GTP NASCAR Nationwide Series // Season Report/Points // Champions!

• Thread starter Chqr
  • 1,868 comments

Should we race at SSRX this season?

• Yes

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well then there's the:

H.M.S. Crazy Bassist 83 (carrier)
H.M.S. Mudd (cruiser)
H.M.S. DoWhat13 (destroyer)
H.M.S. DriveTheGuard88 (destroyer)

Edit: And none of these ships are sinking!!!

:bowdown: I think someone owes me and Mudd an apology :embarrassed:

Easy, Ken. That's one practice session. I'm glad he did good, but he's still got a ways to go to earn back the respect of these guys, let's hope he remembers that and keeps up the good work.

Any information on RCR's Sprint Cup entries this weekend?

Finally the time has come... my first Indy round, I'm feeling confident for that place. It fits me much better than Daytona.

Any information on RCR's Sprint Cup entries this weekend?

Finally the time has come... my first Indy round, I'm feeling confident for that place. It fits me much better than Daytona.

I think either Mudd or I will take a seat in either the 2010 #48 or our own 2011 Sprint Cup Cars (#24 or #88). We will know more Friday or last minute Saturday before the race.

I'd like to run at Indy, it's just too early in the week for me to say for sure if I can. At this time I am planning on it, though.

Easy, Ken. That's one practice session. I'm glad he did good, but he's still got a ways to go to earn back the respect of these guys, let's hope he remembers that and keeps up the good work.

Agreed. It's only one practice, and with a very limited number of cars on track. We had him watch us run about 20 laps first, then let him join after giving him very specific instructions not to pass, just to follow. But, so far, so good.

Saturday is going to be one hell of a scrap, 40 laps is a very short race 👍

I think we were doing high 53s solo and high 51s with two cars pushing.

What sort of lap times are people getting? (it'll give us an idea of the race length) :)

Unless I'm remembering wrong, solo times are somewhere around 53.5 seconds.

Should take about 35 minutes for the race.

Depend on how hard your running. On my own I'm run low 53's and can push to 51 flats. I think it should be a little longer IMO.

We run a variety of race lengths at Daytona and Indy, because we race at these venues multiple times per season. There are longer Indy races coming. :)

We run a variety of race lengths at Daytona and Indy, because we race at these venues multiple times per season. There are longer Indy races coming. :)

Yep, the 200 mile Indy race is Round 10 👍

MustangRyan
This is true. JGR's Nationwide team held a practice at Indy last night. Fellow Toyota team driver Jakob from Red Bull Racing was also in attendance. Jakob did a good job of exhibiting patience, sharing the track, staying in line, and pushing. He was able to follow the group well, maintaining a pace that should yield competitive results on race day. 👍

That's good to hear. Sorry I couldn't make it myself, though :(

My best Indy time has been 53.390.

Are there interviews this week? ^^

Sure, I'll do some ASAP and integrate them into my race preview for this week. It should be a running thing, may need reminding occasionally though :lol:

Sure, I'll do some ASAP and integrate them into my race preview for this week. It should be a running thing, may need reminding occasionally though :lol:

I knew we were missing something this week. Get on it tom 👍

I'm interviewing a few people a week, you'll all get interviewed at some point. I'll direct a lot of questions to team owners and a few to the drivers 👍

Just looking OP's Chq, awesome job mate. Very professional 👍

EDIT : Tom, when doing your writeup of Speedweeks, see how you can squeeze in what's going on here.

I mean, four different leagues and seasons (Sprint, NNS, Indycar and Trucks - and maybe IROC) all with a massive core of dedicated racers throughout the leagues, intermingling in an all out Amercan Motor Sport frenzy.

Right here, on GTP and potentially throughout GT5, we own the American Motor Sports leagues, and the place to be for top quality racing.

Leave the rest to you, but we all know we'd like to see that in a magazine 👍

Last edited:
Just looking OP's Chq, awesome job mate. Very professional 👍

EDIT : Tom, when doing your writeup of Speedweeks, see how you can squeeze in what's going on here.

I mean, four different leagues and seasons (Sprint, NNS, Indycar and Trucks - and maybe IROC) all with a massive core of dedicated racers throughout the leagues, intermingling in an all out Amercan Motor Sport frenzy.

Right here, on GTP and potentially throughout GT5, we own the American Motor Sports leagues, and the place to be for top quality racing.

Leave the rest to you, but we all know we'd like to see that in a magazine 👍

Don't worry man, I'll try and make it as descriptive and generally awesome as possible. If any of you have any quality pictures you think would go with the article, feel free to send them over 👍

Race preview has been sent over to Chqr so it should be up tomorrow, clocks in at an impressive 734 words! :lol:

Indy 100 Race Preview

This weekend the Nationwide Series teams arrive in Indiana for round 2 of the championship, the Indy 100 from Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The 2.5 miles of track here are steeped in history and the track is the spiritual home of IndyCar, but NASCAR has been an annual visitor since the 1990’s. After the 300 mile test of endurance that was the DRIVE4COPD300, all of the teams will be happy for some light relief in the form of this relatively short contest. With only 40 laps to play with, the pit window and qualifying position will be equally important as it is much harder to pass at Indy than at it’s higher speed cousin, Daytona and you’ll have just over half an hour to make those passes. Despite the fact many drivers are running the Daytona 500 on the same day, the grid is still looking strong which is a testament to the commitment of some of the guys involved. Here’s your team news for this week….

Richard Childress Racing – It was a weekend of ups and downs at Daytona for the RCR team; Smuffy in the #88 and Carbonox in the #24 finished 2nd and 4th respectively which helped the team to the top of the owners table, but rookie driver Dave May has been parked for the remainder of the season due to reckless driving leaving an open seat at RCR. Team owner, Crazy, said that Sprint Cup drivers from Hendrick Motorsport would be filling in the #48 car throughout the season and when questioned about whether the loss of Dave May would affect the team he said “I think the loss of Dave May will be overlooked as RCR is on top of the owners points”. He also seemed pleased that Smuffy and Carbonox were in good stead in the drivers championship.

JR Motorsports – Even the Florida sunshine couldn’t lighten the mood in the JR camp after the 300 as all three drivers, Chqr, Trynor and reserve driver, Harry Payne were forced to retire from the race due to mechanical failures. I asked team director Knelly if he still believed in the team, he replied, “Absolutely, mechanical failure and illness made the opener disastrous for SGR, but we have fixed the solution and are now all fighting fit, ready for Indy”. JR have also stated they are looking at a podium finish or better at Indy.

Rick Ware Racing – It was a solid opening round for RWR who have slotted quietly into second place in the owners championship. Joe came through a challenging race to finish on the podium and the #99 car picked up 5th place; unfortunately the Portuguese full time driver, Filipe, had to retire due to transmission issues. The Ford powered team will be hoping that the issues with the car won’t have the chance to affect the Portuguese rookie in such a short race.

Red Bull Racing – It was also a mixed weekend for the Red Bull team. Team owner, Mule, took an amazing and well deserved win at Daytona but full time driver Jazza was forced to retire early. Mule played down the importance of having more than one full time driver in a post-race press conference; he said that he and Jakob would be making many of the races so the team still has a chance at the owners championship. He also said of his victory, “Well, it just goes to show that if everything goes right, almost anyone on that grid can win at Daytona”.

Joe Gibbs Racing – JGR had a fairly quiet race with all 3 drivers finishing mid-pack; Cowboys, Drop and Fastfox finished 6th, 7th and 9th respectively even though Fastfox had to park up after 90 laps. When asked how his first race as a NASCAR rookie had gone, Cowboys simply pushed the camera away; we can only deduce that he was unhappy with his performance. Fastfox on the other hand seemed confident that he could improve on his disappointing Daytona performance when we spoke to him as the JGR trucks rolled into the Indianapolis track today; “I'm feeling great about being at Indy. The JGR #11 is fast and is handling like a dream”.

Remember to tune into the race, live and uninterrupted on Reflex TV. The channel will be on air shortly before the green flag at 19:00GMT (15:00 Eastern).

Tom McDonald – Nationwide Series Co-Race Director

Back