Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea, I think this would be do-able.

Just another thing, anyone that dups, trades, or anything of those sorts can kiss it all good bye! Here's why, an easy way to stop these cars from being made is, guess what, blocking the copying of save files!

If you can't copy your save files, there's no way of hacking these cars anymore. So all of you that constantly back up and restore, I can say with confidence that you can kiss those days good bye.

I agree.

How else can the game be fixed? Unless PD make the files 'read only'...:ouch:

They have plenty of time, that's their job ;). Somebody better be working over there :lol:.

I think what's more important now for them is to focus their efforts on GT6, and just do simple maintenance/Seasonals and OCD updates. Besides, this is what their fanbase has been crying out for all this time: engine swaps and extreme tuning/modifications that allows your cars' engines to reach 1200hp.

One more thing: a perfectly good reason why PD allowed players to copy their save files to a flash drive is so that you can store a backup of it so that, for whatever reason your game save suddenly gets corrupted, you'd still have all or most of your cars and other in-game items. It's very convenient, and I'm sure there are a lot of untold stories out there wherein people would have almost quit GT5 if they haven't had a backup of their save file in their computer.

blocking the copying of save files!

This is a ridiculous and backwards idea. It's my save, I should be doing what I want with it, and to make it so that you're guaranteed to lose it or that it's a hassle to get it from one console to another is crazy. This idea should never even be considered.

If that is PD's solution, they deserve to go out of business.

Exorcet
This is a ridiculous and backwards idea. It's my save, I should be doing what I want with it, and to make it so that you're guaranteed to lose it or that it's a hassle to get it from one console to another is crazy. This idea should never even be considered.

If that is PD's solution, they deserve to go out of business.

Since the models and physics belong to pd they might not like their work messed with.

Since the models and physics belong to pd they might not like their work messed with.

Then they need to secure those things. Locked saves are unacceptable, in all cases, for all games.

I'm surprised that you can even edit HP in the save file. I would have thought that the save data only contained the car and parts installed, and that the game would need to read this to generate the proper amount of power. It would have made modding impossible, but I guess it was not feasible for some reason.

Exorcet
Then they need to secure those things. Locked saves are unacceptable, in all cases, for all games.

I'm surprised that you can even edit HP in the save file. I would have thought that the save data only contained the car and parts installed, and that the game would need to read this to generate the proper amount of power. It would have made modding impossible, but I guess it was not feasible for some reason.

Ok you put across a good point they should be able to block these without messing with saves.

Yeah well I doubt that they will implement this... The online system in GT5 is slow as it is. It takes a considerable while to borrow cars, get into the open lobby menu, get into other peoples profiles in GT life... The game takes a few seconds when doing all of these of these things. So if it does get implemented it's not gonna be instantaneous that's for sure.

The online mode will take another hit to the already slow connecting process it is at the moment. If they implement a similar feature or function then as long as it's only gonna be used when connecting to the open lobby main menu then I won't mind.

Exactly, it looks like the servers are stretched as it is. My guess is that they have a business model something along the lines of; for the first 1-2 years they actually make money from game/DLC sales, for 3-4 years they continue online support for game, but its probably a loss leader by now so are reluctant to spend more than they have to on it, no major upgrades to the infrastructure and only minor bug fixes and the such like. Although if hybriding does go on to have a major impact on the online experiance then they may be forced to act as it potentially impacts on their reputation.

Last edited:

Most likely due to the amount of information that is spread over the disc and the installation on the console. That's all I can think of.

I'm very surprised this information is held on the save data as well but hey ho. I've said it already, PD should try to take at least some positives from this such as what we would actually like incorporated in the game and help make it better.

Its all about an even playing field. Your at SSR7 you pull up in your R35 you have worked so hard to tune for the tunnel. Another R35 pulls up hybrid style 4000 hp and you dont know it yet. You start the drag he pulls something ridiculous your like WTF because you cant find any good honest competition. Like one of the top tunnel drag guys said to me ”hybrids were made for the people who basically have not so good tunes and want to keep up with or beat the top guns without any work or effort" so true and this guy has a few hybrids his self but doesn't bring them out when its real competition time.

I think what's more important now for them is to focus their efforts on GT6, and just do simple maintenance/Seasonals and OCD updates. Besides, this is what their fanbase has been crying out for all this time: engine swaps and extreme tuning/modifications that allows your cars' engines to reach 1200hp.

The vast majority of the fanbase that asks for those things ask for them within the normal confines of the game. Not a bunch of shady save manipulations and looking at walls of hex codes :P

Besides, they do need to address the basic structure of how cars are modified now, because it's likely they'd use the same system in GT6, which could lead to this same problem.

Editing a horsepower multiplier =/= keying in a random horsepower number. The strange thing is why PD even bothers to leave a power multiplier in the code (as it's been there since at least GT3). I also find it strange the value for the engine is separate from the car itself, since there are no engine swaps. The save data does keep a list of which parts are installed; the issue is that there are no checks in place to ensure said parts are the ones originally offered in the game for that car. Instead, the save can take any car's upgrades, which is what my earlier suggestion was aiming to curb.

That's the problem when people abuse what's given to them. If people want to open up saves and modify them, we've given up our rights to have the luxury of copying them. Even though it's only a few select bunch doing this, it affects us all!

But I agree with you guys wondering why they hold such numbers on the save file. I'm sure they could add those to the game data file instead?

I would agree with letting the hosts decide. Realistic hacks such as a FR Integra or 600 hp FR-S are ok, but I think the EXTREME ones should be kept offline or for hack showoff rooms. (Speaking as an owner of a 17,997,431 hp X2011 :dopey: )

I like these hacked cars, maybe if we had the ability in game to make 1,000-1,500 hp cars and do drivetrain swaps all of this hacking wouldn't have happened. Most of my cars are in the 1,000-3,000 hp range but I do have some ridiculous ones like a 15,000,000 hp Audi R8, it's almost impossible to drive but still entertaining.

Personally I'm hoping the save file can be cracked. I'd love to be able to tune/manage the cars in my garage with an app on a PC/tablet/phone. (Would be a lot faster than doing it in-game, lol.)

BUT, PD definitely needs to implement some sanity checks in the code that loads the file to ensure the values in it are possible, and to ensure no one can subvert online race restrictions. i.e., filter user input. Something any half-decent website does.

This is re energizing interest in the game again for many. I hope pd realizes the popularity of this in a good way. People want to tune more! There's money to be made. The should sell an editor app.

They should just make an option for online rooms to have "hybrids allowed" and also hybrid class, like how fast the hybrid is. That should make some people happy while also keeping hybriding in game.

My feelings are that these silly high horse powers should not be in the game But on the other hand the in game tuning is not realistic at all. I will use one of my favorite cars as an example (Miata/MX-5/Roadster) In the game its max hp is around 250hp max I think but in real life 300hp is very easy with the 4 cylinder and even 800hp is possible. So for that reason my feelings are it should be kept for giving a car realistic power out puts untill Gran Turismo 5 give this level or tuning as part of the game.

Hybriding certainly answers a load of 'what if...?' questions and fuels one's curiosity, but for me, it's breaking the game.

I'm all for the hybrids as long as they are doing realistic things to the cars. I support the LS swap cars and some of the drift cars thaybi have seen so far from my friends in game. Its the unrealistic things that are done that are killing it.

My feelings are that these silly high horse powers should not be in the game But on the other hand the in game tuning is not realistic at all. I will use one of my favorite cars as an example (Miata/MX-5/Roadster) In the game its max hp is around 250hp max I think but in real life 300hp is very easy with the 4 cylinder and even 800hp is possible. So for that reason my feelings are it should be kept for giving a car realistic power out puts untill Gran Turismo 5 give this level or tuning as part of the game.

It's pretty hard to get so much HP out of MX5 (NA 1.6) Unless you turbo it with much boost but It wont be relieable at all anymore and very expensive ;)
And 800hp is just impossible... 230-250 is pretty realistic for a upgraded 1.6 Miata

It's pretty hard to get so much HP out of MX5 (NA 1.6) Unless you turbo it with much boost but It wont be relieable at all anymore and very expensive ;)
And 800hp is just impossible... 230-250 is pretty realistic for a upgraded 1.6 Miata

Never seid na 1.6. And the in game engine tuning should include boring the motor out and you can stroke the motor to 2.0L. I have seen daily drive roadsters running 300hp and then you could also compound charge for less lag and high power. Just a shame you would been alot of skill/money.

Here is a wee link for you. ;)

http://www.globalnetspace.com/miata/

Personally I think they should ban all them. Not the people just a patch of which gets ride of anything that doesn't match with there code. Really they could leave them as it doesn't matter much for just do something so they aren't allowed online and seasonals.

Never seid na 1.6. And the in game engine tuning should include boring the motor out and you can stroke the motor to 2.0L. I have seen daily drive roadsters running 300hp and then you could also compound charge for less lag and high power. Just a shame you would been alot of skill/money.

Here is a wee link for you. ;)

http://www.globalnetspace.com/miata/

Ah okay I was thinking about the NA because it gets 250hp Max and the NB few more horses. Kinda sad that there are no 1.8 NA Miatas only the 1.6 :/

They should strike down upon it with great fury and vengeance. Not only remove the modded cars but also ban accounts that has been using them.

Because:

How are we supposed to tell if someone has modded their car just slightly to get an advantage over everyone else? Everyone doesn't go bananas with a thousand godzillion horsepowers in a more than obvious way. Some modding may be extremely hard to detect, yet they provide the player with an unfair advantage over everyone else. If there is a possibility to cheat, it needs to be stopped. The only way to prevent future similar things to occur is to swing the banhammer so that people learn that it's not a good idea to manipulate game data.

Last edited:
Its the thing man, people has to be honest. Unfortunately that doesnt happen in real life nor gaming life.

Its the thing man, people has to be honest. Unfortunately that doesnt happen in real life nor gaming life.

If PD could come up with a way to make modding a part of the game (i.e. integrated in the user interface) and give online lobbies an option to allow or not allow modded cars, then modding could contribute a lot to GT5. In an uncontrolled environment it might just ruin things instead.

If GT6 is a PS3 game and the file structure is the same as in GT5, they must put a stop to it before they release GT6, otherwise that game will be modded from the start. GT5 is a rather old game by now and it's not the biggest disaster if it gets ruined by cheating this late in its life. But for GT6 to have cheaters from the start would be bad and put and end to all online credibility, effectively turning Gran Turismo into a single player game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back