::::: World Super GT Championship - [Thread 6 Closed] :::::

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 1,116 comments

Did you hear about the man who lost his whole left side?

• Total voters
Tell me if I got this right..

During qualify, you get 3 laps, right?

Do I run all 3 laps and the fastest one will be my qualification time, or do I have to drive 1 lap, wait, then do another one if I feel that I need to impove it?

And if you shoose to drive another lap, will that time erase my previous one regardless if the new lap is sloer then the first one?

I think it would be best if you got 3 laps, the best of the 3 will be your official qualification-time. Am I way off? :scared:

Tell me if I got this right..

During qualify, you get 3 laps, right?

Do I run all 3 laps and the fastest one will be my qualification time, or do I have to drive 1 lap, wait, then do another one if I feel that I need to impove it?

And if you shoose to drive another lap, will that time erase my previous one regardless if the new lap is sloer then the first one?

I think it would be best if you got 3 laps, the best of the 3 will be your official qualification-time. Am I way off? :scared:

right what happens is all the class will go to pits and one of the other class will watch you to make sure your laps our clean. at the start of the race only the person at front of pack moves and then every 15 secs after him the next car will set of. The laps are set on 4 and first you have standing start and cool tyres and last lap you drive slowly so masi can erite down times. So you get 2 hot laps.
the only reason we did twice tonight for gt300 is cause everything went wrong in first. but only the 2nd round times stood.

Do you understand. I think all qualifying done for this week though unless masi can fit you in somewere.

Only 14 went to qualify for GT500 anyway so you were safe even if you crashed out :D You should have never left GT300 man :D

Also, too bad Imari missed qualy.

I'm off early on friday so we are starting early. Most likely, start times will be around 09.00 - 10.00 pm GMT

Connect Time to will be 1.00 pm Eastern, race will be 1 hour later.

The hour gap is there to make sure everyone's in the race... and also for practice.

Only 14 went to qualify for GT500 anyway so you were safe even if you crashed out :D You should have never left GT300 man :D

Also, too bad Imari missed qualy.

I actually thought I wouldn't make it in to the race with that awful time, but not very many qualified...

Some of the fast guys that did not qualify this week for GT500

XsApollo
Sincx
GTP_Sigma
chorda
qczhao
johnkiller2

times are good for me. early the better as i have to work on saturday which sucls, so il need an early night lol

I foresee a lot potential issues with this cutting the corner business... It's going to be hard to police, so i expect everyone to be very vigilant; keep a sharp eye - or make it two, so eyes :)

If only we had something more than this donkey manure of a Replay System... ugh

Testing room going up tonight, 9pm JST/12pm midday GMT. Half hour shakedown session followed by two ten lap races at 9.30 and 10.00. All are welcome. Room number will be posted closer to the time.

About the curb issue.

I still think the best would be to view the track being limited to the flat asfalt defined by the white lines and view all curbs, ripples, etc as not part of the track.

With the two wheel rule, we can still use a lot of curb, just not put all four wheels on it. It would remove any grey area on what is a curb or not. It would also remove the unrealistic cutting where the whole car is on the grass with the exception of two wheels just touching the curb.

About the curb issue.

I still think the best would be to view the track being limited to the flat asfalt defined by the white lines and view all curbs, ripples, etc as not part of the track.

With the two wheel rule, we can still use a lot of curb, just not put all four wheels on it. It would remove any grey area on what is a curb or not. It would also remove the unrealistic cutting where the whole car is on the grass with the exception of two wheels just touching the curb.

Yes, but I don't think that there is a gray area at the moment. Red/white curbs are legit, green curbs are not. I think it's pretty simple really..

Testing room going up tonight, 9pm JST/12pm midday GMT. Half hour shakedown session followed by two ten lap races at 9.30 and 10.00. All are welcome. Room number will be posted closer to the time.

I'll be there!

I think the rule needs some explaining as to WHY it is the way it is.

The intention is that you run with two wheels on the track, meaning between the white lines. The rule allows for some error, as we know that driving fast is tough and the car doesn't always respond exactly as you wish. Therefore, you are allowed to run with only two wheels on the curbing without penalty. Particularly with narrow curbing like Monza, it is not intended that you should be trying to hit the curbing with your outside tyres every time. If you have your outside two wheels on the green, you have strayed from the acceptable racing line by a LOT, and are therefore penalised.

*Inside the white lines = approved racing area.
*Red-and-white curbing = not recommended for use. Allowable as leeway for mistakes.
*Green curbing = not allowable for use. Too far from the approved racing area.

If people aimed to drive safely, sensibly, and with a reasonable margin of error this wouldn't be a problem. This is why time trials are not good training for a race. Time trials encourage driving beyond your ability, and hoping that eventually through repetition you will string together one lucky lap where everything falls perfectly into place. Racing encourages driving within your limits in a safe and predictable fashion so as to minimise long term losses.

The intention is that you run with two wheels on the track, meaning between the white lines. The rule allows for some error, as we know that driving fast is tough and the car doesn't always respond exactly as you wish. Therefore, you are allowed to run with only two wheels on the curbing without penalty. Particularly with narrow curbing like Monza, it is not intended that you should be trying to hit the curbing with your outside tyres every time. If you have your outside two wheels on the green, you have strayed from the acceptable racing line by a LOT, and are therefore penalised.

*Red-and-white curbing = not recommended for use. Allowable as leeway for mistakes.

If people aimed to drive safely, sensibly, and with a reasonable margin of error this wouldn't be a problem. This is why time trials are not good training for a race. Time trials encourage driving beyond your ability, and hoping that eventually through repetition you will string together one lucky lap where everything falls perfectly into place. Racing encourages driving within your limits in a safe and predictable fashion so as to minimise long term losses.

Yes, and by pushing the limits, you also get a lot closer to penaltys. As the qualification is done now, with only 3 laps, you need to make sure that you don't push it to far.. I always aim to keep my outher wheels 50& on tarmac and 50% on curb (if the curb is "kind" enogh), I think that it gives me a margin for error, but still not get penalised..

About the curb issue.

👍

I think we are cutting too much in chicanes. It was like this in Nurburgring and its the same at Monza. In real life most of the guys would be DQ if they run like this. I always aim to drive only 2 wheels on the curb, but sometimes to follow other drivers i have to go all 4 wheels in the curb, and that doesn't feel good. Doesn't feel Legal to me.

Just my thought on this matter. I say we must keep 2 wheels on track(and by track i mean that black piece of tarmac :sly:), and if a driver doesn't follow that and goes 4 wheels on the curb, in Qualify his lap will be considered dirty, and on race, it will earn him a warning. Second time a penalty. Like Imari said, 4 wheels on curb should only happen when you pushed to hard, and not on a regular basis.

Yes, but I don't think that there is a gray area at the moment. Red/white curbs are legit, green curbs are not. I think it's pretty simple really..

On most tracks its simple, Monza for sure not. If you look at Paginas excellent photos. The second photo shows that the last part of the curb at corner exit is not a curb, its cement all the way to the tarmac. If you are picky, you need to two wheel on the tarmac at the last part of the turn. Also, the curbs are dirty making it difficult to see when driving.

But is there any downside to rule that two wheels always needs to be on the track tarmac. I don't see any. Also, I think we take to much curb as is, much more than in real racing. At Nurberg I was very aggressive at the chicane. I even set my car at nearly maximum ride hight to be able to take the chicane aggressive. I constantly try to cut many corners more than I feel is natural.

In terms of penalties, some of us had a very good discussion. In terms of un-clean cutting in the race, penalty would only be given if its repetitve and view as being part of the drivers normal racing line. Not for the one off incidents.

Masi,
pls reply to the penalty discussion. I think we came up with a great system for penalty at contact. Effective, simple to understand, and almost 100% fair. I think its important to have this system active to promote clean driving.

Back