Online-A Challenge No. 2 [1/16]

Yay! Proper thread on this Challenge! Here is a look at my journey here...

ROME:
The first time I entered this event, I used my Premium Mazda 6/Atenza (my "touring car"). I couldn't catch the leading Honda Prelude who was too far ahead. Even at the expense of being considered a "fanboy"... when one Mazda fails, bring a better Mazda! Enter my 1990 Savanna RX-7. Whooped ass. Plenty. Even did the race twice with the '90 RX-7 to show my mastery of this event.

TOKYO:
Honda probably wouldn't like if an American car beat a Japanese car on the Japanese car's home soil. That's what happened the first time I did this event, as my Premium NSX-R failed to catch the leading Shelby Series 1 by 10 seconds. So I backed out and tried again. This time, slapping on some Racing Hard tires. Did this race twice and dominated both times.

MADRID:
I was a bit curious. I have failed multiple times downtuning very fast race cars in some of the Seasonal events requiring cars be 650 PP or less. So I experimented with downtuning my McLaren F1 to see if I could beat 11 pure race cars on a technical street course. I tried... and I WON! This car just screams with power even on a course like Madrid. My McLaren F1 was equipped with Racing Hard tires. This is one of the rare accomplishments for me in Gran Turismo- beating a bunch of race cars with a Production/Normal car. I once beat five other Super GT cars around Tokyo R246 in Gran Turismo 4 with the Suzuki GSX/R4 Concept Car, but this is a time where I actually beat out an entire field of race cars with a "Normal" car.

So my "record" in my Online A-Spec Challenge 2 run is 5-2. I feel a bit saddened that a Level 6 car was offered as a prize. I probably felt this wasn't going to be too competitive of a series. I knew it would be tough if (for example) a Level 22 Coupon was offered for a Seasonal. Still, this was a great challenge.

Rome-Mini, slightly modded. No challenge
Tokyo-Evora, same tuning as for Eiger TT, but upped the tranny. No challenge.
Madrid-GT-R, slightly tuned, non RM. Damn fun. Won by .9 second.

I took the Hommell Berlinette for the 400 and 500 PP races. Used it only with a small HP upgrade to reach 400 PP and then almost completely tuned with 500 PP and reached the first place after one round in both races (and in the other ASpec Challenge aswell). Imo a really underrated car for medium PP range!

Nice challenge for the new DLC.

Took the first race with the Nissan Leaf, the second with the Mini Countryman Cooper S after flipping over three times in a lap with the Beetle 1200 :-). The third race was a easy win with the Lamborghini Aventador.

My favorite car for the 400 is the BMW 2002 '73 tuned to 399 PP with racing mediums rubber.

The BMW M1 at 650 is a great race with racing mediums (1.17-1.19 laps).

I have yet to do the middle one. That's the mission tonight.

Turns out the Xanavi GT-R '03 wins Madrid pretty easily and is a blast to drive on this course. I don't have an M1 (not sure I've heard of it) but maybe I'll have to buy one and try it out. I used an M3 and won Tokyo without much trouble.

For the first time in some time, I won the 500PP event around Tokyo in a car other than an NSX. I decided to tune my Ferrari 512BB just enough while not going real overboard. I probably just had an ECU tune for my 1976 sports car. Afterwards, I just toned down the power as well as add some Racing Hard tires. I ended up winning by about seven or nine seconds. I love using the 512BB. You just have to be careful not to slide her out too much. And of course, there's nothing wrong with spanking a bunch of fairly new cars with an pretty old car! :D

i used the Pagani Zonda LM car for the Madrid race. struggled catching the BMW McLaren F1 GTR on the first attempt with the car stock, then lowered the suspension by 20mm front and rear and won by 1 second. was an enjoyable challenge :)

For the first time in some time, I won the 500PP event around Tokyo in a car other than an NSX. I decided to tune my Ferrari 512BB just enough while not going real overboard. I probably just had an ECU tune for my 1976 sports car. Afterwards, I just toned down the power as well as add some Racing Hard tires. I ended up winning by about seven or nine seconds. I love using the 512BB. You just have to be careful not to slide her out too much. And of course, there's nothing wrong with spanking a bunch of fairly new cars with an pretty old car! :D

I'm working on a 450PP Ford Focus ST170 that should be able to beat this race, although as it stands I'm going to have to equip Sports Soft tyres, which I'm not too happy about. Running Sports Hard tyres, I can grab 4th place...

{Cy}

All cars stock with stock tyres...

DLC Mini Cooper - Rome
RUF RGT - Tokyo
Ferrari 330P4 - Madrid

Had a go in the new Vantage @ Tokyo the other night. Had to detune it slightly then put sport mediums on, but I came a close second.

Today, I tried again, figuring the win was there and couldn't even keep up with the back markers.

Now I'm used to there being a wide variation for the front runners, but this was a bit odd.

I ran Madrid with a Spyker C8 Laviolette and finished 3rd...didn't even see the Zonda or the McLaren F1, they were so far ahead...lol

Lots of people keep saying Tokyo on A-Spec 2 is too easy - could you please point me in the right direction then?

I've tried a variety of cars (M3, Vantage, Evo, Impreza, Evora, GT-R, NSX, even an extremely detuned Aventador), but I've never been able to catch the leading NSX or Shelby - they finish the three laps around 5:53/5:55, I've once managed a 5:58, but usually keep hitting 6:00/6:01.

Tyres are SH and will stay SH, I have and can win on SM/SS, that's not the point.

The M3 should be able to win in on SH .
A lot of fun and a challenge but possible

i dont think its a good idea to detune cars for these type of events. i think you will be better off finding a slightly worse car and then tuning it if u really need to. the lambo is definitely too heavy

Ever since the 2.03 & this seasonal came around the Tokyo track makes my PS3 freeze at exactly the same point every time I try to run the race regardless of which car I use which is very frustrating!

I used the M3 to win this event but I think I used SS. Now I'll have to go back tonight and see if I can win it on SH. Love the challenge!

I always run these seasonals with whatever tires the AI use, so Comfort Softs for the 400PP, Sports Hards for the 500PP, and Racing Hards for the 650 PP. I was actually surprised with the 500 PP on Tokyo, it was a lot harder to win than the previous race on Trial Mountain.

Mac K
I always run these seasonals with whatever tires the AI use, so Comfort Softs for the 400PP, Sports Hards for the 500PP, and Racing Hards for the 650 PP. I was actually surprised with the 500 PP on Tokyo, it was a lot harder to win than the previous race on Trial Mountain.

Thanks, that confirms what I was suspecting - the usual RS crowd complaining about it being too easy...

btw, on the 400PP/Rome my AI is using SH. Which actually helps to make the race more exciting - they're not as slow in the corners, so a nice 380PP car on CS can have a good time in the race.

I'm using a Zonda R with all upgrades and some ballast to keep it on 650pp. Pretty new to these hard races. Does anyone know what setup I should use because I keep getting 3rd and can never catch up to the 1st and 2nd cars. Also I raced this once all I saw were antique cars gt40 some old jaguars pretty weird. I raced in tokyo like 10 times and i got a 170% bonus on xp and credits so I made like 10,000,000 in no time and I'm at level 26 now because of the ridiculous amount of xp. used the 91 gtr r32 with some upgrades very easy race.

Lots of people keep saying Tokyo on A-Spec 2 is too easy - could you please point me in the right direction then?

I've tried a variety of cars (M3, Vantage, Evo, Impreza, Evora, GT-R, NSX, even an extremely detuned Aventador), but I've never been able to catch the leading NSX or Shelby - they finish the three laps around 5:53/5:55, I've once managed a 5:58, but usually keep hitting 6:00/6:01.

Tyres are SH and will stay SH, I have and can win on SM/SS, that's not the point.

I used the Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07 with full tune and wing with SH. I think the pp was around 460-480. Took a couple tries, but was able to get first. In my race, I got 2:02, 2:00, and 2:00.

By the way, the NSX started 2nd and did not get into first place under half way through the third lap, and then I passed it.

I had previously tried S2000 (SH) and also Lotus 111R04 (SH) and could only get 3rd or 4th.

My McLaren F1 was equipped with Racing Hard tires. This is one of the rare accomplishments for me in Gran Turismo- beating a bunch of race cars with a Production/Normal car. I once beat five other Super GT cars around Tokyo R246 in Gran Turismo 4 with the Suzuki GSX/R4 Concept Car, but this is a time where I actually beat out an entire field of race cars with a "Normal" car.

Doesn't count. A McLaren F1 with racing hards IS a race car. :P

I won Madrid with several cars, including the same ones that the AI use (Zonda LM, Ford GT LM, and BMW F1 GTR)...but the most fun was probably the Diablo Nomad. I came close with the 'vette C5R, but couldn't do better than 3rd with the Camaro LM for some strange reason. Almost got it with the ZZII, but the handling is just two twitchy on a couple of the chicanes.

I think I can win it with the HEP G37...gonna give it a shot this evening.

The CSL is a blast for the middle race, if you use the right tires and detune it a bit (That car is such a handling monster...one of my favorites).

BTW - Those ^ were all on sport tires. Race tires make all of the races pretty easy. (Tried Madrid with the Mclaren F1 on race softs just for the hell of it, and had a 5 second lead over the Ford GT LM at the end of 4 laps).

Last edited:
Ever since the 2.03 & this seasonal came around the Tokyo track makes my PS3 freeze at exactly the same point every time I try to run the race regardless of which car I use which is very frustrating!

Have you tried cleaning your disk?

I used the Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07 with full tune and wing with SH. I think the pp was around 460-480. Took a couple tries, but was able to get first. In my race, I got 2:02, 2:00, and 2:00.

By the way, the NSX started 2nd and did not get into first place under half way through the third lap, and then I passed it.

I had previously tried S2000 (SH) and also Lotus 111R04 (SH) and could only get 3rd or 4th.

I think the issue is that the AI seem to vary in terms of their times. Sometimes I get a Lotus that keeps winning in 5:53. In that case I can't seem to beat it. But other times the AI car comes in at around 6:03/6:05 which I can beat.

BTW, another fun car for this race is a Ferrari California '08.

Back