UKGTP9 - The Nono

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 463 comments
So I dunno how close Oxford would be for UKGTP 12 or w/e, but I hear the transportation system is far superior to the US, which I do believe, lol. So if by fate I am able to attend, can I crash the party?

Doesn't matter how close to OXford the event is. It's how close to Oxford is someone gullible enough to give you a lift there is. :)

Sorry about that Rue, I thought Exelero was in Lincolnshire, my mistake.

No, Exelero is a small spatial anomaly somewhere near Stuttgart. They say you can see it from space. In fact, they say you can only really see it from space, because if you go too close to Stuttgart (say 10km, or just outside the E52/831 junction) the colossal gravitational field that Exelero creates draws you inexorably towards it until you reach the event horizon (probably around about Büsnau) whereupon a passenger lounge entranceway opens electrically, and you get instantaneously turned into a grey ruched leather trimmed fully adjustable armchair with stereo headrest, sixteen airbags, a lumbar adjustment system which includes massage, electro-shock therapy & acupuncture, and an integral seatbelt safety system designed after studying Japanese bondage methodology.

*cough*

Sorry about that.

I dunno. This is what four days in hospital with a spontaneous pneumothorax* does to a man.

(* Oh, just Wiki it. All I know is, it bloody hurt, alright?)

You've been doing too much Venari, that's what it is...

Hope you're better, I really really feel for you with something like that!
Rest lots. That's an order!

Yes'm.

No work for a week. No lifting for two. No flying for six. No scuba-diving evah. :(

and you get instantaneously turned into a grey ruched leather trimmed fully adjustable armchair with stereo headrest, sixteen airbags, a lumbar adjustment system which includes massage, electro-shock therapy & acupuncture, and an integral seatbelt safety system designed after studying Japanese bondage methodology.

I think I had a ride in one of those at the last UKGTP meet.

Sounds nasty. How do you manage to injure yourself so much anyway?

No travelling in submarines or zero gravity ;)

A spontaneous pnemothorax isn't usually injury related. It just happens, hence spontaneous.
Although, it can be due to moving in a different way and making a teeny weeny little tear in the lining of the lung. Ouchy McOuch.

It does sound a bit odd, though - I know what a pneumothorax is ([smartass]and how to treat it from a First Aid point of view[/smartass]) - why would it just tear like that? If you had a broken rib or something to tear it on, sure, that's understandable, but spontaneous? I like my injuries to have a reason behind them, preferably something really manly like saving a busfull of school children from a zombieninjapirate attack or something.

You know how you can pull a muscle/ligament/tendon etc by twisting or doing too much?
You physically tear fibres and that's what causes the pain. You may find that in future, that muscle will get 'pulled' more easily and cause you pain everytime you do a certain activity...?

It's easy to weaken any type of body tissue, lungs included. Illnesses such as chest infections, or just smoking can cause scar tissue to form, or 'thinning' of the tissues. Like a stomach ulcer is caused by thinning of the stomach lining. Hence why a small tear (can be the size of a pinhole to induce a spontaneous pneumothorax) can occur really easily and right itself just as easily, depending on the size of the hole.

Much as i'm hoping you understand what i'm trying to get at, I equally understand I may well come across as if i'm waffling a load of rubbish to you :lol:

Like roo said, Exelero lives in nottinghamshire. May i ask where abouts in lincolnshire your from? Newark (where we are proposing the lan be held) is pretty easy to get to by train and is only a few stops from Lincoln Central train station. That train costs about £4 so its hardly breaking the bank. We would arrange for somebody to come meet you, probably be me or the missus, from the station too so you wouldnt have to wander around trying to find your way, not that newark is that big anyway!

Spec....

Haha! I don't even have to do that!

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Hehehe! This could mean me coming could be a YES.

*Oh and sorry Roo for calling you Rue...

Roo
Sounds nasty. How do you manage to injure yourself so much anyway?

Well, I think I was drinking apple juice at the time. Let it be known, kids. Fruit is bad for you.

No travelling in submarines or zero gravity ;)

A spontaneous pnemothorax isn't usually injury related. It just happens, hence spontaneous.
Although, it can be due to moving in a different way and making a teeny weeny little tear in the lining of the lung. Ouchy McOuch.

Seriously, what MC said. It's fairly common in blokes of my age and build. Smokers even worse (because hey, apparently, smoking is bad for you - who knew?) It's as random as a blood vessel bursting. i must have a small fault (read tiny, as MC said) and it went all one-way-valve-ninja-chest-kick on my boney ass.

Although I'm going to miss the zero-g activities. I mean, you haven't lived until you've joined the 100-mile-high club...

Are you pregnant?

Strange, and I thought that was a dream about Tara the staff nurse. Cool...

I hope your morale isn't too deflated Venari....*runs*

[meta video="tumbleweed/dark" soundeffect="eerie_wind/crickets"] Riiight. [/meta] :D

It's a pity everyone needs it to be where has been suggested because I know of a brilliant halls of residence I used to go to in Taunton that has a large sports hall with internet connections nearby, plenty of parking, secure areas, a massive field with a barbecue area and a proper bar upstairs too! Although the only accomodation would be one of the rooms if you managed to pull...

And the nearest place for food is 3 miles away.

Like roo said, Exelero lives in nottinghamshire. May i ask where abouts in lincolnshire your from? Newark (where we are proposing the lan be held) is pretty easy to get to by train and is only a few stops from Lincoln Central train station. That train costs about £4 so its hardly breaking the bank. We would arrange for somebody to come meet you, probably be me or the missus, from the station too so you wouldnt have to wander around trying to find your way, not that newark is that big anyway!

Spec....

There's also plenty rape on the way to Newark. And once there you can even go cow shooting with daan and Spec... fun for everyone!

It's a pity everyone needs it to be where has been suggested because I know of a brilliant halls of residence I used to go to in Taunton that has a large sports hall with internet connections nearby, plenty of parking, secure areas, a massive field with a barbecue area and a proper bar upstairs too! Although the only accomodation would be one of the rooms if you managed to pull...

And the nearest place for food is 3 miles away.

Do I see an October venue for UKGTPX?

There's also plenty rape on the way to Newark.

Pardon?!

And once there you can even go cow shooting with daan and Spec... fun for everyone!

Strange, and daan seemed like such a nice man. :D

rightio chaps, heres the situation as stands at the moment....

with our thinking caps on, spec and i decided that we could probably find a better location for the lan than the school (as ideal as it is, but ignoring the damage incidents involving Dustdriver and bouncy balls and the whole tea urn saga), so after some indepth brainstorming i went in and had a chat with my good friend David at the ol' famous Rutland Arms and this is what he said....

we can use the pub's own function room for the event, park (and stay parked) right outside the event and sleep upstairs from the event (and eat too if you have your steel stomach with you), and dont forget the added bonus of it being a pub so beer would be easily accessable all day (and night).i'm afraid i can't guaruntee ladies singing from toilets tho... on top of this it will only cost a measley one hundred of the queen's finest pounds to do so. sounds too good to be true eh??? there is just one tiny little snag, there is already a party booked in that room from eight pm on the saturday night so it would mean that we have to clear up our stuff at around six and cart it off upstairs to rooms and set up again on the sunday. a bit of a pain i know, but this would allow us to not have to pay for saturday rental!!! a small price to pay me thinks plus its not as if equipment has to be carried a huge distance and it would be more than safe in attendees rooms. for those who like a ciggy now and again, thats pretty sorted too as you can just open the fire doors to the function room and stand there for a smoke so non of the action is missed!

as of now all the rooms upstairs are unbooked. they have 25 in all with 6 of them being family rooms, so people can share and cut costs even further.

anything i've missed?

your thoughts and comments greatly appreciated (unless your names nigel and your just gonna give a one line smart arsed quip!! ;)

any further questions, pm myself of spec.... ok?

Accidents involving me and bouncing balls are not an issue, since i'm not coming :)
Certain Dutch guys will get the opportunity to get free headaches ;)

i'm afraid i can't guaruntee ladies singing from toilets tho...

We'll find something for you to do lass, don't worry.

your thoughts and comments greatly appreciated (unless your names nigel and your just gonna give a one line smart arsed quip!!

Touché

Rutland Arms? iirc at UKGTP7 I didn't go to the pub so I don't know, of course it depends how much stuff we have and how many LANs we have. I still need to check and work out my exam stuff, the date is the bank holiday weekend isn't it?

right, quick update....

the venue of the Rutland arms is now booked for the second bank holiday weekend in May which is the 24th/25th and 26th! the party that was gonna take place on the Saturday night has now been rearranged, so we no longer need to worry about packing away stuff, but if we can fill at least 10 beds in the hotel (!!!) then the price will remain at 100 smackers. to make sure that theres no confussion bout this, if rooms are booked through spec.... or myself then we can make sure we keep our discount. howz that?? all those in favour say 'i'

@ Nigel - We already ordered the tu-tu and fairy wings in your size so i guess that roles been filled. theres a stage in the function room with a spot light just for you.... 👍:eek:

I'd like to make a suggestion though. Is it any way possible for some (or most) of the attendees to actually take some holiday time and extend the LAN to 4 days or so? I know going to Newark for a 'different' weekend is no big deal, but some of us are going to another country for a weekend. Just a thought.

Oh, and Ben has to pick me up at the airport...

I am a knight who says; 'i'.

I'll have a bed, ta. PM sent, and all that jazz.

So...

We have a room for 3 days which costs £100 in total.

We have an onsite hotel and pub (will they serve us in the back?)

We have space for 3 LANs?

And, lastly, we have available parking?

I shall be counting myself in and starting with the bastard car testing then, I guess. Unless someone else wants to volunteer to give it a go...? :D

Latest Posts

Back