Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Twin Turbo AMUSE 380RS Superleggera has over 500HP, stock weight - no engine or chassis swap, medium aero and only 550PP, low 2:22s at Suzuka with comfort soft :D Maybe can be used for reference ? What's the time for LFA at Suzuka with comfort soft at 550PP ? It was not a hotlap though, just a test run ...

A hack is when you modify a computer program, games(any), and other thing that is programmed by a computer. So a hack isn't a cheat people. So if a hacker was stealing your info, is he a cheater? It all depends how you use it?

A hack is when you modify a computer program, games(any), and other thing that is programmed by a computer. So a hack isn't a cheat people. So if a hacker was stealing your info, is he a cheater? It all depends how you use it?

Hacking is illegal, cheating is frowned upon. I know there's a difference. But some people seem to think they are both alright.

Furinkazen
Hacking is illegal, cheating is frowned upon. I know there's a difference. But some people seem to think they are both alright.

We all know its illegal. But not all hacking is cheating. Honestly you missed the point though, if I make a MR2 with 600hp and JUST use it for practice that's not cheating. Read man.

We all know its illegal. But not all hacking is cheating. Honestly you missed the point though, if I make a MR2 with 600hp and. JUST use it for practice that's not cheating. Read man.

I am reading. And point is your not supposed to be able to create these cars in the first place. And that's what's illegal and in violation of ToS.

Furinkazen
I am reading. And point is your not supposed to be able to create these cars in the first place. And that's what's illegal and in violation of ToS.

Do you have proof that people are hacking. You can Sony people are hacking but you can't take people words and say he/she are doing it. You need visual proof these days.

Do you have proof that people are hacking. You can Sony people are hacking but you can't take people words and say he/she are doing it. You need visual proof these days.

Let me see... the existence of this thread.

Can anyone show me a winning combination for circuit racing, that is faster than the fastest cars at given PP levels, with realistic HP numbers? A street car faster than an Elise at 500 PP without using the Elise chassis? A street car faster than the LFA at 550PP without using the LFA motor or chassis?
RSS tyres
:indiff:

If somethings not in the program what gives you the right to violate ToS by adding it completed unauthorized?

I really hate this argument - firstly everything the hackers are doing is simply moving bits from one place to another on their save files. It's hardly reprogramming the game to get alien spaceships driving along the track with you or something silly like that, which "modding" has often been seen to be about. Completely changing the game content, rather than just improving it as so many people would argue.

Every hybrided, modded or hacked car in the game - was already in the game to begin with - not at one point did any additional code find it's way into the process of these hybrids so you can drop the argument of "if it wasn't in the game to start with then it's illegal/cheating/ban everyone who does it" because you're so wrong, it's just ridiculous. Like I just said everything these mods/hacks have allowed people to create were already in the game.

In other words people are just spring-cleaning. Moving the dust and dirt around the room, into the corner, under-the-carpet, but not in plain sight because they're sick of it. This analogy is basically stating that the game is 2 years old, this hacking/hybriding business has revitalised it, the community has gotten so many new members - not only ones looking for these cars or to discuss them, but have come here because of them and decided to stick around. So the argument also that the hacking/hybriding is harming business for PD/Sony is another useless argument. There's now more people playing/buying copies of the game and DLC than there was 6 months ago.

And another thing - saying this is all "cheating" is completely ludicrous as well - it's only cheating if you take a car into a 500PP room and it has too much HP, but is still under the regs - i.e. a negative PP car - and then not say anything and win the race. That's cheating, using the game save to move bits of the game around to suit your purposes like making the car you drive in real life simply because it's not in the game (it is, just not in looks) is not cheating either. No-one is adding content/data to the game that wasn't already there before, the game is like a massive scrap yard. Everything within the boundaries is in the game, we can put engines from one car into another and it's still within the "boundaries of the game".

And this is not me "justifying" it. This is just what's going on now, too many people are doing it, too many people don't care about the fact that it's breaking Sony/PD's ToS or hurting certain manufacturer's reputations because frankly for the number of people that don't like it (in PD/Ferrari or otherwise) there's another 10 that do like it. So don't expect a "ban-hammer" anytime soon. The debate will roll-on about the cars, and whether anything will be done about them, but the fact is they're not external to the game in the first place, so by all means move bits of data around if you want as long as it's within the confines of the game.

If the game thinks it shouldn't happen, it freezes (i.e. doesn't like the changes you've made) - and if the game thinks it's too unrealistic the physics make it impossible to drive (negative PP cars etc.). Anything else is fair play. It just comes down to honesty when online. And this is the difference between cheating and not - honesty. This has been in the game since the beginning, the need to cheat to win and not being honest about it is old, and has not just appeared because of these new-fangled cars.

Last edited:
I really hate this argument - firstly everything the hackers are doing is simply moving bits from one place to another on their save files. It's hardly reprogramming the game to get alien spaceships driving along the track with you or something silly like that, which "modding" has often been seen to be about. Completely changing the game content, rather than just improving it as so many people would argue.

Every hybrided, modded or hacked car in the game - was already in the game to begin with - not at one point did any additional code find it's way into the process of these hybrids so you can drop the argument of "if it wasn't in the game to start with then it's illegal/cheating/ban everyone who does it" because you're so wrong, it's just ridiculous. Like I just said everything these mods/hacks have allowed people to create were already in the game.

In other words people are just spring-cleaning. Moving the dust and dirt around the room, into the corner, under-the-carpet, but not in plain sight because they're sick of it. This analogy is basically stating that the game is 2 years old, this hacking/hybriding business has revitalised it, the community has gotten so many new members - not only ones looking for these cars or to discuss them, but have come here because of them and decided to stick around. So the argument also that the hacking/hybriding is harming business for PD/Sony is another useless argument. There's now more people playing/buying copies of the game and DLC than there was 6 months ago.

And another thing - saying this is all "cheating" is completely ludicrous as well - it's only cheating if you take a car into a 500PP room and it has too much HP, but is still under the regs - i.e. a negative PP car - and then not say anything and win the race. That's cheating, using the game save to move bits of the game around to suit your purposes like making the car you drive in real life simply because it's not in the game (it is, just not in looks) is not cheating either. No-one is adding content/data to the game that wasn't already there before, the game is like a massive scrap yard. Everything within the boundaries is in the game, we can put engines from one car into another and it's still within the "bourndaries of the game".

And this is not me "justifying" it. This is just what's going on now, too many people are doing it, too many people don't care about the fact that it's breaking Sony/PD's ToS or hurting certain manufacturer's reputations because frankly for the number of people that don't like it (in PD/Ferrari or otherwise) there's another 10 that do like it. So don't expect a "ban-hammer" anytime soon. The debate will roll-on about the cars, and whether anything will be done about them, but the fact is they're not external to the game in the first place, so by all means move bits of data around if you want as long as it's within the confines of the game.

If the game thinks it shouldn't happen, it freezes (i.e. doesn't like the changes you've made) - and if the game thinks it's too unrealistic the physics make it impossible to drive (negative PP cars etc.). Anything else is fair play. It just comes down to honesty when online. And this is the difference between cheating and not - honesty. This has been in the game since the beginning, the need to cheat to win and not being honest about it is old, and has not just appeared because of these new-fangled cars.

Show me the proof of a 50,000 HP X2010 in GT5 on release day then. These cars are not supposed to exist. The elements for hacking where there of course, as all the car were in the game to begin with. But point is modding is not legal.

Where did PD say you could "Move bits of data around"? It's not fair play... If you played the game fair you would win races using the next the game gave you, not break it instead.

Show me the proof of a 50,000 HP X2010 in GT5 on release day then. These cars are not supposed to exist. The elements for hacking where there of course, as all the car were in the game to begin with. But point is modding is not legal.

Where did PD say you could "Move bits of data around"? It's not fair play... If you played the game fair you would win races using the next the game gave you, not break it instead.

The X2010 was in the game to begin with, people just changed a couple of numbers and it now has 10000000 HP. Now if the ability to multiply the HP of a car wasn't there in the game to begin with it wouldn't happen, nobody would be doing it.

And the only cars that have broken the game as you put it are the negative PP X2010's that people use to get 40 million credits in 5 minutes on a seasonal. These cars can seriously brake wheels, but also the balance of the game. As if that was ever in question when you could just drive the X2010 in the Sunday Cup.

Do you do things without being given permission? Of course you do - you make your own judgements about certain decisions whether people agree with you or not or like it or not you do what you want, yes?

This is the same thing - many thousands of people who have been unhappy with the product that they purchased have been given tools to make it better. So this is what they've done. Call it a revolution, call it radical call it downright illegal and everyone should be shot is just semantics. And you're not likely to change many peoples ideas of whether this is "right" or not.

The X2010 was in the game to begin with, people just changed a couple of numbers and it now has 10000000 HP. Now if the ability to multiply the HP of a car wasn't there in the game to begin with it wouldn't happen, nobody would be doing it.

And the only cars that have broken the game as you put it are the negative PP X2010's that people use to get 40 million credits in 5 minutes on a seasonal. These cars can seriously brake wheels, but also the balance of the game. As if that was ever in question when you could just drive the X2010 in the Sunday Cup.

Do you do things without being given permission? Of course you do - you make your own judgements about certain decisions whether people agree with you or not or like it or not you do what you want, yes?

This is the same thing - many thousands of people who have been unhappy with the product that they purchased have been given tools to make it better. So this is what they've done. Call it a revolution, call it radical call it downright illegal and everyone should be shot is just semantics. And you're not likely to change many peoples ideas of whether this is "right" or not.

Yes and people unfortunately found the way to put those extra numbers in. And I know I won't convince people. But i'm just stating plain and simple my viewpoint, even if people think all it's worth is being shot down in flames.

I don't race open lobbies anymore due to hacked cars anyway.

I don't race open lobbies anymore due to hacked cars anyway.

I never race in Open Lobbies, even before the hacked cars appeared because the whole system is flawed. Seriously lacking in optimization, and so finding rooms that I can get to race in after 30 mins of looking was pretty impossible every time I tried to use it. So I just gave up and found organised races on here that suit me better, and now I don't need to worry about idiots ramming me or driving the other way or basically being incredibly rude.

I never race in Open Lobbies, even before the hacked cars appeared because the whole system is flawed. Seriously lacking in optimization, and so finding rooms that I can get to race in after 30 mins of looking was pretty impossible every time I tried to use it. So I just gave up and found organised races on here that suit me better, and now I don't need to worry about idiots ramming me or driving the other way or basically being incredibly rude.

Not every open lobby is full of idiots... but that's another discussion.

Ranman20
Exactly.
iainoflo85

And another thing - saying this is all "cheating" is completely ludicrous as well - it's only cheating if you take a car into a 500PP room and it has too much HP, but is still under the regs - i.e. a negative PP car - and then not say anything and win the race. That's cheating, using the game save to move bits of the game around to suit your purposes like making the car you drive in real life simply because it's not in the game (it is, just not in looks) is not cheating either. No-one is adding content/data to the game that wasn't already there before, the game is like a massive scrap yard. Everything within the boundaries is in the game, we can put engines from one car into another and it's still within the "boundaries of the game".

Yep. That's very true.
Furinkazen
Show me the proof of a 50,000 HPX2010 in GT5 on release day then. These cars are not supposed to exist. The elements for hacking where there of course, as all the car were in the game to begin with. But point is modding is not legal.

Actually modding of the PS3 system is legal. It it just when you take it online it becomes against the TOS of Sony. Example of this is the court case involving the PS3 Jailbreak.

But as far as these things being in the game in the beginning. They were there like iainoflo85 said they were basically hidden in the last version of the game before its release.

But i highly boubt anyone wants or needs to get into all this again. Information for that could be found in Sorg's thread.

All i am saying is people who make/own them doesn't mean they are cheating. The ones who make/own them and use them to unfair advantage that's cheating. That's all I am saying

Furinkazen
Not every open lobby is full of idiots... but that's another discussion.

Agreed. Like i have said before. The moded cars I have I do not use them in a race to beat people. Plus I mainly race in no tuning races anyway. But i am mature enough to know there's a time and a place for everything. And if I say did use a hybrid in a race and someone asked me if the car was a hybrid I would be honest. I mean why be a fake and lie

Can anyone show me a winning combination for circuit racing, that is faster than the fastest cars at given PP levels, with realistic HP numbers? A street car faster than an Elise at 500 PP without using the Elise chassis? A street car faster than the LFA at 550PP without using the LFA motor or chassis?

Actually, I'll do better. I raced against an LFA chassis and motor in a supra and it was better than the regular supra but worse than the LFA. Hybrids still need to be tuned to be fast.

Ive been reading the post's in this thread and its certainly a mixed bunch of answers and views.

I can understand everyones argument here.

Yes at the end of the day Sony didnt intend for the option to create a 50,000bhp VW beetle that can go over 900mph 30 feet off the ground.

The Online Race seasons are designed for the cars listed within the game and yes it should only be the correct cars used. using a 60000bhp mini to complete the latest challange is certainly unfair.

However in the real world people do replace engines in their cars all the time, some are sensible like fitting an R35 engine and running gear in a R33/R34, BMW M3 engine in a 1 series, and even an R34 Skyline engine fitted to Silvia or 180SX's.

You will aslo find Motor manufactures doing the same, VW fitted a W12 engine in a Golf GTi which i recall Topgear tagged as stupid and nuts to drive. And i even knew of some one who fitted a sierra cosworth running gear into a ford cortina, and a Rover V8 into the series 3 lightweight landrover... So its nothing new in the real world.

What im trying to say is that changing an engine for something realistic i dont mind (in fact i can think of some conversions i would like to see) and as GT5 is supposed to be a driving simulator game its only 'simulating' what goes on in the real world..... Only some one else other that sony has done it.

Im all for realistic engine changes, but 50000bhp and 900mph im not....

Actually, I'll do better. I raced against an LFA chassis and motor in a supra and it was better than the regular supra but worse than the LFA. Hybrids still need to be tuned to be fast.

Some of the 'performance' also comes from the body. Tire width, aerodynamic drag (which affects top speed), etc. This explains your point above (in addition to the tune).

A NSX Type R 02 will have 579 PP after you swap a Dome NSX engine, chassis and equal aero values [the Dome NSX has 582). Once you do the body as well, the Type R 02 will hit 582 & look and drive just like the Dome.

I was converted once I tried it and saw for myself what it can do and the feeling of accomplishment you get when you have a car that looks awesome and works well. I think that you to at least drive against the cars to form an honest opinion.

I have a great 70 Challenger that's slammed. 380hp/550pp with a Pescarolo chassis and suspension. It's a mid pack 550 car but oh so sweet to look at and drive.

Some of the 'performance' also comes from the body. Tire width, aerodynamic drag (which affects top speed), etc. This explains your point above (in addition to the tune).

A NSX Type R 02 will have 579 PP after you swap a Dome NSX engine, chassis and equal aero values [the Dome NSX has 582). Once you do the body as well, the Type R 02 will hit 582 & look and drive just like the Dome.

Tire width is chassis IIRC

My Twin Turbo AMUSE 380RS Superleggera has over 500HP, stock weight - no engine or chassis swap, medium aero and only 550PP, low 2:22s at Suzuka with comfort soft :D Maybe can be used for reference ? What's the time for LFA at Suzuka with comfort soft at 550PP ? It was not a hotlap though, just a test run ...

Be much easier if you put it on borrow and I could just grab it from you and test it under my own conditions..but wait...you don't have...never mind..:sly: Gotta compare apples to apples, same driver/track/tire combinations otherwise it's pointless.

RSS tyres
:indiff:

Tires are regulated by lobby settings. I don't race, practice or tune with RS tires so I have no idea what the grip difference is with RSS but I have seen it reported once in drag racing that it makes no difference in times. Have to test it to be sure but someone else will have to do the testing:yuck:.

This is my point I made a while back that mostly got skipped over, thanks for acknowledging it...lol. I think we really have two issues that get mixed together and shouldn't be because they really are distinct.

1. Do you disagree with hybriding simply on principle, whether they give a performance advantage or not?

2. Does hybriding give you a performance advantage within standard PP regs, using HP and weight limitations as a secondary limitation?

That answer to the first is subjective, you either like it or you don't. My first reaction to hybrids was that if left unregulated, and it slips into GT6 early, it'll destory the GT series and I still think that is true. It needs to be regulated in some fashion for the future health of Gran Turismo.

The answer to the second is not subjective, it can be tested. Emperical data can be gathered from reliable sources through testing to find out if their are any chassis/engine/grip combinations that "break" the system, within defined PP/HP/Weight limitations.

No one found out how to do mechanical grip yet. Anything considered to change grip values freezes the game.

There is a thing called Grip Multiplier that increases grip. It works too.

EDIT: FYI it also increases PP so it doesn't actually give a performance/PP benefit.

Last edited:

I only raced in open lobbies with extreme rules and knew pretty much everyone in them. Never just went into random rooms expecting a "good race" because that almost never happens. :dunce:

Be much easier if you put it on borrow and I could just grab it from you and test it under my own conditions..but wait...you don't have...never mind..:sly: Gotta compare apples to apples, same driver/track/tire combinations otherwise it's pointless.

I duped the car to a friend here in GTP, he can put it on share for you if you like, I'll just ask him :D and you can send FR to him. I'll pm him if you agree:dopey: I also have the recording of the lap, I just haven't upload it to Youtube yet, it was done couple of weeks ago.

There is a thing called Grip Multiplier that increases grip. It works too.

Yes, and it's accounted for in the PP system. I used it to experiment with a stock chassis 69' Corvette among other cars, a balanced but low grip car, and improved laptimes by a second with increased grip, but at the expense of 50HP, same PP, and it was still not faster than my other fastest 500PP cars.

The grip multiplier is a standard feature used but hidden in the programming and used in the PP calculation. One need only drive an Amuse S2000 R1 Titan to know that even with no downforce it corners like a racecar and at 500 PP with only 325HP it's still faster than that Vette with 400HP. It's the hidden grip multiplier that does that.

I duped the car to a friend here in GTP, he can put it on share for you if you like, I'll just ask him :D and you can send FR to him. I'll pm him if you agree:dopey: I also have the recording of the lap, I just haven't upload it to Youtube yet, it was done couple of weeks ago.

Sure go for it:tup:👍 I believe you turned that lap time...lol..but it doesn't mean I can or that I'll use the car on that track with those tires to test other cars of the same PP level etc. Apples and apples...

Last edited:
The numbers don't lie. 70% are ok with it with 40% adding the caveat that it's fine as long as it doesn't ruin the experience.

While I was in development, things like this happened all the time. The community would create trends that we watched closely. It was always contentious, but it's also the best way to evolve a franchise.

When modding entailed decryption and then trying to sort out the hex values, it was a bit too far out of the realm of the average player. Now, with the editors, it's so easy to adjust a car that it's not that far removed from tuning. So, is it cheating? In the strictest sense, yes, because it is not an in game feature. Do you gain a distinct advantage though? No you do not. The PP system, for all it's criticism, keeps the modding in check.

That said, it does increase the enjoyment of the game (for me and many who have tried it) and it adheres to the vision of the game in so much that players gain cars and then personalize them for maximum effect. We are over 2 years into this release and this is the experimentation time for the future of the franchise. This development is just what the game needed. Look at the requests for GT6 to have more in depth tuning. That's what this allows for. Sure, it's not refined as a proper professional release would be so the community can make ridiculous cars. However, if you stick to PP restrictions, it becomes a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Sure go for it:tup:👍 I believe you turned that lap time...lol..but it doesn't mean I can or that I'll use the car on that track with those tires to test other cars of the same PP level etc. Apples and apples...

I finally uploaded the video of the Suzuka lap with the Amuse :

Amuse 380RS Superleggera at Suzuka with comfort soft and 9/6 BB, no ABS, time is around 2:22s. A realistic hybrid with only twin turbo kit added, everything else are as they were, tuned the LSD + suspension only.

I think I may have used minimum aero front and back, and not too sure about 550PP ( could be a bit lower or higher ), it was done with a brand new car no oil change, that I am certain :D

Update : Another video from hood cam and external cam view

I am pretty sure this kind of hybrid will be fine for racing online against non hybrid, the turbo kit increase PP just like any turbo cars in GT5 :D and it won't give unfair advantage besides the cool sounds it made than the NA version ;)

Last edited:

You would have a point if on the back of the game box it didn't say..

"Unauthorized copying, adaption, rental, lending, distribution, extraction, access or use of this product or any of it's trademarks or copyright work that forms any part of this product are prohibited"

You need to extract info using external tools from the game and then adapt it to mod create these cars. That's two strikes right there.

Potentially this whole affair could be damaging to PD also, if manufacturers get wind PD has done nothing to stop cross-manufacturer swaps, they may not wish to work with them in the future. To many of them gaming is a branding exercise, having your car improved with a rival brands crate-engine portrays a negative image for their own engines. They won't like it, and that's the reason why you rarely, if ever, will see such a thing licensed in a game (in it's original content/code). You may say this is minor but this game is a huge brand in itself and as such gets huge exposure not only throughout the gaming world but inside the motor industry itself.

lol GT5's Forecast still looks the same with high chance of cars slamming into your car doing about 840 Kmh. I buy a brand new Ferrari California tuned it beautifully with amazing control, Acceleration etc, and my car feels like it's parked compared to the hacked High HP cars. 0 to 60 in: "What was that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back