VCRC Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe 54 CONGRATS OwensRacing & Carracerptp!

Hey guys. Im gonna have to let you down. This is my first race and all and im not off to a good start. But Im not gonna make it. Im not thrilled by any means but will definetly have to make the 2002 or ill probably be removed. I knew I shouldve went ahead and raced at the 4 o clock event.:ouch::ouch::dunce::grumpy:

Plans have changed, I can make the 9pm EST race tonight. Gotta get the car and have Bob break it in. I haven't practiced at all, but will do my best.

See you guy's tonight I hope.
One thinking is disconnecting and missing the race start by less than 10 seconds (Count down timer went red just as I loaded), but when I D/Ced I was on lap that was good for a 32.9 even if I messed up the last sector.... with a good last sector I would say a 32.7XX. I had finally got a good T2 and T3 with a "OK" T1.
Will we be using a fixed host room for tonight? and if so, who will host?

carracerptp
See you guy's tonight I hope.
One thinking is disconnecting and missing the race start by less than 10 seconds (Count down timer went red just as I loaded), but when I D/Ced I was on lap that was good for a 32.9 even if I messed up the last sector.... with a good last sector I would say a 32.7XX. I had finally got a good T2 and T3 with a "OK" T1.
Will we be using a fixed host room for tonight? and if so, who will host?

Shame you got DC'd... I think we should have aborted and let you in for the restart. You missed a great race, and could have completed an all ORCA podium!

Shame you got DC'd... I think we should have aborted and let you in for the restart. You missed a great race, and could have completed an all ORCA podium!
I was hoping I could slip in at the at the back of the pack.... I can race tonight and I think others can't make a late race....

carracerptp
I was hoping I could slip in at the at the back of the pack.... I can race tonight and I think others can't make a late race....

Yeah, I'm no longer able to make the late race... Should be you, Owens and Brandon though.

I thought I registered for tonight's event but I don't see my name on the list. I should make it barring a last minute call into work. Purple/red....:)

carracerptp

Appeared you was only a secs off from making it in. :(

As well I don't get this connection issue in GT5.

This is the menu when I make a room. I could do fixed host. However we've always went non fixed in other leagues. This way if something happens to my connection. Storm or something. The race doesn't end for everyone.

e4d86916.jpg

Now why would a Very High connection ever have issues? GT5 you are frustrating.

Scratch me...gotta work:yuck:

There's a chance I might make it but don't hold a spot open for me. If someone wants in they can take my spot, if I get back in time and it's still there I'll race. Got 2 laps in and was down to 2:36.8...very fun car to drive..:grumpy:

Appeared you was only a secs off from making it in. :(

As well I don't get this connection issue in GT5.

This is the menu when I make a room. I could do fixed host. However we've always went non fixed in other leagues. This way if something happens to my connection. Storm or something. The race doesn't end for everyone.

e4d86916.jpg

Now why would a Very High connection ever have issues? GT5 you are frustrating.

Odd, I don't D/C often and I have a very high connection but only NAT2.
I actually thought the room was fixed host, figured that's why I D/Ced (rarely in fixed host rooms)

carracerptp
Odd, I don't D/C often and I have a very high connection but only NAT2.
I actually thought the room was fixed host, figured that's why I D/Ced (rarely in fixed host rooms)

I'm convinced the best connection in the world would D/C and have issues on GT5.

I heard that the best connection :boggled: is "standard", as it stands, with various people... ??
Why? I don't know!!!!

It's SOOOOOO frustrating.
:( :( :grumpy:

But we will make a go at it in the VCRC lounge tonight.

I'm going to set mics to disabled before race time.
I'm HOPING it was just a couple of people who were having isolated issues this afternoon. :( :( :grumpy:
Could it have something to do with it being Friday?
I know years back in some online computer games, weekends would often bring more connection issues. But I have no idea how it works with this.

SORRY PEOPLES. It really made me mad!! :mad:

That said, it was a fun race after all... at least for me.
(I took jackargent's advice and stayed on the gray bits, and didn't take any beach holidays... and I wound up besting him. lol)

My PC is not hooked up right now but last test I recall

20 down 5 up

A+ Ping rating from Pingtest

No other items online in house. Secure network. PS3 is wired.

Def the game.

Yeah I think so. I don't have a super-fast connection (it's DSL) - but from what I understand our area has really quality connection. I mean as far as reliable & quality standard.
My ps3 is wired, and I don't even run a wireless network because I live in the city and I used to have a job managing a secure wireless network and I thought it was a pain. lol So we just have cat5 cables hidden about.
And nobody is streaming or doing any heavy internet usage while racing is going on with the ps3.
At most one or 2 of 4 computers might be turned on at the same time as the ps3, and since there's just 2 of us, it's not like a whole lot of internet usage would be happening while the other is racing. We don't do heavy downloading, and mostly only stream audio when doing other things, not racing, and only stream video on the ps3 - again, when not playing gt5.

Unless the cats have some secret computer & online cyber-life we don't know about. ;)
cat.gif

It's definitely the game.
Because I had ZERO problems last year. And now I have problems. But not all the time. :boggled:
Days could go by with no problems at all.
Then suddenly we (at our house Miata_1 & I) see lagging cars & get disconnected from lobby/lounge repeatedly closely in time.
????
At first I thought it was because we moved to a new house. We had newly installed lines. But all the other equipment & service company is identical. And the connection numbers are identical to what I measured at my previous residence last year from that speedtest site.
:confused:

No clue.

RE: Sign-ups and duck outs...

Sorry if I've lost track of who's coming, and who has found they can't make it.

Just want to say:

@ recent sign-ups: WELCOME! Look forward to seeing you on track!

@ those who can't make it: Sorry to miss you! But we understand, c'est la vie! Hope to see you on track another time!

I think we're going to have 8-10 cars on track. So it should be an exciting race.

For me, as a spectator. BTW.
It will not be me in the race, but Bender2011 / Miata_1

I'm in...I'm out...make up my mind!!!:sly:

I made it back in time...if there's still room I'll give it a go:tup:

GMT Division Results

1. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / green colourshift
  2. Naptown25rs / NCemtB / Designo Mysticweiss & Schwarz
  3. TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / white & white
  4. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Spacegrun & Schwarz
  5. Cote Dazur / cotedazur06 / Elfenbein & Elfenbein
  6. jackargent / jackargent / Feuerwehrrot & Feuerwehrrot

EST Division Results

1. Carracerptp / Carracerptp / Travertinbeige & Feuerwehrrot
  2. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / green colourshift
  3. Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / purple & Feuerwehrrot
  4. dsgerbc / dsgerbc / blaugrau & blaugrau
  5. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / Feuerwehrrot & Feuerwehrrot
  6. Cote Dazur / cotedazur06 / Elfenbein & Elfenbein
  7. TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / glacier white & Feuerwehrrot
  8. bender2011 / miata_1 / Hellblau & Hellblau
  9. GTSail290 / GTSail2 / blue & blue
  10. anotherdike / anotherdike / Schwarz & Schwarz

Good races! :D 👍

watermelonpunch
GMT Division Results

[*]OwensRacing / OwensRacing / green colourshift
[*]Naptown25rs / NCemtB / Designo Mysticweiss & Schwarz
[*]TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / white & white
[*]watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Spacegrun & Schwarz
[*]Cote Dazur / cotedazur06 / Elfenbein & Elfenbein
[*]jackargent / jackargent / Feuerwehrrot & Feuerwehrrot

EST Division Results

[*]Carracerptp / Carracerptp / Travertinbeige & Feuerwehrrot
[*]OwensRacing / OwensRacing / green colourshift
[*]Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / purple & Feuerwehrrot
[*]dsgerbc / dsgerbc / blaugrau & blaugrau
[*]BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / Feuerwehrrot & Feuerwehrrot
[*]Cote Dazur / cotedazur06 / Elfenbein & Elfenbein
[*]TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / glacier white & Feuerwehrrot
[*]bender2011 / miata_1 / Hellblau & Hellblau
[*]GTSail290 / GTSail2 / blue & blue
[*]anotherdike / anotherdike / Schwarz & Schwarz

Good races! :D 👍

Strong Work ORCA Crew!!!

Congratulation to Owens and Carracertpt in particular and to everybody else for some fun and clean racing. I had learned from my first race and the second was very pleasent.

I have noticed that the faster guy's ( you know who you are ) were faster than me by about 1.5 second in T1 alone, I tried hard to close the gap, but at this time I have no idea how to gain so much time in T1.
Would it be possible to have some type of coaching for the guy's like me, interested but not so fast yet, during the practises? This might not be practicle or deasirable, it is just a suggestion.

First congrats Carr and Owens 👍

Thanks for organizing and hosting Miata and Punch:tup:👍

Congratulation to Owens and Carracertpt in particular and to everybody else for some fun and clean racing. I had learned from my first race and the second was very pleasent.

I have noticed that the faster guy's ( you know who you are ) were faster than me by about 1.5 second in T1 alone, I tried hard to close the gap, but at this time I have no idea how to gain so much time in T1.
Would it be possible to have some type of coaching for the guy's like me, interested but not so fast yet, during the practises? This might not be practicle or deasirable, it is just a suggestion.

One thing I highly recommend Dazur is saving and watching the replay after a race. Early on in the game when I lost to someone online, I'd save the replay and switch back and forth from the leader to me to see what the different lines on the track were and why I was losing. That helped a lot. I'm always willing to help out on track if we can figure out a time to get together but I'll give you some general tips here to get you started.

1. Try to stay in the dark area of the track. That's where the most grip is and usually the best line around a corner. The odd time it pays to go outside the line for a better approach but for now, stay on the dark areas.

2. As a general rule, if the front end is pushing or the back end is kicking out, you are going too fast in that particular corner. If it's just a touch and easily controllable it's ok, but big smoky drifts or pushing wide and cranking the wheel cost you time and tire wear. Sometimes you have to do these things to save the corner but try to avoid them whenever possible. If you watch the replay, you'll notice various levels of tire wear and some guys will probably have awful front tires. That's an accumulation of corners going too deep, pushing the front and cranking the wheel over to compensate. That really adds up in 17 laps.

3. Exit speed is the key to fast laps. The weakest aspec of most online racers skillset is corner entry which leads to slow corner exit. Slow and steady in, smooth and fast out will get you far faster laps than fast in and wild out. Related to number 2 above, if you are pushing the front end or losing the back on entry, you are going too fast. Slow down, it's faster. Again, watch the replay and I bet most of the front runners are smooth and steady in on most corners, on the power early and out to the curbs on exit.

4. Practice. For an event like yesterday's race, it pays to run at least 10-15 laps on the track to get a feel for the car and how it handles with some tire wear. Concentrate not on being fast but in being smooth. The speed will come.

5. Brake balance. I ran 5/5 on this car as it seemed balanced on entry but keep in mind brake balance is the only thing you can tune so use it. In the stock Alfa Zagato series I ran everything from 2/3 to 4/1 to 6/4 depending on the track. Some tracks really allow a car to rotate and others do not. Using lower front brakes helps a car to rotate into the corner a bit but you want to make sure the back end isn't kicking out under braking, at least more than a tiny bit anyway. It is possible with a lot of practice and track time to set up controlled drifts or use higher rear brakes but at first try to use as much rear as you can without losing the back end on entry. Most cars will be fine in the 4-5/4-5 range.

Hope that helps and if we can hook up for an on track session when it's convenient for both of us I'll be glad to help. :)

That's very helpful Johnnypenso. Thank you.

Of course, I know all this, or most of it at least, it's just implementing it that's sometimes a problem. LOL

That said I was pretty good with the Mercedes race yesterday. I don't think I smoked the tires at all. :D

Yesterday Bender2011/miata_1 said to me, "hey, you improved when I wasn't looking". haha

Just a note:
The main VCRC thread is here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=209408

Feel free to discuss vintage cars or races on there, and make suggestions. :D

The OP also has a list of currently scheduled races, races that are being planned, and a list of previous VCRC races. 👍

I ran 4F 7R brake balance in yesterday's race.

I had it at 4/8 at one point but as the rear tires wore away I went back to 4/7 and considered 4/6

I have buttons programmed so I can access the Real Time Adjustment menu. Access to Brake Balance.

Thank you Johnnypenso, for the your answer, full of very good advice, some new and some forgotten. I did the Laguna track this aftenoon and keeping your advice in mind, my lap that I would have rated non eventfull, actually turned my fastest 2,00.526.
I also discovered that brake pedal was not giving me full brake, after playing with it a little bit, I am back to 100% braking.
What I would be curious to do at one point, if possible, with you or an other fast guy, is have you follow me and tell me where do you think I am loosing time. particularely curious about that T1 with the SL at GPF.

What I would be curious to do at one point, if possible, with you or an other fast guy, is have you follow me and tell me where do you think I am loosing time. particularely curious about that T1 with the SL at GPF.

I did notice you seemed to have issue with T1... BUT... in this Mercedes 54, that turn is a big big problem, so it's not surprising. The car is a total boat on that corner.
I can't really describe it... But I did notice that I got through the corner the fastest, when I made it so I could straighten out & get on the throttle the soonest.
In another car I might make a smoother roundy line. But in this boaty car, I found taking an angular path seemed to help.
But that's just me, and I was by no means very fast. lol (Though generally I was on target with the best lap in sector 1, it was later where I lost tons of time generally.)

Back