The war on ISIS.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 3,128 comments
Still can't get my head around the Iraqi's purchasing second hand Russian and Belarus-ian attack jets because the US backed F16s were taking too long.

Who's flying these jets? Who's maintaining them?

Still can't get my head around the Iraqi's purchasing second hand Russian and Belarus-ian attack jets because the US backed F16s were taking too long.

The Shiites figure they are in an existential battle. There is a prophesied apocalyptic end-time for Muslims as well as for Christians. This is it, they think. They will take help from wherever it comes. Putin is very smart in helping them. He protects the minority in the Middle East, stands a shield for his own Orthodox Christians against the jihadists, and makes the US administration look like confused fools. (You know many of the ISIS fighters were trained in Jordan by CIA with US taxpayer money to fight for the opposition FSA in Syria, subsequently re-joining with ISIS.)

The pilots and ground crew will presumably be "contracted" from the supplying nation, that's normally how these things are done. The operational aspect will therefore be interesting... but this whole 'war' is an exercise in shape-shifting so anything's possible.

Iraqis refused the American jets because they can't be repaired with chisel and hammer like the Russian can. :D

The Shiites figure they are in an existential battle. There is a prophesied apocalyptic end-time for Muslims as well as for Christians. This is it, they think. They will take help from wherever it comes. Putin is very smart in helping them. He protects the minority in the Middle East, stands a shield for his own Orthodox Christians against the jihadists, and makes the US administration look like confused fools. (You know many of the ISIS fighters were trained in Jordan by CIA with US taxpayer money to fight for the opposition FSA in Syria, subsequently re-joining with ISIS.)
Kinda funny how communism won WW2 and now it's spiritual successor is besting us once again.

Iraq gets a few very old used SU-25s in hopes to turn the situation around:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28077462

Earlier the BBC said "Iraq to Receive New Russian Fighters" and had photos of SU-35s :lol:

That they call Su-25 fighters at all is even worse.

That and Russian aircraft are hell of a lot more cheaper to buy by the pound.
Not necessarily and if they are it might be for a reason. The avionics on some of those Frogfoots are barely better than what was available in the late 60's/early 70's. I couldn't see what model was in the video it didn't want to play.

I would imagine ground support would call for something like a Warthog; low, slow, armored, and with big guns.

Counter insurgency can require different units and tactics than traditional warfare, but outdated is outdated. Being able to ID and track friend/foe in close proximity is extremely important and the lack of any sensors except the pilot's eyes is a disadvantage. MANPAD's wouldn't be out of the reach of forces like ISIS either.

Islamists taking up arms again? I bet the US/UK try to remain blameless. :lol:

The main problem is when we left, we left. We didn't help the country recover so this is what happens.

Islamists taking up arms again? I bet the US/UK try to remain blameless. :lol:

The main problem is when we left, we left. We didn't help the country recover so this is what happens.

The main problem is, there are walking hundreds of military trained radicals and no one to step them.

12_small.jpg

13_small.si.jpg

Iraq was a beautiful, well cultured country, then, Russia took over a bit so the Americans got jealous and was like oil yo! So funded a force to fight the Russians and then when the fighting had stopped, they took the fight to the Americans and then the Americans phoned in the Brits and then we phoned up our chums in Europe and a few million deaths later, Here we are in the same trouble .

I don't know why there doing this, if they are call themselves Muslims and explode mosques their terrorists. But these terrorists are on the next level, calling themselves Muslims but are Crazy!

It looks like they are destroying anything that has any (sentimental) link with the Shiites. I find it hard to believe an Islamist group like ISIS profits from this, I really don't see how this (destroying everything) helps them. The people already fled, the government does almost nothing, no other country wants to step in. They can do whatever they want and what do they do? Destroy artefacts.

It looks like they are destroying anything that has any (sentimental) link with the Shiites. I find it hard to believe an Islamist group like ISIS profits from this, I really don't see how this (destroying everything) helps them. The people already fled, the government does almost nothing, no other country wants to step in. They can do whatever they want and what do they do? Destroy artefacts.

I know, I think there's conflict between the 2 Islamic groups. Still, I don't know why their blowing each others mosques like a joke, and doing this is a severe sin! I don't know which group caused this.

I know, I think there's conflict between the 2 Islamic groups. Still, I don't know why their blowing each others mosques like a joke, and doing this is a severe sin! I don't know which group caused this.

It's actually not really the fault of either groups. I believe it's because the president only supported the Sunnis, who outnumber the Shiites by far. This caused outrage by the Shiites and joined forces with already radical groups, though not only in Iraq but also Syria.

Then the US sent a shipload of Hornets who are still not in use though Iraq needs the support. However the US doesn't support Iraqi government/president. I think they want him to resign..

Then the US sent a shipload of Hornets who are still not in use though Iraq needs the support. However the US doesn't support Iraqi government/president. I think they want him to resign..

In an ideal reality they would send this kind of hornets and everyone would have fun

2014-Honda-CB900-Hornet1.jpg

Even the fat guys.

The basic way to understand this situation is. In america if the republicans got kicked out of the government and they decided to form a massive redneck army and try to regain power These rednecks would be like what Isis is. They would be either called freedom fighters or terrorists

The main problem is, there are walking hundreds of military trained radicals and no one to step them.
Yes. They don't do this for fun though, there is a reason. And the reason I have given is what I believe to be the main cause.

The basic way to understand this situation is. In america if the republicans got kicked out of the government and they decided to form a massive redneck army and try to regain power These rednecks would be like what Isis is. They would be either called freedom fighters or terrorists

ISIS though is fighting for fundamentally different causes than a supposed redneck army would. Yes, they do seek power, but the Shia-Sunni rift is very deep and what started politically originally (the question of succession after the Prophet) undertook religious tones during the age of Caliphs and took a very violent tone recently. ISIS fervently believe that Shias are truly heretics and thus destroying their mosques is divine order. This is an abomination to me.

It doesn't help that Mideast governments help foster this cancerous environment by favoring one group over the other. If anything America should have pulled Maliki by the balls to make a more inclusive government. But like everything else it's easier said than done.

Last edited:
ISIS though is fighting for fundamentally different causes than a supposed redneck army would. Yes, they do seek power, but the Shia-Sunni rift is very deep and what started politically originally (the question of succession after the Prophet) undertook religious tones during the age of Caliphs and took a very violent tone recently. ISIS fervently believe that Shias are truly heretics and thus destroying their mosques is divine order.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they consider their struggle an existential one? In fact, is it not a question of a long-prophesied apocalyptic end-time showdown, winner-take-all?

Back