UKGTP7 - UKGTP International (5th-7th May)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,152 comments
Your biggest concern when driving in the UK should be that you're driving a left-side car on streets made for right-side driving, so that can throw you abit off, specially when turning into othr streets.

A funny thing happened today. I'm usually the only English speaker amongst my friends, so whenever someone's trying to elarn it, they turn to me, since out of every 10 words I say, at least 4 are in English... but today I met a group of Americans and Brits, and I got stuck saying every word!

The point of the story is that no matter how shy you are, you'll probably feel a bit intimidated, but since none of us are out to get you (as in make a fool of yourself for your lack of perfect English skills), and the fact that we're all meeting for a common purpose and most of us don't know each other personally, I wouldn't be too worried about being shy. I haven't met any of the atendees in person, although I've developed some sort of on-line friendship with a few of them...

Personally, 40% of the reason for going to this is playing GT4. The rest is having a good time drinking, talking and sharing the experience with people who share common interests. I'm pretty sure that's what the rest of us are in for too. :)

With that said, I'm really looking forward to this.

@ Famine: I'm using 95 oct sometimes 98 oct here in Belgium. What do I have to use in England? I don't know if I can use my debit card to gas up (refuel). Can you provide me (if I'm coming, with exact address). I using a GPS and I have a detailed map of England.
What is the topspeed allowed on the highway?
Is there something else I need to know, traffic wise??? Please let me know.
Using "Le shuttle" would be the best solution I hope.

Is there something else I have think off, pleas let me know.

Normal unleaded is 95RON, Super Unleaded is 98RON - both on green pumps. If your debit card has a chip in it you will be able to use it at a petrol station.

On the BLUE labelled roads (Motorways) the speed limit is 70mph (112km/h).
UNLESS SIGNPOSTED OTHERWISE, all other roads are:
Two-or-more-lanes in each direction: 70mph (112km/h)
One lanes in each direction: 60mph (96km/h)

When you see this sign:
signs39.gif

These are the limits that apply. Typically in town you'll be limited to 30mph (48km/h) or 40mph (64km/h), increasing as you leave built-up areas. You may also find other limits - especially on the A1/A1(M) and typically for roadworks. These will be signposted.

Speed cameras are set to activate at no less than +10% +2mph, under ACPO guidelines.

You may find this site useful.

I'll PM you the exact address and a map. It's really very easy to get to indeed.

Oh, and Ashley barely spoke at all during UKGTP6, and we didn't rip on him at all. Until now, obviously :D

Your biggest concern when driving in the UK should be that you're driving a left-side car on streets made for right-side driving, so that can throw you abit off, specially when turning into othr streets.
I would say that would be kikie's major concern. The speed limits for the different types of road are roughly the same as he would have in Belgium, but driving on the "wrong" side of the road will be strange.

(as in make a fool of yourself for your lack of perfect English skills)
The only perfect English speaker there will be Famine! The rest of us are just going to spend the time saying, "pardon?", "sorry?", and "Could you repeat that?" :dopey:

And when we're driving, as long as you understand "sorry" and "get out my way" you'll be ok!

I was just reading through this, I can't wait till I'm old enough to travel across an ocean to play a video game for a weekend.... (Looking at you Smallhorses! ;)) And also.... Wow, kikie, the octane ratings where you live are really high... the regular fuel here is 87 octane, the top is usually 91!

Also, wouldn't Smallhorses be competent in English? Seeing as it is his native language? But then again, UK and US English are totally different.

And also.... Wow, kikie, the octane ratings where you live are really high... the regular fuel here is 87 octane, the top is usually 91!

It's a different system - yours is a better one.

91 octane (PON) = 97RON, give or take.

Inkidinkly, Smallhorses will be over here anyway and just happens to be dropping by to play GT4. SWIFT will be flying over JUST for this event...

Depends on how he pronounces some words! oj

Like Aluminium for instance.

Kikie, don't worry about being shy, I doubt you'll be the only one who's shy/nervous.

Aaah, thanks for clearing it up Famine! 👍 Also, the U.S. has an alternate spelling for Aluminium, we drop the last i so its just Aluminum. :)

It's a different system - yours is a better one.

91 octane (PON) = 97RON, give or take.

Inkidinkly, Smallhorses will be over here anyway and just happens to be dropping by to play GT4. SWIFT will be flying over JUST for this event...
...and don't forget I have to drive about 700 km (one way). And Dustdriver even more. Don't add my name to the list as off yet. I'll let you know in time when you can add my name to the list.

That's 875 miles in total.

...and don't forget I have to drive about 700 km (one way). And Dustdriver even more.

My total round trip will be 400 miles. daan will cover about 500 miles.

In fact, only VEXD and EXelero are Newarkianese.

@ kikie: I don't know yet if i'm going 2 or 3 days.
Also Serge.Denayer may be going, and he would be going by train.
And i would be going for the lowest cost and i think it costs less by train then by car, but i haven't calculated the costs yet.

Not if we all 3 go by car and devide the costs. let me know how much it cost to go by train. I'll decide later. Going by car is so much more fun than going by train.

I come to think off something. Is the (plug) socket of a (European) PS or wheel compatibel in England?

Are these the common sockets used in the uk?
cliff_british_electrical_socket.jpg

Then there is a problem, since the continental European sockets are different.
If someone could bring a European to UK converter plug, then i can bring an extension cord so that we can plug in multiple european ps2's and dfp's.

I would say that would be kikie's major concern. The speed limits for the different types of road are roughly the same as he would have in Belgium, but driving on the "wrong" side of the road will be strange.

The only perfect English speaker there will be Famine! The rest of us are just going to spend the time saying, "pardon?", "sorry?", and "Could you repeat that?" :dopey:

And when we're driving, as long as you understand "sorry" and "get out my way" you'll be ok!
It is a shame GT4 does not have any horns, because if GT4 did, then Famine could also bleep his horn, when he wants people to move out of the way.

To bad i don't have a horn from a children's bicycle any more.
Else i would bring it for him to use :)

Are these the common sockets used in the uk?
cliff_british_electrical_socket.jpg

Then there is a problem, since the continental European sockets are different.
If someone could bring a European to UK converter plug, then i can bring an extension cord so that we can plug in multiple european ps2's and dfp's.

I've got a couple of convertors - electric razors are usually european-type two-pin plugs.

UNLESS SIGNPOSTED OTHERWISE, all other roads are:
Two-or-more-lanes in each direction: 70mph (112km/h)

It's not often one has to correct Famine, but technically it's only a 70mph limit on a "2-or-more lanes in each direction" road if there's a central reservation or crash barrier. Otherwise it's a 60mph limit! ;)

Hahaha! Complaining about mere hundreds-of-miles. :rolleyes:
Swift will make around 7000 mile roundtrip! :scared:
Which has all but my own 11400 mile roundtrip beaten!

Also, wouldn't Smallhorses be competent in English? Seeing as it is his native language? But then again, UK and US English are totally different.

I'm fluent in both! ;) I speak English English 'cos it's where I grew up. I now speak US English on a day to day basis 'cos sometimes the Americans don't understand me when I use certain English colloquialisms such as "can't do ________ for toffee!" & "It's been a long day, I'm knackered!"

It's not often one has to correct Famine, but technically it's only a 70mph limit on a "2-or-more lanes in each direction" road if there's a central reservation or crash barrier. Otherwise it's a 60mph limit! ;)

This is, of course, technically true - though I can't think of any occurrences of two-lane roads without a central reservation.

Not that anyone cares, because furriners will drive up the M20, M25 and A1, before a short 1 mile trip into Newark.

This is, of course, technically true - though I can't think of any occurrences of two-lane roads without a central reservation.

That's the only reason I know about this technicality! There's quite a large stretch of the A56 between Chester & Manchester that is 2 lanes either way with no centre-divide, which I used to drive very regularly when I was still living in England.
Although now they've covered it in Gatso-cameras and lowered the limits to 50mph in places. :grumpy:

Is all of the equipment going to be staying in the school hall for the Saturday night? Parents are a bit wary of it all being in there when it's not insured. If possible, they will pack all the stuff into the car for the night so it's safer.

G.T
Is all of the equipment going to be staying in the school hall for the Saturday night? Parents are a bit wary of it all being in there when it's not insured. If possible, they will pack all the stuff into the car for the night so it's safer.

Yes it will.

A car is a window away from having your stuff nicked - at least in the school hall it's out of sight and behind locked doors.

They didn't realise it was in a school, so all is now fine. They must have thought it takes place in an old shed or something. :lol:

"Mind the pots!"

A question...

Do any of the members attending smoke? If so will people be smoking in the hall?

As it's in a school I'm gathering nay?

As of November last year it's illegal to smoke anywhere on a school site. INSIDE the hall is a massive no-no, but just outside should be fine.

Latest Posts

Back