Shootings and explosions in Paris.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 915 comments
Can someone explain why the muslim brothers and sisters of UAE, Saudi Arabia & Yemen & Oman are not opening their borders for Syrian refugee's?

Saudi and Oman have taken over 100,000 between them, people are fleeing Yemen rather than seeking refuge there, the UAE are running a massive support program for displaced Syrians. Perhaps the onus is on you to explain why you think that isn't enough?

You haven't given it any thought yet? :dopey:

I think we've been over it a number of times, no? Some people would like to think that there's a link between refugees and placed terror cells. One is entirely independent of the other, using mass migration as a vehicle would be a crap plan. AQ, ISIS et al are too well funded and too clever, there are far easier ways to place and recruit cells. The only people I regularly see claiming a causative link are the numbskull tabloids and their sheeple.

The same question that has been asked lately in many mosques and by many Imams here in the UK. However, whilst I can speculate as to why they do not I cannot say because I simply do not know for certain. Possibly political, as usual? Nevertheless, they SHOULD be helping, regardless of whether the refugees are Muslim or not.

Ok, just one nutcase Imam, but i guess he won't be the only one preaching this...

Can someone explain why the muslim brothers and sisters of UAE, Saudi Arabia & Yemen & Oman are not opening their borders for Syrian refugee's?

...Y'know, funny you ask that, my mother during this morning's breakfast meeting asked the very same thing, to no one in particular.

The evacuation at the Hotel is a false alarm. Police went room to room but turned out to be false alarm. The evacuation was understandably a precautionary measure.

Ok, just one nutcase Imam, but i guess he won't be the only one preaching this...

Wow... just wow. What a lunatic. On that note,
1) An Imam in Al Aqsa should at the very least be wearing at least a hat on his head. I mean come on.
2) He is wrong wrong wrong, and no Imam should even utter some of the words he has said.
3) He should be thrown our of Al Aqsa for the way he is trying to sow hatred.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2004/10/12/ignorance-is-no-excuse/

Check that link out (written by an Author) just so prove how wrong that "Sheikh" is. Only some of that article is relevant (the first couple of paragraphs). Also, in an earlier post in this thread by me I link to one of my other posts in another thread. If you want to take a gander at that mate, it will also highlight how wrong this guy is.

And now having seen the information from @TenEightyOne's post about how the UAE and Saudi And Oman ARE doing something, it seems I fell foul of bad media or lack of knowledge there myself. But maybe they should be doing more, or maybe the media should be showing them in the same light as the fantastic work by all of our countries here.

Their whole model is built on appealing to disaffected youth who feel that Western society has actively tried to marginalise them. ISIL present themselves as creating a state where people are free to worship on their own terms and without being subject to the tyranny imposed upon them by a West that assumes that their way of life is better.

Now, we know that that's not true, but ISIL aren't appealing to us. They're appealing to impressionable young men by offering them what they want. In that way, they're exactly the same as a street gang. So don't look to 1940s Europe for the solution - look to 1990s Los Angeles.
Sorry dragging up a relatively old post, but I found the comparison between ISIL and current street gangs interesting. I think you are right in stating that they have many similarities, and that the approach needed to combat ISIL is closer to that of combating a street gang than to waging war on a country.

However, I don't know if looking to how L.A. gang culture has been handled provides the best example. Since the 1990's, the street level violence, ie gang banging, has subsided, but many of the gangs have become more structured and more militant. They have managed to increase their revenue streams, and as a result, have managed to both increase and enhance their weapons stockpiles, to the point where fully automatic weapons and assault riffles are considered the norm. The gangs have also dramatically increased their recruitment techniques, to the point where we have active gang members as national celebrities, and gang culture parading as pop culture. So in those regards, I don't know if I would call the efforts to combat American street gangs entirely successful.

In a situation like this, as hard as the pill may be to swallow, I don't feel that more violence or retaliation will bring about a positive outcome. I agree with you when you say that the number one way to combat this evil is to fight radicalization of young men. This is a mental excercise, not a physical one.

Along with fighting radicalization on an intellectual level, if we have any hope of stopping or subsiding the violence, I think we need to start taking long hard looks at all the players involved in this conflict, and other similar ones.

There is a line in urban culture which relates to inner city violence.
"Ain't no Uzis made in Harlem." The underlying message of the line is that somewhere, somebody is benefiting from the violence.

As far as I'm aware, the majority of the weapons being used in this conflict are not manufactured by ISIL. Now I realise that these groups get their hands on weapons through a variety of means and sources, but at some point, somewhere along the line, somebody(s) or some group(s) is benefitting from these events.

I think if we're going to find a way out of this mess, we need to find a way to identify who is benefitting from this, and put pressure on them to stop their practices. Multiple times easier said than done, and truth be told, more of an abstract concept that has been running through my head, brought to the forfront by your comments on the gangs.

Just to clarify to anyone reading this, please don't take my comments as an attempt to introduce either a gun control or hair brained illuminati element into this discussion, that is absolutely not my intent. I'd just like to dodge that bullet before its fired.

Sad :(.

I agree with others that the tweets were insensitive and extremely ill timed.

On top of that however, I think there is another element of sadness hidden within this story, and that is the rather deplorable state of local media outlets (at least in North America).

Judging from the tone of the tweets, their seems to be a shared frustration with the local media, which seems to be a rather ongoing issue. Unfortunately, this event, and the subsequent coverage of it, may have been the straw that broke the camel's back for some of these people.

I can only look at my own local news outlets as an example, but they are pretty much trash. They report weather, traffic, local fluff pieces, and when it happens, breaking world news (which is just recycled footage from the big networks). Local issues are only reported on when they are somewhat shock worthy.

Another member gave account of their experience listening to the BBC coverage, and how appalling and overwhelming it was.

I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who may have been dealing with the KKK for a lengthy period of time, witnessing little to no local news coverage of the situation, and then seeing my local news station switch to extended 100% coverage of an event on the other side of the world. I'm not at all arguing that the tweets were in good taste, but I do think I can understand the frustration some of those people may be feeling.

They'll just come up with other reasons to attack us, such as us being a decadent society whose way of life needs to be destroyed, for example.

I'm really beginning to think the only way to rid the world of this radical Islamist movement is by completely destroying it as we did with Nazis. Which invariably means exposing ourselves to retaliation; it'll have to hurt before it gets better.

Watch the first 15 minutes:

Sorry if this was mentioned already in the thread, it's been a long day...

Gatwick Airport has fully reopened after today's security alert, police are saying that a 41 year old French national is being questioned about a firearm that was discovered. No confirmation that it is/isn't related to Paris but the timing seems suspicious, of course.

A man was hit by a bomb fragment and it was stopped by his phone.
Really lucky.
wEzT2s1gokc.jpg

I know the "profile pic change" thing is to show solidarity, but I'm not going to pretend like I care, then completely forget about what happened two months later and change the picture back to the original one. I feel awful for the victims, but the tragedy does not personally affect me or anyone in my family. If it did, then I would change it.

The pages I'm talking about in particular are the ones that steal content from others, label it as their own, and pretend like they aren't doing anything wrong. Some pages get paid through promotions "Hey guys! There's this FREE app out you should try called...!" or sponsored by putting a product into their Vines (No disclosure either, but that's a rant for another day). Then, there's the ones who immediately jump onto a tragedy and send out the "1 like = 1 pray" posts you always see. Those make my blood boil because they are exploiting the suffering and kindness of others (Albeit, gullible kindness for thinking a "like" will solve the problems of a tragedy) to gain attention for their page.

They're not worth your frustration. Use FB rarely, it's great not having to know other people's opinions. They're usually not much better than your own. 👍

They're not worth your frustration. Use FB rarely, it's great not having to know other people's opinions. They're usually not much better than your own. 👍

It's just one of the only ways I know what's going on with my friends now that I'm out of college, and most of my friends that have graduated are in a different college.

No... sadly accidents do happen during testing, particularly in high speed tests. If it had happened near to Paris on an actual train service then it might make more sense to suspect a bomb. I think this was just a sad coincidence.
I'm not sure of anything and about how geniune these photos are, but look:

Edit: the second one is probably just dust from the crashed train, but the first is suspicious. Smokes right at the bridge ends?..

@Rage Racer , if the train was coming from the right of the pic and derailed at speed then that's the exit point, we're told it caught fire in the derailment impact... so that photo is plausible I think. I admit the timing is coincidental but there's no report of an alert that far from Paris and I tend to think that rather than attacking a test train with 40 engineers aboard it would have been far easier (and more desirable, perhaps) for ISIS to attack the EuroStar service from Paris to London, for example.

British public, politicians and military stand at a cross road. We are currently the second biggest contributor to the western alliance strikes on Daesh and providing intelligence assets, but we can do more.

But, to do more risks 2 things. Casualties and retaliation. The British public is still reeling from the hurt of Afghan/Iraq, the British army is still rebuilding after huge cuts, and the Navy/Airforce are waiting for long-delayed equipment. The government knows thay it could loose the next election on the topic of war alone, and that it cannot balance the books whilst spending huge sums on war.

But similarly it will be impossible to wipe out Daesh without complete control handed to strong, regional government and security forces which rely on western support. It won't be a short mission.

My head is with those harmed in Paris, but my head knows there are no simple ways forward.

This has been a terrible tragedy and my thoughts are with Paris and everyone affected. France is resilient, and she will have the strength and courage to get through this.

Vive la France!

I know the "profile pic change" thing is to show solidarity, but I'm not going to pretend like I care, then completely forget about what happened two months later and change the picture back to the original one. I feel awful for the victims, but the tragedy does not personally affect me or anyone in my family. If it did, then I would change it.
Same. It doesn't help the situation any, so why bother?

Really lucky.
wEzT2s1gokc.jpg

Reminds me of that solider who was shot in the chest luckily right where his iPod was, it stopped the whole bullet! Freak incidents for sure but tremendously lucky.

As for the train derailment they are reporting 5 people have been killed. Gosh can this weekend get any worse for France.:indiff:

Saudi and Oman have taken over 100,000 between them, people are fleeing Yemen rather than seeking refuge there, the UAE are running a massive support program for displaced Syrians. Perhaps the onus is on you to explain why you think that isn't enough?
Probably because countries like Jordan and Turkey are carrying a refugee load about 150 and 20x higher respectively, based on GDP.

I think we've been over it a number of times, no? Some people would like to think that there's a link between refugees and placed terror cells. One is entirely independent of the other, using mass migration as a vehicle would be a crap plan. AQ, ISIS et al are too well funded and too clever, there are far easier ways to place and recruit cells. The only people I regularly see claiming a causative link are the numbskull tabloids and their sheeple.
Ahhh, the old no true Scotsman fallacy I believe. Haven't seen that in a while. Please explain why using mass migration as cover to get terrorists into the country is a bad plan. Keep it simple so the sheeple and numbskulls can understand it though.

@Johnnypenso

While ISIS through refugees may be a possibility, its not the only possibility ISIS has.

There are possibility that ISIS recruits regular folks who live in France already and since ISIS is basically reaches international, they may sent a foreign ISIS members directly to France ala classic terrorist plan.

I just going to ask you this:
1. Do you blame entire refugees for small percentage who really proven to be terrorist?
2. Do you really think they recruit people to ISIS only on this way?
3. I suspect you didnt like with all these Syrian refugees situation, yes? If so what advice and better option will you make for Syrian citizens which their place got torn up by war?

Damn, it was just yesterday night when I happened to know about the terrorist attacks in Paris that claimed 129 people after getting back home, and I'm really pissed off to see how hard it is to live peacefully in this world for us having always bad people instilled with radical political / religious thoughts that someone has to be justified with their murder for some reason in retaliation in the name of their Gods, and easily resort to violent forces to actually "eliminate" these people for reorganization of the world in accordance with what they imagine as being the "ideal" status.

Enough ridiculous to see though, that in Japan our medias hardly reported on this tragedy and instead kept broadcasting loads of silly gourmet reports about popular restaurants / cafes in the country and overseas alongside some programmes of short comedies as if seemingly they are pretending to be "oblivious" and are turning a blind eye to what is actually happening, that has to come up much in priority to let people know what the world is actually about... And I think this is one of the primary reasons why Japanese media has been condemned for years for not being very active in showing all the news that are of much more significance for people to grasp more objectively and reasonably the current events in the world, and to form more accurate view on it without being way too partial to one side of point of view from one particular region of the world...
(In Japanese it's called "マスゴミ"("Masu-gomi", which is a coined term of Japanese mass-media(マスメディア) and "Gomi(ゴミ)" meaning like "crap" or "garbage" in the Japanese language, and this is why I prefer watching news from foreign TV channels over just counting on what Japanese medias broadcast in their news). :D

P.S. Oh and, I'm feeling really sorry for Mr.S, who lost as many as 5 friends of his wife's cousin in the attacks of these scatterbrained numbskulls. :(

Really lucky.
wEzT2s1gokc.jpg

Yeah I see how lucky he was because he was saved his life thanks to his smartphone, in the interview he said "Thanks to my cellphone I was barely intact from the explosions that happened just in front of me, without it my head and body would've been blasted into shreds with the explosion and possible bullet-pumping by the terrorists with weapons such as AK47 and hand grenades."

And about the derailment of TGV in Strasbourg, Yes I know that but I don't suppose it's related to the terrorist attacks in Paris as the city is far away from the center of the country, and BBS has been reporting it that way as well.

Last edited:
The preaching of hatred, and killing in the name of any god is so Middle Ages...

These stupid homo have not evoluated since... So sad and scary.

Has nothing to do with affecting people on a personal level, or people "pretending" they care.

It's showing respect & that France is in everyone's thoughts. Same as countries around the world showcasing landmarks in French colors.

Saudi Arabia itself claims they have let 100,000 Syrians in. However, this small number may be due to the fact that these people receive free education, healthcare, & employment opportunities. Another source claims they have taken in 2.5 million over the past few years, but most of those are considered foreign workers.

It is assumed these countries have been quiet because they either have heavy Islam-influences that the refugees don't want to interact with (which isn't a stretch considering the reports of refugees crying about their temp. homes not being up to what they believe are ideal locations), or consider themselves next door to the conflict & do not want to get involved any more than that. Some articles standing up for the Gulf States countries ask why there is no backlash against the Eastern Asian countries or Russia not taking in large share of refugees. I would assume if true, based on their history, that East Asia simply does not let the world's views affect their own citizens' lives.

Back