was fairly comfortable.

I knew about this a year or so ago but forgot about it..

The 1971 Shelby Maverick.

Yes, you read that right.

shelbydemexico2.jpg

shelbydemexico4.jpg
mexautoshow2.jpg

Built only in Mexico, only 300 were built, all of them V8 cars. 100 of them were beefed up 302's (5.0), the other 200 were 302 horsepower 351W V8's.

Back