GTP NASCAR Truck Series S1 - Droptop2001gt Champion!!!

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 431 comments

What Road Course should we have for Race 3?

• None - just ovals.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Daytona Infield

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Indianapolis F1

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Laguna Seca

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's madness I tell ya, 4 wide with two-car drafts working well!

EDIT: Tutorial on two car drafting - two car drafts work with drafts. The fastest way around the track is running nose to tail literally pushing someone along... As you can see from this video - when it works you gain a HUGE amount of time on everyone else, when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong.

Last edited:
Put me down for the Chevrolet. I won't be able to make every race but I'll attend when I can.

Hmmm may have to consider if u stay in the Ford, as it definatley has no solo speed. The two car draft does work wonders though. Think I have my drafting partner in mind ;)

Madness tonight, 2 car drafting, big wrecks, sideways at 185 and keeping it together... whoop whoop it was epic!!!

Stay low... stay low... ahem, yeah, I've got a question now before the first race to make things clear: how is the grid decided for the quali race itself? Do we run a secondary quali race to determine the grid for the main quali race? :lol:

Stay low... stay low... ahem, yeah, I've got a question now before the first race to make things clear: how is the grid decided for the quali race itself? Do we run a secondary quali race to determine the grid for the main quali race? :lol:

That is decided through your practise times. And yeaha Carbonox, you weave too much. NO OVERTAKING BELOW THE YELLOW LINE ANYONE!!!

I'm just not used to keeping the cars steady (especially these heavy trucks) but I'll try my best, the quali race should be a good final practice. As you could see, I totally hate the walls...

BTW, it'll be interesting to see how the cars look after 60 laps of rubbing and possibly hard crashing which sends guys in the air :sly:

It was fun. Keep in eye for Sumo's ride.... it'll shock into moving out the way with it's colours... :lol:

It really seems that Sumo has an exotic taste when it comes to car colors :lol:

You guys seem to have a rivalry, you were always rubbing each other when I saw you racing closely... but that last race was a bit nasty when Sumo didn't ever pass me (or mostly us) until the very end... pfft... :ouch:

It really seems that Sumo has an exotic taste when it comes to car colors :lol:

You guys seem to have a rivalry, you were always rubbing each other when I saw you racing closely... but that last race was a bit nasty when Sumo didn't ever pass me (or mostly us) until the very end... pfft... :ouch:

It's bump drafting. Fastest way around a track. Two cars push each other and get around faster. The car behind saves fuel as well. You need to start to do it as well.

You can as well change my entry for Chevrolet, I'll have to see in the future if there's a setup that could make the Dodge do equal, or close to equal laptimes.

RP, you're not alone... I have only done some 2-car online races on oval courses before this... Can't say I'm experienced with online group battles, but as long as no one's lagging, it should be fine.

It's bump drafting. Fastest way around a track.

How is bump drafting faster than doing the sort of leap frogging trading draft passing with a good run-up?
Because on the times I've traded drafting in the leap frog way with good run-ups... I can always hit a higher top speed and get a better lap time. Bump drafting seems slow in comparison to that.

This is assuming the car you partner up is on the same page & cooperating, and not freaking out about you passing them with 20 laps to go in a race. :rolleyes: And assuming that you develop a sort of rhythm & strategy with a certain run-up area to draft in on each successive pass trade.
But I've done it successfully many times, and it definitely seems faster than bump drafting by a long shot.

That said, not a wise idea if you're in a clump of cars. But if you've got 2 or 3 cars isolated, cooperating, they could easily catch up doing this faster than bump drafting. I'm saying if you're separated from the bunch & looking to catch back up to the front pack.

But lots of times in online races, it's like people don't think of this. Instead of cooperating to catch back up to the front pack, they continue to battle another car for 8th position. lol :boggled: When sensibly, you'd think why would you want to get ahead or mind if someone else got ahead of you, with a dozen laps still to go in the race??

I watched some of the NASCAR all day Thursday races last week (I was not participating the person who shares my ps3 was racing.) People were doing awfully dumb things in those races. Like making risky passes on the outside at the corners (& taking people out in the process or sliding up the walls), battling for 9th position when they could've cooperated to catch back up to the front pack... etc etc.

(Note: I'm now worried about being quoted out of context. LOL :lol:)

Leapfrogging just doesn't work. It isn't faster if you can bump-draft properly and it wears tires more and burns fuel.

If you seen the race I won you would have known saving fuel was important.;)

Plus you're keeping a steady strong pace all the way round, rather than letting your speed run high then low then high etc etc. You 'may' only get to do it once a lap as well which is time consuming.

The only time for leap frogging in a 60 lap race, is when you have pushed someone for 50 something of them ;)

Leapfrogging just doesn't work. It isn't faster if you can bump-draft properly and it wears tires more and burns fuel.

If you seen the race I won you would have known saving fuel was important.;)

Well I would like this explained to me better how it is that bump drafting can be faster. Because I've never hit a higher speed with it that way.

And is tire wear & fuel a real issue with a mere 20 laps at Daytona?
Also, is it a real issue if there's a mandatory pit in a longer race?
I mean if you have to pit anyway, what difference would it make?

I don't know that I saw the race you won. But I did see you take a couple cars out & send them spinning off track, which I guess is a pretty effective way of beating the competition. :lol:

The only time for leap frogging in a 60 lap race, is when you have pushed someone for 50 something of them ;)

Or how about when the other car doesn't want to cooperate with bump drafting at all?
If they won't do it, then leap frogging is your only alternative.

I'm saying when you deal with people trying to take you out instead of letting you bump draft them, or they try to take you out instead of bump drafting your car.

Your absolutely right. You get people wanting to race you on every straight and bend. Run enough daytona (and Indy) and you will very quickly see the pair up guys (or the single straggler floating behind - perfect position) will always win when they break from the pack. There are a few very good partnerships out there that when you come across them, you know you have your work cut out.

Those that try to 'race' rather than cooperate are the ones that cause the wrecks. Avoid them early on and get yourself a partner quick or you could lose lead pack after a wreck around you.

Bearing this in mind, I see the Trucks being a little different, but can't give all my secrets away now ;)

I completely agree. It's imperative to size up the other drivers fast, & know which unstable frantic competing cars to steer clear of, for sure. lol
Odd thing was in that race I referred to the other day... the same people who before the race emphatically were asking people if they were cooperators... some were the same people who were risky passing on the corners, taking people out with rear-clipping, and refusing to bump draft or leap at all, and were actively blocking & doing flailing weaves. LOL

Of course I realize that different races have different ideas of what's "clean".
And that particular race series was nowhere near as strict as some of the clean or kick NASCAR pub lobbies I've seen.

And, for example, I've noticed that some TOCA participants have had trouble adapting in races using the GTP OLR Rules, or so they claim, so I'm assuming I should expect more dirty tricks as acceptable strategic maneuvers in this race series, compared to say some races using the GTP OLR Rules.

As for pick-up trucks. The only time I've driven pick-up trucks on ovals before is when I've been lucky enough to get one in a shuffle race. LOL So I'm not sure what would be different about trucks.

Indeed with bump drafting what it is is that when you are behind you are experiencing a lot less dirty air and turbulence from the car in front, it is doing all the hard work for you. So you encounter less air resistance and as a result you gain speed, so you push the car faster. This saves the "pusher" fuel as well. The "puller" is also however as a result always at the risk of being turned around, so on worn tyres we may see a few spins as well.

Also pushing during turns is very risky, not recommended unless you have absolute clear communication and understanding with your other driver. As a final example - here is a picture of me and RacerPaul bump drafting last night:

superspeedwaydaytonao.jpg

On our own we can do 185-192mph... two cars together... we hit a peak speed of 208mph.

Also if you got a headset or mic, charge it up for tonight... you'll need. Should be good tonight - Room open around 7.25 BST, Qualli Race 7.45, the 60-lap feature shorty afterwards.

But there's no tire wear according to the original post, eh?

Yeah there is...

MR MULSANNE PRESENTS... THE NASCAR TRUCK SERIES!
Lounge Settings:

Room Open Around 7pm British Time
Race Start 7.45pm British Time (Roughly)
Grip Reduction Real
Mics Enabled
Damage Limited
No Cautions - Make a mistake and you pay the consequences.
Fuel Use and Tyre Wear On

Will this definatley finish in time for my Sprint Cup Race tonight?

Plus, this, Sprint Cup and soon to come Nationwide .... Feel just like Kyle Bush ;)

Shame they are not on the relevant Fri / Sat / Sun lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back