You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,207 comments
I was up north earlier this week, and while I was there I found a Ferrari 365 GTB4 and, what I thought at the time was, a Lotus 7 kit car.

Further investigation when I got back made it clear it was an original car, a 1985 Lotus S4X.

I found the actual car on Google.

BDD518.jpg

The place where I got the picture from had a bit of info on it too, from the owner!:

Howdy - that's mine. Last of the Steel Bros S4 chassis / running gear + Lotus 907 2.0ltr engine & Elan 5-spd gear box. Built by the ill-fated Bainbridges after they 'bought' bits & jigs.

I can't find any other info on it though...

SVX
I was up north earlier this week, and while I was there I found a Ferrari 365 GTB4 and, what I thought at the time was, a Lotus 7 kit car.

Further investigation when I got back made it clear it was an original car, a 1985 Lotus S4X.

I found the actual car on Google.

BDD518.jpg

The place where I got the picture from had a bit of info on it too, from the owner!:

Howdy - that's mine. Last of the Steel Bros S4 chassis / running gear + Lotus 907 2.0ltr engine & Elan 5-spd gear box. Built by the ill-fated Bainbridges after they 'bought' bits & jigs.

I can't find any other info on it though...

But it is a Lotus 7.

The Steel Bros. brought the rights and chassis from Lotus for the series 4(S4).

I did some searching and found this......
http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221

SVX
So, it's the same as a Caterham is to a Lotus 7, kinda?

Thanks for doing some more research, quite interesting!

Both Caterham and Steel Bros. were first 2 companies to buy the rights to the Lotus 7 from Lotus/Chapman.
The Steel Bros. are not that well known.
The only car (other then the same Lotus 7) that I can find is a widebody version of the Lotus 7. Only one of them ever made by the company.
SteelBros1.jpg

SteelBros3.jpg

Last edited:
That Dacon 828 put a smile on my face...aping a Porsche 928 like that. But with 110-some horses with rear-wheel drive, and miniscule...

A Ford GT40 roadster on a GT/111 chassis. It's interesting to see this car in roadster form to me. I found out about it in the suggestion section of GT6.
gt40-jpg.105257

I also learned about the Vectra Supertouring from wikipedia.
lloyd_car_015.jpg

Austin Monteg-ew would also be a befitting name, and rolls off the tongue better.

Also kind of disheartened that the Montego is so rare nowadays.

Last edited:
No it isn't, the montego along with everything else BL or what ever they called themselves at that moment in time, were dreadful.

Thank you Danny for reminding me of their existence :(

Shelby GT250. 1971 Mercury Comet "Shelby-fied". It came with a GT40 supplied 289 block and heads that pumped out 350 horsepower, and was faster than the original 1965 Shelby Mustangs. The GT250 featured special front disc brakes, modified suspension and Koni shocks. It had T-10 trans and a Traction-Lok rear with 3.00 Le Mans gears installed, plus Shelby 14"x7" aluminium wheels. 140 mph was possible with this car. The GT250 was first used by Philippe Bervoet, then the business partner (and former Dubois race team driver of a De Tomaso). It was later sold to M. Olcar (Olcar Sales). He sold the car to a norwegian customer of him. He bought a number of cars from Olcar. The Maverick was one of them, but at the time it had a 302 built in, obviously the GT40 289 was taken out at some time.

Engine 289 with GT 40 specs (350HP)
Shelby R-model rims
(probably) Avon tires
Suspension mods like stabilizer, lowered, Koni Shocks, etc.
Scoop
Hood pins
Hood and body side stripes
Rear Trunk filler cap like on the other Shelby Europa
289 powered Shelby emblem on the rear
Claude Dubois tag inside the engine bay

This was the only one built, and unfortunately was scrapped. It's not longer with us.

shelbyeuropagt250_2_23732102.jpg

shelbyeuropagt250_1.jpg

Back