Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bad thing is that you can change your name or something and mess up someone elses driving experience. So basically, rape. It lets you rape someone elses game.

"Changing" your name doesn't actually do anything.

I don't see them banning anyone that doesn't mess with Seasonals and have any shared...

I know guys that have been banned and they were all 10,000hp users, grip multiplier users, and people that did seasonals. I'm still alive..

I've got a question for the people that say they should leave 'realistic' modded cars alone. My question is, how on earth would PD technically decide what is 'realistic' and what isn't? I'm pretty certain they don't have the time to look at car X, look at every modded version of that car and then decide if the mods are 'realistic'.

So how on earth do you suppose PD could police 'realistic' hybrids? Set a HP limit? But what about the chassis swaps, they're not realistic. How would they manage those?

It'd be a total mess and waste of time as far as I can see, they need to ban everything. Tough luck if you thought yours was 'realistic'.

Hybriding actually brings many, many more cars into competitiveness that ever before. I can make my 69' Vette handle like an Evora now, with the same power and weight of an Evora, and with a proper racing V8 sounds. Not quite as fast, but within shouting distances at least, and certainly 10 times the car it was before. I'd bet that given enough time, I could make 100+ cars competitive with those Elises, NSX's, Evora's, LFA's etc, that were so consistently winning races for more than 2 years. A 60's Shelby Cobra that can compete with an Audi R8? How can anyone argue that's a bad thing?

Erm I can't be the only one wondering how you can still call that car a Shelby Cobra?

Last edited:
SimonK
I've got a question for the people that say they should leave 'realistic' modded cars alone. My question is, how on earth would PD technically decide what is 'realistic' and what isn't? I'm pretty certain they don't have the time to look at car X, look at every modded version of that car and then decide if the mods are 'realistic'.

So how on earth do you suppose PD could police 'realistic' hybrids? Set a HP limit? But what about the chassis swaps, they're not realistic. How would they manage those?

It'd be a total mess and waste of time as far as I can see, they need to ban everything. Tough luck if you thought yours was 'realistic'.

Erm I can't be the only one wondering how you can still call that car a Shelby Cobra?

That is a good question only way I can see like you said hp limit but the chassis swap coukdnt be policed unless maybe reporting?

Yep, the cars are either hacked or not, and PD will either ban them or leave them alone, no gray areas here.
That is a good question only way I can see like you said hp limit but the chassis swap coukdnt be policed unless maybe reporting?
Who's reporting? And who's to judge whether a car is realistic or not?

1241Penguin
Yep, the cars are either hacked or not, and PD will either ban them or leave them alone, no gray areas here.

Who's reporting? And who's to judge whether a car is realistic or not?

Im only offering scenarios thats all.

Working on people reporting would take just as long as manually checking cars themselves. But there are so many connotations, even if we hypothetically say they can check a game save automatically to see if any cars have the wrong chassis, what about the rest? If car X has suspension settings outside of what the game offers, how are they going to decide if those settings are 'realistic' or not?

It's a whole lot easier for them to check car X is 100% correct to the game than to check car X for switched/hacked parts and then check another time to see if they are 'realistic'. Then like I said, who decides that? If car X has lowered suspension who is going to decide if it's been lowered a realistic amount? We already know it's not wise to compare to the real world as just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it isn't technically possible. So what would PD do, have to come up with a database containing what they think is realistic for EVERY SINGLE PART on all 1000 cars?

It'd be a complete mess.

SimonK
Working on people reporting would take just as long as manually checking cars themselves. But there are so many connotations, even if we hypothetically say they can check a game save automatically to see if any cars have the wrong chassis, what about the rest? If car X has suspension settings outside of what the game offers, how are they going to decide if those settings are 'realistic' or not?

It's a whole lot easier for them to check car X is 100% correct to the game than to check car X for switched/hacked parts and then check another time to see if they are 'realistic'. Then like I said, who decides that? If car X has lowered suspension who is going to decide if it's been lowered a realistic amount? We already know it's not wise to compare to the real world as just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it isn't technically possible. So what would PD do, have to come up with a database containing what they think is realistic for EVERY SINGLE PART on all 1000 cars?

It'd be a complete mess.

Well I didnt say they were effective only as options

The realistic or not is not a legit argument tbh, if it's against the tos then it's against the tos. 20 billion or 2 horse power, still the same.

I don't think they are going to ban everything, too much work for too little reward. Looks like if you use them in a seasonal tt or dt, that is the line and a good one to draw.

I guess we will see if the whiners get there way by reporting this guy or that but I don't see it. With the gift option in gt and all... plus the sheer numbers would remind one of an fbi tip line for a million dollar reward :lol:

It has been discussed if pd can find the root source of a hybrid or not, figure out if someone is playing tricks with there game save and such. I believe they can but I also think it's way too much work to seek and destroy in that fashion.

I'm sure that it's quite easy to find by them (PD) who is using a hybrid car in seasonals. Top times/scores come with replay data... and I think, that replay data contains vehicle parameters (which are modded).

I also have some hybrids but I use them only for my personal fun and for photo mode, not in seasonal nor any other online mode (because i think it's unfair.. no matter if the "hybrid" car is "realistic" or not).

Problem I have is, as I only use my "realistic" modded cars for drifting, what harm am I doing there ? Its a rear wheel drive low skyline r33, no advantage over anyone, I just like it for what it is.

Drifting is about fun, not winning, drifting is where hybrid cars belong.

Problem I have is, as I only use my "realistic" modded cars for drifting, what harm am I doing there ? Its a rear wheel drive low skyline r33, no advantage over anyone, I just like it for what it is.

So how are PD supposed to determine that? They can hardly check everything someone is doing and see if they're only drifting.

If I get banned.. it was worth it

I witnessed what gt5 couldve been and what GT could become.
I REGRET NOTHING !
Quote of the year for me :cheers:

If feel like a lot of the people who are anti-hybrid are very close minded, and selfish to a degree. There's a lot of complaining along the lines of "waaaah, hybrids ruined my racing fun, they ruined time trials". I think these people forget that there are tens of thousands of people who play this game that don't give a damn about racing, or time trials. There are so many other aspects to car culture - and while hybrids may have caused some hiccups for the racing community, they blew doors wide open for other aspects of car culture to really explore the possibilities of the game.

As someone who primarily drifts in GT5, hybrids nearly tripled the amount of potential drift cars....not to mention making some of the lower powered or slower driftable cars (eg s13, s15) actually competitive with the big dawgs (supra, ss10, etc).

As someone who had been a loyal GT fan since the first game, I almos feel like PD is stabbing me in the back by removing hybrids (perhaps kicking me in the nuts is a better metaphor). Aside from the obvious updates, gt5 feels almost the same as gt1. I feel like I've been playing the same game for over 10 years.....the same game that, although has the best physics on console, has always had very very limited tuning options, especially compared with its modern rivals.

Finally, hybrids gave is the ability to do things we the fans have been asking for since day one. Not only that, they gave is the ability to do things that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME FROM THE START, BUT WEREN'T BECAUSE PD'S PRIORITIES ARE MESSED UP!!!!!! Things like wing deletes, the ability to pain stock rims, drivetrain conversions, the "secret list"....etc etc etc, I could keep going.

Anyone who has built a hybrid know just how easy it is to remove a stock wing. There is absolutely no reason that feature should not have been included in the game. But instead of useful customization options, we get useless Jeff Gordon cut scenes and fancy menus that take an eternity to load.

I'm glad I got a chance to mess around with hybrids...a chance to see what gt5 could have been. If I get banned, I don't really care....it will be the last time I play a GT game though. It'll be a sad way for a 14 year partnership to end, but after 14 years, I'm tried of giving my hard earned money (multiple copies of each game, DLC, and two ps3 solely for GT) to people who, more than ever, constantly come across as a group of elitist old men who are completely out of touch with modern car culture.

I remember an interview with Kaz thst I read a few years back. In it, he said one of the goals of the GT series was to bridge the gap between car culture and video game culture....to turn gamers into petro heads, and petrol heads into gamers. No other aspect of the GT series did this better than hybrids. Because of the stance capabilities hybrids introduced, even car culture institutions such as Fatlace were gettin in on the hybrid action. But, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And it gave me hope that maybe one day, a game will come along that really encapsulates all of car culture....

I get it now 👍
Wish I could change my vote. And join in this contraband fun.

The more rules they make, the more times they change the tos, the more obtrusive they become towards my personal data, the less I like console gaming.

I walk the walk though, after my ps3 ylod a few times I just gave up on gt. I sold my disc and dfgt and decided to wait a while and see what comes. If pcars, as, etc look good and my friends play them I'll be switching over to pc racing. I seriously doubt I'll buy a ps4 👎 I don't use facebook now so why buy another machine for the same crap. [/rant]
You said it mate. Modable Skyrim has me set to go, and now BS from a company and IP I've supported for 15 years makes me wonder why I'm still here.

Good point, but:

PD need to rise to the challenge and work out how to do this in an evolving Gran Turismo. Otherwise I would support a pDRIFT type newcomer. Hell maybe even the already-discredited Drive Club will do that and all this hoping and manifesting wont be necessary. Much like PD :ill:

So PD should take time out of whatever they're doing (ie GT6 development) to accommodate those hacking the game but not for gain? Then like I said how are they going to police it, make you pinky swear that you'll only drift your modded cars?

If PD didnt what Hacking or Hybrids in the game GT5 why was the following parts listed in another thread there in the first place, what was it purpose?

If Hybrid's were never ment to be a part of the game, then why does the name 'Hybrid' apear in the Country menu when you have a hacked car?

If the game was designed with all these extra parts encoded within the program why wasnt it 'locked off' so tightly they couldnt be accessed or indeed deleated from the game prior to release?

Do you think PD deliberatley left them there so they could be found?

.....I think they were left there so they could be found to see what reponce their GT players would do and wether they would want this kind tunning extras....

Perhaps this 'banning' as people say is just to warn off the guys cheating in the online challenges etc to cover the 'test' excersise. perhaps the first hacked car was deliberatly done by a PD worker to start the ball rolling.....

CONSPIRACY lol

If PD didnt what Hacking or Hybrids in the game GT5 why was the following parts listed in another thread there in the first place, what was it purpose?

Unfinished code.

If Hybrid's were never ment to be a part of the game, then why does the name 'Hybrid' apear in the Country menu when you have a hacked car?

The program puts it there, I should imagine.

If the game was designed with all these extra parts encoded within the program why wasnt it 'locked off' so tightly they couldnt be accessed or indeed deleated from the game prior to release?

Do you think PD deliberatley left them there so they could be found?

If the code is there the code is there and can be found. It's easier to leave it there than take it out and risk causing bugs.

.....I think they were left there so they could be found to see what reponce their GT players would do and wether they would want this kind tunning extras....

Perhaps this 'banning' as people say is just to warn off the guys cheating in the online challenges etc to cover the 'test' excersise. perhaps the first hacked car was deliberatly done by a PD worker to start the ball rolling.....

CONSPIRACY lol

Not a very good one. Besides hybrids existed as far back as GT2 I believe, they're nothing new that PD have added the ability to do in GT5. Plus most hybrids didn't use any extra parts anyway as far as I know, they just swapped parts around and used multipliers.

@ Simon I dont think they are going through everyone game saves and see whats hacked and whats not.Like you said that will take for ever.I think they will look at the hacked cars in seasonals using anything from 1+hp/pp over in game max to different chassis and engine, they have a chance of getting banned.So yea doesnt matter if you have a realistic hybrid ( unless everything is stock except some aesthetics ), theres a chance you will get banned.
But nobody really knows, we are all just guessing.I guess when or if the bans start coming people will give us specifics.

A real dissapointment to say the least - I only got to make Hybrids for a few days but they were the most fun I have had on GT5 since launch day.

I was making sensible engine conversions, stancing and removing wings and nobody was complaining when I used my cars in the lobby.

Why don't they just ban them from boring Seasonals anyway, those events were only made for easy money in my view - surely it didn't hurt the community (as a majority - the most important thing to be considered in a situation like this)

I'm certain PD are a smart enough company to see what Hybrids are realistic and which ones are not. It is easy to say hacking and hybriding should be banned as it is unfair e.t.c. - funny thing is, I bet all the most anti-hacking people wished they had a chance to try a realistic hybrid or two - whether it be for aesthetic purposes or for a real life engine conversion that SHOULD be part of game that strives to be the ultimate console simulator for driving games...

Maybe they'll release an update that checks each car as you load it up in the garage - if it's not legitimate, it gets culled. The same goes for bone stock DLC cars that you don't own, say, because that should be easy to check for. I hope they don't do this, though, unless they replace the functionality in the game somehow, e.g. the visual mods.

As for account bans, I too expect they're only looking at the time trials and drift trials. If anyone is using an "illegal" car, i.e. modified in any way outside the game's capabilities, it'll be punished.

That's fair enough, and easy enough; everything else is overkill, and just uneconomical to pull off.

Haha how is that possible, that'd be such a cool addition for my drift cars during night time :sly:
I wish i could explain in open, but not possible. So, has anyone actually been banned besides the people using Hybrids in the Time trials? Also, Seem like the "Dark" NGU community members have found a way to unban themselves.

Last edited:
I wish i could explain in open, but not possible. So, has anyone actually been banned besides the people using Hybrids in the Time trials? Also, Seem like the "Dark" NGU community members have found a way to unban themselves.

Discussion about it allowed via PM or not? :lol:

Wow, goes to show how much effort they put into banhammering then.

Well I had to sign up host to vent here as I only use hacks for s***s and giggles like a slammed v8 camper that looks like its on air ride it only may have 680hp but I only ever go in cruise lobbies with only 2 hosts I know and allow these cars to join and some cars are raced in a 1 make race on snow or dirt or Tarmac for fun and some cars you can't even drive on snow for 50 feet without spinning out makes for very funny races that take over 30 mins to finish 1 lap and I enjoy it. And don't say got to forza 4 as I have it and my Xbox caught fire and don't moan about grammar I'm doing this on a old I phone that barley works.

Hei
You can still use punctuation on an old phone.
BOOM!!
Exactly haha

IN5AN3 DR1FT
Well I had to sign up host to vent here as I only use hacks for s***s and giggles like a slammed v8 camper that looks like its on air ride it only may have 680hp but I only ever go in cruise lobbies with only 2 hosts I know and allow these cars to join and some cars are raced in a 1 make race on snow or dirt or Tarmac for fun and some cars you can't even drive on snow for 50 feet without spinning out makes for very funny races that take over 30 mins to finish 1 lap and I enjoy it. And don't say got to forza 4 as I have it and my Xbox caught fire and don't moan about grammar I'm doing this on a old I phone that barley works.
Yeah i don't think anyone is going to hate you for using them in none competitive rooms.

Your post however needs a award for biggest run on sentence

It gave me a headache and is making me feel dirty. I'll be back later, need to shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back