UKGTP7 - UKGTP International (5th-7th May)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,152 comments
I've not seen the Captain around lately.

6 people playing every race requires 1 LAN. However, 1 LAN can also serve as many people as possible, but practically-speaking up to 11. We've had 14 people on one, in fact, and it was still workable. Last time out we had 10 on the six machines and it was perfectly serviceable and no-one got too bored.

I have worked out a solution for 22 people on 2 LANs where everyone gets to drive at least every other race and doesn't end up racing the same people every time. It's quite ingenious, even if I do say so myself.

I'm just idly curious how many nationalities we've got coming... English, Scottish, Belgian, Spanish, American... Anything else?

Members of the Cornwall for Independence party? ;)

Clever system, Famine.

Oi what?

Oi as in the start to the song Blur - Parklife? because if it is i'll have to go and listen to that song.

:D

"Oi" as in take a look at the avatar and don't diss the Holy TVR :).

Rubbings racing ;)

That may indeed be true ... but it's not so funny when the one you're bashing has a sword at hand ... :P.

Truth be told, if there's not going to be proper race regulation then it's all a bit of a waste of time. I'm not driving over to Newark, having gone through all the hassle of disconnecting and packing my stuff, pay the price of staying in hotels just to have some numpty ram into me on turn 1.

Maybe once we're all millionaires and can do it for real the 'rammers and slammers' can be winnowed out. Alternatively, once we're all millionaires and can afford PS3's, the new, custom, just-for-GT force feedback wheels, the micro-transaction cars ... well you get the idea.

sukerkin has a point though - travelling umpty miles at the expense of umpty quid to find yourself being Jenna Jameson isn't the definition of "fun". Unless you're into that kind of thing.

But, as I said, nothing except my own indiscretion with the Tuscan and the loving tete-a-tete EXelero and VEXD had in Group B road cars at the Nurburgring in the last two UKGTPs have been censurable.

All drivers know what I expect of them - honest racing. Some guys haven't come before, so might not be aware of how I define this, but it basically boils down to...

• If you gain a position through "underhand means" (wallriding, grasscutting or nerfing the guy in front of you off the track), you're expected to give it up - I collected the majority of the pack when I overestimated my braking and, though it wasn't a deliberate move, I pulled off the racing line and allowed the whole pack to pass before I continued.
  • One move and one move only on the straights. If you're relying on blocking to stop your opponents getting past, you may as well be racing the retarded AI - and you don't need to be in Newark for that.

If you don't think you can live with that, don't come. Anyone who has been to a UKGTP before can live with it and has proven it - and to be fair it's just not that hard to do, without giving up anything in aggressive driving or laptime.

Of course, there's always "racing incidents". At UKGTP3, almost all of the "racing incidents" involved me somehow collecting Mr. P - yet not one of them was deliberate. At UKGTP4, sukerkin was mainly on the receiving end, so one can understand he might have developed a complex about it. There's things you just can't help or avoid - but nevertheless, "gentlemanly conduct" is the order of the day. We're all at the same place for the same thing - FUN. While "rules" might seem to be the antithesis of fun, there has to be a common framework for us all to abide by, because getting reamed, even by accident is NOT fun.

Remember - there's always the next race.

:D

"Oi" as in take a look at the avatar and don't diss the Holy TVR :).

Da, comrade!

(they were referring to long-term floating voter member "TVR&Ferrari_Fan", the Schroedinger's Attendee. He's either coming or he's not, and we won't know until the day arrives and we look in his box)

pwnexplode.gif

i'm so glad to see that Sukerkin is attending. The only person not attending now, that would be great to see again is Wastegate. :bowdown: :bowdown:
i'm looking forward to seeing the regulars again too!

i think the nurse is a good idea so am considering doing a first aid course before i attend!!

just to reassure those who are worried bout the racing structure, i think anyone who has been to a lan before will agree, that some of the races are much more fun to watch than actually be part of! 👍

theres a major part of equipment missing off your list though famine. cameras are a must!
the school is also after a bit of publicity locally to advertise the rental of it's hall, so there may be cameras from the local newspaper. hope everyone is willing to say cheese for the local press?!

the hall is booked for all 3 days at the moment at £225. we need to give them at least 2 weeks notice of cancellation for the Monday. we've often toyed with the idea of a 24hour lan.....
maybe now is the time?! (would just have to check health and safety with the caretaker)

theres a major part of equipment missing off your list though famine. cameras are a must!
the school is also after a bit of publicity locally to advertise the rental of it's hall, so there may be cameras from the local newspaper. hope everyone is willing to say cheese for the local press?!
Cool 👍 I'll wear my best frock. UKGTP will be famous across the Lan'd!

we've often toyed with the idea of a 24hour lan.....
maybe now is the time?! (would just have to check health and safety with the caretaker)
Nurburgring 24-hour! :drool: He he, there's so many people coming this time, we'd only have to do one hour each!

)

I'll be sure to wear my N.A.M.B.L.A sweat-shirt in that case 👍

- How about expanding the usual 1 hour enduro to a 'La Sarthe 2.4hr' race. Teams of 3 instead of 2?

Sadly the 24hr idea mightn't be possible with directly competing LAN drivers, since I believe the maximum number of laps for a head-to-head race is 50.

It'd have to be 3 machines running Sarthe I or II simultaneously which means you'd have to resort to dodging 5 dumb AI drivers. (I'd hate to see sukerkin trying to take on one of the AI with sword! :P Glad it's not my equipment we're using if that's the case!!! :lol: )

(they were referring to long-term floating voter member "TVR&Ferrari_Fan", the Schroedinger's Attendee. He's either coming or he's not, and we won't know until the day arrives and we look in his box)
I'm not looking in his box. I'll leave that up to the professionals

i think the nurse is a good idea so am considering doing a first aid course before i attend!!
Do you get a nurses oufit just for doing a first aid course? 💡

Sadly the 24hr idea mightn't be possible with directly competing LAN drivers, since I believe the maximum number of laps for a head-to-head race is 50.
Gah! Spoilsport! But if we do a 24hr race, you'd have somewhere to sleep...

(I'd hate to see sukerkin trying to take on one of the AI with sword! :P Glad it's not my equipment we're using if that's the case!!! :lol: )

ROFL ... I have to shamefacedly admit that the AI has been previously threatened with lethal 'shinkage' in one of my worst rant-fests (that's the one where I threw the table across the room, whilst it was laden with TV, PS2, three PC's and two monitors, via the handy lever of the DFP).

However, I'm much more respectful of other people's kit (which is just as well as that incident is why one of my DFP's has a bit of a glitch :embarrassed:).

I hope that we can get an endurance of some sort running - my favourite LAN race of all time was when we ran Grand Valley enduro in teams. Daan and I made a good combo as we're both pretty smooth drivers and nursing the tyres almost allowed us to sneak a win over more powerful machines.

I hope that we can get an endurance of some sort running - my favourite LAN race of all time was when we ran Grand Valley enduro in teams. Daan and I made a good combo as we're both pretty smooth drivers and nursing the tyres almost allowed us to sneak a win over more powerful machines.

There has been a 50 lap enduro in the Clio racer at the last 2 UKGTPs. We were split up into teams of 2 or 3, in a seemingly random fashion by Famine (He says he used some kind of handicap system, but I'm not so sure...) Famine's handicap for the first enduro was TheCracker.... only because Dan was forced to use auto for the first time :dopey:

There has been a 50 lap enduro in the Clio racer at the last 2 UKGTPs. We were split up into teams of 2 or 3, in a seemingly random fashion by Famine (He says he used some kind of handicap system, but I'm not so sure...) Famine's handicap for the first enduro was TheCracker.... only because Dan was forced to use auto for the first time :dopey:

And there will also be one in this. I love the Clio enduros, and they're rapidly becoming a signature event.

"Pit in next lap" :D

The system is "fastest driver so far paired with least fastest driver so far". Not complicated - else my retarded laptop wouldn't cope with it.

And there will also be one in this. I love the Clio enduros, and they're rapidly becoming a signature event.
May I request a longer lap than Grand Valley East? Us smooth drivers (i.e. me!) gained nothing as making fewer pitstops wasn't possible. Everyone was doing 10 lap stints. Me being able to do 11 didn't make any difference in the 50 lap race. Deep Forest enabled Nick and myself to make 1 fewer pitstops than everyone else (with the exception of Roo and Evil Dave. ED drove the last 3 laps on red tyres.)

The system is "fastest driver so far paired with least fastest driver so far".
Yeah, and then "everyone else placed randomly" :dopey:

if (soon to be) mrs famine comes along, as he has sincerly promised, i think we should save the wipe clean nurses outfit for her! :sly:

A bit hasty to judge their Exelero, what's stopping it from being the other way around? ;)

I can bring my DigiCam, it'll fit loads of Photos, 8M pixels too so it looks 'pukka'.

At present, the future Mrs. Famine won't be travelling up with me - she's not very good at travelling long distances (possibly not helped by the person driving her).

Smallhorses, i have the big room (Again! This will make it 3 times out of 3 being in the same room) along with swift and diego and your more than welcome to set up camp on the floor or the spare bed if one is available. Im pretty sure swift and diego wont have any problems either, if they do i can always leave one of them behind in london :)

Spec....

Back