the "just plain ugly" car thread

Nissan_Primera_Sedan_2001.jpg
That Nissan made me sick.
But the back is even worse!
800px-Nissan_Primera_rear_20080102.jpg
Well, I'm scarred for life.
Just as ugly as the US market nissans.

Woah woah woah.

When it arrived in 2002 it looked great, particularly against the slurry Nissan were pumping out at the time (Almera, Almera Tino, Terrano II, Patrol etc etc). The problem is that it's just aged really badly. I can't honestly say I think it's an ugly car. The front is inoffensive at worst and the back is (to me) just a little bit disproportionate. I wouldn't have one myself but I don't think it deserves quite that reaction!

Maybe I'm alone in this.

I thought the last Primera had one of the most modern designs in that segment in Europe 10 years ago. The back end (lights in particular) always reminded me of the front of a Lancia Thesis though, but at least it wasn't as dull as the late-90s facelifted Primera it succeeded.

Such designs aren't guaranteed to age gracefully.

Last edited:
I'm sure it did look good when it came out, but like you've said it hasn't aged well.

I personally like the mad look of the superbird. Sure, that spoiler is huge, but it somehow just fits with the rest of the car.

As for this, Blahh
ford-fiesta-uk-1998.jpg

That wouldn't look too bad with a body color matching front bumper. It looks awful how it is, though.

I just don't like the headlights and grille, but I love the look of the facelifted version:
0261150-Ford-Fiesta-1.8-DI-Collection-2001.jpg

👍 If I moved to the UK, the Zetec S version of this would be the first car I would buy.

I kinda like it...mostly the hardtop though.

And here I thought the only fans that thing had were at the back.

25592390944_large.jpg

The main problem with it being the exceedingly steep windscreen, making it look like some small hatchback surrounded by a sports car outer shell. Altogether very disproportionate:

RkJQSx3.jpg

And many of us already know what they did to the Intruder...

Last edited:
The Axio is a very inoffensive car, certainly nowhere near ugly. In Luxel grade it looks rather handsome and stylish for a compact sedan.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Something as simple as adding vertical grill slits does more to brighten a lifeless sedan it up than you'd expect.
10101065_201206b.jpg

If you want an ugly Corolla, just look at the E11 wagon we got in Europe. Granted, I have always had a soft spot for the front end on those and it's not incredibly boring like most other Corolla designs, but it's no looker by any stretch. Especially when they seemingly took inspiration from the AE95 when penning that rear end.

And then there's the odd number plate and rear light placement on the AE82. Interesting decision, but the end product wasn't exactly pretty:

800184770_PRD_4bd26a22d827a3.62759455_gks_0206.jpg

Last edited:
If you want an ugly Corolla, just look at the E11 wagon we got in Europe. Granted, I have always had a soft spot for the front end on those and it's not incredibly boring like most other Corolla designs, but it's no looker by any stretch. Especially when they seemingly took inspiration from the AE95 when penning that rear end.

And then there's the odd number plate and rear light placement on the AE82. Interesting decision, but the end product wasn't exactly pretty:

The European E110 wagon started out life as the E11x Sprinter Carib that succeeded AE95, so they must indeed have been alluding quite heavily to the old model. The European Corolla model just received the more controversial "frogeye" front fascia which was also available to the Japanese in the form of the Carib Rosso (because, ooooh, European influence!). Personally, I think the frogeyes go better with the overall goofy design and make it quite a bit more likable.

10102006_199804.jpg

Speaking of ugly Toyotas, you can find shockingly ugly factory models made by subsidiaries Modellista and Technocraft. Here's the Hilux-based Toyota TC Pickup inspired by the Model AA:

U00008898609_004L.JPG

:ill:

Last edited:
Is it just me, or do the headlights of the Audi A8 resemble the droopy eyes of a Basset Hound?

2011_Audi_A8_--_07-07-2011_1.jpg
The new Audi lights make every car very depressed. It looks like the edges got a bit hot and melted a tad.

The headlights and taillights are the best things on an Audi. They look perfectly awesome, aggressive, etc.

Don't get me wrong; I like the headlights, even with the Basset Hound resemblance that I'll never be able to unsee.

Back