Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.07 Now Available: Tire and Progression Bugs Addressed

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,149 comments
I'm just venting here and I know it's already been said but as someone who grew up with Gran Turismo, well I literally feel sick to the stomach. I mean slashing win credits purely to try and push us to buy more of those ridiculously priced Microtransactions? I mean surely Kaz and Polyphony must feel some form of embarrassment? Well I guess they don't while they sit back in their big nice comfy houses watching us peasants who struggle. It's a disgrace, I'm not going to pick up GT7 and yeah I might just be one person not buying the game but at least I have my dignity. I'm not supporting this in anyway at all and yeah I'm upset because I bloody love Gran Turismo and I was really excited and looking forward to playing GT7.

Well, it's specifically asking people for a rating. Lots of people giving it a zero - if you want to take that as a serious reflection of the game, that's up to you. I personally don't, and that's up to me.
Like I said, it's about how people feel about the game. It's asking for a rating, and people are answering with how they feel. No, it's not an objective assessment of the quality of the game because these aren't professional reviewers. It is an accurate rating of how people playing the game feel about it. A zero may be an honest answer to how the game is making them feel right now - and that's something that's on Polyphony and Sony.

People are mad, and it's not without reason.

An 87% game that makes people feel like a 40% game is probably something that warrants looking into if you're a potential purchaser, because clearly something has gone on there. If you want to ignore it so that you can focus on the 87% then do what you like, but the user reviews aren't without their own meaning. It's just not the meaning that you want to assign to them.

Even Elden Ring, a masterpiece of a game and current frontrunner for game of the year, has a similar thing going on with user scores because of the abysmal optimisation of the game. It remains an amazing game, but the 67% user score on a 95% game should make people go and look at what's caused that before purchase because the shaky frame rates may be a deal breaker for them.
The game is playable offline.
Technically, yes.

Practically, the parts of the game that everyone wants to play are very much not playable offline. Most of it. People wouldn't buy the game just to play the bits that are offline accessible.

Metacritic might be an important tool, it's unfortunate that the way users try and wield that tool undermines it's use for most people.
I have a fundamental problem with ratings, and it's that having a scale of 0-10 is just not a very good way of scoring anything. It's an 11 point scale, which is not intuitive at all, and there's so many in-between scores that no-one can objectively explain. What's the difference between a 3 and a 4, or a 6 and a 7?

If it were just a five point scale;

1 Awful
2 Bad
3 Average
4 Good
5 Excellent

You'd get a lot more intuitive scores.

Wow, I'm now at work again and the server is still in maintenance mode. It's really long.

Honestly, as bothered I am about the MTs and all, I'm now a bit curious on what they're working on. Like what could it be? It feels like they're doing an overhaul on something rather than a minor fix.

I’ll be in work in a 4 hours too, hoping it’s not back in while I’m there for 8 hours 😂🙈 but im sure gonna love being sat on this while im waiting 😂

I have a fundamental problem with ratings, and it's that having a scale of 0-10 is just not a very good way of scoring anything. It's an 11 point scale, which is not intuitive at all, and there's so many in-between scores that no-one can objectively explain. What's the difference between a 3 and a 4, or a 6 and a 7?

If it were just a five point scale;

1 Awful
2 Bad
3 Average
4 Good
5 Excellent

You'd get a lot more intuitive scores.
You even have some text in there.
Created a metacritic account just to post this review. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to not only make the game always online, but then also make it near impossible to grind out for high-end vehicles without forking over ridiculous amounts of real world cash for in-game currency? Screw microtransactions.

Shame on you Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo 7 isn't a F2P game.

I get the same message

A57F759A-E8D4-418C-B852-FF273A6E025D.jpeg

ITS DOWN and has been for over a day.. wish people would read previous comments 🤦🏼‍♂️

B80
yeah I'm same as you, fortunate to have ps5 and series x. FH5 and Fm22 took me away from RDR2...

some have suggested playing single player games on 'easy' to blast through stories, tempted to try it on horizon, but always play normal usually...

said same thing to a colleague, great time to be a gamer. work and life gets in the way :D
I don’t even want a PS5 yet. 😁 That thing is ugly, clumsy and way too big (I really liked the design of the PS4 Pro, can’t believe they stepped so far away from that and made something so bulky). And the only 2 PS exclusive games I’m interested in (GT7 and Forbidden West) can be played on my PS4 Pro. Nah, I’ll just wait for a PS5 Pro Slim PSVR2 bundle or something in a couple of years.

Absolutely do not - I repeat - DO NOT play Horizon Zero Dawn on easy difficulty to blast through the story. I perfectly understand the idea behind it (and I did that with some games before too) but Zero Dawn is definitely not the game for it. A big - no - a MASSIVE part of the fun of the game is how scary it is to walk around in the dark hoping you don’t draw any attention. I’m not into horror games at all but Zero Dawn is the only open world game I played before where I can get scared or afraid, especially in the dark. The AI in the game is brilliant as well and adds to you getting scared at some point. And the first time you bring down that sawtooth, or later the bigger machines after a big long fight feels so rewarding, you will completely miss out on that by playing the game on easy.

For me, I just play ZD on normal difficulty, I’m not the best gamer and my old aging aim ain’t the best, but I feel this is right where it should be.

edit - the machines need to feel threatening, that’s for me a big part of the fun. If they are a walk over then it’s just a tourist mode to speed through the map and story - imo don’t do that. And it’s also fun as you play more and become better, the smaller machines do start to feel like a walk over. You feel yourself becoming more and more skilful and stronger as you progress though the game. That isolated sawtooth that was so scary early in the game, well later you come at a point where you have 2 sawtooths and some watchers together at some ruins and you think “ok, it’s just 2 sawtooths and some watchers, let’s do this”. There is something that’s absolutely fenomenal in seeing yourself grow stronger and more skillfull if you play through the game on a challenging difficulty. Horizon Zero Dawn does that in a way I have never experienced in any other game.

Also, the AI is great and needing different tactics to defeat different machines (exploiting their weak points) is extremely fun as well.

Last edited:
GMW
This would have been much more acceptable had they let us have access to our garage. At least then I would be able to drive and test out all the cars I've won/bought and tuned.
“Would have been”? I just posted that you can actually use your garage and tuned cars. I’ve been doing that all night. I posted pages ago that all my tuned parts are on the car. Even aftermarket wheels. Just the liveries aren’t fitted, due to being offline.

Like I said, it's about how people feel about the game. It's asking for a rating, and people are answering with how they feel. No, it's not an objective assessment of the quality of the game because these aren't professional reviewers. It is an accurate rating of how people playing the game feel about it. A zero may be an honest answer to how the game is making them feel right now - and that's something that's on Polyphony and Sony.

People are mad, and it's not without reason.

An 87% game that makes people feel like a 40% game is probably something that warrants looking into if you're a potential purchaser, because clearly something has gone on there. If you want to ignore it so that you can focus on the 87% then do what you like, but the user reviews aren't without their own meaning. It's just not the meaning that you want to assign to them.

Even Elden Ring, a masterpiece of a game and current frontrunner for game of the year, has a similar thing going on with user scores because of the abysmal optimisation of the game. It remains an amazing game, but the 67% user score on a 95% game should make people go and look at what's caused that before purchase because the shaky frame rates may be a deal breaker for them.

Technically, yes.

Practically, the parts of the game that everyone wants to play are very much not playable offline. Most of it. People wouldn't buy the game just to play the bits that are offline accessible.
Right, but we’ve got members maybe not aware, they can still use their garage cars, whilst they rant. At least players can use cars other than the default cars. If only for Time Trual and Drift Trial. That’s if they choose to.

Wow, I'm now at work again and the server is still in maintenance mode. It's really long.

Honestly, as bothered I am about the MTs and all, I'm now a bit curious on what they're working on. Like what could it be? It feels like they're doing an overhaul on something rather than a minor fix.
I can only guess, but if the update/fix might have caused mayor issues that nobody expected, it could be quite messy restoring lost data or something like that. They probably have to take a backup version and create a new patch from this, which doesnt cause issues/damage. 🤔

Last edited:
GT2 had a bug that prevented players from achieving 100 percent completion.

To be accurate, the game displayed the wrong percentage - it was still possible to complete everything and have it recorded. It was also limited to the early runs of the game for Japan, the US, and Canada, with the rest of the world never affected by it. Replacing the disc would show the correct percentage, although as my region was never affected I don't know if there was an option for Sony to replace it like with some other physical games with bugs, short of re-buying the game.

There's quite a big difference between that percentage issue, which only affected players in certain regions who bought the game early and were dedicated enough to try to complete every single event, and some of the modern problems like FH5's unstable launch and GT7's current downtime, both of which affect all players during all gameplay. Bugs on a disc are more permanent for sure, but they were also much less common.

Still most hated exclusive is probably TLOU2 - 67000+ negative reviews. Looks like GT is not that popular. Sony likes high emotions. :D

Let's be honest: the lack of communication bothers you the most.

Many, including myself, would feel less annoyed if PD simply said, "Guys, this **** is brewing for reason XYZ, the servers are expected to be available again by Sunday evening. We'll keep you posted."

So it feels like I'm waiting for a technician right now. "Please keep Monday to Friday free for the whole of March lol"
And then they show up on the second Sunday in May.

Is it seriously still in maintenance mode? Wow. I wanted to get a car before the idiotic invitation deadline, and now I can't even do that. Hands down the worst gran turismo launch ever. This game is a joke at this point

Driveclub got a bad rep for its launch but I had an absolute blast playing that game even with the issues, because at least in that case, I could

Scores at the limits of a scale are, IMHO, almost unavoidably not reasoned or balanced.

I don't really value PR in any industry, it may contain facts, but again it's never going to balanced or reasoned. I'm an advocate for researching purchases before you make them and I think most people understand that PR will only ever paint a one-sided picture.

Metacritic might be an important tool, it's unfortunate that the way users try and wield that tool undermines it's use for most people.
how do you research before official release though, when the information you can go for is provided by the company that wants to sell their product and is not only rosetinted but in part actually untrue

you know a simple trick to use metacritic?

add the critic and user score and divide by 2. this more often than not cancels out the unwarranted high and low scores of a game...

in gt7's case: 8.7 critic rating + 3.8 user rating = 6.25

GT7 isn't the first game to be an always online game without any real need to be so. It's becoming a standard "feature" in modern games since it makes it easier for the developers to create more dynamic games that doesn't rely on updates to change content etc.

The problem is that there isn't a consumer protection to be found that leaves the player with a proper game when the servers are shutdown.

To be accurate, the game displayed the wrong percentage - it was still possible to complete everything and have it recorded. It was also limited to the early runs of the game for Japan, the US, and Canada, with the rest of the world never affected by it. Replacing the disc would show the correct percentage, although as my region was never affected I don't know if there was an option for Sony to replace it like with some other physical games with bugs, short of re-buying the game.

There's quite a big difference between that percentage issue, which only affected players in certain regions who bought the game early and were dedicated enough to try to complete every single event, and some of the modern problems like FH5's unstable launch and GT7's current downtime, both of which affect all players during all gameplay. Bugs on a disc are more permanent for sure, but they were also much less common.
Of course. I wasn't trying to compare them, simply tried to point out that older disc based games weren't as flawless as the poster I quoted made them sound. No more no less really.

But anyway thanks for the bit of info, shows how long it has been since I really played GT2.

It really isn't. It's just that the hamsters running the servers got tired that's the issue.
Thats only the functional part.

• Low race payouts
  • Pushing towards mtx
  • Always online for Single Player
  • Altering ingame mechanics AFTER reviews
  • No communication whatsoever

THOSE are key factors in killing this franchise. And to be fair, they're doing a pretty decent job right now.

At this day and age, I'm really surprised to see a service provider (because that's what Poliphony is) to be silent about an issue that prevent your customers using the service you should be providing.

I don't know much about Japanese culture, but I find this really strange.

**** happens all the time in software development. And nobody is asking they for a deep assesment of what has gone wrong, but a word wouldn't go amiss: "Guys, things got out of hand in a hardware upgrade we had tested but that behaved differently once we tried in production. We are working hard to fix it at the moment, but we can't really make promises about a timeframe for resuming services. We ask for your patiente until a further update where we can confortably talk about a deadline".

Last edited:
Back