E3 2009 Videos and News

I've been watching a few of the different videos from E3 courtesy of G4TV's YouTube page ( http://www.youtube.com/G4TV ). Here are some quick thoughts:

* Super Mario Bros. Wii looks very cool. And I've been disgusted of people who think Nintendo's dead because all they can muster are old Nintendo franchises, including Mr. Nintendo- Mario.

* I've only played Super Mario Galaxy at Walmart stores before. I'm certainly not ready for Super Mario Galaxy 2. Again, same haters thinking this is another way to mooch every last dollar of Mario games.

* I just saw the video bit on DJ Hero. Because 6 billion people don't like any music that isn't rock, people think DJ Hero is going to be a fail. I thought it was an interesting concept. Even more so considering that you can be able to use a Guitar Hero or (maybe) Rock Band controller to use instead of the little DJ unit. Those into breakbeat and hip-hop and stuff like that may find something to love about this. I'm more into the electronic music scene than rock. I can only imagine what kind of action this game will provide. I don't think this game will be a serious success unless people are actually convinced that this game can be every bit as fun and enjoyable as a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game.

Gosh... some people on YouTube. Now you know why I refuse to try and fit in with or tolerate mainstream folks (some YouTube people, in this case).

* Super Mario Bros. Wii looks very cool.
I agree it looks cool, and I love the idea of an old-school platformer style game. But some interviews with Miyamoto had him talking about finding ways to "help" new or younger players that get stuck so they don't have to ask someone else to help them get past it. They are still being vague because it is something they haven't revealed yet, so I think what we have seen so far is not the full game, and that leaves me with only cautious optimism at best.

* I just saw the video bit on DJ Hero. Because 6 billion people don't like any music that isn't rock, people think DJ Hero is going to be a fail. I thought it was an interesting concept. Even more so considering that you can be able to use a Guitar Hero or (maybe) Rock Band controller to use instead of the little DJ unit. Those into breakbeat and hip-hop and stuff like that may find something to love about this. I'm more into the electronic music scene than rock. I can only imagine what kind of action this game will provide. I don't think this game will be a serious success unless people are actually convinced that this game can be every bit as fun and enjoyable as a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game.

DJ Hero seems like it's going to be a let down for me, I was expecting DJ's in the sense of dance music (i.e. Tiesto, Oakenfold, etc.) but it seems like it's more hip hop. I'll just have to wait till the release date gets closer.

DJ Hero seems like it's going to be a let down for me, I was expecting DJ's in the sense of dance music (i.e. Tiesto, Oakenfold, etc.) but it seems like it's more hip hop. I'll just have to wait till the release date gets closer.
The gameplay video I saw yesterday had a guy on guitar playing some Foo Fighters while the DJ was mixing it with Beatie Boys. Sounded pretty sweet.

Found it:

I'm not sure if I will like playing it, but I am glad to see it allows mixing with Guitar Hero gameplay at the same time.

Eh maybe it's better than I think it is, I hope so since I think I would enjoy a game where I can DJ more than a game where I beat on plastic drums.

Eh maybe it's better than I think it is, I hope so since I think I would enjoy a game where I can DJ more than a game where I beat on plastic drums.
I have a feeling that much like the full band games it is what you make it into. I know people who just use Rock Band as a karaoke game, others who just use it for drums.

DJ Hero could be something where you can either just play rap like you do rock on Guitar Hero, or it could be a mixing game, or whatever aspect of DJing you want to make it. Needless to say though, I think I see a lot more Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park (can any of these guys spell?) songs coming out as DLC.

The gameplay video I saw yesterday had a guy on guitar playing some Foo Fighters while the DJ was mixing it with Beatie Boys. Sounded pretty sweet.

Found it:

I'm not sure if I will like playing it, but I am glad to see it allows mixing with Guitar Hero gameplay at the same time.

You mean scratching?

Joey D, I think the G4 interview did mention something along the lines of more downloadable content. Imagine if there were sequels to this. You and I are dance music fans, so here's some good ideas (hypothetical names):

* "DJ Hero: DJ Tiesto"
* "DJ Hero: Paul Van Dyk vs. Paul Oakenfold" <<< would be a GREAT sequel or a downloadable package
* "DJ Hero: Kickin' it Old School" (like classic breakbeat, house, and hip-hop)

Yes... also imagine if "boss battles" were in DJ Hero. You could take on Grandmasters and some of the best DJ's past and present.

I'll need to watch some more videos on using the Guitar Hero guitar controller to do... DJ scratching? I don't think it's going to be that bad. To me, those who unconditionally love music will find something to love about DJ Hero, even if most people won't listen to or play any music that isn't some form of rock music. It may be a let down, but at least this is something different from rock. People always complained to me that I hate certain things just because they are different. I mean, I grew up with hip-hop. I then loved the really good dance music of the '90s. So this is something I'd actually play.

I definately love DJ Hero. I only played a little of Guitar Hero and loved it and always something like this for Dance music so I'm stoked to see it.

YouTube has been slowing down considerably lately. Maybe it's high traffic, maybe it's something else, but it's slowing down for me. I was able to check out that video my Kentucky Wildcat friend, FoolKiller posted. While I'm not real big on rock music, with a good beat, rock sounds pretty cool with an electronic dance or trance edge. I greatly respect the Beastie Boys. Maybe a dance/rock convergence would help push this game better. That's a great video.

I'm all for plastic guitar games, however not so much for plastic turn table games. $60 for the game, ~$100 for the controller... I'm half way for one of these:

CDJ400_front_large.jpg

I can do it for real with music I want to play and not what Activision thinks is "dance" music.

Oh yeah... check out giantbomb.com for awesome E3 coverage. By far the best... way better than gametrailer's cesspool.

Last edited:
Back