UKGTP9 - The Nono

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 463 comments
Which cuts your total journey distance down by about 0.03%, right?
And the road to Banbury is motorway all the way. The roads in Wales are all single track with cattle grids, aren't they?

Well i don't know about you guys but may is out of the question for me as Holland is on the books. That is not one im gonna miss and im hoping the sun is out there too :D

And the road to Banbury is motorway all the way. The roads in Wales are all single track with cattle grids, aren't they?

Nearly. One of my best driving experiences ever was on the roads south of my parents' place, in one of the smaller company cars. Oh, it was sublime.

Coming from ooop'north, I'd go past Manchester on the M6, M56 West for a teeny bit, A49 South past Shrewsbury, off at Craven Arms on to the 'lil road to Clun (B4368), then south to Knighton on A488, then Knucklas on B4355 (watch out for coppers in th 30 zone as you go out of the village.)

But this is off-topic.

Anyhow, Exelero and Spec have already offered Newark. So that's the venue set: oi, Cass, I claim your spare bedroom. (Touche - got you back! Kevin the Gerbil, my bottom. :mischievous::D)

I suppose I can dig up Gaydon Motor Hertiage Centre hire again, they were the only place that could hold us at 3 LAN size. They were fairly reasonable on cost, but you'll have to organise your own accomodation though. And bring a stealth packed lunch.

Just had a chat with Exelero and you can count the pair of us coming to the lan. We wouldn't mind hosting the lan in good old newark either, so at least there is one pretty much guarenteed location :)

Spec....

Anyhow, Exelero and Spec have already offered Newark. So that's the venue set: oi, Cass, I claim your spare bedroom. (Touche - got you back! Kevin the Gerbil, my bottom. :mischievous::D)

Actually chaps.....

as an after thought Newark isn't on the cards! I worked my ass of for the last lan sorting it and prizes etc. its just no fun. I've organised 3 now and then faced all your sarky comments about the place. Its obviously not good enough for you despite the fact that the UKGTP Champion lives there!! Im also hoping that i too will be at the Dutch lan so won't have time! No one will really miss the Rutland anyway. Will they?? :crazy:

@ Venari

That's 29 miles closer to me than Banbury is...

I'm guessing we've got another vote for banbury then as a preferred location?

I'm guessing we've got another vote for banbury then as a preferred location?
No. I have no preferred location. I'll have a 3 or 4 hour drive no matter where it is.

I've got no problem with going to Scotland. I've still never been. I hear it's quite nice up there.

Hey Exelero, have you beaten Spec up yet for making such wild suggestions? If he said he was going to host it, let him do it. ;) :mischievous:

I thought it was fun, organising it at Banbury. As I said, no problem for October. But May, unless we go out of town, it's a bugger. Costs for Gaydon still same.

People still owe me money, actually. You know who you are, lurkers. Better have your wallets ready at the Nono. :D

You know, something sounds good to me about Lincolnshire, doesn't it to you? Just say it..Linc-oln-shire. Mmm...doesn't that sound good?

I've got no problem with going to Scotland. I've still never been. I hear it's quite nice up there.

Hey Exelero, have you beaten Spec up yet for making such wild suggestions? If he said he was going to host it, let him do it. ;) :mischievous:

I thought it was fun, organising it at Banbury. As I said, no problem for October. But May, unless we go out of town, it's a bugger. Costs for Gaydon still same.

People still owe me money, actually. You know who you are, lurkers. Better have your wallets ready at the Nono. :D

Yes, Venari put a hell of alot of money, I mean effort into the ocho for us, the people owing money should pay immediately

You know, something sounds good to me about Lincolnshire, doesn't it to you? Just say it..Linc-oln-shire. Mmm...doesn't that sound good?

Find a venue and it'll sound wonderful.

HA HA HA! Me host a lan myself :lol:............. :scared:

After further talks with the missus and for reasons she explained above, us hosting a lan is doubtful. Ill still take the bottom spanking if you dont mind though :embarrassed:

Spec

Find a venue and it'll sound wonderful.

I wish. Probelm being is that how on earth am I, a 15 year old, supposed to set something up? I mean I would love too, but I couldn't if you see what I mean.

Ask around. Ask at school - would they be willing to lend us a (large) room for a weekend in May in exchange for some monies? Do you know of any other halls that would let us take over?

Are there any hotels and shops within walking distance?

That's pretty much it.

I'm sure I can find a couple of venues in daventry. Tesco would be nearby aswell as greggs, mcadonalds a short walk etc.

I'm sure I can find a couple of venues in daventry. Tesco would be nearby aswell as greggs, mcadonalds a short walk etc.

As I said to you before, why bring these nice people to this drag of a town?
Off the top of my head i'd say 3 places in Daventry that would be good and quite cheap.

All we need is:
  • Space for three sets of three standard school tables long by three standard school tables wide.
  • Nine standard school tables or equivalents.
  • Plentiful power points.
  • £10 per person per day (or less) for 15 people - 15 is an ideal set for races, getting cheaper as more people join up. So no more than £300 for venue hire.
  • Safeish car parking.
  • Secure area - so that equipment can be locked away overnight and there's no chance of invasion from curious feckless chavlets.
  • Food included is good. Otherwise, local amenities for getting food is a must.

That's all the venue organiser should ensure. Any extras are entirely down to their fiat (or Aston)

All we need is:
  • Space for three sets of three standard school tables long by three standard school tables wide.
  • Nine standard school tables or equivalents.
  • Plentiful power points.
  • £10 per person per day (or less) for 15 people - 15 is an ideal set for races, getting cheaper as more people join up. So no more than £300 for venue hire.
  • Safeish car parking.
  • Secure area - so that equipment can be locked away overnight and there's no chance of invasion from curious feckless chavlets.
  • Food included is good. Otherwise, local amenities for getting food is a must.
That's all the venue organiser should ensure. Any extras are entirely down to their fiat (or Aston)

its a pity you all cussed little ol' Newark so much. it had everything in your list and was dirt cheap!! it was easy to get to, i was more than happy to lay on grub or let you go to Morrisons as well as it being easily accessable.....

i think my prizes were pretty darn good too. i noticed a few of you showing them off at the banbury lan! 👍
oh hum!

i am considering Lincoln University itself as a venue tho. there are lots of suitable places depending on bookings, theres plenty of bars and accomodation right across the bray. The Engine Shed which is right on the door step has become one of the main venues in Lincs for bands and comedians alike. I'm sure equipment would be extremely safe but the only snag is parking. i think i would have to arrange parking permits, but i cant be sure how close to the actual event that would be....

should i look into it or not?

I never cussed the venue... Newark itself, on the other hand...

As for Lincoln Uni - if you think we'll be safe from the rampaging hordes of jocks, neo-communists and debating society gonks, go for it :D

Since the Dutch LAN is May Day weekend, we'll aim for Spring Bank Hollibobs weekend (Sat 24th - Mon 26th, I think)

:odd: I thought Newark was great. I don't recall anyone seriously dissing the place, certainly not the venue which had everything you could hope for for a LAN. Even the Rutland has it's own....'charms'. It would be a real shame if we never went there again. :guilty:

why bring these nice people to this drag of a town?
Who are these "nice people"?

I don't think anyone was seriously dissing Newark. It was just an easy target with its annagramatical name and diswbled sign. The venue was great, easy access to Morrisons, and the hostess with the mostest...

I can hardly talk, and I know everyone wants it on their doorstep; AND I've only been to one UKGTP, but I thought Banbury's venue was very convinient: Enough space,Hotel upstiars, bar 10 seconds away, bowling a short walk, shopping even shorter, plenty of parking.

I know people want variety and I was only listing the points from the ONLY venue I have been to, but Banbury is pretty good.

I never cussed the venue... Newark itself, on the other hand...

As for Lincoln Uni - if you think we'll be safe from the rampaging hordes of jocks, neo-communists and debating society gonks, go for it :D

Since the Dutch LAN is May Day weekend, we'll aim for Spring Bank Hollibobs weekend (Sat 24th - Mon 26th, I think)

I need to look up my exam days, as it could depend on those whether I attend or not. Even though I started the thread.

Bugger :ouch:

I'm going to build a LAN venue in my back garden. Hopefully will be ready for GTP 11 or 12.

Back