Your Assessment of Spec 2.0

• Thread starter YellowG1
  • 125 comments

Now that we know what's in Spec 2.0, what's your assessment?

• Much more than I expected

Votes: 103 31.8%
  • A little more than I expected

Votes: 85 26.2%
  • About what I expected

Votes: 81 25.0%
  • Less than what I expected

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • A lot less than what I expected

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters
I'm excited to see what it brings, as looking at the picture with the GT-R, you can see new RM'ed cars behind it. I don't think they've revealed everything yet, and I'm looking forward to DLC. One thing that bothers me is that it appears there still are no Dodge NASCARs for some reason.

Maybe because the Cars than PD is using are the SPRINT CUP Ones (Ford Fusion, Toyota Camry and Chevy Impala) instead NATIONWIDE Ones ( Dodge Challenger, Ford Mustang)

• Simplified interior views added to all standard cars. WHAT'S THE POINT ITS STILL UGLY LAST GEN MODELLING AND STILL CANT BE USED IN PHOTOMODE.

• User control of the weather change feature. NICE BUT WILL IT BE ON ALL TRACKS NOW AND WILL WE HAVE REFLECTIONS ON TRACK.

• Settings sheet which allows you to save multiple car settings. ABOUT TIME SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME TO BEGIN WITH.

• New Spec 2.0 opening movie. WHY WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS.

• Improved UI response and usability. LETS HOPE IT DOESN'T ADD MORE BUGS.

• Replay forward/rewind. YET AGAIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME TO BEGIN WITH.

• Mid-race save feature for endurance races. FINALLY I CAN COMPLETE ALL THE RACES WITHOUT RISKING THE LIFE OF MY PS3 AND HAVING TO PAY SO MUCH IN ELECTRICITY BILLS.

• Expanded online lounge features (narrowing down car types, shuffle races…). DOES THE ONLINE ACTUALLY WORK TO USE THIS.

• Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).ANOTHER POINTLESS ADDITION.

• Added “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel. WHO CARES.

• Added 11 new 2011 NASCAR models. YET AGAIN WHO GIVES A MONKEYS.

• Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours). OH LOOK ANOTHER JAPANESE CAR, STILL NO PREMIUM XJ220 OR VEYRON THOUGH.

• Improved physics and artificial intelligence. ABOUT TIME.

• Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel. NICE EVEN THOUGH I DON'T USE A WHEEL (DUE TO LACK OF ROOM)

That's basically my thoughts, Some things that should have been in the game to start with and other things that nobody or very few people even care for. First rule of mass media, GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT, In my case that's a livery editor/creator 👎

Now that we know what Spec 2.0 will contain:

• Simplified interior views added to all standard cars.
• User control of the weather change feature.
• Settings sheet which allows you to save multiple car settings.
• New Spec 2.0 opening movie.
• Improved UI response and usability.
• Replay forward/rewind.
• Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
• Expanded online lounge features (narrowing down car types, shuffle races…).
• Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).
• Added “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel.
• Added 11 new 2011 NASCAR models.
• Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours).
• Improved physics and artificial intelligence.
• Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel.

What's your impression? Was the above what you expected, more than you expected, or about what you would expect?

How can you assess anything when you've not even tried it yet? :ouch:

Pretty excited for this, always welcome new features and updates.

Saw the pics of what looks like the Standard interior view, looks like the steering wheel is faded, i wish they would add the option of displaying/not displaying the interior view steering wheel. I hate seeing both my wheel and the games wheel.

Honestly the fact that their so called "racing game" still has no leaderboards, no type of qualifying whatsoever, and no custom races against whatever AI cars you want is ridiculous. Update will be great, but how about you actually make your racing game a racing game, PD.

Last edited:
Underwhelming...

Improved physics is a good start...

Missing leaderboards and online match-making, more online lobby options, more online racing events

Way I see it is many of these changes are huge. The mid-race save is something other games would have simply waited and charged $70 when they added it to a new release a year later.

GT5 isnt perfect, but we have had some major changes patched since the original retail release. GT5 is a grand game, and some people will never be happy, but as far as I see it, this is praise-worthy after sale support by PD. Something thats not common anymore.

- Awesome feature, but I don't really care much about cockpit views, nor needed them.
- Didn't expect this to be included. Will be quite handy.
- This was an absolute needy feature!
- Elated to have the opening movie changed into something else. But I must see it to believe it.
- Not very much a requirement, but acceptable. The UI needed a bit of tweaks here and there.
• Replay forward/rewind.
- Another absolute needy feature!
- I'm not surprised this will be included.
- I don't do very much Online, but still, pretty awesome expanding a bit on that section.
• Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).
- I adore GT5's photomode, so this is considered an excellent addition to me.
- Meh. But still, you never know.
- I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but nonetheless, it was pretty nice adding that much of cars in one update.
• Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours).
- Pretty nice addition. I would enjoy Kaz's ride 'round the Nurburgring.
- We'll just have to see about this. But kinda curious on what it will bring.
- I don't have a wheel yet. But If I do manage a G25 or G27, then this will be an important addition.

Also, this is just an impression, meaning that I didn't tried each feature out yet. Anyways, this update wasn't disappointing to me to be honest. Had a couple in there that were basically mandatory to be implemented in the first place, like saving tuning settings.

CAM
Hey guys! My first post in the GT section of the forum in awhile, but I needed to help show support for all of what Kaz and PD are doing. I haven't picked up GT5 in awhile, due to school, but this update has me so excited I don't exactly know how to deal with the time for 6 days. The thing that has me really jumpy are the "racing car" and "course" packs. It seems like it will give me the opportunity to learn about new cars again, the thing that made me fall in love with GT 11 years ago. Thank you Kaz for doing your best to keep my favorite game fresh and show us it still is your pride and joy, just like we all hope and want it to be. 👍

Well said!

I do wish they'd just let us use standards in photomode already and ditch the "too close, please back up" thing.

I was hoping for personalize paint job and decals and rims can be change on standards. Oh . well maybe next year. After six months i will play this game again.

Underwhelming...

Improved physics is a good start...

Missing leaderboards and online match-making, more online lobby options, more online racing events

You's right. :D
I hope the physics includes the draft especially. Leader boards are a must I think, but this update will get me to at least turn the ps3 on.

I agree with shrunster but many of these should have been in the original game i mean forza 4 is coming very shortly and forza 5 will probably be out b4 we even hear much more about gran turismo 6, so we have to have some primo updates that cater to what gran turismo is all about, and more european and australian cars not just more nissans and the like. Otherwise the Gran Turismo brand will die with Forza being a bit more frequent with updates, and new versions i don't own a XBOX but if the GT brand continues on the same path i will be shifting to Forza and XBOX.

I honestly thought there would be more. THere might be, I have a feeling theres more coming.
This is my position too, though I am very grateful for all the work the team is putting into this game for us.

Otherwise the Gran Turismo brand will die
Sure. I take it you missed the net melting a bit this morning. ;)

You guys all have to realize that we're still going to get a lot more than in the teaser list we have so far.

Awesome! Got to use that!
Even better!
What? I don't need that
If it doesn't have a long intro like the Spec I opening, I'm happy
You mean AI. Okay, can be cool.
• Replay forward/rewind.
Allright then! Can be useful.
Best new feature.
Thank you.
Would be cool if photo's can finally be made with a D-Pad
Will use with the above function
Will use with the 2 fuctions above this one
Use this for Endurance racing.
Isn't this the same as UI?
I don't even care about this. (wast off spac) :indiff:

shurnster
12. tweak all of the premiums to have working clocks and gas fuel's, and mileage

This would be nice to see in spec III

They already have a working milage gage?

Or at least the Mazda RX7 FC 90 does, I was using this for the Japanese Classic seasonal and I noticed it!

You guys all have to realize that we're still going to get a lot more than in the teaser list we have so far.

"Kazunori Yamauchi has been sharing a boatload of new details via Twitter this morning on the previously announced Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 Update coming later this month. Here’s an overview of what we can expect from 2.0, which will be made available to everyone for free:"

:drool:

nooooooo.

Really? :scared:

It makes sense in a lot of ways, but really? This REALLY seems to be the case, but it might just be a miscommunication.

I thought it was much more.

Things I didn't expect (Some of these are not necessarily jaw-dropping, but a nice surprise overall):

- Simplified interior view for all standard cars. I thought we weren't going to see this till GT6.

- 11 new Nascar models. Whether I care or not, I didn't expect this at all. Perhaps there's more to the whole Nascar thing considering we have pit views and all that stuff for photo mode.

- Speaking of photo-mode, I didn't expect the whole driver/car thing photo thing. This may be useless in terms of functionality, but it does give more purpose to the racing gear, especially that there will be DLCs for it. Anything that gives more personalization, I'm up for it.

- New Bonus incentives for consistent log-ins.

- Last but not least, driving physics and imporved A.I.!! Not sure the extent of this, but this is something that's usually seen until the next series (GT6 in this case). This would mean, that the physics would have to be even topped further if there is to be a GT6 this gen.

Things I sort of expected (These are things that I know are confirmed by Kaz, or have seen in previous GT games:

- New RMs (Yay!)

- Improved online features

- Adjusting weather (we did this online so why not)

- Rewind/Fast-Forward - we could do this in GT4, so I was hopeful.

- In-game race saves - it's been confirmed by Kaz some time ago, so of course I expected this.

Now things that I expected, but don't see yet (These are things I thought are reasonable to implement, and had a good chance of appearing):

- More option to sort out garage (at least being able to sort the favorites least)

- Ability to remove HUD in chase-cam on replays

- Upgrade cars to premium (this was confirmed by Kaz as a possibility). Although not in Spec 2.0 update, we'll probably see it as DLC.

*edit

Oh yeah, I forgot.. leaderboards. This is a big, expected feature. I wonder what's up with it? Hope we get it eventually.

Anyway, yeah. All this, and the rest that aren't revealed yet, I'm pretty confident with my response that it was much more than I thought.

Last edited:
shurnster
It's a very awesome update. I appreciate PD for working on these updates. Especially with the endurance race saves with DLC coming soon

If there's going to be a spec III (which I'm sure is going to be the finale before GT6 comes) I think these features should be added:

1. Some standard cars to be upgraded to premiums for free like GT prologue
2. Drive in Convertibles like GT4
3. Leaderboards
4. Day/Night on more tracks
5. Weather on more tracks
5. Photomode interior views
6. More aerodynamics
7. Flag system
8. Ability to choose different interior colors for the premium cars
9. Qualifications (for championships)
10. Free run (with a.i cars cruising around tracks just like in the previous GT's)
11. start grids or roll grids for the selection menu
12. tweak all of the premiums to have working clocks and gas fuel's, and mileage

This would be nice to see in spec III
You can pretty much do #10. Just go to arcade mode, and set the number of laps to infinite. :)

I was expecting :
- Flag system
- Qualifications
- Start from the grid.
so i'm disapointed.
I don't understand, it's a big part of racing and it wouldn't take that much time to add those stuff.

Well, I got the 2 24hr A spec enduro to do, and the 9 hour. Oh, and the 4hr nurb enduro to do, So this has added at least another 61hrs gameplay to GT5 for me. WOW. The only thing that I feel would top it all off (personally) is an A spec event/championship creator with prizes based on length etc. I play GT5 mostly single player and every time a new seasonal or drift trial comes I wet myself lol.
I still have plenty to keep me going though (I am sitting at 0.030 secs away from the GTR nurburgring trophy.....gah).
Feel a tad sorry for people without an internet connection. The difference between the release GT5 and GT5 spec 2.0 seems tremendous. It would be cool if they could provide Spec 2.0 and all previous updates on a disc that those without internet could send off for.....or just knock on a neighbours door and bed them to use theirs to update. I only say this because I know a few people in this situation (they used my internet to update. I'm such a saint lol).
I'm so excited I'm really still taking it all in and my imagination is running wild about DLC too.

Update is great. Hopefully this continues to be the new way for PD. I was however hoping for one thing that was in GT4 and was removed from GT5:Prologue.(see my signature)

Excellent addition for me, even if it simplified it's better than the impression that I'm driving a car sat on it's bonnet.....that is not realistic
not something I care about really
should really have been in from the beginning, but nice to have now
as long as it's better than the original and doesn't use Rap/teen rock ****e
If this means speeding up GT Auto then THANK GOD!! and giving us the ability to skip the car delivery animation then another THANK GOD
• Replay forward/rewind.
Excellent
Excellent
I don't race online so can't comment, I'm not going to begrudge features others my enjoy (unlike some here)
interesting.....bit of fluff tho
more fluff
REALLY? I'd have preferred some DTM premiums or GT1 premiums over MORE NASCARS
No opinion, bit narcissistic if you ask me
If it allows FR cars to "squirm" off the line under power then excellent, If they stop the Ai backing off mid corner when being overtaken then Excellent...I'm hoping.
I have a G25 and happy with it, I'm hoping it fixes my beef with pressing triangle for reversing with sequential shifting, but I'd like to see an improvement to the Rallying and the Red Bull X10 thing, FFB in those are ridiculous

I'm cautiously happy about what PD have said so far.

I'll be ecstatic if they add the following unannounced:

1) Practise and Qualifying in A spec races
2) Ability to set number of laps in A spec races
3) Ability to set tyre physics to "real" in A spec races

Back