Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get past the juxtaposition of "intellectual" and "property", so I'm not going to bother with that side of it.

Anyway, I could (theoretically) already "beat" an R8 in a Cobra if I really wanted to (in a game, or in real life), and what exactly are Audi going to do about that, cut off my legs? I'm not saying Audi or anyone else would prevent such a "defamation" of their brand, and it's not much of an argument, because only the most idiotic of marketers / legal teams would pursue persecution (no error) down that route.

Not even the money men would have the balls to take things that seriously.

No problem. I just would like some people to see hybriding from every point of view before they automatically hate on it.

Also. If you want another example.
One of my drift teammates. He owned a Supra drag car with a 1jz or 2jz. He had sold the supra shell but kept the drive train.

He has now built a S13 in real life with the engine and drive train from that supra and put it in it. He has it for a daily driver/drift car and thanks to hybriding he owns the same car on GT5 as he does in real life.

Thats cool as hell.Well Idk guess i need more like minded friends that enjoy these realistic swaps.......,deleting my friends list now lol.

What kind of tires are you running? If you're on streets I'm interested for sure, maybe RH. Shoot me an FR on PSN if you don't mind.

It depends. I was using RS up to know, but I may have to drop to RM to eliminate at Super Softs from being used. Friend me up in the game and I will join up with you anytime. I'm not tied to any one tire type.

If Sony what a community member to offer up cars that are within the spirit of the game to keep the underground movement going, shoot me a e-mail. I'd take that contract.

Well welcome to the club. Later you should join Lock2Lock and myself in a lobby.

Hei
Well welcome to the club. Later you should join Lock2Lock and myself in a lobby.

My psn is tougemonster33 hit me up id like to run with you guys.Im a true enthusiast who thrives on clean racing.Im on right now!

Sent a request. JC18137. I'm busy making a few cars, maybe try a car on my list?

Can't be bothered to read through the whole thread, but I'll throw my vote on the Pro Hybrid side.

If feel like a lot of the people who are anti-hybrid are very close minded, and selfish to a degree. There's a lot of complaining along the lines of "waaaah, hybrids ruined my racing fun, they ruined time trials". I think these people forget that there are tens of thousands of people who play this game that don't give a damn about racing, or time trials. There are so many other aspects to car culture - and while hybrids may have caused some hiccups for the racing community, they blew doors wide open for other aspects of car culture to really explore the possibilities of the game.

As someone who primarily drifts in GT5, hybrids nearly tripled the amount of potential drift cars....not to mention making some of the lower powered or slower driftable cars (eg s13, s15) actually competitive with the big dawgs (supra, ss10, etc).

As someone who had been a loyal GT fan since the first game, I almos feel like PD is stabbing me in the back by removing hybrids (perhaps kicking me in the nuts is a better metaphor). Aside from the obvious updates, gt5 feels almost the same as gt1. I feel like I've been playing the same game for over 10 years.....the same game that, although has the best physics on console, has always had very very limited tuning options, especially compared with its modern rivals.

Finally, hybrids gave is the ability to do things we the fans have been asking for since day one. Not only that, they gave is the ability to do things that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME FROM THE START, BUT WEREN'T BECAUSE PD'S PRIORITIES ARE MESSED UP!!!!!! Things like wing deletes, the ability to pain stock rims, drivetrain conversions, the "secret list"....etc etc etc, I could keep going.

Anyone who has built a hybrid know just how easy it is to remove a stock wing. There is absolutely no reason that feature should not have been included in the game. But instead of useful customization options, we get useless Jeff Gordon cut scenes and fancy menus that take an eternity to load.

I'm glad I got a chance to mess around with hybrids...a chance to see what gt5 could have been. If I get banned, I don't really care....it will be the last time I play a GT game though. It'll be a sad way for a 14 year partnership to end, but after 14 years, I'm tried of giving my hard earned money (multiple copies of each game, DLC, and two ps3 solely for GT) to people who, more than ever, constantly come across as a group of elitist old men who are completely out of touch with modern car culture.

I remember an interview with Kaz thst I read a few years back. In it, he said one of the goals of the GT series was to bridge the gap between car culture and video game culture....to turn gamers into petro heads, and petrol heads into gamers. No other aspect of the GT series did this better than hybrids. Because of the stance capabilities hybrids introduced, even car culture institutions such as Fatlace were gettin in on the hybrid action. But, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And it gave me hope that maybe one day, a game will come along that really encapsulates all of car culture....

twitcher
Can't be bothered to read through the whole thread, but I'll throw my vote on the Pro Hybrid side.

If feel like a lot of the people who are anti-hybrid are very close minded, and selfish to a degree. There's a lot of complaining along the lines of "waaaah, hybrids ruined my racing fun, they ruined time trials". I think these people forget that there are tens of thousands of people who play this game that don't give a damn about racing, or time trials. There are so many other aspects to car culture - and while hybrids may have caused some hiccups for the racing community, they blew doors wide open for other aspects of car culture to really explore the possibilities of the game.

As someone who primarily drifts in GT5, hybrids nearly tripled the amount of potential drift cars....not to mention making some of the lower powered or slower driftable cars (eg s13, s15) actually competitive with the big dawgs (supra, ss10, etc).

As someone who had been a loyal GT fan since the first game, I almos feel like PD is stabbing me in the back by removing hybrids (perhaps kicking me in the nuts is a better metaphor). Aside from the obvious updates, gt5 feels almost the same as gt1. I feel like I've been playing the same game for over 10 years.....the same game that, although has the best physics on console, has always had very very limited tuning options, especially compared with its modern rivals.

Finally, hybrids gave is the ability to do things we the fans have been asking for since day one. Not only that, they gave is the ability to do things that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME FROM THE START, BUT WEREN'T BECAUSE PD'S PRIORITIES ARE MESSED UP!!!!!! Things like wing deletes, the ability to pain stock rims, drivetrain conversions, the "secret list"....etc etc etc, I could keep going.

Anyone who has built a hybrid know just how easy it is to remove a stock wing. There is absolutely no reason that feature should not have been included in the game. But instead of useful customization options, we get useless Jeff Gordon cut scenes and fancy menus that take an eternity to load.

I'm glad I got a chance to mess around with hybrids...a chance to see what gt5 could have been. If I get banned, I don't really care....it will be the last time I play a GT game though. It'll be a sad way for a 14 year partnership to end, but after 14 years, I'm tried of giving my hard earned money (multiple copies of each game, DLC, and two ps3 solely for GT) to people who, more than ever, constantly come across as a group of elitist old men who are completely out of touch with modern car culture.

I remember an interview with Kaz thst I read a few years back. In it, he said one of the goals of the GT series was to bridge the gap between car culture and video game culture....to turn gamers into petro heads, and petrol heads into gamers. No other aspect of the GT series did this better than hybrids. Because of the stance capabilities hybrids introduced, even car culture institutions such as Fatlace were gettin in on the hybrid action. But, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And it gave me hope that maybe one day, a game will come along that really encapsulates all of car culture....

Couldn't have said it better myself twitch.

I have said it before and I'll say it again... It seems that the realism/good influence of hybrids really does show in the drifting community.

Personally I feel that those who are in full support of having ALL hybriders banned need to realize that not all of us are bad. Not all of us build up crazy 1,000,000HP GT-Rs and Schwimmwagens with different handling characteristics. However I will say that people who are idiotic enough to bring these unrealistic mods online and run them in ranked seasonal events should definitely be banned.
I take pride in my hybrids, and I only mod to enhance MY experience of this game. I shouldn't have to worry about running my V8-swapped Eunos Roadster on a race OFFLINE because some d*ckface decided to run their unrealistically hacked car in a drift trial or a time trial.
PD definitely need to calm down and realize how this will impact their game's online status. Many of us here on GTPlanet have at least one hybrid, and if we got banned for having that ONE hybrid, that would be kinda rediculous. The population of GT5's online would plummet to an all-time low. People would be furious, and wrongfully accused players might even threaten to sue Polyphony Digital. PD really need to lay down the blueprints of how this is all going to work before jumping to unnecessary conclusions.

Rant over.

How has Sony been letting people know they are banned from GT5 online anyway? Haven't seen that mentioned. Email or message in game or what?

Toronado
How has Sony been letting people know they are banned from GT5 online anyway? Haven't seen that mentioned. Email or message in game or what?

Happens in a email usually.

That's what happened to my buddy after the bad divorce with his wife when she called Sony to say that someone had used herein credit card (while they were still together he used it. She just started a whole bunch of crap with him while they were getting divorced long story). His account with her card on it was banned because of credit card fraud. He got a e-mail.

Right, I know that'd ordinarily be how they handle PSN discipline, be it bannings or whatnot. But in this case it's something for a specific game, so I dunno.

I hope your right about a game that really encapsulates all of car culture, i'd certainly buy it. in fact if i win the lottery i will make lol.

Toronado
Right, I know that'd ordinarily be how they handle PSN discipline, be it bannings or whatnot. But in this case it's something for a specific game, so I dunno.

Oh ok... I get what you mean now. I have no clue how it would (if) be sent on a individual game. Good question though. Maybe on the www.gran-turismo.com when you log in.

fatty7529
I hope your right about a game that really encapsulates all of car culture, i'd certainly buy it. in fact if i win the lottery i will make lol.

This game isn't? I guess it really depends on how you perceive it.

Wow, really, they're banning people for modifying game data?

Another case of intellectual property BS where they apparently still own it and can tell you what to do with it and how, even though I paid my hard earned cash for the game.

Maybe I'll throw all my PD titles in the bonfire I'm having at my house tonight and go out and get FM4 tomorrow, where I can actually paint up my cars and do engine swaps, etc.

I thought it made the game more fun, but eh I guess now it's just back to the same old.

Couldn't have said it better myself twitch.

I have said it before and I'll say it again... It seems that the realism/good influence of hybrids really does show in the drifting community.

Totally agree Lock! The drifting community is a perfect (and perhaps best) example of the potential these hybrids offer. And I think the reason for this, is that before hybrids, drifting was the most limited aspect of the game (I'd say drag racing is a close second). No other aspect of the game was more limited by the lack of tuning and customization than drifting...and is why pretty much everyone feels pidgeon-holed into using the same 10-20 cars (think about that...in a game with "more than 1000" cars, us drifters were limited to selecting from less than 100 cars...and of those 100, only 20 - 30 are competitive at the upper echelons of drifting).

I can easily say that the last couple of months have been the most enjoyable and exciting time I've had playing a GT game since I first ripped the plastic off my first copy of the original GT. It's a shame to see this end due to a handful of people being butthurt about time trials, and because of this debate over "intellectual property" lol.

If go to Toyota and buy a brand new GT86, what's stopping me from takin it down the street to a shop and dropping an LS1 in it??? Is Toyota going to sue me??? And if they won't sue me, why on earth would they want to sue anyone for doing the same in a video game?

hogger129
Wow... really? They're going to ban people for modifying game data on a game they apparently own, even though you paid your hard earned money for it? Why am I not out in the street burning all my GT titles right now?

I don't see what the big deal is. I thought it made the game more fun, but I guess it isn't worth it now.

Bann you for online use not offline. And right now it is just a bann for people trying to get a unfair advantage in the online ranked seasonal events.

twitcher
Totally agree Lock! The drifting community is a perfect (and perhaps best) example of the potential these hybrids offer. And I think the reason for this, is that before hybrids, drifting was the most limited aspect of the game (I'd say drag racing is a close second). No other aspect of the game was more limited by the lack of tuning and customization than drifting...and is why pretty much everyone feels pidgeon-holed into using the same 10-20 cars (think about that...in a game with "more than 1000" cars, us drifters were limited to selecting from less than 100 cars...and of those 100, only 20 - 30 are competitive at the upper echelons of drifting).

I can easily say that the last couple of months have been the most enjoyable and exciting time I've had playing a GT game since I first ripped the plastic off my first copy of the original GT. It's a shame to see this end due to a handful of people being butthurt about time trials, and because of this debate over "intellectual property" lol.

If go to Toyota and buy a brand new GT86, what's stopping me from takin it down the street to a shop and dropping an LS1 in it??? Is Toyota going to sue me??? And if they won't sue me, why on earth would they want to sue anyone for doing the same in a video game?

Yep same here and I have only really made one car. It has brought my interest back in too.

And to your Toyota comment. Maybe if it was a lease. That would be the only way.

I didn't agree to that when I bought the game. Show me where my signature is saying I agreed to it.

When you created an account on PlayStation Network and purchased a product used on a PlayStation system.

Drifting is more flexible in this field. In other forms of racing all you can do is hope everyone plays fair.

ToscanaTarmac-5_zps2ecba075.jpg

Realistic hybrids are a go! Z-Tune out of an R-Tune :sly:

+1

In this day and age with everyone suing everyone over intellectual property, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota tried to sue you.

When you created an account on PlayStation Network and purchased a product used on a PlayStation system.

Drifting is more flexible in this field. In other forms of racing all you can do is hope everyone plays fair.

Still didn't put down my signature saying I agreed to the "rules." It's about as silly as the other guy said where he asked if Toyota could sue him for modifying his car.

The more rules they make, the more times they change the tos, the more obtrusive they become towards my personal data, the less I like console gaming.

I walk the walk though, after my ps3 ylod a few times I just gave up on gt. I sold my disc and dfgt and decided to wait a while and see what comes. If pcars, as, etc look good and my friends play them I'll be switching over to pc racing. I seriously doubt I'll buy a ps4 👎 I don't use facebook now so why buy another machine for the same crap. [/rant]

What about drag racing? Is it unrealistic to drop a 454 into a '69 Camaro Z/28 body and juice it up a little to about 1700hp?

Not at all...

Though you did select agree to the terms and conditions. That's as good as a signature under legal circumstances. Please don't double post. Use the edit and multiquote features instead.

Still didn't put down my signature saying I agreed to the "rules." It's about as silly as the other guy said where he asked if Toyota could sue him for modifying his car.

I went to register on PlayStation Network, oh look what I found!

1pt9fk.png

What about drag racing? Is it unrealistic to drop a 454 into a '69 Camaro Z/28 body and juice it up a little to about 1700hp?

Not at all...

I wasn't talking about realism what-so-ever. I was speaking of the usage of them.

Did you not read the Terms of Service? It's called rules. You don't break rules.

Erroneous rules made for the sake of making rules, because one of the most powerful human emotions is greed, and because the one and only driving force behind the corporate world is the bottom line. Don't let ANYONE tell you different. At the end of the day, Sony, PD, and every car manufacturer in the world care about nothing else other than making money, end of story.

Just because someone makes a rule, that doesn't make it a good one, and it doesn't mean it should be followed.

Hei
Though you did select agree to the terms and conditions. That's as good as a signature under legal circumstances. Please don't double post. Use the edit and multiquote features instead.

Sorry about the double-post, will try to multiquote next time.

Anyway, it's total hearsay, I never submitted to any "legal agreement." I bought the game to have fun and I don't really see how I'm stealing anybody's intellectual property or doing anything harmful by modifying my game save data.

Maybe PD should be working on GT6 instead of trying to crush everybody's good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back